• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jealousy

It's funny. I've owned a lot of sporty cars. Vettes, Porsches and now I've owned two NSXs.

I've never had any "weird" jealosy incident until I got an NSX.

My wife and I went to the local bistro for dinner. We frequent this one place in our area and if I'm taking the Vette or the NSX, it's usually the one place that we'll go to eat because they have a nice large parking lot. I can keep an eye on my car while we eat and still park it out of the way of the "normal" cars. I say this not to be elitist, but as you guys know "normal" car owners typically slam their doors into your car.

Anyway, we finish eating and as I approach the car I notice there's a little business card sized piece of paper under the wiper blade.

It reads (something like)...

Big fancy car, little di*k.

It was a silly stupid thing, but to actually think that someone took the time to write that and ran the risk of slipping it under my wiper blade, well it just annoyed me.

Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk

This doesn't quite fit under this heading but when I had my previous NSX ('91 Red) I came out of a restaurant with my wife and there was a piece of paper under the windshield wiper. It turns out it was a map to a party the following weekend and written on the bottom was "I have to meet you!, Heather"

My wife quickly confiscated the note and destroyed it, if only I could of memorized the address quicker! I am sure that Heather was beautiful though!

Yeah, we all have stories...

What I have learned from such "incidents" is that alcohol is involved most of the time. Trying to outwit a drunk is dangerous business. The adage, "better to run away to play another day" is the rule for these situations.

I would expect, given the downturn in the economy, $3 gas, power blackouts, layoffs, etc., that road rage may become an even greater problem. My advice, "Be careful out there!"

had to kick my 2 cents, Having moved from my NSX to the 993 I have noticed that these "incidents" actually occur less. I think that most average(non-car) guys see the NSX and think Ferrari (I actually got a written warning from a securuty gaurd who wrote "Black Ferrari"). Then the logic degrades to something like this "nice Ferrari, those are expensive, the guy driving it must be rich, I'm not rich, I don;t like this guy.... so maybe I should f with him!" On my car I had Honda badging, this is worse the logic continues "his Ferrari has honda badges, does this guy think I'm dumb enough to believe that car is a Honda! What a jerk, maybe I should f with him.." Finnaly the only other possible logic "nice car, looks fast, mine isn't that fast, but I can cut him off/swerve in front/shoot dirty looks/walk on his interior ect...
Anyway you slice its part of driving a nice car. Ultimatly not worth the blood pressure increase to even get aggitated! (except in that walk over the interior, I'd kill that guy too!)

Having moved from my NSX to the 993 I have noticed that these "incidents" actually occur less.

Yeah, but you're stuck driving a 993 - decidedly NOT an NSX, not even close. You could achieve the same result by trading in your NSX for a Saturn...
biggrin.gif

Almost all the "incidents" I get into with the NSX are positive. i.e. people walking around the car in circles in the parking lot, strangers coming up to talk with me, or here's the best one: having my car's picture taken MULTIPLE times by a pedestrian as I'm sitting at a stop light. Even as I drove off, he continued taking pictures!

However, in the 6 months I've own my car, I've had one bad incident. On a brief vacation to Whistler, BC (Canada) I parked the my car right outside a local pub at which I was attending a concert. It was a stupid thing to do, but I couldn't figure out anywhere better to park so I just did it. To make the car less obvious, I put the car cover on it.

When I came back several hours later, I found my car cover partially torn off and what appeared to be beer running all over the back of the car. Panic set in for a second while I looked for scratches and glass from a broken beer bottle. Luckily, I found none. Welcome to Canada!

Yeah, but you're stuck driving a 993 - decidedly NOT an NSX, not even close. You could achieve the same result by trading in your NSX for a Saturn...

Thats the funniest thing I've ever read. STUCK in a Porsche 933! Did you know that the 911 was one of Honda's benchmarks? Of course that was the pre-993 911.(Porsche actually changes their cars) In many ways the Porsche is superior to the NSX, and in others the NSX is superior to the 993. If your one-track obbsession with the NSX blinds you from seeing the merits of any other car, simply because its not an NSX, I won't even try to argue. I'll just hope your comparison of my Porsche 993 to a Saturn was simply a mis-directed joke.

aaron,
Lighten Up!
Now that you've been a member for what? 2 days? you'll have to remember that "
biggrin.gif
" = "Having Fun". I suggest you learn to have some.
I'm pretty sure that's what nsxtasy meant when he stuck it at the end of his post.

p.s. Thanks for the Porsche history lesson.

Okay... I am still waiting for some smart engineer to come up with a little digital video cammera that watches my car from inside while I'm parked. How hard could that be?

I would really love to show up at some kids house and explain to his dad that he just keyed my $80k car. We could both take turns choking the little bastered.

Was I kidding? Of course. We're here to have fun, remember?

With regards to Aaron's response (and its typical newbie presumptuousness) - Is my devotion to the NSX blind? Nope. I admire the Ferrari F355, which I've driven. It's similar to the NSX in many ways - better in some, not as good in others. And I assume the 360 Modena and the current 911 twin turbo are superior to the NSX in many ways (perhaps not all, but many), based on what I've read about them, although I haven't driven either one.

However, I've driven a 993. There are a LOT of things about it that are either poorly designed or poorly executed or just damn strange. It's not a bad car, but I consider it a significant step down from the NSX and I would never want to own one. You can read the complete description of everything I liked and didn't like about it at http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000800.html (I figured I'd post that link before the Forums Nazi did.)

I'm glad Aaron is happy with his. Now, if he could just get past the German stereotype and lighten up a bit...
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Big fancy car, little di*k.

next time leave them a card that says small plain car, big pr*ck.

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 20 April 2001).]

Originally posted by aaron:
....Did you know that the 911 was one of Honda's benchmarks? Of course that was the pre-993 911.(Porsche actually changes their cars) In many ways the Porsche is superior to the NSX, and in others the NSX is superior to the 993.

Aaron, first of all, welcome. Now, come on - I am not sure if p-car discussion forums are snobby and very serious (as you might expect
biggrin.gif
) ), but the NSXPrime forum enjoys insightful conversation with a degree of levity.

Your right, the 911 was one of many cars in honda's sights when designing the NSX. Obviously Honda did a good job, as 10 years later 996 has barely caught up with the NSX.

Porsche changes their cars? Come on... a 1975 911 looks A LOT and performs A LOT like a 1995 993, not much changed in 20 years. Oh, I forgot about the retractable wing, huge advance...

Porsche is superior in many ways? I dont have blinders on, but I dont see too many ways. Stock to stock, the NSX is superior to the 993 and pretty equal to a 996. I have only had my NSX for ~1 year, and the car I almost bought was a 996, so I think I am objective.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
You can read the complete description of everything I liked and didn't like about it athttp://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000800.htmlhttp://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000800.html

I have a comment in there under '98 NSX-T (the username was too cumbersome to type in and once I talked more with you guys I did not care about being anonymous, so I changed usernames.) As time has passed since the above thread, I have many more reference points with the same 993 I talk about above. Much to the dismay of the 993 owner, he has many reference points with me also. So many, in fact, he is purchasing a supercharger in a feeble attempt to level the playing field - the NSX still handles better - damn oversteer. BTW, my X is normally aspirated.

I was at Thunderhill Tuesday and there were 2 993’s there. Neither could keep up and were passed a few times. Not sure if this is apples to apples, I may be a better driver, but on the other hand they could easily have been better drivers than me. What would that say?

With all that said, the 993 is a fine car that is fun to drive.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:

biggrin.gif

Come on! I know Aaron very well, and I can assure you that he was just providing useful information as he always does without the thought of provoking anyone. Nsxtasy, what are you trying to prove by instigating him with that comment? Let's all remember that our NSX's are Honda's, and because of the snobby attitudes in the USA, Honda chose to market our cars as an Acura. Also, if Aaron did trade in his 993 for a Saturn, I'd bet that he could out drive any of us on any track in that same Saturn. I think that everyone needs to settle down a bit and not jump down peoples throats. I thought that this forum was different than other forums, but maybe I'm wrong.

"Can't we all be friends"-you know who.

Originally posted by NSXocto:
Okay... I am still waiting for some smart engineer to come up with a little digital video cammera that watches my car from inside while I'm parked. How hard could that be?
www.toade.com - look for the "Toad eye" (mentions it but doesn't give any details - bad website!). It's a digital camera which takes pics when the alarm is going off & stores them in a "black box". You then hook up your laptop and download the pics of the perp
wink.gif

Hugo

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
Hey Rob., 'F' you!!!!!!! and you're friend too...
biggrin.gif

Thanks Todd!! I guess that I misunderstood the smile as an "in your face" comment. My bad.

biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Dr.Lane:
Thanks Todd!! I guess that I misunderstood the smile as an "in your face" comment. My bad.

biggrin.gif

Gee is the market really effecting everyone that much. I had some guy say to me "I guess you'll be selling that with the market down" (as he was getting into his lexus). I said no only if my son doesn't get a scholarship or financial aid.
biggrin.gif
See read read J
biggrin.gif
ke

------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now and find it very entertaining. This thread has prompted me to actually get an id and comment.

I had a 97 NSX-T which I traded in for a 99 996. Since then, I've also had a 00 996 (with the slight hp increase) and a 01 996. I recently went back to a 98 NSX-T...because I like the rarity of the car and the looks. There are Porsches everywhere you turn. However, I do believe Porsche has many merits which cannot be ignored. (primarily for "unprofessional" drivers like myself) For one, the handling in a 996 (IMHO) is at least as good as an NSX. I was less timid in a 90mph turn in the 996 than I am in the NSX (again, maybe b/c I'm not that great of a driver). And PSM is a much more advanced form of traction control than the TCS in the NSX. I accidently swung out the tail of the NSX 180 degrees turning right at a stop sign. The TCS did little to compensate for the slightly wet road. I couldn't force the 996 to slip at all with PSM on. As I said, I sold my 996 for another NSX so clearly I think the NSX is an overall better package. But give credit where credit is due. Thanks. Oh and notice the smily face at the end of this message.

Originally posted by WeakestLink:
And PSM is a much more advanced form of traction control than the TCS in the NSX.

I think you are right here. In this case I feel a bit sorry for the Porsche designers because there are in such a catch-22. All they have heard for years is, great car, but too much oversteer. Now they develop this great computer system and the knock on the car is they "made it too tame" and "took away the personality." oh well....

------------------
Justin
'98 NSX-T Blk/Blk
· Comptech headers / exhaust / airbox
· Dali Racing / Brembo big brake kit
· Koni adjustable suspension w/Comptech springs and sway bars
· Volk TE-37 17/18” wheels
· Wings West side skirts and rear spats

Well, having owned 4 Porsches, couple of points:

a) While I personally like the NSX much better, it'd be silly to put a P-car down. At least not unless you've owned one, they are great.

b) Of my P-cars the 993 was by far the funnest! My plain 996, without any TCS-like features, was still much "tamer" and mild that any of them. Kind of lost its spirit. Nothing to do with electronics.

Miss the 993, but not anywhere near enough to give up the NSX for it.

To be sure, road rage can be very scary.

I remember last summer when driving home from the track on Memorial Day, there was a lot of traffic on the highways. I was in the left lane of a two lane highway doing 80mph, which was the current traffic flow; slow cars stayed to the right, and the faster cars were on the left...normal deal.

I noticed a HUGE black SUV several cars back that was weaving in and out between the lanes; turned out to be a Suburban. The Suburban finally got behind me, and going 80mph, it was no more than 2 feet from my bumper! It is a very disconcerting sight in the rear view mirror of an NSX to see something as big as a Suburban that close to your rear end at 80mph, let alone any speed. I tapped my brake light a few times and waved at the guy to slow down out the window. Instead of backing off, he honks and flashes his high-beams at me and comes closer. I can't move over, because of traffic, and I can't go any faster for the same reason. This guy can see clear over me from his high-chair in the Suburban and notice that there is traffic right in front of me and that I can't speed up. The honking and flashing of high-beams goes on for about 5 minutes...and I get pissed.

So I did something stupid. When the traffic ahead of me cleared up, I floored it and went up to 100mph, and then slammed the shit out of my brakes and took it down to 70mph in a hurry, and then got back on the gas right away. I admit, this was stupid, because the Suburban took off after me, and you can imagine that these SUV's can't stop for shit...he must have gotten within a foot of me, and if I hadn't floored it again, he would have ping-ponged me into the next time zone. Like I said, stupid move on my part.

Anyhow, he gets pissed, and the horns and lights and hand gestures start blazing from behind me. I get off at the next exit, which happens to be a rest stop. This guy swerves into the right lane and nearly wipes someone else off the road to follow me into the rest stop...and he is hauling ass into the rest stop at 60mph. I can tell he is going to either beat the shit out of me, or pull out a shotgun and waste my *ss in the parking lot...so I say, "Screw this..." and get the hell right back onto the highway.

He follows me back onto the highway, but I got enough of a headstart on the on-ramp, and I was flooring it to get away, that I blended into traffic far enough ahead of him that I think he decided to hang up the shotgun and let me go.

Andie

[This message has been edited by weiku (edited 22 April 2001).]

Oh man! You guys think you have it bad.. I can't take my car anywhere!
frown.gif
I get things thrown at *ME* my car, people yelling at me, flipping me off, I've had my car keyed FOUR times now, people drive slow on freeways just to fuck with me! They swerve into me, drive with their brights on behind me, and change lanes with me to keep em on me.. It's annoying as hell!

Like you said though, most of the people I meet are nice, thumbs up and ask question. But it's the 2% of people that make me think five times before I take my car out for a drive.
frown.gif

JusSumDiabloGi.jpg

[This message has been edited by JusSumDiabloGi (edited 23 April 2001).]

Originally posted by JusSumDiabloGi:
....I get things thrown at *ME* my car, people yelling at me, flipping me off, I've had my car keyed FOUR times now, people drive slow on freeways just to fuck with me! They swerve into me, drive with their brights on behind me, and change lanes with me to keep em on me..
JusSumDiabloGi.jpg

Reading this thread also made me think everyone should take counter measures...

First donate cash to the local HWP, sheriff and put a sticker of your association with them on your car where it's VISIBLE. This also potentially helps if you get pulled over for stretching the legs of your car.

A tactic I've used with crazies is to hold my cell phone out the window for the idiot to see. I then dial 911 and give them the plate #, make and color of the car along with the location and direction. When they ask me what the emergency is and I tell them it's either a drunk driver or some one running from police is on the road and they're going to kill some one in a hurry. I just tell them the truth, someone threw something, swerving, jesters like they’re going to car jack me, etc. They ask me for my name and cell phone and I give it because they already know it (caller id as that’s how they validate it’s not a prank). Anytime I’ve done this within 2 minutes they’re on the scene. I’ve never had them call me back or require anything from me after I hang up. Two times the cops have pulled the idiot over while he was giving me sh*t. I suspect the HWP knows who I am which is why I usually drive near the speed limit on the main highways with my K40 turned all the way on.

I’ve also thought about keeping a flashing blue light handy (I think red might be illegal). When trouble starts to happen I think I’d pull it out and put it on top of the roof. Whether people have a clue or not they’re going to hesitate screwing with you long enough for you to get away.

------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

Back