• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

IYO: What COLOR should INTERIOR should I Switch 2

My Dilema. I have a 91 Black w/Ivory 40K perfect condition car. Its has never been a daily driver, but now it will be. I want to protect this Ivory interior. HOW?
1) Remove seats and carpet and store? Then replace with say a Black used interior for daily driving.
2) Then I got to thinking, if I'm saving the original to protect and put back in the car maybe one day if I sell, then why go with the typical "Black"?
Why not Bright red or Bright Blue or maybe Bright Yellow, changing the carpet and buying core seats and having recovered. All the Ivory trim pieces that can't be bought in the desired color I can just use black.
I want it to look very professional and upscale.
What do you all suggest?
19.jpg

attachment.php

2002nsxyellowinteriorpo9.jpg

Last edited:
I think you should either keep the ivory or go with black. You'll probably hurt the resale of your car and narrow the market if you go to something that wasn't offered as an option. If you don't care about that you might think about going to camel interior as it was offered on later cars.

I kinda wanted an ivory interior 91 but couldn't find a good one..How bout we trade. :wink:

Greg Z said:
Its has never been a daily driver, but now it will be.

The seat cover suggestion is a good one. You should go with that.

Besides, now that your car will be a daily driver, the paint condition (chips, fading, etc) will be more relevant to resale than interior wear (not saying interior wear isn't important; it is, but paint wear lowers value more).

mickeylex said:
The seat cover suggestion is a good one. You should go with that.

Besides, now that your car will be a daily driver, the paint condition (chips, fading, etc) will be more relevant to resale than interior wear (not saying interior wear isn't important; it is, but paint wear lowers value more).
Just as much as the seats if not more so, I'm worried abut the condition of the Ivory carpert.

I am considering covers based on everyone's suggestion but I've never really been a fan of seat covers at all.

I like the orange type-s interior. I wonder if the stock leather can be painted to that colour. If anybody know any paint type to use please tell. Thanks. Sorry for hijacking this thread. :smile:

Do what makes you happy. I know there's a lot of folks concerned about resale value, depreciation, etc. and as a banker I can appreciate that. But, cars are poor investments to start with. Some are better than others (the NSX being one) but you buy an NSX to enjoy.

When I bought mine, I thought I'd garage it and keep it as OEM and clean as possible. Then I got my first ding/scratch. At first I was extremely pissed and then I realized that babying the car was only preserving it for the next owner.

Our NSX is still not driven very often as it is our third car but now I enjoy the hell out of it and don't worry about keeping miles down, etc. If it's a nice Sunday than the roof panel is coming off and I'm going to drive the crap out of it (once the fluids are properly warmed).

Personally, I think the blue or yellow interiors would be horrible on a black car but black on red would be beautiful.

I would think that it would cost an arm and a leg to do that properly unless you could find some way to dye some of your interior pieces but again, do what makes you happy.

Greg Z said:
My Dilema. I have a 91 Black w/Ivory 40K perfect condition car. Its has never been a daily driver, but now it will be. I want to protect this Ivory interior. HOW?
1) Remove seats and carpet and store? Then replace with say a Black used interior for daily driving.
2) Then I got to thinking, if I'm saving the original to protect and put back in the car maybe one day if I sell, then why go with the typical "Black"?
Why not Bright red or Bright Blue or maybe Bright Yellow, changing the carpet and buying core seats and having recovered. All the Ivory trim pieces that can't be bought in the desired color I can just use black.
I want it to look very professional and upscale.
What do you all suggest?
19.jpg

attachment.php

2002nsxyellowinteriorpo9.jpg

BLACK! and Black! *Hot*

I really wanted a B on B when I was looking for mine, that is what my Legend is and I love it. But as soon as I saw my B on camel it just looked very classy and rich. I have seen a gazillion B on Bs and have NEVER regretted getting my B on C.:biggrin:

I vote for red also because of vance's car, I love the red in a black car, it definitely stands out more.

I dunno, if it were me i would just get a really comfy set of seat covers and some of those all-season floor mats (if they make any, i dunno) and just keep it clean... I'd be more afraid of some of those 16yr old plastic parts breaking when I remove them than getting it too dirty to clean up...

MiamiMermaid said:
BLACK! and Black! *Hot*

Ditto.

I'm over Ivory and I am looking for a good set of black seats.
Go black and don't look back! :cool:

-j-

Changing the interior color of your car is not an inexpensive task. I know, I changed mine from Camel to a custom Red/Black scheme.

This involved new carpet kit from Acura in Black. This retails at about $1600.

I needed new switches for the gas cap release, trunk release, etc.. These 3 or 4 little pieces cost me $540 from Acura.

Then there is the cost of getting new seats or getting the seats recovered. I bought some premium leather seat covers on an NSX group buy from Northwest Leathers. These cost about $850 with some custom reverse stitching.

Then there are all the plastic or leather/vinyl trim pieces throughout the interior. These will have to be dyed or replaced.

After all this cost, you will then have a different colored interior that may be a bit difficult to revert back to OEM depending on what you dyed.

I still may have forgotten some costs such as labor etc..but these are just some things for you to think about.

I vote for black. Colored interiors on a black car don't really look that well IMO. I would just get some used black seats and not worry about the carpet. Just don't spill anything.

Go different, Orange :)

Black and Orange :hmm: :D

Jin1976 said:
I like the orange type-s interior. I wonder if the stock leather can be painted to that colour. If anybody know any paint type to use please tell. Thanks. Sorry for hijacking this thread. :smile:

You have to use dye on the leather. Any leather dye will work I suppose. I would assume a lot of prep work would be involved. There is paint that would work on plastic.

Thanks. Since the driver's seat need repairing might as well paint the leather.
Hal_396 said:
You have to use dye on the leather. Any leather dye will work I suppose. I would assume a lot of prep work would be involved. There is paint that would work on plastic.

Back