• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help!: Spontaneous Suspension? Failure & Spin Out in Santa Barbara

Hey guys, this is a really weird one, so I need some really smart help/suggestions.

In the afternoon, I was driving in third gear at about 40 mph on a dry paved city street. I down-shifted into second gear to enter a corner when the car got instantly mushy, and rear end instantly fish-tailed around. I spun 270 degress and came to a halt in the opposing lane, with the engine stalled. (Luckily, there was no traffic, so there was no collision.) Totally spooked, I started the engine, which runs fine, and carefully rolled down the road, shifting slowly to test the transmission, and the car felt just fine and stable, tracking perfectly straight and running fine. But when I got on the gas a little in any gear, the whole road feel got unreal mushy. When under power, it handles like a 1969 Chrysler Imperial with bad shocks: a total land Yacht!!! Again, the car tracks straight, but when I apply some power, it floats and the rear end feels like it's going to let loose again. It's really weird! I brought the car to a local exotic car repair shop, who put it on the rack. Everything underneath looks and feels perfect, with no obvious broken or loose suspension parts. We brought it to an alignment shop with a Hunter machine, but the car is too low to fit on thier set up, so we don't know anything about alignment yet. It's too wierd!! My car has always had totally stock suspension and no accidents.

Thus, I don't know how to proceed, so I have two questions:

1) what could the problem be?, and

2) where's the best and closest service location to tow it, where they'll actually know what an NSX is and how to diagnose it (my car's in Santa Barbara, CA and the nearest Acura dealer is 30 miles away in Oxnard, but I'm not so sure they'll know what to do anyway).

I'd really appreciate any help on this.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

[This message has been edited by NSXY (edited 21 November 2002).]

That's weird. You would think that with a failure like that something would be visible. Of course, there could be broken part that isn't visible.

I wonder if a broken tire belt would cause something like this?

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Or even, maybe, perhaps a broken tire belt?
wink.gif

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Originally posted by NSXY:

2) where's the best and closest service location to tow it, where they'll actually know what an NSX is and how to diagnose it (my car's in Santa Barbara, CA and the nearest Acura dealer is 30 miles away in Oxnard, bit I'm not so sure they'll know what to do anyway).

I'd really appreciate any help on this.

Best to take it to Gold Coast Acura in Ventura and speak with the Technichan Norman Lopez(working on NSX's since 1991). Contact info is Gold Coast Acura, 805-642-3600. I have had great service from them.
John

NSXY,

The first thing I would do is borrow a full set of wheels/tires and give it a try. If it's fine after thstyou can just swap back one wheel/tire at a time to find the bad one (s).

I will say my first thought was the same a Kendall's, something with the differential. If the car is off the ground, you can hold one rear tire and try to turn the other. It should fight you pretty hard. I know the alignment guys busted a gut to get my rear wheels to turn indepentently to do the alignment!!

HTH,
LarryB

Back