• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I can make forged 02+ replicas in 17/18 stagger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he has asked me for a 2002 wheel to look at. Of course... I don't have mine anymore, they sit in pvmike's garage. So I have to secure two wheels, possibly 4, for measurements and stuff. I will speak with him and get some more details. I a still not sure there is ENOUGH interest to sell the 20 set minimum.

In the rear the suspension geometry is such that as you lower the car the wheels tuck in. So if you aren't lowered at all, the wheels will stick out a bit more. In order to clear calipers up front you need a certain offset. If you go below that in the rear, the car will look odd. So I can't go real conservative in the back. These offsets don't extend the tires or wheels beyond the fenderline in any way, but these wheels wont be good for someone at stock ride height. This is an upgrade that keeps an OEM'ish appearance. If someone really prefers an OEM look, they should probably stay OEM.

Dave thanks for the explanation and beginning to understand. My suspension arms are more horizontal so my wheels stick out further to each side.
With the offsets you are looking at I understand these new wheels won't stick out past the fender line on a stock suspension but will line stick out more than the 02+ wheels would.
Have I got that right?

Well he has asked me for a 2002 wheel to look at. Of course... I don't have mine anymore, they sit in pvmike's garage. So I have to secure two wheels, possibly 4, for measurements and stuff. I will speak with him and get some more details. I a still not sure there is ENOUGH interest to sell the 20 set minimum.

Talk to Mike (Arista5), he always had extras. Feel free to contact me if you don't find any locally.

Dave thanks for the explanation and beginning to understand. My suspension arms are more horizontal so my wheels stick out further to each side.
With the offsets you are looking at I understand these new wheels won't stick out past the fender line on a stock suspension but will line stick out more than the 02+ wheels would.
Have I got that right?

They may stick out just so slightly on a stock suspension. On a lowered car they will tuck in slightly more. They definitely will stick out more than the OEM wheels which are pretty recessed. Come on Jim, do it up... It'll look great. I'm not going to make you look hella-mexi-flush. :D

These are OEM wheels with et 40 front and et 37 rear exactly like what I am suggesting, except the wider wheel will be slightly more flush in the rear.

672ae636b60c18c80a2b59808e959242_zps4fbfbf2b.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is how flush an 8" and 10" wheel will be, just imagine the OEM shape:

d3794c29bd81b5c3f3087e14bb3442fc_zps06253f8f.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, whether the wheels will remain flush or not depends on the camber. Even with 15mm spcers and about 1" max lowered, my 02+ wheels are recessed because of the -2.3/-2.0 camber I have.

Highly interested in 02' replica in 17/18 with flush offsets as other's have mentioned
flow-forming or forged... might as well make good ones
up to $1000/wheel seems reasonable for a custom job, perhaps lower at volume/material/method

Maybe you can made the 18” rear wheel first since we can put spacer on the front to make the required offset. It just a thought to share. I still very much interested for a set. Thanks!

When I said ridiculous asking price I was referring to guys on ebay asking $4k+ for a set of used OEMs. :)

I would expect replicas to cost at least $2k so no surprise there. If they are custom made with more aggressive offsets and wider, I know many of us would be willing to pay good money for them.

I doubt these will cost much less than a set of used 02+ OEM wheels that sell for around $2K (I sold mine for $1800). So if you are looking for these wheels for less, I am not sure this will be your solution. I have to make them bigger and it's custom so the costs won't be that cheap. I can almost guarantee if we get them forged it will cost over 3K for sure, possibly over 4. But I am not too keen on forged, I think it will push them out of most people's budgets.

I've submitted specs for an estimate. One problem is the stagger. It would be less costly to make one size. Now we are basically talking about two custom wheels. We will see what it comes back as.

I've read the entire thread and as always Turbo you're doing great work for little to no personal gain.

Now I have one suggestition; why not work on making the wider rear wheel only? Plus side, one design. Down sides, they'll need to match the OEM almost perfectly and you'll have to source your own fronts.

Thanks. Only rear? Then what do people do for the front? Even when someone sells OEM wheels, they don't sell front only. I'd be shooting myself in the balls... :D

Selling just rears only benefits those with 02+ wheels already, severely limiting the market. turbo2go wants to expand the market since owners of 02+ wheels tend to horde them and then ask selling prices that are ridiculous so they don't get seller's remorse. (most anyways) after we see real pricing then we can get an accurate count on interest. the old thread was priced super cheap which was why the list was 30+. i think anything at 2K-2.5K and people would just look for OEM.

i think anything at 2K-2.5K and people would just look for OEM.

I seriously doubt these wheels would even be that cheap. A set of weds or Advans will run you 3K. And that is a mass market wheel. I can almost guarantee a 17/18 custom wheel set will be above 2K. Let's keep things in perspective. Also, "OEM" is smaller sizing and not what a lot of people want so they wouldn't just go OEM. Even if you did want to go OEM, used ones aren't readily available. What is available are new ones at 6K.

So what's the chance of this really happening and not taking 2 years to produce? I feel like I've seen/participated in a few of these threads thus far and everyone has gotten extremely hyped... and it never came to light.

That won't depend on me. I will probably be able to get this done, there is a high chance of that happening. Question is will enough buyers actually commit with cash and not just a desire. I will try to get some pricing soon, as I said I have submitted the specs.

- - - Updated - - -

This may only be one production run and that might be the end of it. He will need some sort of payment before he proceeds. It certainly would make these wheels quite valuable if they are the right spec and there are no more made. Question is how do we get all the interested parties to know about this. With my other buys like the supercharger or advan wheels I still get emails 6 months after the fact "I didn't see the post can I still get this?"

If anyone is interested, the initial specs I have submitted are

17x8 front et 40
18x9.5 rear et 30

That can be change before production but that is what I am leaning towards.

You need to do an 18x10 rear ;) what I have seen the majority want is 17x8, 18x10. Offsets seem ok but I think people always like 35 which is pretty close.

You need to do an 18x10 rear ;) what I have seen the majority want is 17x8, 18x10. Offsets seem ok but I think people always like 35 which is pretty close.

I am not sure that is what people want as much as that is what we get because that is what is available. IMO a 10" rear is a bit too wide. For several reasons. Most use 265/275 rears, and the ideal wheel width for that tire is 9.5", not 10". If you use OEM width 215/255 combo which is actually used on 02-05 cars, the ideal width is 9"', but 9.5 is still within range. A 9.5" wheel can handle a 285 even, no problem.

A 9.5" wheel is lighter than a 10" wheel, and it provides for a more square shoulder on the tire sizes most used on the NSX with less of a stretched look. If you look at most 265 tires on 10" wheels, they are slightly stretched. Needlessly. At the cost of performance and weight. My et adjustment from 35 to 30 is due to the decrease in wheel width. It keeps the same flushness. It's based on math.

Last edited:
You must make the front wheels. For us who have the stock wheels adding a 15mm spacer requires extended studs. My understanding is that this isn't as straight forward as it might appear and for us guys who are not handy in the garage this can be costly to pay a shop. I decided against spacers and put that money towards a purchase of Advans. I still love the stock wheel so these replicas are a dream come true if sized optimally.

You must make the front wheels. For us who have the stock wheels adding a 15mm spacer requires extended studs. My understanding is that this isn't as straight forward as it might appear and for us guys who are not handy in the garage this can be costly to pay a shop. I decided against spacers and put that money towards a purchase of Advans. I still love the stock wheel so these replicas are a dream come true if sized optimally.

Well I am in the same boat as you. Although I did replace my studs with ARP ones. Yes, you are correct that is a necessity. Then you need open lug nuts as the OEM will no longer work. This wheel would solve that problem. But the biggest thing that bothers me with aftermarket wheels is hubcentric rings. These are never perfect, and still allow some "play"... Putting extra stress on the studs. With a perfect bore, this would would be the ONLY non-OEM wheel requiring no centering rings and bored perfectly to fit the NSX. You can never get that aftermarket. This is not just an improvement in looks with larger sizing, but also a performance improvement over most all aftermarket wheels.

Well I am in the same boat as you. Although I did replace my studs with ARP ones. Yes, you are correct that is a necessity. Then you need open lug nuts as the OEM will no longer work. This wheel would solve that problem. But the biggest thing that bothers me with aftermarket wheels is hubcentric rings. These are never perfect, and still allow some "play"... Putting extra stress on the studs. With a perfect bore, this would would be the ONLY non-OEM wheel requiring no centering rings and bored perfectly to fit the NSX. You can never get that aftermarket. This is not just an improvement in looks with larger sizing, but also a performance improvement over most all aftermarket wheels.

Agree 100%.

And I think an 18" with the OEM style in the rear that fits flush will just look bad ass. Especially finished with some really nice unique color.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back