• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How would you respond to this comment on the NSX?

This morning I was just at the dry cleaners by work in Irvine and as I got out of my car a middle aged yuppie getting in to his wanna be Mercedes C Class Sport said to me, "Wow, there's something different, a white guy in a NSX. I never see that." I was completely taken off guard and did not know how to respond to him so I just smiled and went in to the cleaners. I was actually offended by his statement as I kinda suspected that he was implying that he sees a lot of Asian people driving NSXes. I thought that I had escaped the disparaging racial comments that are so commonplace down South when I moved to California. I had a Vietnamese girlfriend who I absolutely adored for 9 years when I lived in Louisiana and once in a while we would get some moron who would make stupid statements like this. It just irritated me , plain and simple.

I don't waste time responding to people like that. They are who they are, so why waste your time with them. Afterall, in this particular case - its just words. He might as well have been saying "blah, blah, blah, blah...". Don't know him, he doesn't affect me personally in life or at work, so no need to waste time even noticing him or the comment.

A useful adage to remember is, "when we encounter ignorance, let it persist".

Stupid people serve a purpose; they make the rest of us look good.

Very ignorant! :mad:
Its like saying back to him..."wow... are you german? I thought only germans drove Mercedes' "
See how stupid that sounds?

I'm Italian & my wife is Hispanic and we still get funny looks even here in Cali. Perhaps its because she's so beautiful? :D

Wow, that's something different, a redneck moron in a Mercedes. I never see that either.

Him

"Wow, there's something different, a white guy in a NSX. I never see that."

Me

F. Y.

prescott said:
I had a Vietnamese girlfriend who I absolutely adored for 9 years when I lived in Louisiana and once in a while we would get some moron who would make stupid statements like this.

This would have been a good opportunity to learn some Vietnamese verbal insults. I wonder what his expression would have been if you blurted out something in an Asian language.

It's obvious that his comment arises from a racist attitude, and racism is usually rooted in ignorance and insecurity.

I doubt that anything you could say would in any way make him realize how pathetic his comment makes him appear.

A rejoinder such as Andy's - while it might be justified by the original comment - would likely only reinforce his attitude.

There are racists everywhere, and there are good people everywhere. The existence of idiots should not in any way detract from our enjoyment of life.

I think I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed today and that is why this guy's ignorant comment got me upset. Looking back on it, I think that I did the right thing by just smiling and going about my business. I mean I could have asked him when he was going to buy a real Mercedes instead of a psuedo-Mercedes C Class but that would have just been throwing gas on the fire.

haha
some hilarious responses so far

i think the important thing to focus on here is not the ignorance, but the reason for the expression of the ignorance.

the guy was jealous of you. who knows mebbe he never got to live out a sports car fantasy... mebbe the wife won't let him have one... mebbe he's insecure about the automatic trans...

in conclusion, i'd have walked away with a smile, knowing he acted out of jealousy - what a compliment to you!

What do they call that, 'the shallow end of the gene pool'?

Hard not to drop to their level, smile and go on about your day is about the best anyone can do in those situations. Sounds like you did the right thing, even though it is fun to think about the zippy comeback we all wish we would have thought of!

"That is a Dodge isn't it?"

Or Andy's simple approach!

Dave

I didn't think he meant Asian until you brought it up.
In fact I though it was odd you could have a racial profile for the NSX owner.
Mercedes Benz owner in California? Maybe he was flirting with you. :eek:

Now you know what "black guys" get all the time. :(

Since you were at the "cleaners" you should have called Mr.Wolf! :D He'd get an apology out of him! rofl

prescott said:
"Wow, there's something different, a white guy in a NSX. I never see that."

Sorry to annihilate your happiness SIR, but I never valet my car...Thanks. ( you take care to tip him... ) :D

mickeylex said:
I don't waste time responding to people like that.

WELL SAID!

Lazarus said:
A useful adage to remember is, "when we encounter ignorance, let it persist".

Stupid people serve a purpose; they make the rest of us look good.

As a physicist I can tell you that positive only makes sense with the existence of negative, the same is true with stupid, racist tacky,... people.

jlindy said:
Wow, that's something different, a redneck moron in a Mercedes. I never see that either.

NICE and CRUDE. Love it!

AndyVecsey said:

An eternal classic; fast, simple and mean! I wonder what Mr. Wolf would've said.

nsxtasy said:
It's obvious that his comment arises from a racist attitude, and racism is usually rooted in ignorance and insecurity.

I doubt that anything you could say would in any way make him realize how pathetic his comment makes him appear.

There are racists everywhere, and there are good people everywhere. The existence of idiots should not in any way detract from our enjoyment of life.

I agree 100%. Although I authorize myself thinking some nice replies in my mind for fun and venting!

Like Tony Montoya said: Prescott did the right thing.

Unfortunately there's still a chance that this "ignorant redneck drug dealer moron" thinks, because of your smile, that you agree and share his racist opinion! :eek:

PHOEN$X said:

"you must be dealing a lot of drugs to be driving a MB."

Oh a C class! Definately not that much, sorry and good luck for your business! ( Important to act like you are sincere and truly concerned with its problem! Showing empathy is so kind... )

Ti Dave said:

"That is a Dodge isn't it?"

and

Taj said:

"Nice Mercedes, is it the base line C class?"

OHHHH! CHEAP SHOTS! Nice! :)

Fun to vent it here and have a good laugh with you guys!

Effer

A wonderful quote from the movie "The Emperor’s Club"

"Youth can be matured,
Ignorance can be educated,
Drunkenness can be sobered,

But stupid lasts forever!

Back