• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Michelin teams to boycott Indy USGP?

Re: Michelin teams to boycott Indy?

AU_NSX said:
I think that Bridgestone should have been able to supply tyres (at Michelin's expense) to all the teams and then ALL teams would have been equal and the show could go on...
Way off. The suspension, aerodynamic and the tires on a F1 car have to be seen as a unity. That means: A car is build with a given tire specification. If you put Bridgestone tires on a car meant for Michelins it would drive like crap and may even have more safety problems than it had with Michelin tires.

More comments on this case are here .

Of course I'm very sorry for the U.S. spectators and wouldn't be surprised if you never want that circus again in your country. BTW: I will never forget this "race" and date because it was a bad birthday surprise for me :frown:

Re: U S G P

I agree with NSX-Racer the rules are the same for everyone. Some were prepared and some were not. With the information I have, I would still run the race on Michelins, and would have made suspension adjustments, or increased my pit stops to decrease my odds of crashing. Run what you brung, do your best and make improvements for the next race. The only reasons I can see for deviating from this philosophy is if my actions benefited my team in some other way not really related to this event. Maybe the teams were trying to send a message to the FIA… I just don’t think that was the right venue or respectable.

Installing a chicane would have been absurd and unfair to the teams who brought the correct tire. Even if you gave all the points to the Bridgestone teams, a chicane would have been unfair to them. They brought the correct tire meaning most likely a lesser performing tire that could handle the loads of turn 13. If you slow the cars, the Bridgestone teams suddenly have an inferior tire because they wouldn't have needed the compromise for turn 13. Even if the Bridgestone teams won all the points, they would have looked like losers because they would not have outright won the race. The only solution was for the Michelin teams to slow voluntarily to an acceptable speed in turn 13. Nobody stopped them from doing this, but they wouldn't do it for whatever reason. A chicane would have penalized Bridgestone. Slowing in turn 13 would have penalized Michelin. Instead, they "boycott" the race due to their own mistake. Leave it to the French for a move like this.

Maybe I missed a crucial point - way before this weekend!!

I have watched the race for many years - What changed so much that Michellin was not prepared -

To me it seems like the US race was a last minute thought -

F1 better realize that 145,000 fans will not forget (I can only imagine the costly impact to the vendors and near future dollars that would have been spent by the American fans), I have to agree with an earlier statement all in all the American fans where very tame compared to what would have happened in Europe, never mind all the people who sat in anticipation on the couch in front of the 60 inch TV - :smile:

I can remember in last weeks race in Canada they call a wall the "Champions Wall" ( I think?) how come they didn't move it or ask that a chicane be put in place? it seems as dangerous even more considering the wall doesn't move.

For me I am thinking of taking the Michellins off my wifes car and burning them in protest...

I run Bridgestones om my NSX\IS 300 and this will continue....:biggrin:

Just my 2cents worth -

rae said:
I can remember in last weeks race in Canada they call a wall the "Champions Wall" ( I think?) how come they didn't move it ?
It *has* already been moved a bit, was closer to the track in former times - you may now call it "Button wall".

BladesNSX said:
From what I know:

7. I want to smack the Jordan winner that came in third. He jumped for joy as if he actually faught hard for that podium position. You would think the guy won with all the other teams competing. What a Moron. I don't think I could celebrate winning under those circumstances.

You have to remember that he did nothing wrong. The other teams chose no to race. It was still a race to him, since he was racing with his team mate and Minardi only,anyway.A different "class".
He is in a differnt league as the Ferrari or Williams.
He now goes down in F1 history. It is something.

Re: Bar-Honda is a Total Disgrace

vtecNSX1 said:
The whole 1 set of tires rule is just stupid and unsafe in my opinion.
I agree. It is a complete safety issue. Look at Kimi two races ago. How about Ferrari and Michael with two failed tires in one race.
They have to stop and ban this rule.

AU_NSX said:
Who is to blame....

1. Michelin for not providing a safe tyre for their teams
2. FIA for not being a strong enough governing body to amend the rules under such exceptional circumstances
3. Ferrari for being so litigious that the FIA are now scared of ever upsetting them...

Just my 0.02c worth…

Michelin for sure. Peter Winsor was on Dave Despain last night and mentioned that at the open tire test at Indy (the F1 track) a couple of months ago, Michelin and Michelin teams sent two cars - and only two cars - driven by Massa and Anthony Davidson. With the 1-tire rule for 2005 and the oval at Indy having been resurfaced - what were they (Michelin and the 7 teams) thinking?

I personally applaud the FIA for standing firm on the rules - especially given the info above. Michelin and their teams came unprepared - plain and simple. They had to solve their own problem - drive thru pit lane every lap, change tires frequently, drive on the apron thru turn 13, etc. All I heard from the Michelin teams was excuses why they couldn't do these things and that the ONLY resolution was for the FIA to allow the track to be changed. BS that is was the only resolution - it was the only resolution that they wanted to consider.

Also, according to Peter Windsor last night, the Michelin teams were NOT in agreement to give all of the points for positions 1-6 to Bridgestone teams, rather they wanted/expected a full race. They were not going to race for no points.

Also, the FIA released today that they warned Michelin about compromising tire safety for performance after Kimi's tire problem at the European GP.

Given all of the above, the FIA should dock points from the Michelin teams for not participating in the race - they had options other than modifying the track.

JMO.

fannsx said:
You have to remember that he did nothing wrong. The other teams chose no to race. It was still a race to him, since he was racing with his team mate and Minardi only,anyway.A different "class".
He is in a differnt league as the Ferrari or Williams.
He now goes down in F1 history. It is something.

No, your right, he did nothing wrong. It's jut that under the circumstances of the win, the demeanor of the crowd, the fact that none of the presentors came out, and the lack of real competition (since he couldn't possibly beat ferrari and the Minardi's were way behind as always), I just couldn't understand is overzealousness. I could imagine him being very happy for standing on the podium or being in the press room; however, jumping for joy, throwing around the champagne, all during what was a disgrace of a race, all while the other two guys on the podium with him were being very subdued due to all the points I mentioned above, that Jordan guy annoyed me.

I have heard talks of F1 going to a single tire maker for next year. I am curious of Bridgestone will get this contract.

Personally, I would like to see more tire manufacturers. The whole competative market thing. I wonder how much of the technology learned and applied in F1 racing makes it to our street tires?

I am sure Ferrari team is smiling deep down inside for those deserately needed points for the constructor's chamionship. At least the Jordan guy is genuously happy.
I know, the overall situation was an unhappy one. :frown: He could have skipped the jumping around.

I agree with TC's post and Peter Windsor at Wind Tunnel whole heartedly. As well as Ferrari stand on this article.

Ferrari position

The bottom line is Michelin failed and try to blame it on everyone else. What a disgrace. I will never buy a Michelin tires again!!!

FIA realesed a statement and now we have both side of the stories. The notion that Michelin team wil compete without points is totally false.

FIA explanation

Last edited:
Re: U S G P

I watched that race and couldn't believe what I was seeing! The most important thing after driver safety should have been the fans! If the chicane was out, then allow pitstops if necessary and penalize the hell out of the Michelin teams for not being prepared, but DON'T alienate / let down / cheat the fans that payed good money to watch the event! THEY are the reason the sport exists.

My girlfriend's friends planned there vacation over a year in advance to see this, and spent quite a bit to attend. Can't imagine how they're feeling right now :mad:

Its incredible how Michelin and others are trying to blame Ferrari when it was their own failure that caused this problem.

Here's the complete text of the FIA letter:

http://www.formula1.com/news/3209.html

They make a good point regarding THEIR legal liabilities of allowing a track to be changed without following their own processes and rules. Michelin didn't want to take the risk of allowing their teams to use their tires when they felt it would be unsafe, but wanted the FIA to do something that the FIA felt would be unsafe - and then blamed the FIA and Ferrari.

To me, the blame falls on Michelin for screwing up and then on the Michelin teams for not taking any of the alternatives that were within the rules (drive thru pit, change tires frequently, drive slow, etc.). The FIA is faultless, as is Ferrari.

JMO, as always.

The more news that is being released the more I would say if you had to blame anyone, it can only be Michelin. The teams themselves just were stuck and had no option. If it were just a case that the tires were not competitive I can see the argument that the teams should have done something to get the cars able to race. However, if Michelin say's don't race on the tires we provided for you this race because it is dangerous what are you supposed to do? The teams have no choice but to not race unless they are able to used tires that are not dangerous. There is a big difference between a non competitive tire and a dangerous one. In fact, if the tires were dangerous, the FIA themselves shouldn't allow those cars to race anyway. The Michelin teams lost out the most (Aside from the fans) by not racing. They were the teams in the WDC and WCC points race. It can't be political since Red Bull is no longer a GPWC defector and singed to use Ferrari engines and stay in F1. Also, Minardi and Jordon, up until the very last minute stood along side the 7 Michelin teams. The teams had no choice but to pull themselves out of this race. Michelin will have to answer to the teams since they let the teams down. Nobody would have cared if one team pulled their car out of a race if that team thought their car was unsafe to race. The problem is the majority just happen to be on Michelin tires. I can just hear the critics now if all the teams did race and a race incident happend where someone got hurt. They bashed Sato and BAR/Honda at Monaco 2004 when Stato's engine was smoking at the warm up lap and on the starting grid. They said it was obvious his engine was going to let go and it was wrong for BAR/Sato to stay in the race and put the other drivers in danger. Same thing with these tires. It would have been wrong for any team to put the other drivers at risk and/or risk legal criminal action if something did go wrong and someone got injured or died because of a tire failure espeically when Michelin made it public that their tires were unsafe to race at the present condition. Think Frank Williams and the man slaugher case with Ayerton Senna.

The FIA themselves did play some politics at this race by forcing the 7 teams and 2 Bridgestone hold outs to report to the starting grid. They all planned to stay in the garage. The FIA had the meeting with Bernie and the team management and all of a sudden the teams show up at the starting grid for the parade lap. What was said in that meeting to make the 9 teams change their minds and show up on the grid? Whatever it was it probably a major trump card from the FIA. That IMHO was the FIA forcing the teams to show up to make it appear they are leaving the race in protest rather than pulling out of the race before its start like any team should do if they find out they have a dangerous race car.

Let's take a look at it from another angle. If any team wanted to pull out of any race in any series because they themselves felt, or one of their parts suppliers said their part is dangerous to race with nobody would be complaining at all and probably would applaud that team for doing the right thing. The only reason why it because a big deal at Indy was because 7 of the 10 teams happen to be using the defective dangerous part. The reason why it became a bigger fiasco is because the teams were not allowed to simply pull out of the race, but were forced to do the parade lap giving it the illusion that it was a boycott and not simply teams pulling out due to safety concerns.

TC said:
To me, the blame falls on Michelin for screwing up and then on the Michelin teams for not taking any of the alternatives that were within the rules (drive thru pit, change tires frequently, drive slow, etc.). The FIA is faultless, as is Ferrari.

JMO, as always.

IMHO, the teams should be left off the hook. The alternative were not really good realistic alternatives at all. Driving through the pit lane would essentially all but assure those teams would be completely non competitive. Why would any team race at all and put their drivers lives at risk as well and their entir team abnd equipement if it pretty much garanteed them to be non competitive and loose. Just to put on a show? To change tires frequently you have to assume Michelin brought enough tires to asssure all 14 cars could change tires as frequently as needed and complete the race. Most people believe Michelin did not have enough tires to supply all the teams to change 14 cars every 10 laps. You also have to assume that Michelin was correct in their 10 lap estimate before tire failure. What if they were wrong and the some of the tires only lasted 6-7 laps? Would it be sensible to race under that condition if you know the tires will fail eventually but just don't know when? Having the drivers slow down at the specific corner in question also makes no sense. Montoya was punished for a brake check at a practice session in an early event. Would it be sensible to race at full race pace, only to have certain teams slow down 100 kph around the specific teams when 6 other cars are still taking that corner WOT 100+ kph faster? What would happen if the Ferrari was follwing a bunch of Michelin tire teams and they all slowed down by a 100-150 kph to take the corner? Woudn't that be a creating a dangerous race situation? We must also not forget one of the Toyota tire failures that started all this happend in the in field as well, so who is to say that only that one corner was problematic? What if the tires failed on the in field and took out other cars with them? You know, I'm not a race car driver like many here are, but if the tires are dangerous to race it shouldn't be allowed on the track at all. Michelin let the teams down, but the teams did the right thing. I just don't see any other "Safe" way around it.

Chris,

Michelin never said that they could not race at all, they said that they could not run safely at high-speed thru turn 13, hence the request for the chicane. The FIA said that changing the circuit was against the rules and safety processes and therefore the Michelin teams could do any of the following - run at the maximum safe speed thru turn 13 as stated by Michelin, change to a different tire type (and suffer the penalty for doing so), drive thru the pit and avoid turn 13 all together or change tires frequently (and suffer the penalty for doing so).

The FIA never told anyone to race on unsafe equipment, rather they simply refused to change the circuit. The Michelin teams chose to not race rather than take any of the alternatives available to them within the rules.

Basically, they wanted to opportunity to race for points without penalty by having the track modified to suite their limitation. Any of the FIA suggested means for them to race would have given them no chance for any of the top 6 spots (assuming that the Bridgestone cars all finished the race). So they boycotted because they did get their way - and used the "safety" argument as a smokescreen. They had plenty of ways to race safely - just none that would enable them to compete for a victory. So the quit.

All 7 Michelin teams have been called to report to the FIA in 2 weeks - assuming the stink from this will not die down by then, I would guess that the FIA is going to hammer them pretty hard - fines and possibly points. Particularly since Michelin and their 7 teams have done nothing but blame the FIA for this mess.

BladesNSX said:
I have heard talks of F1 going to a single tire maker for next year. I am curious of Bridgestone will get this contract.

Personally, I would like to see more tire manufacturers. The whole competative market thing. I wonder how much of the technology learned and applied in F1 racing makes it to our street tires?

I agree, I rather see nore tire manufactures in F1 rather than just two much less a single provider. If we had more tire manufactures, possible only 2-3 teams would have been on Michelin and only those teams would have had to widthdraw from the USGP. If you have a single tire provider and somthing like this come up again there would be no race at all as it would be cancelled.

By the way, I believe Bridgestone would have gotten the deal even without the Michelin fiasco at the USGP if that 1 tire provider rule went into effect.

Michelin teams to answer for boycott

FIA has summoned all Michelin teams to a hearing June 29 for "performing acts prejudicial to the interests of the competition."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/racing/06/20/bc.sport.motor/

Fines, docked points, or suspensions could result. Considering that BAR-Honda got slapped with a two race suspension for a fuel cell infraction, and the massive economic damage inflicted on the sport yesterday, what's in store for the Michelin teams? Suspending all Michelin teams for even a single race would effectively kill the rest of the season. Nobody wants to see any more 6-car races.

Curiously, nobody's given a reasonable explanation of how Michelin managed to commit such a total screwup.

ChrisK said:
IMHO, the teams should be left off the hook. The alternative were not really good realistic alternatives at all. Driving through the pit lane would essentially all but assure those teams would be completely non competitive. Why would any team race at all and put their drivers lives at risk as well and their entir team abnd equipement if it pretty much garanteed them to be non competitive and loose. Just to put on a show?

No, there weren't good alternatives for the Michelin teams but they have an obligation to compete regardless if they think that their cause for the day is hopeless. Should teams with underpowered engines quit? Or when its a super-hot day and Bridgestone tires aren't worth a damn, should Ferrari just quit? Minardi and Jordan might as well never compete. Perhaps BAR/Honda, with zero points, should call off the rest of the season?

Teams have an obligation to the fans - the people that pay to make F1 a reality. There were 3 points for certain that were up for grabs - and possibly more if any of the 6 Bridgestone cars retired. IMO, the 7 teams displayed bad sportsmanship.

It happens all the time - in all kinds of sports - there are situations where you know that you can't win. Perhaps your star players are all out injured. But you go out and play - and you do your best regardless.

need less BigBrother w/ FIA/FOM

Andrie Hartanto said:
The bottom line is Michelin failed and try to blame it on everyone else. What a disgrace. I will never buy a Michelin tires again!!!

hmmm... I never buy Michelin tires for the very reason they are French and a bit on the elitist/egotistical side (google for press releases of the corp'n). I try to patronize Yokohama as much as I can, and will even go w/ Bridgestone if need be... both being Japanese!

I also avoid Exxon-Mobil at all costs (due to the fall-out from the Exxon Valdez incident and discrepencies in the payout/settlement). I try to patronize Texaco/Chevron, Diamond Shamrock, and other local fuel corporations as much as I can.

Don't get me started on bottled water, lol... grrr!

Back to the topic, the blame lies squarely w/ Michelin for not delivering and being unable to rectify thereafter AND also w/ FIA for not having an alternative protocol for when such contingencies may arise. I really have developed a hardcore abhorrence to FIA & FOM/Ecclestone, such indifference on their parts over a range of matters will ultimately lead to their demise. Sooner or later, every dog has it's day & in this case it'll be a horse, particularly the FIA/FOM breadwinner/pocket-coffer FERRARI. When the prancin' horse starts to fade, it'll be game over for these fatcats (FIA, FOM).

TC said:
Chris,

Michelin never said that they could not race at all, they said that they could not run safely at high-speed thru turn 13, hence the request for the chicane. The FIA said that changing the circuit was against the rules and safety processes and therefore the Michelin teams could do any of the following - run at the maximum safe speed thru turn 13 as stated by Michelin, change to a different tire type (and suffer the penalty for doing so), drive thru the pit and avoid turn 13 all together or change tires frequently (and suffer the penalty for doing so).

That is kind of the point. Michelin said the tires were unsafe given the current track layout. We all know they mean it could not handle the load on turn 13. The chinace would change the track enough by slowing down turn 13 to make the tires safe. Since the FIA held firm to their position to not alter the track, the Michelin tires by default are unsafe to race. I will agree that all the proposals were major compromises and had their flaws, but the chicane was the most reasonable especially because it has been said that the Michelin teams were willing to give up all the post and give them all to Ferrari just to be able to race for the fans. Obviously this is their position on the matter and if it is true, they would have raced for the fans. Either way they would have zero points but at least the show would have gone on with 20 cars on the grid.

To leave it up to the drivers to slow down to a safe speed around turn 13 is asking for trouble. I'll just say this, who are you going to sue when one of the drivers goes a little too fast, around turn 13 to hold position against either the Ferrari or even the other Michelin teams, the tire blows, takes both cars out and one driver is seriously injured or killed? Also slowing down around turn 13 still doesn't address how the Bridgestone running cars will navigate around the other 14 cars that suddenly slowdown to a deemed safe speed at turn 13 only when they are going WOT. I say it again, that is just asking for a race collision at that turn.

Driving through the pit at 60 MPH speed limit would be just a big a race farce as 6 cars on the grid. Someone on another F1 forums also mentioned that the car needs to complete 90% of the race laps to be considered a finsih. Driving throught the pit lane at 60 MPH with one of the longest it not longetst pit lanes on the F1 circuit for 70 laps could put the cars down nearly 20 laps and thus not finish the race anyway. Why as a team would you risk equipement and driver safey at all if you knew ahead of time you probably would not finish the race anyway?

Changing tires often would also be uselsss since they may not even have enough tires to complete the race, and you still run the risk of tire failure before you get the chance to change the tire. How would the Bridgestone runners feel if they were taken out of the race because of a Michelin teams tire blew when they were side by side?

It has been learned that even the tires flown in as the proposed back up tires to be used turned out to be unsafe according to Michelin. Basically, if you believe Michelin the teams were left with nothing.

At least with the chicane which has been reported that all 9 teams inlcuding Bernie Ecclestone were in areement of on Saturday would have saved face for the entire sport. Only Ferrari refused to agree outright, but said they will leave it up too the FIA and abide by their decision. It would not have been outright unfair to the Bridgestone teams since the Michelin teams were willing to forgo all the points to Ferrari and the other Bridgestone teams. No matter what the race results would have been they would have no points and the Bridgestone teams would have earned points. All they wanted to do was race to put on a show safely. Either way they knew the day was screwed for them in terms of competition. So the choice came down to the FIA that held on strong to their position. I'm not saying the FIA were technically wrong since they were within the rules, but what would have been better? What we had this weekend, or a chicane with 20 cars on the grid and all the Michelin teams giving up their points for this race and put on a show for the fans?

The FIA never told anyone to race on unsafe equipment, rather they simply refused to change the circuit. The Michelin teams chose to not race rather than take any of the alternatives available to them within the rules.

The alternatives IMHO would have been just as much a farce as what happened on Sunday anyway, only with more danger involved IMHO.
Bernie Ecclestone has been said to be in agreeement with the 9 teams about the chicane deal on Saturday for the sake of the show and proposed it to Max and the FIA. Sure he doesn't have the power in that regard, but even he could see it was a better solution for everyone involved rather than risk it all and hold strong to your guns like the FIA did. IF the FIA comprmised on the track layout, the backlash would have stayed within the F1 community and hard core fan base. instead the back lash is open to everyone and whoes to say what will happen with F1 at IMS much less in the US.

Basically, they wanted to opportunity to race for points without penalty by having the track modified to suite their limitation. Any of the FIA suggested means for them to race would have given them no chance for any of the top 6 spots (assuming that the Bridgestone cars all finished the race). So they boycotted because they did get their way - and used the "safety" argument as a smokescreen. They had plenty of ways to race safely - just none that would enable them to compete for a victory. So the quit.

Well, we will have to wait to hear what the real factual story is. My latest information from other F1 sites differs from yours. The latest I have is the Michelin teams were willing to race for no points just for the sake of racing with the chicane. I mentioned above that they had no alternative safe tire as Michelin said all the tires including the ones flown in was found out and believe to suffer from the same problem as the original tires. So if that is correct, the teams had no real choice and did not simply quit. Either way they would have had zero points and racing would have saved them a ton of money and saved a lot of face as well. I'll say it again, not racing simply to make a point makes no sense at all. Teams like McLaren and Kimi still could have picked up points if they raced even uncompetitively against the Ferrari. It can be argued that the Minardi and Jordan teams are so far off the pace that even at a slowed Michelin team race pace they would finish ahead of those two back marker teams. That means 3rd to 8th place points paying spots were still up for grabs. To elect to get no points just to make a statement or just because they could not win the race doesn't seem to fly and make any sense at all. Kimi could very well have thrown the WDC away by not racing. Alonso to fot that matter. Mclaren and Renault could have thrown away the WCC as well. What do we have now? Ferrari is tied for 2nd with McLaren and only 12 points down to Renault for the WCC. Kimi made no ground on Alonso who sits in first for the WDC when Alonso was mid field at this event and Kimi probably had the fastest car on the grid excluding the tire issue. Micheal Shumacher jumps into 3rd place for the WDC and is right back in the challange when nearly everyone including himself all but counted him out.

All 7 Michelin teams have been called to report to the FIA in 2 weeks - assuming the stink from this will not die down by then, I would guess that the FIA is going to hammer them pretty hard - fines and possibly points. Particularly since Michelin and their 7 teams have done nothing but blame the FIA for this mess.

This is true, we will wait and see. IMHO, the FIA really has nothing on the teams. They will slam Michelin hard though. I still say Michelin let the teams down big time, but if my information gathered is correct and the teams were willing to race for no points, than it is the FIA that let the fans down by not compromising for the sake of the putting on the show.

We must also not forget that the 7 teams were originally 9 teams including two Bridgestone teams of Minardi and Jordon. What would have been their reason to not race and align themselves with the 7 Michelin teams? The word has it all 9 were willing to stay in the garage and Jordan broke of at the last minute and decided to race while on the grid. Minardi just decided to follow suit as in realitiy they are in competition with each other since they are so far off the race pace of the other teams. It has been said that Minardi is actually upset at Jordan for electing to race when they all agreed to not race without the chicane.

Usgp Debacle - A Fan’s View

Disclaimer- I’m not a newspaper or magazine columnist or paid professional of any kind (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!). I’m just a regular Joe that spent his hard earned cash to see the most “technologically advanced” race cars run in a “world-class” event and was terribly saddened with what I witnessed yesterday at the USGP in Indianapolis.

For me, coming to grips with something like this is all about trying to figure out who to really be upset with and what to do about it once I come to my conclusion. The way I figure it - what’s done is done and nothing can change that, but how I reason it out and what I decide to do about it can help me deal with the disappointment. From my perspective, applying a little common sense, and understanding the facts as I believe them to be today, I was able to cut through all the B.S. and find who/what is at the core of yesterdays F1 debacle.

Just to set the record straight, I am by no means a Ferrari fan, and think even less about current egotistical F1 patron saint Bernie Ecclestone, however I think the rules are clear and most of the blame should rest squarely on the shoulders of Michelin Tire Corp. and the 7 race teams that decided to take matters into their own hands and pull their cars out of the race. Here’s why:

First off, shame on Michelin for being caught with their pants down! If they had paid attention, done their homework and brought optional tires (harder and softer compounds) for their teams to use during practice, there would be no discussion about the necessity of a chicane…..irregardless of whether Ferrari was the lone stand-out for it’s approval or not. Plain and simple, Michelin screwed up which ultimately impacted their team’s ability to be competitive AND safe. Early in the season when Ferrari was struggling with tire issues, they did not drop out of races or look for exceptions and paid the penalty by not being as competitive. Granted, this was not solely due to inadequate tires, however, they stuck it out and banded together with Bridgestone to improve their tires to handle the specific demands of each venue….including the track at Indianapolis. Why should Ferrari (or any of the other Bridgestone teams) agree to a last minute rule or track change when they were impacted by tire issues earlier in the season? These kinds of hasty compromises often cause other safety issues with equal or greater impact.

Second, the teams. Like bully’s at a playground, the 7 teams decided to test the resolve of the FIA and Bernie Ecclestone by saying if you don’t want to make some exceptions and play it our way, we’ll take our cars and equipment and go home. This directly opposes the concept of a ruling or sanctioning body to act as an objective third party (from a competition perspective) and is why the teams that participated in the shut-down should be reprimanded for their actions. With that said, I completely understand the importance of safety and would not want in any way to compromise those who either participate in or attend as spectators each race, however, the teams in question should have worked with the rules, dealt with the cards they were given and take it like men.

The solution to me was simple, given that current FIA philosophy is that "the rules are the rules” and everyone has to work within those guidelines I see two clear options:

1:Teams with Michelin tires could decide to grid as they qualified and take precautions, i.e. change tires more frequently or regulate speeds into the high-banked turn in question. This is an unlikely option as race car drivers by nature want to go as fast as they can or 2: after the reconnaissance lap, cars with Michelin tires should have been allowed to enter the pits and change to the alternate tires and start from the pits after the last car on the starting grid passed the start/finish line. This would be no different than for example what happens to a driver if he can not start his engine or shift into gear to leave the starting grid for his reconnaissance lap. Furthermore, since the rules essentially state that tire changes can be made only if a tire can be proven defective, and the FIA already had a letter in hand from Michelin stating that their tires were defective, I would think this would be an acceptable option. Most of the cars that qualified faster should have no problem overtaking the slower cars that started on the grid once they get on the circuit.

Anyway, that’s my 2 cents. I’ll get off my soapbox for now but would be curious to hear what others think. By no means do I think I’m the only one put out by this but as an innocent by-stander with nothing else to help ease my pain, I feel I’ve earned the right to vent my frustration with my Prime brethren!.

F1 begins to count the cost of its darkest hour

(Fox Sports)*

After the shame of the day before, Formula One awoke Monday to begin counting the cost of what is being described as "the most catastrophic public relations disaster in the 56-year history of the official world championship." Or, to put it another way, F1's darkest hour.

The sight of 14 F1 cars pulling off the track at the end of the formation lap for the U.S. Grand Prix and returning to the Indianapolis pits instead of racing is already being regarded as the death knell of the sport in the American market.

"Simply stated, this race is done. Forget what the contract says about future events," read the Indianapolis Star's obituary.

Tellingly, Speedway president Joie Chitwood immediately announced that the circuit held no commitment to invite F1 back in 2006.

"We're as much a victim of what transpired today as the fans are," he said. "Mr. Ecclestone is aware of our position and our unhappiness today."

Even Bernie Ecclestone, desperate to break into the American market, admitted the sport's future on the other side of the Atlantic is bleak.

"I'm furious at the stupidity of it all. There should have been a compromise but we could not get one. I tried a million things and thought that if we could get them on the grid we were halfway there. But it did not happen," he complained. "We were just starting to build a great image in America on TV and with the fans. All of that has gone out of the window."

Such somber realization spread as far as the drivers.

"I find it hard to put into words how damaging this is for F1. It throws into doubt the future of the race in U.S.," admitted David Coulthard. "Even if we do come back, half the crowd in the stands won't."

"It is a disaster for Formula One in the United States," added Nick Heidfeld.

The first bills for F1's most shameful episode are expected to be issued in the coming days.

"Sponsors will be lining up to claim millions in compensation from the teams that did not run, while Bernie Ecclestone, the sport's ringmaster, could also be liable to pay huge compensation," reported The Times of London.

With Ecclestone conceding that fans "have been cheated," F1 will be under huge pressure, both moral and legal, to issue full refunds to all the Indy spectators.

Michelin, however, are likely to bear the immediate brunt of F1's shame.

The FIA is expected to charge the French tire manufacturers, whose admission that their rubber was unsafe to use at Indy precipitated Sunday's shambles, with bringing the sport into disrepute this week.

The withering response of Charlie Whiting, the FIA's race director, to Michelin's request for a chicane to be introduced, in which he scorned their failure to supply "correct tires," is likely to be a mere taster of the FIA's response.

"We are very surprised that this difficulty has arisen," Whiting continued. "As you know, each team is allowed to bring two different types of tire to an event so as to ensure that a backup (usually of lower performance) is available should problems occur. It is hard to understand why you have not supplied your teams with such a tire given your years of experience at Indianapolis.

"That the teams you supply are not in possession of such a tire will also be a matter for the FIA to consider in due course under Article 151c of the International Sporting Code."

Under the terms of Article 151C, penalties can be applied for "any fraudulent conduct or any act prejudicial to any competition or to the sport in general."

Michelin's apparent incompetence could not be timed worse, coming just days after the FIA published proposals to limit tire supply to just one organization for 2008 and beyond.

Moreover, "Michelin's failure to supply its teams with safe and durable tires less than two weeks after it was warned by the FIA not to sacrifice safety for performance (after Kimi Raikkonen's tire failure at the Nurburgring) could force the French tire company's withdrawal from the sport," noted The Guardian.

However, in mitigation, Michelin publicly announced its mistake nearly 48 hours before the grand prix began.

That the sport could then not reach a compromise for the sake of its reputation and image damns those far beyond the confines of Michelin.

"The bottom line is Michelin made a mistake. But after that the FIA had it in their hands to find a solution and ensure we all raced out there. The most important people, the fans, have been forgotten in all of this," noted Coulthard.

Jacques Villeneuve, meanwhile, blamed Ferrari for its failure to agree to the introduction of a chicane: "We could have raced with a chicane, if a chicane had been put before the banking, but Ferrari didn't accept."

Michael Schumacher's comment, "I don't know what Michelin's problem is, but this wasn't our problem," spoke volumes about Ferrari's intransigence ahead of F1's race of shame.

F1's blame game is set to explode in the coming days but the damage has already been done. Sunday, this was a sport that imploded.

The cost, which will perhaps never be fully appreciated, will be borne by all those shamed by their association to this reprehensible debacle.

Back