• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How 'bout that stock market?

Sold off a bunch of leaps I bought back when the market fell, still have a bunch more that aren't doing as well as the ones I sold. Selling leaps on WFMI (the profit is massive), GS, calls on CIT 200%+ profit. Holding the leaps on C. Looking pretty good at this point, Think I will wait a bit for the market to climb a little more and then set some shorts.

by selling I mean sell to close the position not selling against the underlying

Last edited:
I have been building my portfolio over the last 2 months. I have built some core positions of 25 names, mostly blue chip dividend paying stocks, and been trading in and out of a handful of other ones that are high Beta.

My question is, right now, is it good to be Long in general?

Another question is, if you could put your entire net worth into one stock, which would it be and why?

Thanks...

I have been building my portfolio over the last 2 months. I have built some core positions of 25 names, mostly blue chip dividend paying stocks, and been trading in and out of a handful of other ones that are high Beta.

My question is, right now, is it good to be Long in general?

Another question is, if you could put your entire net worth into one stock, which would it be and why?

Thanks...

long is good for a bit longer but the market is going to come back down imo.

all in one stock, almost anything would have been great a few months ago, now I think we are a bit high. if thee is another sell off, GE, AXP, C,] XOM in the high 50's, ibm. aapl, GS <-- I bought leaps on GS when GS was near their 52 week low, sold those yesterday. I think we will get another surge buyers thinking they missed the boat and then the sell off.

I'm by far no expert, but seems to me the market slide to 6k has offered a tremendous buying oppourtunity for many solid small cap stocks.I bought relatively cheap stocks from companies that had been worth a lot more at the peak and now have shown some impressive short term gain,like: ttm,zixi,plab,cell,fcx.Of course I will screw it all up by not selling and watching them all go back down if the market slides again.Biggest mistake we make is not to sell winners and hold on to losers:rolleyes:

ok, let's say we there is another decline, and we do well by selling. Then we reload right?

But lets say we sell, and there is no other decline, and we miss out on the final bull run.

Lets say we dont sell, and the market tanks, you can always put more money in, but can never replicate S&P 1000 when it is at 1400.....

thoughts?

I am in the category of building a nice position which will be fine in the longer run, get out of stuff you dont want to hold, but use those as trading plays in and out....but make sure you are long just in case.

Sold off a bunch of leaps I bought back when the market fell, still have a bunch more that aren't doing as well as the ones I sold. Selling leaps on WFMI (the profit is massive), GS, calls on CIT 200%+ profit. Holding the leaps on C. Looking pretty good at this point, Think I will wait a bit for the market to climb a little more and then set some shorts.

by selling I mean sell to close the position not selling against the underlying

Don't fight the fed lol. I wish you would of held old longer you would of made a good bit more, when everyone says sell you buy.

ok, let's say we there is another decline, and we do well by selling. Then we reload right?

But lets say we sell, and there is no other decline, and we miss out on the final bull run.

Lets say we dont sell, and the market tanks, you can always put more money in, but can never replicate S&P 1000 when it is at 1400.....

thoughts?

I am in the category of building a nice position which will be fine in the longer run, get out of stuff you dont want to hold, but use those as trading plays in and out....but make sure you are long just in case.

I help a family member with about 600k in the market, he buy when it goes down 500 on the dow he got some at 7700 and 6800, he is up over 140k on the year and still holding and he throws 100k more in each time it pulls back under 8300 now, just look at a chart and find the support and resistance and when it hits that and fails or hold just act, I remember getting him on at 7700 that day it was down about 700. Also I am looking for 12k on the dow in the next 2 years.

Don't fight the fed lol. I wish you would of held old longer you would of made a good bit more, when everyone says sell you buy.

No need to be greedy.

The one position I didn't even know I had still. I had not opened the account for a few months and when I did, BAM!!!

It was WFMI calls/leaps. WFMI is ~28 and the 52 week high is 30. not much more there to hold out for. I am still sitting on a few options. we shall see.

right.

we still profit though

we lose the gains we had. For me I have a lot of losses to cover

It all depends on how you want to use the market. If you are looking for div payout and think you can't ever get those div payout stocks again as cheap as you did then by all means hold. I am making up losses and rebuilding the balance. No cap gains for a while either because of all the losses I have to make up.

BTW, those cit calls were purchased at .2 and sold at .8. The wfmi calls were sold at profits above 1000%, can't ask for much more than that.

Last edited:
I help a family member with about 600k in the market, he buy when it goes down 500 on the dow he got some at 7700 and 6800, he is up over 140k on the year and still holding and he throws 100k more in each time it pulls back under 8300 now, just look at a chart and find the support and resistance and when it hits that and fails or hold just act, I remember getting him on at 7700 that day it was down about 700. Also I am looking for 12k on the dow in the next 2 years.

140k, thats like one hand of poker for that guy. :wink::biggrin:

Usually it is bad luck for me to post, but it won't matter right now, because with my trading style, down and up no longer matters.

I just feel like the economy is improving...
You are not the only one. This is what I have observed recently.

-I noticed there are a ton of new Ferraries, Lambos, E92 M3s popping up lately, a few month ago, even a new car with dealer plate was rare. It is almost unreal.

-Everyone I know that had participated in market, made a killing, my trades are Mickey Mouse compare to a lot of people, even my GF put me to shame.

-Those who lost a lot of paper wealth probably recovered a lot assuming they did not sell at the bottom. Therefore, they feel better.

-Houses in Irvine just started to creep up in price, look at listings, nowhere near as many as a few months ago. Like stocks no one wants to hold onto an asset if it is going down. When price is going up sellers hold off on selling, and buyers start to panic. Greed is extremely powerful.

-I frequent Southcoast Plaza and Fashion Island, I can tell that people are spending more now than what they did a few months ago, it is no longer just people doing window shopping. People actually buy stuff.

-Someone really closed to me work for a big steel distributor, they deal with US.Steel, General Steel, China Precision Steel, etc. They can not keep up with demand, not even close. This was two month prior to the "cash for clunker". Thier customers order cold rolled steels by ton, not by lbs.

thoughts?
Steven gave you perfect answers. Raymond also gave some good advice.

If you are not an active trader, you are probably better off just buy and hold. Just don't ever buy top and sell bottom. You just need to be in somewhere in between to win.

I will add that watch economic data calendar and trade around it, usually we get data at 5:30am pacific time, even if you just trade the index, you have very good winning percentage.

The mentality of worrying about missing out can be very dangerous. It is hard to explain. At any given moment, you can get back into or out of a trade. There is no such thing as missing out IMO.

Market is making higher highs and higher lows, everytime we get a pull back, it has been getting smaller and smaller each time. I added a lot of positions when S&P 870 held last month. As long as we don't drop below 200 day moving average, I will still go net long bias. I do feel that we really are due for some pull back, been saying that in the past 2 weeks, being wrong, and took a lot of pre-mature profit taking.

In roughly two weeks most of Q2 earning will end and there are not much near term catalyst until Q3. I would be extremely cautious until then and not chase untill I have reason to, but I will load on dips with much more confidence than a few months ago.

I am a hybrid investor/trader, I trade daily. 40% of my portfolio are net long for my future, 40% cash, I allocate 10%~20% for buying stocks just for sake of trading in and out for my lunch money (it can be for as short as 2 minute or I will hold it for as long as 2weeks).

These are some of my trades (realized gain/loss), I picked them randomly, I can pull up trades for any specific date. Each represent 1day, I did have total of 6 red days (realized loss) during last 4 months. Everytime I get rid of a position, I buy back at lower price if I can, if not I move on.

5_13_09+.png

5_19_09+.png

5_7_09+.png

8_4_09.png

Last edited:
China is pumping massive amounts of liquidity into it's economy. Some say that part of it just went to the stock market. The Nikkei raised over the last months excessively. Another bubble? What do you think about this?

hey guys, thanks for your input and opinions on the market. It's tough to say, truth of the matter is none of us really know, we all make our own bets. Luckily, I missed the entire decline from Sept 08 through March 09, and have been loading up since May 09...yes, I missed the bottom, but figure I cant be "too wrong" from where I am starting :)

P.S. I too have a good chunk of buy and hold, but have a bucket of trade names...most recent example is a stock like STP....in and out many times on that name.

I'm waiting for them to cave them again.

Look at this chart from a couple weeks ago....

1z2k8ap.png

And now where we are on that chart. Coincidence? You decide.

14c45tf.png

We are at ludicrous overbought levels. People going long here are smoking some serious shit IMHO.

Still too soon for buy and hold in my view. I'm still thinking we are going to go down and break the lows and come to put in the final bottom at 5-6K in the Dow.

But there is nothing on the chart that says this is all over and the bulls can take over from here. When you consider the amount of economic crap that this market hasn't even dealt with and the fact that most UN-SPUN economic reports show conditions in this country actually worsening i'd say we have a long way to go!

Last edited:
hehe, didn't I said it was bad luck for longs everytime I post. Usually when people revives this thread, that is usually when market is about to roll over. It is good leading indicator, lol There is no big near term catalyst right until Q3. I will come back in Q3.

That being said, it doesn't take much for stocks to look attractive again. Even with just two days, some are looking sexy again. The shipping sector is not far off the March low after hitting the near term highs in May. If it continue to drop, there will be some seriously easy money to be made. I would love to load up some EXM below $6.50, SSW below $5.50 ONAV below $3.50, and DAC below $3.5, PRGN below $4.2.

I was tempted to load up SRS and FAZ this morning, but I got pounded hard before with SRS and FAZ.

My lunch money daytrades last two days on down market days. F-up on the AHR, should had took all the profit a day earlier before earning, but only a fool complains about profit taking. I did however played save and sold off half AHR yesterday, and sold rest today. Last time I traded AHR during last quarter, it gave me 300% return in what felt like in just 3 days, sadly Q2 earning sucked balls. FNM/FRE was quick 1 day 50% return yesterday. I consider it a total loss stock, trading it just for sake for trading. As long as people are interested, it will remain tradable.

8/10
8_10_09.png

8/11 (only 1/3 way though the trading day, not done yet, I have a few more trades set up for dinner money)
8_11_09.png

Last edited:
I would still not go short here, if everyone thinks it's going to crap out it's going up more. As I said a few months ago don't fight the fed, they have more money then all of us and can pump this market to 12k in a week if they wanted too. Yes it will pullback some but not yet, key levels are 9k, 2k, 1k... I don't really care I trade the eur/usd 5min charts ;)

Well, all I can say is -- I'm getting my ass handed to me right now. My intermediate term market call has been spot on this year. The stocks I've actually taken sizeable long positions in, though, have massively underperformed. Sometimes, frankly, I just want to say fuck it and start trading the same BS the everyone else does (cyclicals in this case). Frustrating, but we've all been there so I guess now it's my turn. :frown:

I would still not go short here, if everyone thinks it's going to crap out it's going up more. As I said a few months ago don't fight the fed, they have more money then all of us and can pump this market to 12k in a week if they wanted too. Yes it will pullback some but not yet, key levels are 9k, 2k, 1k... I don't really care I trade the eur/usd 5min charts ;)

I covered the top side with buying the next strike up. Some great percentages 40% in one case. You are right the market could go higher but I only need it to sway until next OE which is a week and 3 days away.

By the way I am up 107% in my level 5 account YTD WOO HOO. too bad it wasn't 107% of what I had in my regular trading account, but hey I'm not bitching....yet!

Up already on the options box trades I did today. If the market runs tomorrow ryan call me as I am going to be away from the desk, well in body but my mind will be wondering.:biggrin:

For those who are interested in trading for a living, I recommend the following books.

1. "Come into my Trading Room", Elder
2. "Trend Following", Covell
3. "Market Wizards", Schwager
4. "Swing Trading", Markman

Learn how to read charts:
http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school

Use your charting skills to find new stocks and to guage the market.

Manage your risk (discussed in #1 and #2)

I quit my consulting position about a year ago to trade for a living and its been very rewarding. I would say that most folks can do all this and still keep a full time job (You basically need about 2 hours/day and a few hours to find new stocks).

My recommendations: Don't listen to the news or analysts. Everything is just a reaction to the market and no one knows anything. Do your own research, manage your risk, and you'll do ok.

-William

For those who are interested in trading for a living, I recommend the following books.

1. "Come into my Trading Room", Elder
2. "Trend Following", Covell
3. "Market Wizards", Schwager
4. "Swing Trading", Markman

Learn how to read charts:
http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school

Use your charting skills to find new stocks and to guage the market.

Manage your risk (discussed in #1 and #2)

I quit my consulting position about a year ago to trade for a living and its been very rewarding. I would say that most folks can do all this and still keep a full time job (You basically need about 2 hours/day and a few hours to find new stocks).

My recommendations: Don't listen to the news or analysts. Everything is just a reaction to the market and no one knows anything. Do your own research, manage your risk, and you'll do ok.

-William

After 10 years of doing this, 5+ fulltime I will say the biggest 2 things I found are

1. Manage your emotions
2. Have a Risk plan and follow it, I do $4 profit for $1 a risk and win over 50%.

Read this if you want to see how I trade, it's over 60 pages and someone took the time to put all my posts into a Ryanmcd.doc. and now others trade the way I do..

http://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=163972

Last edited:
Back