• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I sent a guy $32,500 2 years ago in july and he refuses to send me title but got my $

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before anyone calls me a dumbass, or anything, please read my story and understand my dilemma.

I owned a 95 blk/blk NSX-T which got totaled in an unfortuanate accident. I immediately started looking that day for a replacement vehicle, a blk/blk NSX-T of similair year because I like the targa top.

I found a NSX-T 1996 with 90,000 miles that was listed on e-bay and classy auto.com for 2 months at $42,500. The seller got no bids on e-bay as his car was way over priced. I do auto finance for a living and so I know what cars go for. In the sellers drive way the car might have been worth $42,500 but park it next door in Mr. Smith's driveway and it was worth $32,500 tops.

I negotiated with the owner for 2 weeks and he said the car has comptech headers and exhaust and intake and new wheels and tires and koni adjustable shocks. He failed to mention that the stock rims were scuffed up and basically ruined. The car was in really very very good condition, but, after negotiating up to $32,500 I told the seller I was all in, that was my final offer. He agreed that was a fair price and I told him that I would have him a draft from my credit union for $24,500 and $8000 personal check to him in 2 days, which I did. NOTE WELL: THE BACK OF THE CREDIT UNION DRAFT STATES THAT THE ENDORSERS OF THE CHECK AGREE TO PROVIDE A LIEN FREE TITLE FOR THE AUTOMOBILE TO THE CREDIT UNION. I signed the check and he signed the check and deposited my funds. I then spent $1800 to have a covered car hauling service pick up the car at his residence with all of the extra wheels and original exhaust, etc. which the seller had packed up nicely. Everything seemed peachy. The car hauling service, acting as my agents took delivery of the car in California and started towards Louisiana. Needless to say I was excited! That's when the hell began.

The seller deposited my checks into his account and both of them cleared before the service picked up MY NEW NSX. The car got to Vegas where he had to pick up another car and that's when this guy started acting like an idiot. He repeatedly called me from the time the car was in Vegas until it arrived in Baton Rouge saying that he sold the car too cheap and that he wanted it back. I did auto finance at Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos for 3 years and I know that California has a no cooling off law which as a finance officer I explain to people everytime they took delivery of a car. No cooling off means there is no right of recision and when you drive the car off the lot, no matter what you are an owner. That is the law in California.

It has been over 2 years and my credit union is giving me hell and I unable to drive the car as it depreciates, all because this idiot refuses to send the title to me or the credit union. He claims that he sent it to the credit union, but they insist that they have never received it. The credit union has called him and we have gotten nowhere.

I am at the point now where I, if I must, am going to hire a California attorney and sue the mortal piss out of this idiot for wire fraud, depreciation of the vehicle, the cost of me hiring an attorney, the cost of me flying out there to face this idiot, and any other court costs, and any other costs associated with me having to go through this hell.

This guy has had my $32,500 for over 2 years and I am dead tired of playing games.

Is there anyone out there who knows of an easier, softer way for me to get the title or do I have to sue the crap out of this guy to teach him a lesson? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Any California attornerys NSX owners in the Sacremento area want to help me with this. Thanks.

Do you know this guy by chance:http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131891

if so
smiley_popcorn.gif

if not then, good luck.

Last edited:
You wouldn't put that if you had over $32,000 you had been f***ed out of. What's with the ....

You can't just get a new, Louisiana title issued through some local court action? If the previous owner is claiming that he is not in possession of the title, and you are in possession of the car, and can prove that money changed hands (which it sounds like you can) I would figure there might be some recourse that didn't involved dealing with a contentious former seller. I'm sure there is a "lost title" process there for when a title is destroyed or become illegible for some reason.

Ask a lawyer, I'm not one.

The original owner can get a lost title form from the dmv, feel it out and that's it. I believe it's 10-15 dollars, not sure.

Thanks for the response, I will call a local Baton Rouge attorney. My previous California attorney said he would love to go after his ass(for the right price), but , he works out of Irvine, not Sacremento.
I would appreciate any other intelligent responses. Thanks. I am pissed because I can't enjoy the car like I want to and I paid that S.O.B. the money we agreed to.

IBCOOL I appreciate the story, it just gives me that pit in the stomach feeling thinking about it and how this could happen to others.

I purchased my car locally and it was a private sale. I was so paranoid I only agreed to purchase the car if the seller brought the title to the Williamson County Tax Office (where the Title is issued) to verify ownership. After they were able to verify that the title was legitimate and that there were no existing liens on the car, I signed over the check.

I hope that you are able to get some decent advice here on the forum so that you can enjoy your car.

I appreciate the help from everyone. To the person who gave me the Cali DMV forms. You must understand, I am dealing with a a**hole. This bastard is no more gonna go to the DMV and get a tiltle for me than I am going to fly the next space shuttle.

I am gonna hire me a pitbull for an attorney ( preferably a very short, bald, Jewish guy who eats nails for breakfast) out there if I have to even if it costs me an extra 3 grand and I am gonna rattle this guys f**king chain.

There are some of you in the Sacremento -Elk Grove area who know who this sprockethead is. You might tell him that all hell is about to break lose and he will have to pay for all of my attorney's fees, and any other cost my pissed off attorney can think of. This guy sh*t his bed and he is gonna friggin lay in it.

It states clearly on the back of the check that any endorser of the check MUST SUPPLY A LIEN FREE TITLE, not may, when he feels like it. I am going to see if any criminal charges can be thrown at the idiot while I am at it. I acted in good faith, and I got screwed!!!!!!!!! I have no pity for this idiot!!!!!

If your going to sue him, get an attorney in his area. From what I understand, you are going to have to sue him at a court nearest him. I'm sure you Irvine pitbull attorney doesn't mind taking your money and traveling up there, but that might just pad his wallet.

I am not an attorney. I could be wrong.

My Irvine guy doesn't want to travel, but, I am calling him tomorrow, and asking him to find me the above described Jewish fellah that wears vicegrips on his nuts when he makes court appearances just so he is more pissed off when he makes a court appearance on my behalf and I am gonna laugh my ass off while he verbally annihilates this guy and opposing counsel. I am personally gonna fly out there to witness this. He done F**cked over the wrong Cajun. Nuf said. Word out!!!!

Don't you have a bill of sale signed by both parties? That's really all you need to get a new title, etc etc.

Pretty basic stuff... I ___ herby sell X car for X amount on X date to X person. Signed by X and X.

I always print one up when I buy/sell cars to private parties, in addition to the title BS.

IT appears to me that the bank screwed up honoring the draft. That is why
you do" no tiki no shirtie". I would guess the bank lost the title.

I think you have a strong case here because if the guy stated he didn't authorize the car to be sold, etc. then how did the shipping company get a hold of the car (no one in their right mind would allow an out of state shipping company pick up their vehicle if the full selling price were not honored); that's just plain ol common sense.

The above shows the guy faithfully sold you the car. Even so he cashed your cheques...

I'd hate to be in the sellers shoes.:rolleyes:

Run a bunch of red light cameras and the tickets will get sent to him. :biggrin:

Don't you have a bill of sale signed by both parties? That's really all you need to get a new title, etc etc.

Pretty basic stuff... I ___ herby sell X car for X amount on X date to X person. Signed by X and X.

I always print one up when I buy/sell cars to private parties, in addition to the title BS.

I preface this by stating I'm no lawyer. I can only relate my recent experience of purchasing an out-of-state NSX (from California) and bringing it to Georgia.

I partially financed my purchase through a credit union. Like your financial institution, my credit union also wanted the title once I received it. When I flew to SoCal, I inspected (professional PPI) the car and finalized the deal with a generic BOS not too unlike the one suggested by DrVolkl. While I was in SoCal, I obtained a California "Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form" (REG 262 Rev. 2/2007). Section 2 of this document also acts as a Bill of Sale. We both signed it, I accompanied the seller to his bank and watched him pay off the bank lien, then I left with the car while he filed for the title through the California DMV. I received the title 28 days later from the California DMV (we have 30 days to register new/used vehicle purchases here in Georgia).

Now, that's the way it worked for me. But, the whole time I was waiting for that title to arrive in my mailbox, I was wondering what would I do should the title NOT find its way to me. The conclusion I came to was this: as long as I had a BOS, I was "covered". I figured, perhaps incorrectly, that I had the vehicle, he cashed the checks, and I had his signature stating the vehicle was mine. That, in and of itself, would probably be enough for me to petition the California DMV for a duplicate title. I say probably because it never got to that point.

The real question here is do you have a Bill of Sale and did the seller sign it? If the answer to that question is yes, then you ought to be able to call the California DMV, explain the situation, and get a duplicate title. If you do not have a BOS, it certainly appears that you need to pursue legal action. Another thing you might need to concern yourself with is liability. If, for example, the car were involved in an accident, who is going to get paid if the car is determined a total loss? On the flip-side, and taking it to the extreme, if you commit a heinous crime while driving the vehicle, does the title holder bear responsibility also? If it's been two years, has this guy been paying registration fees to the Cali DMV for that time? If not, why not ... for he is the title holder in the eyes of the law in California, right?

In summation, I'd start with a call to the California DMV, talk to a live person, ask them what your options are. Seems to me just a simple request for a duplicate title is in order.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it's interesting that the Louisiana DMV would allow you to register the car without the title.

Good luck, let us know how this eventually works out.

Re: I sent a guy $32,500 2 years ago in July and he refuses to send me title but got

I have not been able to register the car here in Louisiana,and, the only time that I get to drive it is when I get a friend of mine to let me borrow his dealer tags. I do have the car insured, and have been making the payments.

The credit union says they going to raise my rate from 5% to 9.9% if I do not get the title soon.( WHICH THE ATTORNEY SAYS I CAN SUE HIM FOR)

If any of you guys know this guy(the seller) his name is DANIEL JACKSON, and he was supposedly an ex cop from Elk Grove,Ca. He lives, as I remember it, on a street called Lennox Way. Being an ex cop you would think he would know that sh*t is gonna rain down on him in short order. I am putting this info out there not to embarrass him, but, so that one of you guys might let him know that I have the money and mindset to bury his ass and hopefully put him in jail if he does not get that friggin title to me real soon, and, I can assure you that I now have set the wheels in motion, and, this is going to, according to my attorney, cost him some serious money. I have the trucking company representative, who was harrassed to hell and back ready to do a deposition with said attorney, to confirm that Mr Jackson did everything in his power to throw a wrench in the spokes of the deal that his stupid ass consumated when he cashed my checks and when he gave the car to my delivery company driver, who was acting as my agent. The attormey tells me I can sue the shit out of this guy and win.

So, I am HAPPY TO SUE THE MORTAL PISS OUT OF DANIEL JACKSON, AND LET HIM PAY FOR MY FACTOR X TWIN TURBO SETUP I'VE BEEN EYEING, NUF SAID. WORD OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attorneys have there place but I think you are going about this all wrong. The cheapest way to get out of this mess is to arrange to return the car and get your money back. But its likelly he does not have the money. :rolleyes:

I hope this goes in your favor. I know my credit union would shit bricks if they did not get title.
Why haven't they pursued anything? Technically they are out X amount. What if you stopped paying?
How are they going to repo a car that is not yours nor theirs? I work at a used car dealership
Here in cali. When we take a car in on trade we look at the registration to see if there is a leinholder
If so call bank for a 10 day payout. If the vehicle is free and they don't have a title...there is a form
That is from dmv that gives the dealership basically power of attorney so we can get a lost title blah blah blah.
The problem with suing the guy...even if you win... He can stall payments FOREVER. He can go in there
Claim hardship etc and male monthly payments to you for the next 100 years. I hope it works out.
Question though...why did you wait two years to try and resolve this? I would have got tired of petting
My nsx after two weeks of no driving? Weren't you worried about a statued of limitations or legal
Exclusions? Again I hope it works out. The other place you should try is internet fraud I think the website ws
Ep3.gov or .com and I would report him to ebay. We wouldn't want this to happen again

Som why don't you pm me and let me talk to yuor boss and throw him some duckies, he helps me get title, and I go register the car in Lousiaina. Help a brother out!!!!1111

Has your attorney sent any registered letters to this guy demanding the title?

Run a bunch of red light cameras and the tickets will get sent to him. :biggrin:
LOL, but in reality, thats not a bad idea.:wink: Plus if you have tolls in LA you never have to stop and pay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back