• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I love my NSX

Just thought I would let you guys know I love my NSX
biggrin.gif
I have owned a 1993 5 speed for two and a half years now, and I still get the same rush when I drove it for the first time! I have only put about 6,000 miles on it (clock is now 68,900). Outside of the trip odometer sticking, I have changed the oil and filter twice and replaced the original battery with a Gold Die Hard; everything else works and looks brand new! You talk about maintenance free! I love my NSX and have never regretted buying it! I have regretted not buying an NSX sooner!
biggrin.gif

I love my NSX too. That's why I change my oil and filter more often than once a year. ***EDIT*** - So does Slingshot - see correction below.

The owner's manual says once every 7500 miles or six months, whichever comes first, but more often under severe conditions. Many mechanics recommend every 3000 miles or three months. I change my oil every 3750 miles, but even when I'm not putting a lot of miles on mine, I make sure to change it at least once every four months.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 05 August 2002).]

Nsxtasy is correct.even if your not driving her change the oil more often.I had just lost my clutch right after an oil change and the car sat for three months.first thing I did after I got my new clutch was change the oil.I know the manual states 7500 miles but I change the oil on all my rides at 2500.thats just me,I am probaby throwing away some money but I know for darn sure I am not contributing to the demise of the motor..one of my cars has almost 200,000 on her and she is nowhere near the caliber of the NSX.I have always felt that maintaince was the key to longevity of a automobile
David

Gee, wasn't long ago that car makers had us change the first oil at 2000 miles and then every 7000 thereafter. Now, it is 7000 miles on the first oil and 2000 after that. I sometimes wonder if it wasn't someone in the oil business that came up with the idea to change vehicle oil that frequently, because I don't know of any other lubricants for any other machine or industry, that has recommended changing to such shorter service intervals, while claiming to improve the product.

No automobile manufacturers have shortened their recommended oil change intervals, including Honda. No manufacturer is recommending changes every 2000 miles. And most mechanics are sticking with the same recommendation they have made for years.

Two points.
First, I am an accountant, and am allowed not to add correctly
biggrin.gif
One and a half years ownership with two oil changes; the third is due in 200 more miles. I guess I am right on the 6 month and/or 3,000 mile interval.

Second, I am also an engineer, and I think you should distinguish between synthetic and dino oils because temperature is one of the most important factors that contribute to the breakdown of an oil. Petroleum oil begins to break-down almost immediately. A high quality synthetic, on the other hand, can last for many thousands of miles without any significant reduction in performance or protection characteristics due to its’ tolerance to heat. Synthetics designed from the right combination of base-stocks and additives can last indefinitely with the right filtration system. So in summary, even if it was two and a half years, I would not be concerned since I use a high grade filter and Mobil One synthetic oil.

[This message has been edited by Slingshot (edited 05 August 2002).]

Originally posted by Slingshot:
I think you should distinguish between synthetic and dino oils because temperature is one of the most important factors that contribute to the breakdown of an oil. Petroleum oil begins to break-down almost immediately. A high quality synthetic, on the other hand, can last for many thousands of miles without any significant reduction in performance or protection characteristics due to its’ tolerance to heat. Synthetics designed from the right combination of base-stocks and additives can last indefinitely with the right filtration system. So in summary, even if it was two and a half years, I would not be concerned since I use a high grade filter and Mobil One synthetic oil.

I sure would be concerned.

When synthetic oil first came onto the market, the oil manufacturers claimed that oil change intervals could be extended, for the reason you mentioned. Since then, they have retracted these claims. In addition to thermal breakdown, for which synthetic oil is indeed superior, oil degrades over time due to the accumulation of particulate matter (dirt). Synthetic oil will accumulate particulates at the same rate as conventional oil; for this reason, extending oil change intervals due to the use of synthetic oil is not recommended.

Here's what it says on the subject on the Mobil 1 website:

Can I go longer without changing my oil if I use a synthetic?

While Mobil 1 has given excellent results in extended oil drain tests, the safest and recommended practice is to follow your owner's manual. You can go all the way to the maximum mileage or time frame shown in your owner's manual for oil changes when using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. This allows the reserve protection capabilities of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ to cover the unusual or unexpected driving conditions that we all experience from time to time.

Oil change intervals can be as short as 3,000 miles or as long as 15,000 miles on some new cars. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™'s high-performance reserves give you the confidence to go the full mileage or time frame recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is especially suitable for the latest vehicles with extended drain intervals or vehicles with oil monitoring systems that vary oil drain intervals.

The website for Castrol Syntec synthetic oil includes reference to contaminants in its similar response:

Question: What oil change intervals are recommended for SYNTEC?

Answer: Motor oil serves many purposes. Its primary function is to lubricate and protect, but it also keeps your engine cool and running clean. By changing your oil frequently, you remove by-products of combustion such as acid, soot, abrasives, water and unburned fuel. All of these substances can have damaging effects on both the performance and life of your engine.

You should check your owners' manual for their recommended oil change service. However, we recommend for ultimate protection that you change your motor oil every 3,000 miles (or 3 months).

In sum: Don't go beyond Acura's recommended 7500 miles or 6 months.

Please note, that Mobil One addresses mileage with no reference to time interval.

Yes, they do. Twice they make reference to "the maximum mileage or time frame".

I love my NSX, too. That's why I change my oil every 3750 miles or every 4 months, using synthetic oil. I want to take care of the $18,000 engine in my car, and I would rather follow the manufacturer's instructions (or better) than risk my engine in order to save a few bucks on oil.

I believe in the benefits of synthetic oil. However, if I had a choice between a car that used conventional oil and changed it according to the recommended intervals of time and mileage, or one that used synthetic oil but changed it less often than recommended, I would choose the one with conventional oil. If you feel that you can't afford a synthetic oil change every 7500 miles or 6 months, switch to conventional oil and change it at least that often.

However, it's nice to hear that you're changing your synthetic oil according to Acura's recommendations. IMO that's the best recommendation of all.

I might buy leaving the oil in the engine a bit longer if you had a really, really good filtration system without a bypass mechanism.

Something like...

http://www.cmfilters.com/tech.cfm

...for example.

But in the big picture, oil, even sythethic oil, is fairly inexpensive and it's just not a big deal to change it at or before recommended intervals.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

On the Mobil 1 site, in a specific response to a question from someone who is asking about changing oil in an "infrequently" used sports car, the official Mobil 1 response is:

"We suggest changing your engine oil yearly and doing that change just before the time you will be using your vehicle the most."

I think that sounds reasonable. If you are not driving the car, the synthetic is not going to break down.

I fully believe in rigerous car maintenance, but I also want to understand WHY and not just take generic advice and apply it to my situation in every case.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 06 August 2002).]

I agree with Lud, and appreciate him pointing this out. If a car is going to sit unused for an extended period - or even with an occasional drive just to get everything warmed up - you can adjust your maintenance routine accordingly. In fact, I do this myself. When my NSX is being driven with any regularity, I make sure that it has had an oil change in the preceding 4 months or 3750 miles. But when it sits, I don't follow this rule. My car sits for 4-6 months every winter. I normally have my oil changed when I first take it out in the spring (usually April or late March), and (if I haven't hit 3750 miles) again four months later, in August or late July. That means that the car goes without an oil change for eight months ending in the 4-6 months that it sits unused.

If I only used the car for 3-4 months a year or less, I would only change the oil at the start of that period, matching Mobil's advice for the rarely-driven car.

Originally posted by Lud:
I fully believe in rigerous car maintenance, but I also want to understand WHY and not just take generic advice and apply it to my situation in every case.

Good point. Me too.

I too love my 2000 Monaco Pearl Blue NSX-Targa which was purchased in Mid July 2002. A Beautiful car and exceptional performance.
Thinking of changing to 5W30 Mobil 1 Synthetic. Maintenance Stickers in the Owners Manual shows previous owner changed his oil at 5000 miles and it now has 9200 miles.

Tan

I just realized something as I was coming out of Pizza place for carry out and saw my nsx.

I'm the luckiest bastard in the world to be driving such cool looking badass car!
biggrin.gif

So I love my nsx, too. Oh and it's time for oil change
smile.gif

Originally posted by MAJOR STONER:
Gee, wasn't long ago that car makers had us change the first oil at 2000 miles and then every 7000 thereafter. Now, it is 7000 miles on the first oil and 2000 after that. I sometimes wonder if it wasn't someone in the oil business that came up with the idea to change vehicle oil that frequently, because I don't know of any other lubricants for any other machine or industry, that has recommended changing to such shorter service intervals, while claiming to improve the product.

I don't think that any major manufacturer is stretching oil change intervals, per se. I guess you could argue that BMW does with its computer driven lights that tell you when to change the oil vs. a straight chart in the owners manual.

I also think that people are more concerned with changing oil frequently today as cars are now expected to last much, much longer.

My old man tells me that part of the reason that my Grandpa got a new car every two or three years is because they just weren't built to last all that long back then (relatively speaking and with exception). Today's consumer (myself included) expect to get way more than 100K miles out of a new car.

Hell, we've (I should clarrify, my family) had three LS400 Lexus sedans that we bought new and then sold with 140K = miles on each of them that were as good as new when we sold them.

My first car out of college was a brand new 1996 Civic EX 5 speed. I drove that thing like I stole it (after letting it warm up) but maintained it like it was an irreplacable Bugatti. I sold it 5 years and 70K miles later for 71% of my original purchase price and swear to God that had Honda not changed body styles and you didn't look at the odo, you couldnt' tell that the car wasn't brand new.

Sorry, forgot to add this...

I love my S2000 but I'm envious of your NSX's. Someday, when I can afford it, I really want a 3.2L non targa NSX. In fact, that desire for one is one of the reasons that I foolishly piss away $1 a week playing the lotto.

Two points.
First, I am an accountant, and am allowed not to add correctly :
[This message has been edited by Slingshot (edited 05 August 2002).]

If you are not allowed to add correctly as an accountant, I know of a few openings at Andersen consulting that may be right up your alley!!

already worked there ...how do you think I got my NSX
biggrin.gif
I am using my engineering background now, because I can't read posts that reference time intervals and you only need to read blue prints
wink.gif

... oh yeah ... I love my NSX !

Back