• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue U.S., April 17, 2008

Im more of a fan of the time trials. No long load times, people (hosts) dropping just because they are losing, bumper cars.

This IMO is the worst part of online play- You don't know who you are playing against- an Adult, or an 11 year old. Last time I was online I was in the last lap of a p700 event and the leader spun out. about 2 seconds later we got disconnected from the server... 3 minutes later after waiting to be rematched I end up in the game with the same guys- and the same thing happens- leader starts losing and quits the race- everyone gets disconnected.

For the bumper cars guys- If you tag your brakes hard going into a corner you will go clear (collision avoidance), and they will run right through you into a wall or whatever- then they will get pissed, and quit the game causing everyone to get disconnected...

Hopefully there will be a patch in the near future so we can pick our races- like private matches in COD4- one person is a host- they pick a track, choose the rules, set number of laps and then invite friends to have at it.

BTW- my PSN username is Adidac425 in case any of you see me online. I am usually running a Blue F430. I try to run as clean a race as I can.

Philip

Time trials and drift trials have always been specific to each car and have always been available on all tracks (simply access through arcade mode). While it is fun to see how you rank, you don't make any credits from these...so I won't be doing these until I earn my F2007.

I won't be doing them either at the moment because i dont have the money for the cars. :rolleyes: Just got enough to get my F430. Once I get enough for an NSX, or whatever car is needed I might hop back on. All the other time trials from before are now closed.

Just sucking it up atm and running my Blue Viper as my money maker in the S-Event where you try to pass everyone in 5 laps around the Daytona Speedway. Lots of drafting. Had a crazy race last night I saved where I won by drafting, and passing the lead car a few yards from the finish. I won the race by only .03 seconds. Was a nice rush. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Hmmm...

I'm not too sure how I feel about the penalty system... I think the BEST penalty system would be to have to pay for damage on your car after each race.

Also, from what I've read, the penalty system seems to not be very "smart." I think the easiest way to make the penalty system work at least the vast majority of the time would be to impose the penalty on the car that pushed it's opponent (i.e. caused another car to move in a direction other than what that car's "controller input" was). But if the AI isn't abosulutely perfect, I can see how a penalty system for car-to-car collisions would piss people off really quick.

The rubberband effect might make races more fun... but I would sure hope it's optional.

I'm just crossing my fingers that Polyphony Digital is paying close attention to the attitudes being expressed about how different players feel about the online racing experience.

We, the ones who want this to be a serious racing sim, obviously want to race clean without rubber-banding and to seriously penalize those who do not play by the rules (recording those who consistently do not so that they are banned from events with people like us). I personally prefer a flag system with penalties like forcing people down the pit lanes (rather than speed limiting and ghosting cars) and damage that affects performance to the point of retiring someone from a race. I even like the idea of having to qualify for events as a means for matching rather than just waiting for a bar to finish (i.e. you keep lapping the circuit you want to play on until a match becomes available...and then actual lap times can place you on the grid with other racers). I mean, why not, right?

The majority of players, however, may be more interested in a system like the current with automated matching...and I suspect some would even like to disable the penalty system altogether so they can play bumper cars. They may want damage, but I'm guessing they may not want it to affect their performance dramatically...more of a cosmetic thing a la Burnout. The game should not exclude this group, but should accommodate them in a way that makes sense.

Either way, I would hope the game itself can monitor how the player plays it to make these decisions since I suspect some people would want to subvert the system as much as they can.

In game communication via headset, private races with friends, car clubs, racing leagues with time/date scheduled events with qualifying sessions leading up to championship series...I'm hoping all of these are in the works for the full game.

Im a little late to the game but I picked up a PS3 and the GT5 Prologue and have begun with the fun. I was too lazy to read the whole thread but I have a couple questions:

1: When the "final" vesion of GT5 is released will it just be a free download for those that have the Prolugue?

2: How the hell do I pass the High Speed Ring on the B class license in that slow little Type R? Best I can do is 6th place and thats the last event I need to pass to move on to the final license class.

I played online for the first time last night and had a few nice matchups. Most of my races were one on one with another player.

3: Is there any way to set up races with friends?

4: Is a record of your online races kept somewhere?

Thanks

Im a little late to the game but I picked up a PS3 and the GT5 Prologue and have begun with the fun. I was too lazy to read the whole thread but I have a couple questions:

1: When the "final" vesion of GT5 is released will it just be a free download for those that have the Prolugue? Probably not...

2: How the hell do I pass the High Speed Ring on the B class license in that slow little Type R? Best I can do is 6th place and thats the last event I need to pass to move on to the final license class. Save up and buy a faster car...

I played online for the first time last night and had a few nice matchups. Most of my races were one on one with another player.

3: Is there any way to set up races with friends? Not with prologue... not sure if this will be an option in the final release.

4: Is a record of your online races kept somewhere? Yes

Thanks

CIL (might want to read this thread, or start playing the game some more.

already read the thread and some of my questions arent answered.........doesnt matter anyway I already moved on to A class and see now that for some strange reason people dont want to be helpful on this subject............whatever.............. my questions can all be answered on other boards dedicated to PS3 anyway..........

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=26172"/> <param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=26172" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object>

This video is a little bit off topic, but there is footage of an NSX-R in there. It's based on Project Gotham Racing 4.

Wow...I blink and miss a chance to be helpful:

1: When the "final" vesion of GT5 is released will it just be a free download for those that have the Prolugue?

Date not yet announced, but hopeful estimates place it at the end of the year in Japan and spring 2009 in North America. It will likely not be a free download for Prologue...but you will probably be able to transfer some of your accomplishments from Prologue to GT5 (perhaps getting out of the early license tests, perhaps credits, perhaps cars).

There is at least one free download update coming to Prologue this fall...the one that supposedly will add damage.

: How the hell do I pass the High Speed Ring on the B class license in that slow little Type R? Best I can do is 6th place and thats the last event I need to pass to move on to the final license class.

There's one race like this in A Class and, after you beat A Class, another in S Class...each progressively more difficult. Once you beat them, it isn't hard to beat them again. Just practice, paying close attention to how the AI cars are clustered and how they position themselves on turns...and then take advantage. Since these events are 1 lap only, you can repeat them quite quickly to earn credits. I've finished the F40 one in S Class in 3rd place more times than I'd care to admit, 2nd several times, but only once beat it in 1st.

There is a lot more action on weekends. Some of the best online experiences can be found in the professional physics events as it weeds out a lot (though not all) of the bumper car guys (750pp Suzuka is consistently pretty good...and earns 50,000cr with a win). I've been in many good races with 8-12 players. Unfortunately, I've been in just as many events that end prematurely (whoever hosts can kill an event at any time...seems to happen whenever I retake the lead).

3: Is there any way to set up races with friends?

Not yet...hopefully in an update that comes sooner than later. Your best strategy is to tell your friends to join races on the fives (every five minutes of the actual clock). As long as all of your PS3 clocks have been set to Internet time, you have a fairly good chance of joining the same races since there aren't THAT many players playing online right now.

4: Is a record of your online races kept somewhere?

As far as I know, only time trials and drift trials update the online rankings. Not sure why so many people quit out of races, because losing just means not earning any credits...and online events can earn quite a bit even when you finish last (especially if you are only in a two car race).

Some potentially useful info has been compiled here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_5_Prologue

"in terms of quality and features of the game, and in terms of functionality, GT5 Prologue will ultimately reach an equivalent level to GT5. I think the major difference between Prologue and GT5 will be the number of cars and courses that will be included within the game, in that there will be many more."

Thanks Akira............nice to see that good friendly Prime spirit is still active.

I did end up passing the speed ring with the ITR but I had to make some changes in the driving set up. I forget what changes I made and have no idea how it affected the car but as soon as I made the changes I was able to easily reach 3rd place and complete the event.

I played online again last night only using the EVO X and was able to win every event even though it was usually only 1 or 2 other opponents but I still picked up 12,000 credits for every win and that helped me get to 200,000 so I could pick up the tuned ZO6 I wanted which I quickly used to clear 3 of the events in A class.

How does the computer decide who will host the game? I seem to always be hosting.........at least I think I am hosting..........is the host always placed in the lead?

I did find the area where they do keep a record of the best times which is cool for bragging rights.............

Thanks Akira............nice to see that good friendly Prime spirit is still active.

Considering that I've started practically every Prime thread regarding the Gran Turismo games, how could I not be more helpful?

Hosting races online is a matter of timing. Speed of connecting is definitely dependent upon the demand for a particular event or if someone else has already created a race...so the bar goes painfully slow when no one is around. If no one is available to join your race as the bar reaches the right, you will create (i.e. host) a race. There is a period of time the game waits to see if anyone else wants to jump in after you have created a race, but this is pretty short...and you will get disconnected from the server if no one joins.

The time from requesting an event to disconnecting from the server is easily the length of the event...so I get really frustrated when this happens and usually look for another event right away.

When an event has a lot of waiting players, the bar goes really fast. Connecting on the fives definitely increases your chance of a fast connection, but decreases your chances of hosting (I've rarely hosted an event with many players).

From what people can tell on gtplanet, the downstream/upstream bandwidth (likely more dependent upon the upstream since that is the choke point for many of us) of the person creating a race is largely responsible for how many players can join a race. I have been able to host as many as eight players. Others have been able to host 16...though those races often get aborted due to weird lag issues (like jumpy cars).

Note that once you open up the S Class events, you have access to the Quick Tune menu...which is essential for getting the best performance out of each car (and, to a degree, can help you get golds in some earlier class events). It becomes a challenge to optimize each car for each of the performance point based events (I like using the Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car in 750pp events).

BTW, I upgraded from the Driving Force Pro to the Driving Force GT this week, though I have not yet had a chance to take her for a test drive. I'll post my impressions once I do. :D

At this point, I have earned 1.7mil credits and am itching to earn that last 300,000 to buy the F2007. I did create an alternate save game at work where I sold off all but a few of my cars so I could preview the F2007, but I don't have a wheel at work. It looks and sounds bad a$$! Curious to see how it feels with the DFGT.

Incidentally, the game doesn't let you accumulate more than 2,000,000 credits. So as soon as you hit that mark, buy the F2007 and then start earning credits all over again. I do plan to earn gold in all of the manufacturer events as soon as I can afford to buy all of the necessary cars to complete those events. And I have a few golds to earn in the Class Events too...mainly on those time trials which can tend to occupy a huge chunk of time since I'm still far from getting gold (and, in some cases, silver).

Online events will update tomorrow...

already read the thread and some of my questions arent answered.........doesnt matter anyway I already moved on to A class and see now that for some strange reason people dont want to be helpful on this subject............whatever.............. my questions can all be answered on other boards dedicated to PS3 anyway..........

I guess my comments were missed..... :rolleyes:

I did end up passing the speed ring with the ITR but I had to make some changes in the driving set up. I forget what changes I made and have no idea how it affected the car but as soon as I made the changes I was able to easily reach 3rd place and complete the event.

I played online again last night only using the EVO X and was able to win every event even though it was usually only 1 or 2 other opponents but I still picked up 12,000 credits for every win and that helped me get to 200,000 so I could pick up the tuned ZO6 I wanted which I quickly used to clear 3 of the events in A class.

How does the computer decide who will host the game? I seem to always be hosting.........at least I think I am hosting..........is the host always placed in the lead?

I did find the area where they do keep a record of the best times which is cool for bragging rights.............

I dont mean to sound like an ass, but a lot of your questions about hosting games are answered there. It tells you how the hosting works, and if its meshed hosting or just one person hosting. This is based on network traffic.

CIL (might want to read this thread, or start playing the game some more.

I guess my comments were missed..... :rolleyes:

Which comment? The one I quoted above? Firstly I dont know what CIL means and, "read this thread" and "play the game more" werent really helpful in answering the questions I posted. BUT like I said I did go back and read the whole thread and still didnt see answers to a couple of my questions.

I dont mean to sound like an ass, but a lot of your questions about hosting games are answered there.

Where is there?

I have been playing GT5 Prologue at sister's house in Sydney last few days. I love it. Can't wait for the GT5.

There are quite a few things that it does better than Forza 2.
Graphics-it is quite a bit better, cars models are prettier, it almost look real.
No damage-I actually so much prefer no damage
Game play-slight edge
Control-very slight edge

Only thing it fall really short is the car sound. Dramatic improvement over GT4, but nowhere near as good as Forza 2. The F430 did sounded really sweet.

When I was playing usng NSXR in GT5 Prologue, my brother in law said I play it at another level when I am using NSXR.

Unfortunately even if I play it to perfection, NSXR just has no chance in some of the event races. I did manage to get gold using NSX-R in a few events, but not races against R35 GTR or F430. R35 GTR's acceleration is just brutal:frown: .

It is way faster through turns than other cars but fall flat in straightline in A class. I kept on telling my bro ln law it just need 100 more hp then it is almost invincible.

i bought this game last month and finally got around to playing it last night. love the game, cant wait until you're able to buy upgrades

I doubt you'll be able to "buy" upgrades... Once you pass Class A, you can quick tune the car but S Class races have a performance limitation on each event :(

When the online events cycle today, we will see our first "world competition event" (meaning we can race people online from any region). It will be interesting to see how lag affects it.

I'm not sure what track it will be on, but it does appear to be limited to sports car class, standard physics, and 12 players. In other words, there could be a lot of bumping and grinding because pretty much anyone can join.

Okay...the "world competition event" is actually pretty damn cool for a standard physics event on the High Speed Ring. Yeah, it still has a number of idiots that like the play bumper cars, but the number and mix of people playing from regions around the world is awesome, race matching is much faster (likely due to the number of people trying to play it), and, though every race I've been in has had between 8 and 12 players, lag has been nearly absent.

Off the top of my head, I recall racing against competitors in Austrailia, New Zealand, Great Britain, Japan, TW (Taiwan?), Hong Kong, Italy, Germany, Spain, France, UAE, Canada, and the U.S. Way cool that this feels as good as it does. The mix in each race is actually pretty diverse. I was one of two or three Americans in each race.

I suspect the reason for the quality of this online event is that it is being hosted on a dedicated server. I only once had a race disconnect with the server out of dozens of races. If I try to play regional events, races are disconnected all the time by hosts who have bad races. I'm crossing my fingers that more world events / dedicated servers will come online soon.

If I can escape without being bumped, I'll finish second or third almost every time. I've led and nearly led many races only to be bumped by someone trying to catch me who decided to not brake before entering a corner. I have yet to come in first, but I've come within a nose length more than once (both times I had better exit speed than the leader on the final turn only to accidentally tap the back corner of the leader...slowing me and giving him just enough of a boost to put him across the line ahead of me). Second earns only 11,000 credits, so it is not the fastest way to make money. That said, I played enough last night to go from 1,750,000 to 2,000,000...yes, I finally got the F2007!

Since it is a "sports car class" event, both the NSX and NSX-R are allowed. I see at least four NSX-Rs each time I race (myself included). For some reason, I almost always start in last place (I'm guessing the NSX-R is the fastest car allowed in this class, but still not sure why I end up behind the other NSX-Rs).

Last edited:
I take back a bit of my enthusiasm for the world competition event. The next night was 100% ruined by bumper cars. I couldn't finish higher than ninth. Everyone seemed out to spin me. No one gave my NSX-R room to brake before entering turns. Frustrating.

So I started racing the F2007 on the London Circuit. Crazy fast and a definite rush. Turns come up so quickly and so often that the force feedback wheel gives you a real upper body workout. I could only race on it a few times before I had to take a break. Biggest problem with London and the F2007s is that it is hard to avoid hitting anyone (heck, one small lapse in judgment will turn your F2007 into a pinball bouncing between the walls). No one ever quit a race here...so I made credits very fast.

I'm using my earnings to buy the remaining cars I need for dealership events. I am very close to having gold trophies in every single player event.

Back