• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iPad mini

I haven't taken apart my 30 to lightning adapter yet, but in glad that it will work as a right angle adapter.

What type of magnets are you using? Rare earth magnets? If not try www.kjmagnetics.com I just placed a order. The magnets are for a different project but ill let you know if they hold the mini up or not.

I'll give those a try. Thanks for the link. I had bought "craft magnets" at Harbor Freight. Worthless.

I found some magnets that work but unfortunately the actual back of the device (the flat part) is not the magnetic area. The tapered rim is magnetic... so the idea of having it stick to a flat surface sadly will not work.

What a lot of people do is an open-face "cradle" that touches the tapered edges and uses the magnets to reinforce its hold on the device. Leaning towards going that route. My fiberglass guy wants to do a full "sheath" with an open top for the thing to slide into, but I think that will be really ugly - especially when the device is removed.

Sorry i forgot to post back.

I found some magnets that work but unfortunately the actual back of the device (the flat part) is not the magnetic area. The tapered rim is magnetic... so the idea of having it stick to a flat surface sadly will not work.

Thats exactly what i noticed on my LTE model. I picked up those rare earth magnets and as bngl3rt posted it only grabs on the tapered rim. I noticed that where they do grab on the rim the magnets aren't evenly spaced on it (if that makes sense).

The latest thinking after a conversation with an installer yesterday is to relocate the CCU, either to where the ashtray is, or into the gun box, so that the iPad can be mounted directly under the vents, allowing for it to sit flush/countersunk instead of having to sit up higher with the corners overlapping the leather trim.

I am also being pushed away from a processor back towards a head unit... I'll be sure to get a nice one that allows for good tuning.

I think this is going way too far personally. It's too much cutting and customizing for a product that changes on a regular basis. I am going to simply magnet mount mine on a short arm slightly in front of the console.

I am still waiting for one of my home automation companies to build the wireless charging device for the mini. It's definitely in the works. But also my garage time is going to be limited until spring. Getting a snow storm over the weekend. I have to travel to get to my garage. I am firmly against a permanent ipad mini install now. I feel I have the best solution with my adaptor which allows it to magnetically pop on, rotate, and charge. Without any wires. Fully removable as you exit the car. It is safer, especially if you have the targa off. It can go in the trunk/glove which can be locked. It has a protective case as well. What I will mount permanently in the dash is the base for this magnetic system. It just looks like a 3" plastic circle. Very low key.

Ok, I am back on board the iPad train... after using trapster on a recent road trip I am convinced I need it on all the time, in my field of view. I want to be able to glance at it without really taking my eyes off the road, so I think navpod is the way to go. It won't fit IN the navpod but rather I can use the navpod as a starting point to attach something that can hold it securely (and removably).

I already have the PA11-HON installed so all I need is an iStreamer hidden somewhere in the dash to hook up the iPad to charging and audio line-in. Thinking I'll stick with the stock head unit and stereo for now as my interest has shifted towards radar/laser/scanner/CB - countermeasures for driving fast. You can't really hear the stereo in my car anyway, between the exhaust and the wind noise from the targa.

I have bought a navpod bracket off another prime member... now all I need is a navpod, and I can get started...

The plan is to mold one of these into the navpod and leave the 30pin port exposed inside the navpod:

https://shop.soundmanca.com/lightning-90/dp/13

That way I can use the PA11-HON and the factory head unit "for now", and then switch over to a proper USB cable sometime later...

Interesting. Keep us updated.

Back