• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

IN THE SHOP | 2017 NSX R&D Project

Following for updates. I have the same question, why such small piping? Something to do with the hybrid system?

i cant wait to see that asap, also will u be makeing a test pipe ??

Beautiful setup!

At NSXPO, one of the Pike's Peak NSX's were showing off it's 4" turbo back setup which sounded amazing! Any reason why you guys chose to use 2.5" vs larger pipes say 3" or larger? For a turbo car we would think the larger the better?

Can't wait for your sound clips........!

Kudos for supporting this car and doing it so efficiently!

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! I'm pushing for some video clips ASAP :)

As far as piping diameter, the OEM system uses a 2.375"/60mm and our original design was to use 2.5" so the outlet would fit in the OEM tip opening. The guys here believe that 2.5" will be optimal for the 3.5L TT engine but I'm going to do a run of 2.75" as well, with dyno results of course.

Also, here's a teaser of our HJS Sport Cat and Catbypass pipes.

Compared to OEM

just amzing got any more videos

awesome stuff fabspeed! cant wait to see + hear more. I'm biased as i've have fabspeed intake + exhaust on my car for years :)

Now that is a proper set of tips, thank you for that attention to detail. The factor tips look like an after thought. The audio clip at https://www.instagram.com/p/BV-qg6RBnf7/ sounds amazing, can't wait to see the performance gains. My only hesitation is voiding the warranty once Acura knows is aware I've swapped it out.

Last edited:
awesome stuff fabspeed! cant wait to see + hear more. I'm biased as i've have fabspeed intake + exhaust on my car for years :)

damn that looks SO BADASS. cant wait to hear it on a car!

Now that is a proper set of tips, thank you for that attention to detail. The factor tips look like an after thought. The audio clip at https://www.instagram.com/p/BV-qg6RBnf7/ sounds amazing, can't wait to see the performance gains. My only hesitation is voiding the warranty once Acura knows is aware I've swapped it out.

Thanks everyone! The car sounds absolutely intoxicating and has a very prominent turbo spool!

Here are a few videos - this is with our Catbypass Pipes, Muffler Bypass and Deluxe Quad Tips. Let me know your thoughts! :smile:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! The car sounds absolutely intoxicating and has a very prominent turbo spool!

Here are a few videos - this is with our Catbypass Pipes, Muffler Bypass and Deluxe Quad Tips. Let me know your thoughts! :smile:

could you do more stuff like video 1 without the music? I'd love to hear it semi-cruising/pulling. Sounds great

Best sound so far,fantastic work,will be referring some ppl

Thank you! I'm really excited about this one! Be sure to have them ask for Alec and I'll take care of them :)

could you do more stuff like video 1 without the music? I'd love to hear it semi-cruising/pulling. Sounds great

Thank you! And sure! I have a few more videos coming, just need to finish editing and then shoot the Sport Cat set-up.

sounds awesome!

Thank you!

Check out our baseline run vs. adding our Catbypass/Muffler Bypass. HUGE gains! Pretty consistent too, put down 511, 521, 527, 528 :smile:

NSX Delta.JPG

Last edited:
Yes i am forwarding them your infos,that is a fantastic gain in power and torque ,almost 80 hp more,really impressive and get the benefit of the great sounding too

Well done sir

Looking forward to your customer doing some 0-60 and quarter mile runs to see if the car can translate the power gain to a performance gain

Are those gains with a tune?

Would love to see 60-130MPH runs before and after (or trap speeds in 1/4 mile).

Last edited:
Yes i am forwarding them your infos,that is a fantastic gain in power and torque ,almost 80 hp more,really impressive and get the benefit of the great sounding too

Wow, impressive gains indeed and great sound on the dyno!

Well done sir

Looking forward to your customer doing some 0-60 and quarter mile runs to see if the car can translate the power gain to a performance gain

Are those gains with a tune?

Would love to see 60-130MPH runs before and after (or trap speeds in 1/4 mile).

Thanks everyone!

No tune (yet)! Trust me - I was optimistically shooting for 500whp so I was pleasantly surprised when I first saw the dyno chart. Seat-of-the-pants dyno feels much quicker as well; the car is a total animal!

We have a tune in the works via OBDII but that is still in the early stages. We have the Sport Cats installed and I'm going to grab some videos/dyno runs hopefully today.

I'll see if I can have my customer grab some track numbers at some point :)

this is just amzing

That's crazy (so much power without tune).

I think before and after "real world" numbers are a must to confirm that the dyno numbers show up on the street/track. Nothing exotic, just before and after acceleration runs (can use Harry's lap timer, etc.). Until we all have more experience with the new NSX, I think we won't know how it behaves on the Dyno relative to the real world.

agree.....80 peak hp seems excessive for a new car with just bolt ons....I hope acura is watching...some engineers may be blushing....

I think 80/500 = 16% gains on a modern turbocharged car is actually modest in terms of gains *from a tune* (software/mapping updates). It's just that you never see that from exhaust only. That is usually in the 5-20HP range and, even then, sometimes you need a tune to get that (on top of "Stage 1" gains from tune only).

The part that has me scratching my head is 80HP WITHOUT a tune.

agree.....80 peak hp seems excessive for a new car with just bolt ons....I hope acura is watching...some engineers may be blushing....

My Buddy has a Z06 stock stage 2 I think. He added a full akrapovic exhaust. He saw +70. If he added the intake 90hp. no tune.... We both were pretty surprised it was that much. I hope those numbers for the NSX stay true. That's a lot!!

The power curve looks much better in the peak horsepower area. Instead of the stock choke at 6,000 rpm and plateau, the peak curve is raised almost to 6800 rpm before it falls off. That's really impressive. I wonder if the 3 inch exhaust would pull the peak hp closer to 7,500 rpm?

Quite impressive! Nice numbers indeed. The sound is nice too. Certainly sounds much nicer than the 1st Gen V6 sans mufflers! Those turbos really clean up the sound well. Would love to see the effect in both power and sound with aftermarket downpipes.

Don't modern cars like this run full close-lipped on a wideband? That's what my tuner told me about the GT-R. So the car in effect tunes itself for the new exhaust. A "tune" for such a car amounts to changing the target values for boost or AFR. I'm sure there are certain maps that warrant adjusting but my understanding is that it's nothing like tuning maps for open-loop operation.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/x7KY-b6NYfk?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sounds amazing!

Back