• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jinks engine build thread

That would have been so clutch man. Sorry to hear but that yellow does look dope. Put some black acura stickers.
I'm doing carbon fiber coil pack covers to match.

Update: All parts are now in the machine shop and the block is bored and honed. Things should start getting underway now. Since I have sold my house in California and bought a flashy new house in Fort Lauderdale I will be scrapping the fic and going full stand alone Aem series 2 with dual widebands. Infinity series doesn't justify the cost so I will go series 2.
Just looking to get my car back at this point. I miss driving it.

I'm doing carbon fiber coil pack covers to match.

I don't know who's making those coil pack covers but it's actually a very complex part. I mention this because it's not just a cover. There's recessed channels underneath that fit the oem rubber gaskets that keep the coils dry and from misfiring. Without the gasket recession there's no way really other then I guess some window foam from Home Depot to seal it. We already have issues with the water getting in from the rear window garnish. Just be careful since that's something that stopped me from making them. And also the fact I wanted aluminum ones.

I don't know who's making those coil pack covers but it's actually a very complex part. I mention this because it's not just a cover. There's recessed channels underneath that fit the oem rubber gaskets that keep the coils dry and from misfiring. Without the gasket recession there's no way really other then I guess some window foam from Home Depot to seal it. We already have issues with the water getting in from the rear window garnish. Just be careful since that's something that stopped me from making them. And also the fact I wanted aluminum ones.
I cannot find anyone who makes them. I was going to have them wrapped but not sure if they will hold up to the heat. My current ones are painted silver. I'm not sure that will go with yellow. Maybe I will paint them black if a cf wrap won't hold up.

I cannot find anyone who makes them. I was going to have them wrapped but not sure if they will hold up to the heat. My current ones are painted silver. I'm not sure that will go with yellow. Maybe I will paint them black if a cf wrap won't hold up.

Yeah it looks like an easy part but the recessions make it go from easy to hard fast.

Wrapping them will not last. Like interior parts they will eventually fail. The bonds will break and the carbon will lift and ripple over time. You can't chemically bond to plastic and with two different thermal properties with heating and cooling it'll fail fairly quick. They won't pop off but just be aware that when you take the covers off for service they won't be the same.

I always tended to over tighten the bolts holding the covers on so the plastic cracks or maybe it's due to the heat since plastic over time becomes more brittle and weakens. That's why I wanted aluminum ones.

Yeah it looks like an easy part but the recessions make it go from easy to hard fast.

Wrapping them will not last. Like interior parts they will eventually fail. The bonds will break and the carbon will lift and ripple over time. You can't chemically bond to plastic and with two different thermal properties with heating and cooling it'll fail fairly quick. They won't pop off but just be aware that when you take the covers off for service they won't be the same.

I always tended to over tighten the bolts holding the covers on so the plastic cracks or maybe it's due to the heat since plastic over time becomes more brittle and weakens. That's why I wanted aluminum ones.

So when will you make me some carbon fiber covers that can be riveted on to the oem ones?:biggrin:

The motor is finally finished and is now being reassembled.
E47B22C1-6E6E-43DA-998A-C2F29D34EB88.jpg62ADBE92-F7CE-45C4-9569-109E458476B8.jpg

nice, congrats! I can't tell.. did you get it sleeved?

maybe just a mild bore and slightly oversized pistons to compensate?

would love to hear more about your rebuild specs!

No sleeves. Just a bore to clean up the walls. I think it’s somewhere between 3.1 and 3.2 all custom sized bore, pistons, and rings. I’ll probably know more when I hear from Shad later today. The block was a used one due to me seriously fucking up the original.😁

You could have just sleeved it to fix it right? Or did it effect other dimensions.
Yes, I could have sleeved it. But I did not want to. I opted to buy a used block instead.

Oh man you're not even in Cali anymore? Shouldn't your engine be done by now?
You’re telling me! I will fly back to inspect/drive, then have it shipped home to FTL.

Everything should be finished in the next 3 to 4 weeks. I think I will actually be adding the aftercooler to keep the engine temps low in the 88 degree year round South Florida weather. The additional price was a deal so why not protect the investment? So, a built motor, all new fueling, 10 psi boost, AEM V2, and water cooled intercooler.

Everything should be finished in the next 3 to 4 weeks. I think I will actually be adding the aftercooler to keep the engine temps low in the 88 degree year round South Florida weather. The additional price was a deal so why not protect the investment? So, a built motor, all new fueling, 10 psi boost, AEM V2, and water cooled intercooler.
Lmk if you need help with shakedown [emoji41]

Back