• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is the NSX a supercar?

Had some discussions in another thread about the NSX being a supercar or not. Decided to lift it to separate thread.

So what do you think? Is the NSX a supercar or "just" a sports car? What are the definitions of a "supercar"?

Feel free to ventilate =)

Repost. It's been covered multiple times years ago. Is the NSX a real exotic? Is the NSX a supercar? Will it whiten my teeth & freshen my breath?? Blah blah blah.

Figured it was probably a repost. But since, new owners and members has emerged.

I want to know what the definition for a supercar is? Is it a prerequisite that it should be Italian? Or expensive?

the term "supercar" has no true definition. its all up to interpretation.

super car in the 90s imo, but since it failed to upgrade in power it fell behind.

also i think it has exotic looks and feel ...

i just bought mines 2-3 months back, could of gotten a modern day super car like the gtr but imo it didn't look as good as my 04 haha.

i dont regret it bc if i had gotten a gtr i wouldn't of been happy with it long term

Last edited:
It is a classic supercar with great history, exotic material, advance technology during its introduction, low slung, mid engine two seater.

Former Supercar

The NSX is a RETIRED / former Supercar, almost a Classic.

I am based in what people that know this business of cars said in the past, Gordon Murray, Senna etc etc etc they called the NSX a supercar, most respected journalists and professional drivers back in the low 90's also called the NSX a supercar, so, will all due respect, were they on CRACK? or, were they paid by Honda to talk crazy?? yeah, if you see with you eyes @ 2011, yeah, is not s supercar, but is a FORMER, retired supercar, yes.

There's a lot of marvelous cars that were considered "supercars" back in the day that today are classics ... it doesn't mean they can be compared with HYPERCARS of nowadays ....

Just people have short memory, and like to think a "Supercar" it's a Pagany Zonda-R or a 250mph car made in 2010 ... they forget there was past, and thanks to the past we have this amazing cars now.

the question is, "WAS THE NSX A SUPERCAR?" yes, thinking that NOW is a supercar is wrong.

But is a hell of a performer still.

Oscar

When the NSX came out I never in my mind thought it was a Super Car, more like a sports car.

Why?

It didn't have the 400+HP that I considered to be a super car requirement that the Lambo's were delivering.

Nor did it get anywhere close to the top speed that the Diablo or F40 did, which was 200MPH.

NSX power was in sync with the 911s, which aren't considered to be Super Cars.

Last edited:
Re: Former Supercar

The NSX is a RETIRED / former Supercar, almost a Classic.

I am based in what people that know this business of cars said in the past, Gordon Murray, Senna etc etc etc they called the NSX a supercar, most respected journalists and professional drivers back in the low 90's also called the NSX a supercar, so, will all due respect, were they on CRACK? or, were they paid by Honda to talk crazy?? yeah, if you see with you eyes @ 2011, yeah, is not s supercar, but is a FORMER, retired supercar, yes.

There's a lot of marvelous cars that were considered "supercars" back in the day that today are classics ... it doesn't mean they can be compared with HYPERCARS of nowadays ....

Just people have short memory, and like to think a "Supercar" it's a Pagany Zonda-R or a 250mph car made in 2010 ... they forget there was past, and thanks to the past we have this amazing cars now.

the question is, "WAS THE NSX A SUPERCAR?" yes, thinking that NOW is a supercar is wrong.

But is a hell of a performer still.

Oscar
Yes, they were on crack, the real super cars at that time was the Ferarri F-40, Diablo, Jaguar XJ220, F-50, Mclaren...

Last edited:
I would not say its a super car. If it had way more power I would. I look at it as the greatest Japanese SPORTS CAR ever built. I say that because it hits all the key aspects styling, performance, and reliability just to name a few big ones. The lack of power will always never make it a super car.

the pagani is a "hypercar" as called by Top Gear UK. its a step beyond supercars like Ferrari's.

as far as i am concerned, the NSX is a "90's Japanese Supercar" but that is more of a name for that group of cars, not really calling them "Supercars"

when i think supercar, i think low sleek sexy styling with performance to back it up. so in a sense it is... but i don't really care for labels. my friend, when she got her NSX, she posted up "MY SUPERCAR!!!!" on myFace or whatever and soon she got sick of it and sold it. perhaps to her it was all about the label. i'm more in it for the car.

wrong car for some.

But that's the fundamental DIFFERENCE between the NSX and the other "super" euro JUNK at those times, the NSX didn't come with crazy HP, didn't have a high TOP END speed, but was an overall performer, like, take it to the track and do more than 4 laps type of thing, like, a true performer that was reliable and HUMANE, to the point of been a bit soft in some senses.

Looking @ the straight line or brutality point of view is the exactly worst way to see the NSX, and that's why I am not driving a "faster" car but an NSX, that's what attracts me, the whole, overall experience, the whole thing that changed the game, not the brutal straight line speed, but the vintage supercar performance.

and the McLaren came in 94, other than the F40, Cizeta (junk) and Porsche 959, the rest was CRAP and we all know, although, I'd love to own any of those brutal classics too ... in the end, I love cars anyways.

That's why some NSX owners struggle, some like the NSX for what it is, not for what is NOT.

Oscar

Is Batman a superhero? I mean technically he really doesn't have real "super" powers. He's rich, strong and smart and has a lot of cool gadgets, but does that really make you a superhero?

yeah, in a sense, the Japanese (300ZX TT and NSX) redefined the Supercar... Ferrari's and Porsche's at the time were junk, no doubt about it. these two Japanese cars came on the scene and made them get their act together... they even helped the other Japanese car makers step up their game, the RX-7 was made to beat the NSX and the Supra was made to beat the Z. sadly the Japanese lost their way and they all died off... but they lit a fire under the euro trash and they never stopped going... now supercars are not only blazing fast, but also reliable enough to daily drive.

All I know is it's super-double-bitchin'.

Back