• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honcho's NSX-R Track Weapon Build Project

No problem.

Sorry I don't have the exact details regarding the wiring, because I had the guys at Daisy's do the conversion for me. I do believe the changes in the wiring are not ecu dependent and will still have to be done if you run Infinity. Most of the wiring changes are made at the AT shifter assembly.

I would reach out to Meyagi. He can better explain what's necessary regarding the wiring.

Thanks, I will reach out. Been studying the OEM wiring diagrams and the link you posted. With the AEM Infinity, this is a bit easier, but it looks like you still need to have a clutch switch wired in for the start circuit and possibly a neutral switch for idle stability without engine load. It seems there are harness plugs close by that can make this work.

For those of you wondering, I am asking these detailed conversion questions for a reason..... :D

BUT, I’d probably buy a turn key Ferrari 360 or Porsche gt3 if knew how much time it would take.

Been there, done that. :) This was my GT-R:

gtr1.jpg

Alcon brakes, HKS titanium exhaust, fully tuned by Linney, injectors, the whole bit. Fully track ready. A turn-key beast. Ate Lambos for breakfast. :) But you know what I enjoyed more than that car?

This.

IMAG1845.jpg

My old, "slow" NSX. This picture is from the day it was loaded on the truck to go to Will. I cried. Legit cried. I didn't bat an eye when the GT-R went away. I spent years lovingly putting that car together, restoring it bolt by bolt just the way I wanted. The GT-R running on 4 cylinders would run circles around that NSX, but I loved it. So, this project will be a labor of love, not practicality. If I wanted practical, I would have kept the GT-R or bought a new NSX. Yes, I will spend stupid money for 20 more whp. And yes, I will pay the "NSX Tax" for all those parts again, but at the end, I will have another car that I will love. Hopefully there is enough of my old Prime community left to lend a hand. :) With that said, I'm talking to someone right now...I may have found one. :D

I’ve been down the same GTR path to. Do what makes you happy, it sounds like you have at least figured that out which is never easy.

Been there, done that. :) This was my GT-R:

View attachment 154396

Alcon brakes, HKS titanium exhaust, fully tuned by Linney, injectors, the whole bit. Fully track ready. A turn-key beast. Ate Lambos for breakfast. :) But you know what I enjoyed more than that car?

This.

View attachment 154397

My old, "slow" NSX. This picture is from the day it was loaded on the truck to go to Will. I cried. Legit cried. I didn't bat an eye when the GT-R went away. I spent years lovingly putting that car together, restoring it bolt by bolt just the way I wanted. The GT-R running on 4 cylinders would run circles around that NSX, but I loved it. So, this project will be a labor of love, not practicality. If I wanted practical, I would have kept the GT-R or bought a new NSX. Yes, I will spend stupid money for 20 more whp. And yes, I will pay the "NSX Tax" for all those parts again, but at the end, I will have another car that I will love. Hopefully there is enough of my old Prime community left to lend a hand. :) With that said, I'm talking to someone right now...I may have found one. :D

So I found one. :D Perfect car for the project- clean title, no accidents. Put a deposit down. Anyone near Charleston, SC who can take a look at it for me? I also posted in the SE thread.

Congratulations. Looking forward to the transition from building in our heads to building in reality!!

After further discussions with Mrs. Honcho, there has been a slight change in direction. :D She did not like the NSX-R look, so instead we are going to make a Imola Orange Type-S! Stay tuned...

Quick update. I now own a 1992 Formula Red NSX Automatic. :D

Special thanks to [MENTION=4002]chudson1549[/MENTION] for checking out the car for me.
[MENTION=3730]Lud[/MENTION] can you rename this thread to "Honcho's Long Road to Imola Type-S"

Congrats! Now hurry up and start collecting MT conversion parts! :)

Yes, but Stage 1 will be a color change (with matching AS-M seats and door card) and general NSX non-powertrain refresh. It will look like a Type S, but still be an Auto underneath. Stage 2 is the 6-speed. :)

Welcome back to ownership! Now get to work, I wanna see this thing! :smile:

If you look at my journey with the black car, that took about 7 years and you still had to get her across the finish line. This will be about the same. :) Most of the posts here initially will be questions about the 6-speed conversion: specifically, wiring the AT cabin harness to talk to the pedals, AEM Infinity and transmission. Then, you will see it start to trickle over to stripping the car down and refreshing, then the body shop, etc. Hence, the long road!

How's she running, btw?

I like where you are going...the long and winding imola road.............:biggrin:

If you look at my journey with the black car, that took about 7 years and you still had to get her across the finish line. This will be about the same. :) Most of the posts here initially will be questions about the 6-speed conversion: specifically, wiring the AT cabin harness to talk to the pedals, AEM Infinity and transmission. Then, you will see it start to trickle over to stripping the car down and refreshing, then the body shop, etc. Hence, the long road!

How's she running, btw?

Oh, she's not across the finish line yet, not mine anyway. In addition to the aforementioned CCU refurbishment and projector headlamp upgrade, I plan to get the gauge cluster refurbished by whoever it is that does that (don't need no dashboard fires) and try to do something to refresh the ivory bits in the interior. Plus a couple other more mechanical nits. Then it'll be across the finish line. Maybe not quite condition 1, but damn close.

She's running great after that entire fuel system cleanout Ben did. Hits a sweet spot right around 3100 rpm and just sings from there on. Steering and handling are tight and spot-on after the suspension/chassis refresh a couple of years ago. Like I said, if you ever get back East within a couple hours' drive from here, we'll meet up and you can see for yourself.:smile:

Quick update. I now own a 1992 Formula Red NSX Automatic. :D

Special thanks to [MENTION=4002]chudson1549[/MENTION] for checking out the car for me.

[MENTION=3730]Lud[/MENTION] can you rename this thread to "Honcho's Long Road to Imola Type-S"

no problem, I'm glad it worked out for you

I like where you are going...the long and winding imola road.............:biggrin:

Long for sure lol.

Oh, she's not across the finish line yet, not mine anyway. In addition to the aforementioned CCU refurbishment and projector headlamp upgrade, I plan to get the gauge cluster refurbished by whoever it is that does that (don't need no dashboard fires) and try to do something to refresh the ivory bits in the interior. Plus a couple other more mechanical nits. Then it'll be across the finish line. Maybe not quite condition 1, but damn close.

She's running great after that entire fuel system cleanout Ben did. Hits a sweet spot right around 3100 rpm and just sings from there on. Steering and handling are tight and spot-on after the suspension/chassis refresh a couple of years ago. Like I said, if you ever get back East within a couple hours' drive from here, we'll meet up and you can see for yourself.:smile:

Are you worried about the cluster? Is it smoking or flickering? One of the things I meant to do on that car was send the gauge pod to BrianK and have all the capacitors and light bulbs replaced...

And now, the interior. Calling Adnan at [MENTION=20830]A.S. Motorsport[/MENTION]! I'm going to do a Type-S Zero, however. Since the CF stereo delete plate is no longer available, I'm going to have to figure out how to make one myself! Also, does anyone know if the pre-facelift Type-S alcantara fabric was perforated or solid?

p1.jpg

Honda-NSX-2002-1600-29.jpg

Are you worried about the cluster? Is it smoking or flickering? One of the things I meant to do on that car was send the gauge pod to BrianK and have all the capacitors and light bulbs replaced...

No, everything's fine, and I probably won't get to that 'til sometime next year. But it's a known long-term failure point and the results of a failure have the potential to be disastrous. So I'll do some PM to make sure that doesn't happen. Basically I want to refurbish everything else that makes sense to do so. Then I might do some of my own mods, although I can't think of what else to do with the car at this point. I might replace the head unit. This one works fine but the display is kinda bright and noisy at night and the control buttons are small and somewhat of a PITA at times. I can't tell you how many times I've switched modes while trying to change the volume b/c of hitting a minor bump while my fingers were on the knob.

But I don't know what else I could do at this point (once refurb is complete) that would make a meaningful difference. A big part of the reason I spent the extra money for your car is b/c I wanted one that was damn near done. By this time next year it will be.

You can still get the CF radio delete plate.

Yes- I just saw that too. And, you can still get the real Type-S Zero plate too, which just happens to be a perfect match to the finish on the USDM 1992 NSX.

Things are moving along. Car should be delivered in a couple of weeks. First order of business will be a Kaz-style test drive and "NSX Health Check". Main points of concern are the auto transmission (working fine, but 139k miles and unknown maintenance), intermittent EPS light, brake light warning light in dash and the windows, which are popping and slow to come up. Once I sort those issues and do a full inspection, making notes of all areas to address, I will do a full "super clean" and some paint correction so the car at least looks ok. Then, I will start on the Type-S Zero path, which will involve removing:

(1) Air conditioning and all lines;
(2) All audio and wiring;
(3) Power antenna;
(4) TCS;
(5) ABS and all wiring/computers (gonna fab up my own ABS delete rig with prop valve and go to a FF/RR bias split);
(6) Cruise control; and
(7) Engine fan

Then, I'm going to DIY my very own NSX-R mesh cover (and [MENTION=16180]comtec[/MENTION] style prop rod holder) out of the existing cover. Goal is to not know it's a fake unless you put it next to the $2,000 OEM version. Home Depot mesh, glue and a jig saw....what could go wrong? Should be super fun! :D:D

All of this should keep me busy well into 2019 for essentially zero cost, when I can approach Mrs. Honcho and request (beg) to begin....

Imola Type-S Zero STAGE 1 --->> Color change to YR-514P Imola Orange with NH-547 Berlina Black roof, along with full Type-S interior (including seats!), badges, NSX-R bars, etc. Definitely coolant hoses and Koyorad. Possibly KWV3, if the $$$ is there.

That probably gets us into 2020, when we will begin....

Imola Type-S Zero STAGE 2--->> Conversion to 6-speed, engine refresh, cams/valve springs and EPROM tune. Stage 2 will also see the return of the Super Ti exhaust to my NSX (this will be the third one I import lol), NA2 brakes, Spoon rigid collars and manual steering.

Then, some time after 2021, if the stars align, we will achieve....

Imola Type-S Zero STAGE 3--->> Full 3.3L ITB engine build. I'm starting to waver on this, as ITB might be more trouble than it's worth. At least I have some time to figure it out. ;)

I will try to blog each step in a Kaz-style format with pictures.

Stay tuned...

ABS Delete

Car should be here on 8/13. :D:D

One of my early projects will be to delete the ABS system. Essentially, I want to copy Dave's [MENTION=12356]Mac Attack[/MENTION] system, which looks amazing and OEM-like. I saw it here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/165637-ABS-delete?p=1622443&viewfull=1#post1622443

It seems like I need to order the following:

2 of these T fittings

A prop valve similar to this.

A brake line flare kit.

And some 3/16 brake line

Also will need a tube bender and proper fittings. Dave mentioned the Honda line is "45-degree double flared" and that he converted to 37-degree 3AN. Is the conversion necessary? Most of the parts I linked are 3/8-24 for 3/16 line. What type of fitting is used?

**edit**

I spent some time sketching out the system this evening. Dave converted the entire system to 3AN from 10mm x 1.0 inverted, which is the stock Honda fitting. This way, you don't have to use a flare tool for any of the fittings. I think you also have to cut the OEM flares off of the rear brake lines to use them with the 3AN tube sleeves and nuts. Looks like I can build the whole thing for about $100! My only concern is whether 3AN is weaker than the factory inverted flare fittings? Brakes are kind of important, after all...

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new car!

Thanks for the recognition and kind words. It was disappointing for me to see a vendor here blatantly rip off the layout without any acknowledgement, insult me for using a cheaper (?) prop valve, and then sell the ABS delete kit for $500+.

Anyways, I highly recommend you upgrade to the later style NSX ABS unit or use the S2000 system that [MENTION=24013]syndicate[/MENTION] has developed. After all, it is ultimately safer and an investment in the car, whereas the ABS delete is appealing for just a few hardcore folks like us.

If you do go through with the ABS delete, the reason why I switched from the 45 degree double-flared OEM style to the 37 degree AN style is the following: From my understanding comparing the two, the Air Force/Navy (AN) 37 degree flare (and SAE/ISO 37 degree flares) were developed to be a reliable connection method when the fitting might be taken apart and reconnected occasionally. It's also easier to make "in the field" if necessary. The 45 degree double flare on most (all?) OEM car brakes is because it is an extremely reliable connection if you don't ever plan on touching it. Obviously, that's not exactly the case since mechanics redo these connections a lot of times. While car brakes and airplane hydraulics both serve very important safety functions, I think the airplane hydraulics might carry a bit more risk. As they use the AN style, that was good enough for me. That might help to address your weakness concern vs. OEM.

Whether you go with AN or double-flare, just practice making straight tubing cuts, lightly deburring the edges before flaring, and check the contact seating areas after you make the flare and connections. Honestly, unless you're using stainless tubing, you don't need a bender. Just bend by hand or wrap it over various pipe diameters lying around. Just don't make too tight of a bend radius where you feel it suddenly yield on you or kink the tubing (obviously). Also, don't make a bend, try to straighten it if you mess up, and then rebend. It should only be bent once to maintain strength (ideally).

My $0.02 :smile:

Honcho,
If you want a CF delete panel I have one you can have. Just PM me. It is a trapezoid shaped cover that is some no-name (maybe Dali?) piece.

The Fujitsobo exhaust I got from you is still awesome, and has a lot more blueing now. I also found ti test pipes which I haven't tried yet.

Last thing I tried the ABS delete and didn't like it.. I flat spotted some tires on the track and since went to a NA2 ABS and haven't looked back. FWIW.

Back