• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda's President gives year end speech

The NSX was mentioned in the President's year end speech concerning what happened in 2005 and what is planned for the upcoming year. Here is a bit of it. I acquired this from a summary of the original speech. It states that while the NSX model will have a V10 (woppy!) it may have SH-AWD (all wheel drive) as well.

Manny

With the successor model of NSX to be equipped with a V10 engine at the top of the line-up, each Acura model will have distinctive technologies including the outstanding advanced technology of SH-AWD which was introduced with RL. We will further grow Acura as a global luxury brand focused on advanced technology ahead of the times.

- Strengthening R&D
In the area of R&D, the structure of Honda R&D Co., Ltd. will be strengthened. Due to the growth and expansion of Honda’s business, the specific responsibilities of individual engineers tend to become marginalized.

In order to enhance the creativity of each individual, and to maintain a high level of initiative, Honda R&D will strengthen the flat and less-layered structure and make the responsibility of each section to focus on individuals more concrete.

As the level and variety of technological elements applied to automobiles, e.g. advanced safety features, electronic devices, or new materials, are becoming more advanced and complex, the role of technology development is becoming ever more important. We will enhance technology development by clarifying the responsibility of this role from that of product development.

In the area of product development, Honda R&D will strengthen its structure to increase its capability to develop products that continuously advance brand growth, e.g. strengthening the individual development of Acura products and Honda products.

- Strengthening engineering/production
Honda will further advance its powertrain production system in order to achieve mass production of extremely sophisticated next generation engines, such as VTEC that we discussed at the mid-year conference, the V10 engine that will be installed to the successor model of NSX, and to increase production of hybrid engines to meet growing demand.

As a part of this challenge, and to advance the production technology to the next level, Honda has begun planning to further reform production facility in Japan that is responsible to roll out new powertrain technologies and units to the world. The key to address environmental issues— the most important challenge for automakers in the future – is advancement of the powertrain. Honda will pursue to advance the mass production technologies for the next-generation powertrain.

Through all of these measures described above, we will strengthen the core elements that make Honda unique in all areas of sales, R&D, and engineering/production.

<Motor Sports>
Suzuka Circuitland Co., Ltd. and Twin Ring Motegi Co., Ltd will merge their operations in 2006. Suzuka Circuitland has the experience of hosting Formula One racing for almost 20 years. Twin Ring Motegi owns an oval course – the only one of its kind in Asia. These two companies will be merged to increase the efficiency of operation and to contribute to the advancement of mobility and motor sports cultures in Japan.

WGP : In October, Honda achieved the cumulative total of 600 WGP wins. Daniel Pedrosa who earned the 600th win for Honda will move up from GP250 to MOTOGP and compete for the top racing series together with Nicky Hayden in the Repsol Honda team. Marco Melandri also showed a great talent by winning the last two races of the 2005 season. Honda will work harder to regain the titles with the next-generation teams which employ these talented young riders.

Indy: In 2005, Honda won the three major titles-- Manufacturers’ Title, Drivers’ Championship, and Rookie of the Year. From next year, Honda will be the sole engine supplier. Honda will continue racing in IRL, the top open wheel racing series in North America, even beyond 2007 to continue contributing to the racing culture of the U.S.

F1: The new-born Honda Racing F1 Team will begin a new challenge for victory as a 100% Honda works team. Honda will also strongly support the Super AGURI Formula One team by providing V8 engines.

Honda will begin sales in the latter half of 2006, of Honda’s unique solar cell panel which features thin-film formed by a compound made of copper, indium, gallium and selenium (CIGS), a product of Honda Engineering.

In 2007, Honda will establish a production line in the Kumamoto Plant with annual capacity of 27.5 megawatts.

As the first automaker to enter into solar cell business, Honda will further contribute to the effort to prevent global warming through production and sales of a clean energy source which does not use fossil fuels.

The Power of Dreams – Honda will continue our challenges to create new value for our customers.

I really wish that Honda would come out with something firm around the timing of the new NSX.

Half of me wants to wait for it, the rest wants to modify my current NSX. I dont want to modify my NSX only to let it go in a year or so for the new one, if I like it enough and if its not rediculus money.

SPA_S2000 said:
I really wish that Honda would come out with something firm around the timing of the new NSX.

Half of me wants to wait for it, the rest wants to modify my current NSX. I dont want to modify my NSX only to let it go in a year or so for the new one, if I like it enough and if its not rediculus money.

I have to agree with you , I keep going back and forth from selling my 94 to by an 05 or just wait??????
Some sort of time frame would be nice.
:confused:

Edgemts said:
I have to agree with you , I keep going back and forth from selling my 94 to by an 05 or just wait??????
Some sort of time frame would be nice.
:confused:

I think Honda is making the right decision for not commiting to a realse date. The need time to get this car "right" when it is introduced. It is important for them to make a car that is so far ahead of its competitors so they can't be over shadowed in a year or two. As you know, when the NSX was introduced in 1990, they were instantly out dragged by Viper and ZR1, and took them 7 years to make a minor change to NA2, even with that, they were lagging from again, Viper, as well as Ferrari and Porsche.

Buy the 05 NSX and wait till 2010 for the NSX replacement, hey, maybe the first two years might have some bugs to be worked out.

You make an interesting point about being ahead of the competition for more than two years. In todays age, everyone buys their competitors cars and takes them apart to the nut and bolt level. With cars going from concept to delivery in less than three years, I think it is unrealistic to believe that Honda or for that matter anyone can produce a car that outshines the competition for a long period of time.

The life cycle of products is ever decreasing, especially given the strides in electronics. There is not much that cannot be reversed engineered these days. And there are fewer patents that cover a concept left to write. I strongly believe in continous improvement and what that does for a product or service. Hitting a home run while exciting does not happen often enough and cannot be easily structured. It is like baseball, getting people on base with less exciting bunts and hits is what wins most games.

I think Honda just needs to get back into the game and then use continuous improvement to stay current. As a consultant in the manufacturing arena this is what I tell my clients.

My guess is that they will not pursue the horsepower race which I personally feel is unsophisticated and not an elegant solution. The key would be to produce a car that is light weight with reasonable power. In the end it is the pounds to horsepower ratio that determines performance. Just look at Lotus with the Toyota 4 banger. The car hauls. It is going to be about design, performance, and value that determine whether the next NSX is a success.

Manny

drmanny3 said:
My guess is that they will not pursue the horsepower race which I personally feel is unsophisticated and not an elegant solution. The key would be to produce a car that is light weight with reasonable power. In the end it is the pounds to horsepower ratio that determines performance. Just look at Lotus with the Toyota 4 banger. The car hauls. It is going to be about design, performance, and value that determine whether the next NSX is a success.

Manny

If they go with SHAWD, you can kiss lightweight goodbye. I am hoping 2900lbs and 500HP.

As usual the glass is half full again with Mr. President. What planet is this guy from. I still know nothing other than speculation from others and no real substance from this clown. He 's late to the show and not real proactive to his competition already yet he expects me to believe they will stay ahead of the competition with respect to new NSX.

V10 with SH-AWD. This is not an NSX replacement. It is one notch higher bringing it to a 6 figure price tag with more mass than the NSX.

The Porsche Cayman may well be the modern version of the NSX. Hope Honda has something in mind to close the gap between the 4 banger S2000 and the Acura V10 Super car.

drmanny3 said:
... I think it is unrealistic to believe that Honda or for that matter anyone can produce a car that outshines the competition for a long period of time.

I strongly believe in continous improvement

Right on. Continuous improvement is what Honda has done to make the rest of the cars in its lineup great - with two notable exceptions - the NSX and the RL. Its no surprise that these two cars have dismal sales numbers.

Continuous improvement not only makes the product better but also builds the owner base year over year. How many NSX'ers have gone Porsche and Ferrari over the years tired of waiting for the new NSX - after years of false promises from Honda?

A wonder car ever 20 years won't succeed with the likes of Ferrari, Porsche and Corvette turning out new generations ever 5-6 years.

Silver F16 said:
V10 with SH-AWD. This is not an NSX replacement. It is one notch higher bringing it to a 6 figure price tag with more mass than the NSX.

The Porsche Cayman may well be the modern version of the NSX. Hope Honda has something in mind to close the gap between the 4 banger S2000 and the Acura V10 Super car.

WHAT?!?!??!
I hope its ATLEAST 130k!

do you really want everyone to have one, like a vette?

Dan Ciesniewski said:
WHAT?!?!??!
I hope its ATLEAST 130k!

do you really want everyone to have one, like a vette?

I agree, I hope its maybe in the $125K range but a great value for that price.
If its too much more I think no matter whats in it, it may get labeled overpriced, unless it has an F1 motor putting out 750hp and comes with free service for 100K miles then I will pay 200K no problem. (and the chassis to go with it):biggrin:
If its in the 70-80K range, I think its going to be short on something or many things, HP, top shelf components, Weight, ???

NeoNSX said:
AWD? There goes all hope of a sequel to chopsjazz's 'donut time' video. :(

SH-AWD should NOT be a part of the replacement NSX. Let me repeat, SH-AWD should NOT be a part of the replacement NSX. Weight savings for one. And RWD is what REAL sports cars have, IMO.:tongue:

timothyaw said:
SH-AWD should NOT be a part of the replacement NSX. Let me repeat, SH-AWD should NOT be a part of the replacement NSX. Weight savings for one. And RWD is what REAL sports cars have, IMO.:tongue:

damb straight!! I hope its RWD too, but if anyone can AWD right it would be Honda :)...maybe they'll even make it able to be tured off, like a truck :)
So you can do doughnuts and launches...or even possibly be off or very unnoticable at low speeds. Kinda like how power stearing cuts off around 40 mph, maybe AWD wouldn't kick in till higher speeds...who knows

Hmmm 125k? I do not see people wanting to buy that... it could work on a very low production car (FordGT like) but it will be probably impossible to sustain a 3-5 years market for Honda selling in the thousands.

75k is the maximum they should ask if the car performance are above the Carrera S, let's say in the Modena range. Just IMO.

gheba_nsx said:
Hmmm 125k? I do not see people wanting to buy that... it could work on a very low production car (FordGT like) but it will be probably impossible to sustain a 3-5 years market for Honda selling in the thousands.

75k is the maximum they should ask if the car performance are above the Carrera S, let's say in the Modena range. Just IMO.

:tongue: :rolleyes:

I don't think that is saying the NSX will have SH-AWD...it's just saying acura models will have distinctive technologies, and gives SH-AWD as an example of how they are already doing that. I wouldn't read into it too much, but I guess people like to speculate.

I agree with gheba_nsx on this one.

I think the price should be at Porsche 911 Carrera S level. Cheaper than 911 Turbo, Aston Martin V8 Vantage and Ferrari F430, but still a little bit exclusive... But more expensive than M3 etc.

Man, I wish I could afford the next gen. NSX - but I'm saving for Porsche 993 Turbo as well (don't hate me, hehe) - it's alot cheaper than the amazing cars mentioned above (it is secondhand tho').

I envy those who can afford this upcoming classic (I hope!) by the launch time :cool:

Anyways, the new supercar from Lexus and the Nissan GT-R will give the HSC or whatever its name will be some serious competition!:eek: :eek:

Back