• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jinks engine build thread

Engine building takes time. Even the best builders will fall behind schedule so give them their space. You rather get things done right then them miss something and then the fingers game point and you're out another bill.

Just be thankful you have a good company doing the work, but still plan on it moving very slowly, going over budget, and also over deadline. It's the nature of the beast but the outcome is rewarding.

Oh I am very thankful to live near Shad's shop and I am trying to be patient but it is hard.The bored block is actually one of Kip's racing spares. That dude has motors just sitting around waiting up in the steel as full assemblies. I hope he agrees to swap it for my core if I do not sleeve my block.

I have to keep telling myself that I own an nsx and that when it returns it will be a bad mo-fo....

Please let me know if you decide to go turbo. Hope we can catch up before you leave for FL. Good luck.

Please let me know if you decide to go turbo. Hope we can catch up before you leave for FL. Good luck.
Will do. I will be moving to Fort Lauderdale in the fall. However, I decided to stay blown instead of boosted. I will be going Aem ems version 2 though due to no air limitations. But we shall see because the car is due to smog in October so if I am not gone by then, it has to run the fic.

Will do. I will be moving to Fort Lauderdale in the fall. However, I decided to stay blown instead of boosted. I will be going Aem ems version 2 though due to no air limitations. But we shall see because the car is due to smog in October so if I am not gone by then, it has to run the fic.

Why go with aem series 2 when infinity is only a few hundred more?

Good question. I spoke to my tuner about them both. He recommends the series 2 as he has tuned both. He prefers the series 2 over the infinity. The built in oxygen sensors is a nice feature of the infinity though.

No new updates.:mad: Shad is busy and we are still waiting for the donor block to pass inspection from the machine shop.
But, I have an ace in the hole. This engine rebuild might not cost nearly as much as I thought, like 10k+ less. More details later...

Well, the valve covers look awesome. Glad I didn't go wrinkle played out red.:biggrin:
Still waiting for the machine shop to finish the block. These are some pics of the disassembly. I am currently working with my insurance company to claim some or all of the motor costs. Yes that's right my insurance company might pay for it. Fingers crossed.... Either way, cash is on hand and I just want my damn car back. 3 months already sheesh! Depression is sinking in.

IMG_0291.jpgIMG_0294.jpgIMG_0292.jpg

Any update?

How did the insurance claim go? I've never heard of a company letting you claim a blown motor. If they allowed it, what company do you have?!

Any update?

How did the insurance claim go? I've never heard of a company letting you claim a blown motor. If they allowed it, what company do you have?!

I am still waiting to hear back. As long as you can prove a hydrolocked motor, they say it may be covered. I have Safeco a division of Liberty Mutual. I should know any day now as Shad gave them the damaged block and bent rods for their mechanic to inspect.

On the motor I finally have a good block and the machine shop is waiting for the custom ring and piston sizes to come in.
This has taken far longer than I ever expected but with dwindling c motors it's only natural.

Exciting story and good luck with the engine build. Supercharged with a stronger engine will be nice. I've used aem v2 and now on infinity, it's so much faster and more complicated but it's a huge leap forward. Aem v2 is the simple solution.

message me when you get down here. I'm in the same area!

Well the insurance claim got denied. The mechanic said the parts show signs of head gasket failure. Oh well, was worth a try. So we are still staying the course. Rings are in and pistons should be in soon [MENTION=25813]Soundeffects[/MENTION] yeah I would like to meet when down there. I need to know who the good mechanics and tuners are in town. Thanks! The house hits the mls on the third and our neighbors house just got 50k over asking price and sold in two weeks. So I'll definitely be coming to FTL in the early fall.

Good luck with the move. When you get all settled in we should arrange a gtg to welcome you to S. Fla.
Thanks. I grew up in Tampa bay. I miss being home... But time to live on the Atlantic side. Currently I am looking in the bayview area in Fort Lauderdale.

I actually had a long discussion about sleeving the block with Shad. However, for what I want the car to do, "street nsx" versus building an all out monster that will still get it's ass handed to by a lightly modified gtr or 911 turbo does not make sense to me at all. It seems as though when you go over 450 hp, all you're doing is shifting, losing traction, hitting the rev limiter, and spinning bearings.

This engine build has costed me a small fortune and I wish to take it no further. I am a happy camper just driving it. Even when it had 340 whp. If I want more power, I am going to buy another car....I miss having the car. I have a pile of new oem parts sitting waiting for when she comes back. No more engine builds, no more boost, no more garage made parts.

Last edited:
Makes sense. I guess I was thinking sleeving back to stock bore and keeping the blower. No need to retune or worry, but I get where you are coming from.

I'm keeping the blower and running high boost. But on a built motor. I just wanna stay 425-400 hp and that is about it. Maybe some big brakes, but that'll be the last thing for it. Then I think I'll be buying something new. But I'll keep the nsx.
By saying no more boost, I meant no more upping the boost.:biggrin:

Last edited:
It's been a wild ride. It still isn't over yet too. Still waiting to pick up my car. I cannot wait to drive it. We are going on month 5 of this build.

I recognize that silver 05 in the pics..................sad story right there too..............

I recognize that silver 05 in the pics..................sad story right there too..............
Yeah bro. Good thing a ctsc ditches those dumb ass butterflies.:biggrin:

my neck hurts from looking at those pics :D
Yeah it is weird cuz they open normally in my iPad but then crooked when posted?

FYI, don't mind the dirty ass subframe, trans case, and block. Everything will be pressure washed clean. I will run the fic first. Then, when I get to Florida I am going to have it tuned on probably an infinity or ems 2. Talking to you, [MENTION=20915]RYU[/MENTION]. Lol...

Back