• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help, overheating problem at Streets of Willow!

docjohn said:
fwiw I also run with my heater on at max temp and the fan on medium at every track event regardless of ambient temps.Cabin temps don't get to bad because we run with windows down.

That is a very good idea. My old E36 M3 had some over-heating problem (I believe that it is quite common), and this method often helped a lot.

MarkB said:
With what years are all of the overheating problems associated?

I have an '03 w/ CTSC/I/H/E and have never had any temp or oil pressure issues. As many here know, the car is also FREQUENTLY tracked.

Mark,
mine is 92, Tom's is 96, Ken's is 97, Nitzan's is 97, Mike's is 92, Chris Willson SoS car when I drove it at BW. I can barely make 1 lap before the temperature shoot up.

So, I don't think it is year related. Just depends on how hard you drive the car. Mine and Tom's running pure water and water wetter. Usually the first session is ok. But 2nd session and so on, will be overheating. It is what Hrant described above. Trust me, I tried everything including bleeding after each session to now succes. Tried to run scooped hood, which helped somehow, but not enough. I also think it is depends on how old is the radiator.

If I'm you, I'll upgrade to aluminum radiator and maybe the typeR hood. It has additional benefit of added downforce.

Last edited:
Andrie Hartanto said:
Ken,

you should try to take the Dali shield off. That thing should make a huge difference. Don't put anything over the radiator. See if you still have overheating issue. If you do, maybe time to upgrade? If you are up on experimenting, the RSX radiator will fit with slight modifications. There are quite a few off the shelf aluminum radiator for RSX. In my experience, fluidyne and C&R makes best radiators out there.

Hi Andrie,

Thanks for the suggestion :D. I'll try running without the shield at Thill on Friday and see how it goes.

Ken

I don't have any overheating problems with the Flamemobile on the water side, but the oil temp is getting high, even with the accusump and mini-oil cooler.

I have the stock radiator. Maybe you have crap in your radiator that has to be flushed out?

-Doug

ryneen said:
Thanks again for the info. I never even thought of bleeding the coolant system. I never checked to see if I had air in the system. This is probably one of my main problems.
Ryan

you were told to look for that in the 3rd post in this thread ! what gives ?

Apada,
No need to get hostile and start adding exclamation points to your comments. I haven't driven my car since my first post. As I mentioned I took it to Autowave to have them check it out. I've never bled my coolant system, so I left it up to them to do. I appreciate your advice, but no need to to get worked up and ask questions like "What gives?". Relax.

Ryan

Pep Boys has the Red Line wetter 12 oz on sale for $6.98

I just flushed my radiator, and the overflow reservoir is on the low end.

I guess the full bottle of wetter should be ok no? How many quarts does the radiator flush take?

Hrant

To help with heat, I would recommend running 80% distilled water and 20% coolant with Redline Water Wetter.

An engine that overheats quickly could have a slightly damaged head gasket. I had this problem on my track car (not my NSX) and just threw in a new engine after blowing the slightly damaged one (just ran it into the ground). Luckily, the engines are only $275. :)

Doug: Just curious. What's your oil temp like under race conditions? Have you tried going up to 10/40 or 15/50?

Slightly off topic but: Those of you who track regularly. Which of the following combination do you guys use for cooling and Why? I track my car 6-8 HPDE's per year. The car is never driven in Temps below 40 degrees F. However, it frequently sees temps greater than 90 degrees F.

A. Honda Type II coolant.
B. Honda Coolant and distilled water/ Red line
C. Honda Coolant and distilled water.

I need to flush my coolant and was debating between the choices.

TIA

B, but in lesser and lesser amounts of coolant and more and more amounts of water and Redline.

JChoice said:

Doug: Just curious. What's your oil temp like under race conditions? Have you tried going up to 10/40 or 15/50?

I'm above 250/260 on the oil when I am on it full bore.

I haven't tried a different oil, I just run what Comptech thinks is best. (I can't remember the weight, it is Redline oil).

-Doug

Doug,

Is 250/260F high for oil temp in the nsx? My stock '91 runs that hot on track. :eek:

Maybe you should consider using an oil cooler.

Henry.

Using an oil cooler, with Accusump (3 qts), and the new Motul synthetic 5-40W my oil temp at Infineon yesterday was 260F at its peak. Ambient temps was in the high 80s to low 90s. Water temp maxed at 210F which tells me most likely my OEM water temp gauge may have been set too low when it reached a bar below red line or faulty. I had about 60/40 water/antifreeze. Also new was the baffled overflow bottle from DaliRacing. YMMV.

Thanks for the F/U!

Yep, it's an old thread and there have been quite a few on overheating :frown:

I should have also noted that this time around I was using all of my 108 more rwhp and 48 more lbft torque :wink:

The next test will be at THill where the ambient temps will be higher and where we experienced the most overheating.

Back