• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for a LED kit like this.. Anyone got one?

I've been seeing tons of LED kits out there, but I was never that found of the single dot look of the typical LED strips. I didn't like how you could see each individual LED light bulb.

I've asked a few times on other threads, but most of the time my inquiries go unanswered. So I'll just throw it out there. Are there any kits that have the nice "uniform bar of light" look? As in these pictures of the Audi A1 & A6? Sort of "Tron" looking. ..

auda1_cpt_paris_11_cd_gallery.jpg

5.jpg

5481813936_e702b01ff2.jpg

audi_a1_headlamp_design.jpg

Audi-A6-LED-Headlight.jpg

I've seen this also on some of the new Porsches and new Ford cars.

I'd ultimately like the look to be similar to this NSX, except I want the light to be nice and uniform like in the Audis:
DSC03153.jpg

Anything out there??

where would you like to mount it

Either in the same place as the red NSX above or in somewhere close or integrated into the bumper lenses..

Wouldn't you be able to easily make that DIY style the same way DIY angle eyes (BMW) are made.

iirc i've seen them made out of simple plastic tubing it worked effectively.

BMWE30AngelEyesWHITE2.jpg

I was looking at those too, but I couldn't tell the material.. Some of them are CCFL which I think means they're made out of glass.. Other ones I've seen are made of molded plastic so they retain the circular shape...

If you find some of the plastic tubing ones, send me a link..

I was looking at those too, but I couldn't tell the material.. Some of them are CCFL which I think means they're made out of glass.. Other ones I've seen are made of molded plastic so they retain the circular shape...

If you find some of the plastic tubing ones, send me a link..
I heard they used those clear plastic turning rods from window blinders, heated and bent.

Think I found a solution if I want to make it myself... I could do this to mold it around the factory bumper lenses...
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0JSMQk61xQ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The new 2012 Audi A5/S5 with Audi's "wave" design LEDs
10408561331727679880.jpg

Anyone know where I can get the DC powerable LEDs that are bright enough to do that DIY?

Hello, contact rick - S4Play at euroboutique.com. He has some and they are very good quality. I have the level 2 version and I am very happy with them. Very high quality.

Cheers.
JRNSX

I'm working on a set for myself that are closer to that. I tried the whole acrylic rod and found the results inconsistent (as far as matching left and right and light output staying uniform for that length).

I wound up going this way.

DSC03806.jpg

It still uses individual LEDs but many more at a much tighter spacing. I should have more pics of them soon.

Hello, contact rick - S4Play at euroboutique.com. He has some and they are very good quality. I have the level 2 version and I am very happy with them. Very high quality.

Cheers.
JRNSX

The ones that S4Play sells are exactly what I DON'T want... they have all the individual LEDs... What I want is a nice uniform bar of light, like the photos of the Audis.

The ones that S4Play sells are exactly what I DON'T want... they have all the individual LEDs... What I want is a nice uniform bar of light, like the photos of the Audis.

What you are looking for is unique and definitely in the minority....(not saying it's not popular but "most" people like the individual LED light definition.

Going back to your question, there is a way to make this type of light but requires something custom built in our plastics machine. Essentially you need a plastic bar that bends and refracts light to give that uniform Tron type look. It can be achieved but would be a one-off build for you.

9/10 car owners want the LED defined look. What you are asking for is only available in a custom build type. PM me if you want to pursue this.

btw using individual non-specific LED's are PRONE to failure because it's not a matter of "IF" but a matter of "WHEN" those led's crack you end up with a big headache as some of you found out.

thanks jrnsx, our website is at www.euroboutique.us :)

rick

Last edited:
I completely agree with you Hapa88. The generic aftermarket "Honda Civic" add on is the look I want to avoid. Although I must say I do like alot of your custom work s4play (in light 02+ and s2k work).

I think generalizing "9/10 car owners want" is a bit self serving to say when you are trying to resell the product. Do you only know 10 car owners? I dobut you know 90% of all NSX owners let alone car owners. Perhaps you are basing it off of 90% of the people who contact your shop? Even so, you do not offer the product being requested so why would the people who want it contact you?

Lastly I'm not sure what a "non-specific LED" is and why it would be more prone to "cracking" then a "specific LED". Most led chips are made by just 3 companies, are you referring to them burning out or are they physically cracking? Neither would be an issue with the led but with their installation.

All electronics (which includes LEDs) will fail at some point. Just chose ones with the lowest failure rate that match the specs you need, unless you are implying you use "magic LEDs" that will never fail?

What you are looking for is unique and definitely in the minority....(not saying it's not popular but "most" people like the individual LED light definition.

Thanks! I like to be in the minority. However, I don't know if most people would like the individual LED light definition if given the choice between the two. Since what I'm looking for is not available on the aftermarket yet, it would be impossible to determine based on sales. My guess is people would pick the uniform design over the individual LED given the choice and all other factors being the same.

Going back to your question, there is a way to make this type of light but requires something custom built in our plastics machine. Essentially you need a plastic bar that bends and refracts light to give that uniform Tron type look. It can be achieved but would be a one-off build for you.
I didn't realize you guys had a custom plastics machine. That's awesome! How come we've never see any products from it?

9/10 car owners want the LED defined look. What you are asking for is only available in a custom build type. PM me if you want to pursue this.
I have no idea where you came up with this... 100% of the LED aftermarket is in the individual LED look. Of course people are going to buy what's available.. I'm suggesting that a company jump ahead of what's hot right now and look into the future of lighting.

My best guess is that individual LEDs are going to be the next Altezza Taillights in the next year or so...
Shoot, Kia is already using them on their 2011 cars, you know that trend isn't going to last..

2011 Kia Sportage
2011_kia_sportage_headlight.jpg

btw using individual non-specific LED's are PRONE to failure because it's not a matter of "IF" but a matter of "WHEN" those led's crack you end up with a big headache as some of you found out.
What are "non-specific LEDs"? ALL electronic devices are prone to failure. In fact ALL electronics devices WILL FAIL eventually. This is exactly true for each LED item you sell on your website.

thanks jrnsx, our website is at www.euroboutique.us :)

rick
Shameless plug :rolleyes:

Audi A1 Light tech
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x9Wuzip50HQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

^Anything looks good on the Lambo ~ NSX requires some more specific work!

There is a way you can build your own using light diffusing film, we have a set of CR-Z headlights here at the shop and this is an option we are exploring.

My initial post is only to inform but remember ANYTHING is possible if you want to throw enough money into the project. Always costs more $$$$ to be the first in anything. For aftermarket it's a lot harder.

Also as the poster here as said, using any light diffusing film will GREATLY decrease the light output to almost the point where it's not visible in the daytime. So always a trade-off....

read more here:
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/do-yourself-articles/5955-project-led-ma-headlight.html

Our current progress:
261976277_photobucket_39261_.jpg

this is the look you want OP right?

5774311474_a59e903904_b.jpg

Back