• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just completed painting my car

Not my NSX but my 300ZX. Yolanda will kill me if I mess with the NSX!:eek:
Painted at home in about 12 weeks and as of now, it will be in the Wekfest Car Show.

IMG_3332.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

IMG_3340-1.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg
IMG_3333-1.jpg

IMG_3333-1.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3307.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3323.jpg

Looks great Jack. Are you available to paint my bathroom and kitchen after the remodel?:biggrin:

wow good job! looks clean!

Wow Jack, as usual, you do great work!!! But what to you call it, a 300ZX ZR1??? :tongue:

Not my NSX but my 300ZX. Yolanda will kill me if I mess with the NSX!:eek:
Painted at home in about 12 weeks and as of now, it will be in the Wekfest Car Show.

SNIP...

IMG_3307.jpg

I like it but 12 weeks to do it seems kind of long was this just a weekend type of project?

I like it but 12 weeks to do it seems kind of long was this just a weekend type of project?

Good question.

12-weeks in a body shop would seem like a long time. However one guy working when ever he could squeeze the time in, with not ideal conditions is breakneck speed, especially if your trying to make it look like a pro did it.

Once you've summoned up the courage to do it, I'd spend almost every free moment that I had energy, working on it. Dozens and dozens of pain staking hours.

Imagine::rolleyes:
-------------------------------------------------------------
Disassembling all the removable body parts.

Sanding by hand 2 to 3 times the entire body. No machines on the composite parts.

Fix any defects in the panels.

Build a makeshift spray booth.

Prime every part 1 to 2 times.

Sand the primer without going through.

Spray the base colors.

Mask, mask and when your through, mask some more.

Spray the clear.

If something goes wrong (and it always does) bugs,a hair or dirt lands in the wet clear, it's start all over again sanding and painting.

Color sand the clear 3-times with 1500/2000/2500 grit paper wet until there is no orange peel.

Buff and polish as many as a dozen times to get a perfect finish.

Then there are the accessories, wheel centers and small pieces.

Lastly, finally something enjoyable, reassembly and trying not to damage something you've toiled over.:smile:

Then something you've never done. Clear bra all the areas susceptible to flying rocks.

I think 6-months to a year or more would be the norm for a do-it yourselfer. Designing, building the parts from scratch and painting the first time took just about a year in '05.
But that's another story!

Jack

You have my respect Jack! :tongue:

Good question.

12-weeks in a body shop would seem like a long time. However one guy working when ever he could squeeze the time in, with not ideal conditions is breakneck speed, especially if your trying to make it look like a pro did it.

Once you've summoned up the courage to do it, I'd spend almost every free moment that I had energy, working on it. Dozens and dozens of pain staking hours.

Imagine::rolleyes:
-------------------------------------------------------------
Disassembling all the removable body parts.

Sanding by hand 2 to 3 times the entire body. No machines on the composite parts.

Fix any defects in the panels.

Build a makeshift spray booth.

Prime every part 1 to 2 times.

Sand the primer without going through.

Spray the base colors.

Mask, mask and when your through, mask some more.

Spray the clear.

If something goes wrong (and it always does) bugs,a hair or dirt lands in the wet clear, it's start all over again sanding and painting.

Color sand the clear 3-times with 1500/2000/2500 grit paper wet until there is no orange peel.

Buff and polish as many as a dozen times to get a perfect finish.

Then there are the accessories, wheel centers and small pieces.

Lastly, finally something enjoyable, reassembly and trying not to damage something you've toiled over.:smile:

Then something you've never done. Clear bra all the areas susceptible to flying rocks.

I think 6-months to a year or more would be the norm for a do-it yourselfer. Designing, building the parts from scratch and painting the first time took just about a year in '05.
But that's another story!

Jack

I'm fortunate enough to have seen Jacks/Yolanda's 300ZX in person and I can tell you that the pictures Jack posted does not do it justice. I am sure that all of you have heard the phrase "Jack of all Trades", well in Wikipedia you will see a pic of Jack next to it. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Maybe, Jack will share some of his projects which, BTW are not small projects. I happen to be there, when Jack started the project and have dropped by over the 12 weeks to see the progress of the 300ZX. I can say the new colors bring out the detail of the body kit that wasn't apparent when the 300ZX was all black. Excellent job Jack!!!

I hope you don't mind that I say this Jack, but for those who don't know, the body kit on the 300ZX is a one off, made/fabricated by Jack. IMHO, this 300ZX deserves to be in a magazine.

Mike

Simply Amazing! :eek: I didn't even know you could paint cars yourself at home! What type of paint was used?

I'm fortunate enough to have seen Jacks/Yolanda's 300ZX in person and I can tell you that the pictures Jack posted does not do it justice. I am sure that all of you have heard the phrase "Jack of all Trades", well in Wikipedia you will see a pic of Jack next to it. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Maybe, Jack will share some of his projects which, BTW are not small projects. I happen to be there, when Jack started the project and have dropped by over the 12 weeks to see the progress of the 300ZX. I can say the new colors bring out the detail of the body kit that wasn't apparent when the 300ZX was all black. Excellent job Jack!!!

I hope you don't mind that I say this Jack, but for those who don't know, the body kit on the 300ZX is a one off, made/fabricated by Jack. IMHO, this 300ZX deserves to be in a magazine.

Mike

I was gonna post up again but you beat me to it..I will be shooting for a feature in Import tuner and think it wouldn't be a bad Idea for Jack to bring that beast to the shoot, can't promise anything but if it's done done we might get lucky... the shoot will be at day break on 2/27 the day before wekfest... lemme know if you are willing to risk it and come out jack.

Mike
Mike Cs honest opinions, keen eye and even keener sense of what sucks in the paint design was invaluable. Thanks Mike, your other eye ain't bad either!

Simply Amazing! :eek: I didn't even know you could paint cars yourself at home! What type of paint was used?
Ben, only for those who are Super Human.:wink:(see below)

uhh us normal humans can't. Jack's super human. I think you skipped the part where he fabed a complete body kit :eek:
"determination is a powerful force"

I think!

Back