• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help, daily driver stolen and one of my Nsx keys was in it

Man, this has been a horrible year for my cars. First, I had an old lady banged into my Nsx, then I had someone try to break into my Nsx, and now someone stole my daily drive Lexus Es300. But to make matters worse, there was my walet with address in it with my Nsx registration and one of my Nsx keys was in it because I had to move the car and left it in there.

What do I do now. Thank goodness I did not have my house keys on there, but now what. The punk that stole it has one of my keys and knows where I live. Granted my Nsx is garaged, but I'm scared now. Why do these things keep happening.

This was in Menlo Park, NJ. I wanna get my keys exchanged now, I wonder how I should go about it. Its a 1997, so I may need a chip change right?

I think it would be alot cheaper to get an alarm installed with a starter kill option. This way even if the kid could open your car door he would not be able to start your car. I would guess the cost of an alarm install on a NSX with a good starter kil option would be less than $500

NSXG35 said:
I think it would be alot cheaper to get an alarm installed with a starter kill option. This way even if the kid could open your car door he would not be able to start your car. I would guess the cost of an alarm install on a NSX with a good starter kil option would be less than $500

If this "kid" (why do we assume its a kid?) stole an ES300 (which has a pretty advanced anti-theft system), I highly doubt an alarm with an ignition kill is going to do much. I don't know too much about alarms but I know that these crooks can work around just about anything!

My advice: Get an alarm on your house (so that if the garage goes up, your alarm goes off). Also, that way you know if anyone comes into the house. And then, I would invest in a 9mm :)

In all seriousness, good luck with this situation! It's scary!

I would get the locks and keys on your NSX changed.

Maybe your insurance company would be willing to cover the cost as part of your claim.

When my Civic got broken into, I had a spare key in it that was stolen. Basically, you will never feel safe again until the key doesn't work anymore and that means replacing all of your key cylinders.

Honda made a kit to replace all of the key cylinders and it wasn't too expensive for the Civic but I doubt that is the case with the NSX.

You will have to replace the steering column ignition, both doors, glovebox, and engine compartment latch. I may have missed one or two. The steering column part is probably the hardest followed by the doors because you will have to remove the door panels.

I would replace all the key and install alarm with 2 way page and starter kill. there is no alarm out there that can give your car 100% security but with all these mod it will help you sleep better at night.

best wish
Wind

Thanks everyone for the replies. It was during the day. I was at the gym. I left my wallet in the car. I think I will change locks and add an alarm w/starter kill. I just wonder how much the locks will cost.

Yeah, I feel violated as heck but I just can only hope for the best right now. So many things have gone wrong this year, but I cannot let this get to me too much or I'll go crazy.

i'm sorry for lost friend,

However, if he stole your Lexus without a key whats to say he cant steal your NSX even if you got the keys changed. Thats is the world we live in. Keep it garage and you should be Ok

Malibu Rapper said:
When my Civic got broken into, I had a spare key in it that was stolen. Basically, you will never feel safe again until the key doesn't work anymore and that means replacing all of your key cylinders.

Honda made a kit to replace all of the key cylinders and it wasn't too expensive for the Civic but I doubt that is the case with the NSX.

You will have to replace the steering column ignition, both doors, glovebox, and engine compartment latch. I may have missed one or two. The steering column part is probably the hardest followed by the doors because you will have to remove the door panels.

...wait. They broke into your civic and a spare key for your civic was stolen? Why would you worry then...because I am pretty sure if they wanted a grand theft charge and stole your civic they would have done it while already in the car.:confused:

very interesting story kld123... today is my day off and I planned on taking my x to nordstroms in the menlo park mall! after reading your tale I think ill drive my beater (talon turbo awd).
It upsets me that after paying all this money for the X it can be a hassle to take it places.. Nice day for a cruise and the nsx cant come and play- very upset!

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT take your Nsx to Menlo Park Mall. I had my Nsx attempted break-in there by Nordstrom.

romeo62186 said:
...wait. They broke into your civic and a spare key for your civic was stolen? Why would you worry then...because I am pretty sure if they wanted a grand theft charge and stole your civic they would have done it while already in the car.:confused:

They actually broke into my Civic to steal the stereo system worth about 6k. They couldn't take the car because I had the alarm which they snipped the siren wire to keep it from sounding off, then they disconnected the battery. In addition, I had a hidden kill switch. Hence they could not steal it and they just looted what they could off the car. My concern in replacing the doorlocks wasn't that they would steal the car again but they'd be able to get in and take my new stereo system more easily.

sorry about ur loss, i am hoping 2 have a lexus as a daily and nsx, jsut like u.
if u have the money, and wanna catch the guy, take the car out and leave it as bait, get those alarms in ur car that once borken in2 or something, it signals to the control room, and like locks all the doors, so the guy is stuck.

Back