• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iPad mini

Looks like this thing is really coming out. I might have to buy an extra console and modify if it does. Anyone else excited about this?

Also are you guys aware of the new "iPod out" function from the new digital connector?

what's your end-goal?

Looks like this thing is really coming out. I might have to buy an extra console and modify if it does. Anyone else excited about this?

Also are you guys aware of the new "iPod out" function from the new digital connector?
A neat du'jour prospect (iPad Mini, integrating into NSX, etc) but why not just "mirror" your (capable) iPhone onto an LCD already installed/integrated.

Owning (presumably a 4G-data enabled iPhone), then acquiring a 4G-data capable iPad Mini, seems redundant. Unless, using an iPhone (and it's cellular-data prowess) to "mirror" onto a Wifi-only iPad Mini... :confused:

I'm still a fan of the Pioneer AVIC F500BT & its peers (ie. current iterations/analogs), as they allow the OEM/stock Bose setup to remain while adding to a JDM nav-pod a touchscreen LCD, amplified sound, MP3-MP4, Bluetooth, etc capability relatively seamlessly. Not that the stock sound-system is audiophile'tastic, but just to preserve to original ergonomics & look of the cabin & not add lotsa weight & modification (via after-market amp/sub/speakers/head-unit).

(?) What is/was the successor by Pioneer for their "on-dash" F500BT? I had it bookmarked awhile back & now I can't find it! :eek:

Last edited:
I'm specifically interested in getting a pristine digital signal out of the iThings and into an excellent DAC/processor.

My only two concerns, if you replace the head unit and ashtray area with a small tablet...

1) How do you get source selection and volume control? Assuming you use a processor with a wired remote (expensive, heavy, space-consuming), where do you mount both the processor and the remote?

2) How do I get FM radio? Even with 4G LTE built into tablets now, data plans ain't unlimited anymore, and I listen to the radio a LOT, so streaming is not an option.

My original thought was the Alpine processor which can control an Alpine HD radio unit over whatever their proprietary bus is, but the Alpine processor is one of the biggest ones, and their wired remote has the same footprint as a freaking single DIN head unit!

Basically there isn't room on the dash for a 7" tablet AND the outboard remote for a processor. I guess given TURBO2GO's recent discovery the passenger footwell under-carpet area could be shared by a small amp and a small processor.

Last edited:
Re: what's your end-goal?

but why not just "mirror" your (capable) iPhone onto an LCD already installed/integrated.

:

Because mirroring devices are outdated, expensive clunkers wrought with problems. Why do that when you can get the pad itself for $300? Those mirroring units like mimics will not be around much longer. They are band aids.

Tethering, the ability for the tablet to use your phone as a 3/4G connection is now free with many of Verizon's plans, as is a package that allows you to use the phone and a tablet on the same shared network. It's almost included In the package now, they are moving away from the old plans.

1) How do you get source selection and volume control? Assuming you use a processor with a wired remote (expensive, heavy, space-consuming), where do you mount both the processor and the remote?

2) How do I get FM radio? Even with 4G LTE built into tablets now, data plans ain't unlimited anymore, and I listen to the radio a LOT, so streaming is not an option.

My original thought was the Alpine processor which can control an Alpine HD radio unit over whatever their proprietary bus is, but the Alpine processor is one of the biggest ones, and their wired remote has the same footprint as a freaking single DIN head unit!

Basically there isn't room on the dash for a 7" tablet AND the outboard remote for a processor. I guess given TURBO2GO's recent discovery the passenger footwell under-carpet area could be shared by a small amp and a small processor.

Whoa.... DAC? processor? You realize this is an NSX and not a sound treated media room, right? What's the point of all that?

Radio uses very little data. I use my radio all the time and I've never gone over my basic 2GB data plan. One YouTube video is like the same as 14 hours of radio straight. It's a non-issue.

As far as volume, why can't you just use the iPad volume? Or the volume knob off the amp installed in the dash like I have suggested in my other thread? Why do you need a processor?

Another function available on ios6 is the ability to lock down the pad. To delete apps that you do not want, so that you can limit the tablets functionality and simplify its home screen. So your home screen can show just the functions you want in the car, and not have a "stocks" or a "game center" button.

An app like "tune-in radio" gives you 10,000 radio stations not just the 9 local ones (which are also available). It records, it has scheduling. I like science Friday on NPR. I like knowing what the Rovers are doing on Mars. I schedule it to record like my home DVR for cableTV and it's always there when I get back in the car. It's a $1 app.

It makes terrestrial radio feel like it belongs in the Bronze age.

Last edited:
As far as volume, why can't you just use the iPad volume? Or the volume knob off the amp installed in the dash like I have suggested in my other thread? Why do you need a processor?

It's suspected that the new Lightning connector does not provide line-level analog audio like the 30 pin did (so, the Lightning to 30pin adapter contains a small DAC chip), so you're stuck either installing a Lightning to 30pin adapter in your car (yuck), using the poorly amplified headphone jack (double yuck), or getting digital audio out of the iPad over USB and a Lightning to USB cable.

Something like the iStreamer would work and could plug directly into an amp (assuming that amp had an outboard remote with a volume control).

So the simple solution is (theoretical iPad mini) -> (Lightning to USB cable) -> (iStreamer) -> Amp w/ wired remote

But, you've mentioned in your other thread how you would consider using a Kicker Front Row or similar to do some processing on the sound... so why make the sound run through an unnecessary extra set of ADC -> DAC to do it?

Other devices can take digital audio out of an iPad and turn it into an optical signal. From there you can get digital audio into your processor, which can do all your EQ and time correction before the signal ever touches a DAC.

Edit: Specs on the Kicker box are sparse (does not say whether it features an optical input) but I know other processors do feature optical in.

Last edited:
Unfortunately my crossover of choice has no digital in. But... DACs are a dime a dozen these days, I get good ones for $40. It's not really an issue. But we don't know what it has for an output yet.

Yes, you should always buy an amp that has remote level control. That is.why I like JL but there are also adapters like the JL CLC that also creates correct voltage for the signal and does not degrade it at all.

In short, volume is not a problem. Trust me.

Just wondering about the physical placement of the iPad and whatever knob/controller/thingy you end up using. You want the iPad to be visible from the driving position and not blocked by the shifter so it has to be higher up (i.e. right under the CCU). So where does whatever controller thingy you end up using go?

I've thought about this. At first I tought it was a problem but really, in the car you just rotate the pad on a rotating mount and you have access to HVAC controls. You don't constantly fiddle with these don't forget.

Btw another way to send audio is Bluetooth. So it's fully wireless. The pad doesn't need constant charging. An iPad battery lasts like a week without a charge and medium use. Or like 12 hours straight.

Besides, in time, launch port will make a unit for the mini... Then it's a magnetic snap onto the mount and charging all in one. I already tried putting this in my NSX but it's too big on the iPad. For the mini, it might work.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CkSfIJ5ZGSw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
I know people are putting tablets in the navpod but it's not a great place for a unit you need to touch. Wrong place IMO. You have to really reach. The radio and its controls belong where the radio IS.

Btw another way to send audio is Bluetooth. So it's fully wireless. The pad doesn't need constant charging. An iPad battery lasts like a week without a charge and medium use. Or like 12 hours straight.

Besides, in time, launch port will make a unit for the mini... Then it's a magnetic snap onto the mount and charging all in one. I already tried putting this in my NSX but it's too big on the iPad. For the mini, it might work.

I would whine about the relatively low quality of Bluetooth audio, but then you would remind me yet again how sub-ideal the NSX cabin is as a listening environment. :biggrin:

The LaunchPort is super cool, and the idea of rotating to landscape to reveal the CCU above and the audio controls below is also awesome. Props for that.

One guy I know installed an Airport Express in his car and then used Airplay (over Wi-fi) to play music from his phone. Airplay over 802.11n is extremely high quality and the Airport Express even offers an optical out for nutjobs like me.

You can do that too. I havent checked into a 12V conversion for the unit, I honestly doubt there would be a discernable difference in the NSX between bluetooth and wifi.

We will probably have to revisit this once the pad is actually out.

Yep. I found a one-box amp + processor thing with an optical input that's 1ft x 1ft... but it's $3500 lol. (Brax NOX4BDSP if anyone is curious).

So my ideal system, I guess, is:

(Theoretical iPad mini) -> (Lightning to USB cable) -> (gutted Pure i-20 or similar) -> (optical audio cable) -> (cheaper equivalent to the Brax box) -> speakers

Sounds like a system better suited to your living room. :biggrin:

Regarding FM radio... Even if TuneIn doesn't chew through much data, sometimes it's still nice to have reliable, simple, stone-age tech during a disaster/emergency scenario when the cell towers aren't working.... I guess this is more of a concern for those of us who DD our NSX and are likely to get stuck somewhere in an earthquake with it.

Regarding FM radio... Even if TuneIn doesn't chew through much data, sometimes it's still nice to have reliable, simple, stone-age tech during a disaster/emergency scenario when the cell towers aren't working.... I guess this is more of a concern for those of us who DD our NSX and are likely to get stuck somewhere in an earthquake with it.

this will suffice for your "just in case" situation that you're concerned about:biggrin:
am/fm/solar/no worry about battery or 12v

Emergency-Crank-Solar-AM-FM-Radio-with-LED-Flashlight.jpg

Last edited:
Secret audio offers a completely hidden radio for kit cars. Works off a remote. You could tether it to an iPhone and stream media/music to it. That would be sick!

Looked at the dimensions and I think it is going to be too big (without modification) to fit in the navpod. I was thinking of replacing my f500bt with the ipad mini and pairing it with my AVH 4100. I will look into this......

It was never going to fit in the navpod. It may, however, fit in the center console in portrait in lieu of a traditional head unit.

Dave, have you ever used an iPad outside? Its useless. You cannot see the screen. I think you would find in the car in the dash it would be equally useless.

Even nav units with matte screens are hard to see.

Back