• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

IN THE SHOP | 2017 NSX R&D Project

I can personally vouch for Fabspeed. There products are awesome. Had their products on our Maserati before I sold it. Living in Philly, they are not to far from me and have heard great things about their facility. Although I love my 97 NSX, this is the first time the new 17s have caught my attention. I probably haven't posted on Prime in years, so I'm subscribing just to follow!

That sounds amazing, great work!

Don't modern cars like this run full close-lipped on a wideband? That's what my tuner told me about the GT-R. So the car in effect tunes itself for the new exhaust. A "tune" for such a car amounts to changing the target values for boost or AFR. I'm sure there are certain maps that warrant adjusting but my understanding is that it's nothing like tuning maps for open-loop operation.

You are right! Most electronic systems like the stability control, ECU in cars these days can account for changes made by the customer with closed loop self learning algorithm. The ECU should adjust with the wideband much better than older cars.

Amazing work!! can't imagine how much fun it would be.

Will you guys be doing dyno with high flow cats once it is ready? I love to have more sound, but while still be a bit stealthy. This is getting more exciting, can't wait to see more.

You are right! Most electronic systems like the stability control, ECU in cars these days can account for changes made by the customer with closed loop self learning algorithm. The ECU should adjust with the wideband much better than older cars.
Agreed, the motor closed looped ecu for most FI cars from the factory have much wider range of controls to the afr/boost/ignition and other vital engine parameters. More so for reliability and emissions than anything else, as a beneficial side effect the ecu has a better capabilities to "self learn" than ever before.

Speaking of emissions, I wonder if emissions and packaging played a bigger role in the oem exhaust design as they do on most cars. Since the car can't be manufactured without good packaging and meeting emission standards, this was the best they could do in the time and budget they had.

Bypassing the secondary cats would prob violate strict euro and or Carb standards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for the positive feedback! I'll be honest - I was a bit blown away by dyno numbers too. We are going to run the car again with a few different set-ups just to confirm.

In the meantime...

HJS 200 Cell Sport Cat Pipes & Muffler Bypass! Swapped the Polished Chrome tips for Black Chrome too.

I took the car up to a local meet this weekend and the seat-of-the-pants dyno feels much quicker. No CELs either with this set up and sounds very aggressive :smile:

More to come!

- Alec

Why does it make the turbos so loud? I'm not a fan of turbo whistle. Just curious why it is so loud now if the intake side is still oem.

I was asking a legit question. Sorry if I am not up to speed on turbos. I really love the sound at the end of the rpm range. But lower rpm it sounds a bit F350 super duty-ish. Not bashing though, just asking questions.

I was asking a legit question. Sorry if I am not up to speed on turbos. I really love the sound at the end of the rpm range. But lower rpm it sounds a bit F350 super duty-ish. Not bashing though, just asking questions.

You're hearing the unfettered noise of the exhaust-side turbines of the turbos. Usually the sound is muffled by the, well, mufflers.

^ Yes understood now. Didn't wanna hijack this thread. I'm sorry for asking. Sometimes I just wish turbo cars didn't sound like school buses. Great work to Fabspeed though, I sincerely mean that. Especially since they are probably first on the market! Once we can make turbo V6's sound like V8's, V10's, and V12's, I am so in....:biggrin:

You're hearing the unfettered noise of the exhaust-side turbines of the turbos. Usually the sound is muffled by the, well, mufflers.

Correct - and the Primary/Secondary Cats will tone it down a bit too. Our HJS 200 cell Cats flow 93% of a straight pipe so you'll notice more turbo spool, plus our Sport Cat set-up deletes the redundant Secondary Cats.

I also just received official pricing - PM for details. Taking orders too :)

- Alec

Not too surprising. Factory mufflers and ESPECIALLY cats are HUGE restrictions, which is horrible for power in turbocharged cars. Removing cats in any modern turbocharged car will greatly reduce back pressure on the turbo and yield big gains across the board.

Do you have a Dyno of your sport cats vs stock?

Great to see you guys supporting the NSX.

Thank you all for the support! I'm glad to have been a part of this project and what they says is true, the more seat time you have with the car, the more you love it. IMO, otherwise it's not a car that you can fully experience/understand.

I am excited to share our full 2nd Generation NSX product line, available for order! (With forum discount, obviously :smile: - PM/email for more info - Call and ask for Alec). More pictures to come...

NSX Twin Turbo – Emissions Compliant Performance Package
Premium German-imported HJS 200 cell Catalytic Converters with 321SS flex bellows and all hardware and gaskets. CNC precision machined flanges. In addition, CNC mandrel bent high flow Maxflo Rear Exhaust with quad tips in your choice of Black Chrome or Polished Stainless Steel. BMC F1 high performance air filters and ECU tuning available soon.

NSX Twin Turbo – Competition Race Performance Package
Dual Catbypass Downpipes with 321 Stainless Steel flex bellows and all hardware and gaskets. In addition, CNC mandrel bent Maxflo Rear Exhaust with quad tips in your choice of Black Chrome or Polished Stainless Steel. BMC F1 high performance air filters and ECU tuning available soon.

Fabspeed Acura NSX 2017+ Twin Turbo Sport Catalytic Converters
- Direct replacement bolt-on, precision crafted pipes to replace 4 small, restrictive OEM Ceramic Catalytic Converters
- Premium HJS German Imported 200 cell Tri-Metallic super high-flow Catalytic Converters – flow 93% of a straight pipe.
- No Check Engine Light
- Aggressive sports car sound with prominent turbo spool
- Save 21 pounds and 9 KG versus OEM NSX Catalytic Converters
- Precision manufactured in USA using HAAS CNC, FLOW WATERJET, HJS German Catalytic Converters and 321 Stainless Steel
- NSX Catalytic Converters come with all hardware and gaskets ready to install with OEM heat shields.

Fabspeed Acura NSX 2017+ Twin Turbo Catbypass Downpipes
- Direct replacement bolt-on precision crafted pipes to replace 4 small, restrictive OEM Ceramic Catalytic Converters.
- Aggressive sports car sound with prominent turbo spool
- Save 27 pounds and 12 KG versus OEM NSX Catalytic Converters
- Precision manufactured in USA using HAAS CNC, FLOW WATERJET and 321 stainless steel
- NSX Catbypass Pipes/Downtubes come with all hardware and gaskets ready to install with OEM heat shields.

Fabspeed Acura NSX 2017+ Twin Turbo MAXFLO Rear Exhaust
- Direct replacement bolt-on precision crafted, mandrel bent 2.5” pipes to replace restrictive and heavy OEM Acura valved exhaust.
- No Check Engine Light guaranteed. Complies with emissions and warranty.
- Increased sportscar sound and Turbo spool.
- Save 19 pounds and 8.5 KG versus stock NSX valved exhaust
- Precision manufactured in USA using HAAS CNC, FLOW WATERJET, and UNISON LTD mandrel bending equipment
- System comes with quad tips ready to install in Black Chrome or Polished Stainless Steel

Fabspeed Acura NSX 2017+ Twin Turbo MAXFLO Competition Rear Exhaust
- Direct replacement bolt-on, precision crafted, mandrel bent 3.0” 76mm pipes to replace restrictive and heavy OEM Acura valved exhaust.
- No Check Engine Light guaranteed. Complies with emissions and warranty.
- Increased sportscar sound and Turbo spool.
- Saves 19 pounds and 8.5 KG versus stock NSX valved exhaust
- Precision manufactured in USA using HAAS CNC, FLOW WATERJET, and UNISON LTD mandrel bending equipment
- Angle-cut dual outlets

Fabspeed Motorsport Acura NSX Twin Turbo BMC F1 High Performance Air Filters
- Direct replacement high flow filters for the stock OEM airboxes
- Formula 1 quality as used by professional sports car racing teams and amateur teams

Fabspeed Motorsport Acura NSX Twin Turbo ECU Software Tuning
- Dyno developed tune for the stock Acura NSX - bone stock, no changes
- Dyno developed tune for the stock Acura NSX with Fabspeed Catbypass Pipes and rear MAXFLO exhaust
- Dyno developed tune for the stock Acura NSX with Fabspeed HJS German 200 cell Sport Cats and rear MAXFLO exhaust
- OBDII based handheld device

Fabspeed Motorsport USA- Carbon Fiber Interior Floor Mats/Guards
- Precision waterjet cut from carbon fiber sheet for Driver & Passenger Sides
- Allows stable platform for racing and driving and protects your carpet
- Simple do it yourself installation/removal in seconds

Fabspeed Motorsport USA- Front License Plate/Tow Hook/Go-Pro Combination Mount
- Screws into your emergency tow hook slot.
- Precision crafted from T7075/6061 Aluminum
- Multi-functional- race tow hook- GO PRO Camera mount and license plate holder
- Saves your bumper cover!

Fabspeed Motorsport USA- Front Splitter Guard/Skid Plate
- Precision waterjet cut from HDPE. Attaches easily to the underside of the NSX front splitter
- Protects your front splitter from driveways and speedbumps. Comes with hardware ready to install
- Simple do it yourself installation.

Last edited:
Seems like there is a lot of talk about heat shields, what are your thoughts on that.

Back