• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Here I go again - Valhalla's '97 Spa Yellow Pearl

Wow, very sorry about what happened but very glad you're ok and are keeping a good spirit throughout this ordeal.

Really interested to hear about the cause. Outside of a mechanical issue, the only other variables are driver and road. Considering that you weren't pushing the car, I wonder if you can go back and look at the road and see if there were any slick spots on the entrance ramp?

This sounds like more of a mechanical failure on the front passenger side suspension. Were any of the front suspension arms broken? We know of at least one rear suspension arm suddenly failing (Hugh's).

I know of a few C6 Corvette owners that have had random problems with the active handling systems inadvertently braking select wheels. Pretty scary.

Glad you are OK though and I hope you find a replacement soon!

Dave

Thanks to all for your concern for my health and well being. Physically, I am getting better. Still severe back and chest pain but a little better each day. As to the mental side, I am re-living this crash at least 47 times a night and probably more than that during the day. I went thru the car pretty well yesterday and will try to get to see her again tomorrow. But I did not find anything wrong with the suspension. Shocks were relatively new (Brillstein's) and the springs were intact too (SOS/Tanabe). A-arms upper and lower were solid and the sway bars and adjustable sway bar links were fine. No broken parts.

All I can assume is that the road shifted. What I mean by that is out here in California, we have several different road surfaces. it might have been the entrance was paved asphalt and the freeway might have been poured concrete sectionals. I think I remember going just being just a touch airborne before the rear end went left and that could have been due to the two surfaces not matching up, the car in acceleration mode and the torque of the motor when landing back on pavement, broke the tires free and causing the accident. I don't live anywhere near there but maybe a SoCal LA primer could report back about this entrance ramp. There was nothing wrong with the steering what so ever. It still tracks, if you can get past the tires rubbing on the fenders now.

So just to keep you all updated, some setbacks. going back to the doctor as i can't raise my head. Not good.

As to the car? Just got off the phone with the insurance company and they say it is totaled. If I want the car back, i can have it for the high bid of $17,700. The adjuster could not believe the bid price for the car but explained is as;
1) Rare car that no one sells
2) Very fun car to drive

So now I have to ponder whether there is enough there to fix or do I turn her loose? Need to make my decision by Monday. It's going to be a long weekend......

I had it insured for stated value. I'll be whole with the settlement for the car but just can't believe someone would bid that much.

well, I am glad that you have the protection afforded by your stated value coverage. Now it's up to you on what to do next, I hope that you don't lose too much sleep. Everything will work out.

So just to keep you all updated, some setbacks. going back to the doctor as i can't raise my head. Not good.

As to the car? Just got off the phone with the insurance company and they say it is totaled. If I want the car back, i can have it for the high bid of $17,700. The adjuster could not believe the bid price for the car but explained is as;
1) Rare car that no one sells
2) Very fun car to drive

So now I have to ponder whether there is enough there to fix or do I turn her loose? Need to make my decision by Monday. It's going to be a long weekend......
Get yourself better bud. 1st priority!

Let's say the car is worth $27-30k in repaired/driving condition. I know you mentioned before it has a blemish on the title already otherwise perhaps it's over a $40k car. At a $18k salvage value that assume a minimum of $9k allowance to fix ($27-18k = $9k). Will the repairs cost more than $9k? To do it well, it'll come close.

To me the analysis is a bit of a break even. The tipping point is your emotional attachment to the car.

My $0.02.

Thanks guys. had to go back to the ER on the advise of my doctor. Spent most of the day there yesterday as they did CAT scans. The x-rays were inconclusive. So I got lots of dilaudud intravenous as they wheeled me back and forth for more pictures. Sent me home about 3pm with some prescriptions. Looks like the seat belt retractors did do too good of a job, as I have a fractured and dislocated sternum and also disk issues in my neck and spine. I guess that will happen when you go from 60 to zero in .05 seconds. I think my next NSX will have a harness bar and 5 point belts.

Notice that I wrote "next NSX"? I have decided to move on. Layla was wonderful and beautiful as well. But the only way to repair her would be to cut the frame rails at the pan. Weld in a new clip and try to align the chassis on a jig to true her up and rebuild a new front end. Not sure if I would trust her again with all of the deltas being dead-on-balls perfect. So I will let her go back to the insurance company/Coparts bidder. So add JH4NA2169VT000245 to the salvage list. A sad day.

Thanks to all who have made the ownership of Layla, one of the best periods of my life. The local SoCal group who it has been an absolute ball to hang, drive and be with. The vendors and wrenches who have made this car a must have for any car enthusiast. Not in any particular order, SOS, D1Guy, Ramon, Westend Alignment, Autowave, Jon Martin, Southcoast Acura, Driving Ambition, Dave Dozier, TiDave, Dali, Jeff Carbon6, Tire Rack and lastly, my loving and devoted wife. For letting me go down this path (again) and sharing with me the thrill of ownership and participation. And that brings me full circle to the NSX Prime Nation. You folks, are the reason I got into an NSX. I was looking at F-cars at the time and heard an exhaust note that I finally tracked down, and to my surprise, it was an NSX. I started to do some research and found this site. From that day on, I forgot about chasing the Ferrari dream and you led me to Layla. For that, I will be eternally grateful. Thank you.

I look forward to the next chapter. Tomorrow I will begin to look for a new NSX. Will need to show up to NSXPO in something a little lower and sportier than my Tundra. I will look forward to the next time our paths cross.

My favorite pic of her;
View attachment 122741

Last edited:
Thanks guys. had to go back to the ER on the advise of my doctor. Spent most of the day there yesterday as they did CAT scans. The x-rays were inconclusive. So I got lots of dilaudud intravenous as they wheeled me back and forth for more pictures. Sent me home about 3pm with some prescriptions. Looks like the seat belt retractors did do too good of a job, as I have a fractured and dislocated sternum and also disk issues in my neck and spine. I guess that will happen when you go from 60 to zero in .05 seconds. I think my next NSX will have a harness bar and 5 point belts.

Notice that I wrote "next NSX"? I have decided to move on. Layla was wonderful and beautiful as well. But the only way to repair her would be to cut the frame rails at the pan. Weld in a new clip and try to align the chassis on a jig to true her up and rebuild a new front end. Not sure if I would trust her again with all of the deltas being dead-on-balls perfect. So I will let her go back to the insurance company/Coparts bidder. So add JH4NA2169VT000245 to the salvage list. A sad day.

Thanks to all who have made the ownership of Layla, one of the best periods of my life. The local SoCal group who it has been an absolute ball to hang, drive and be with. The vendors and wrenches who have made this car a must have for any car enthusiast. Not in any particular order, SOS, D1Guy, Ramon, Westend Alignment, Autowave, Jon Martin, Southcoast Acura, Driving Ambition, Dave Dozier, TiDave, Dali, Jeff Carbon6, Tire Rack and lastly, my loving and devoted wife. For letting me go down this path (again) and sharing with me the thrill of ownership and participation. And that brings me full circle to the NSX Prime Nation. You folks, are the reason I got into an NSX. I was looking at F-cars at the time and heard an exhaust note that I finally tracked down, and to my surprise, it was an NSX. I started to do some research and found this site. From that day on, I forgot about chasing the Ferrari dream and you led me to Layla. For that, I will be eternally grateful. Thank you.

I look forward to the next chapter. Tomorrow I will begin to look for a new NSX. Will need to show up to NSXPO in something a little lower and sportier than my Tundra. I will look forward to the next time our paths cross.

My favorite pic of her;

Glad to hear you are overall ok, 100% recovery will come in time.

Understandable about cutting your losses and getting a new NSX, I have a feeling Shawn will try to make Layla whole again if he has anything to say about it. Starting new at least you know where you want to go with it and the guesswork is pretty much hammered out as far as mods go. Really happy to hear that you and Pam aren't letting go of NSX ownership as you are a huge part of the community and a great pair to be around.

Now that the gushy stuff is out of the way important matters at hand...What colour will you be looking for?

Last edited:
I've given it some thought and got Pam's input too.

View attachment 122769I

Was there every any doubt?

GREAT!! I had mine out today for a quick spin to Staples. Yellow is such a sharp color in the sunlight. Can't wait to see you back in the saddle in another NSX!

the car will sell for 25K-30K easy.. the pre bid is normally for people outside of the USA.

You are always welcome in either seat of my car... I owe you a ride too :)

Thanks for the offer, I may just take you up on that as you have moved out here.

- - - Updated - - -

the car will sell for 25K-30K easy.. the pre bid is normally for people outside of the USA.

You are probably right and some poor unsuspecting soul will purchase it as new. That interior will be highly identifiable though. Looks like the car went to Sacramento.

I am picking up a new car in a couple of weeks and have already been accumulating pieces and parts. I will be attending NSXPO in an NSX. I may start another build thread or I just may show up and surprise you all.

I didn't and I have yet to return to the scene of the crime. I suspect quite a few things that might have contributed. Cold tires, ties that were going to be replaced soon, freakin' Falken's which I was going to switch over to the Dunlop Star Specs, Expansion joint in the freeway. What it felt like was a tie rod end let loose but I could not find anything wrong. Of course the front end was so mangled we really couldn't see too much.

What are your suspicions?

Did you ever fine out why the car committed suicide without your consent? My car tried the same thing, but luckily it was at the track. I still dont know why my car did it but I have my suspicions.

Last edited:
We did check them but nothing jumped out at us as a broken half shaft or anything like that. It sure felt that way at the time! New car is going under the knife tomorrow and we will be pulling the axles for maintenance and new boots. i never what to live thru that wild ride again.

Back