• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Michelin teams to boycott Indy USGP?

LMAO

I Never did like that Doofy Mascot for Michelin.

Then again the "And the wheels go round and round" song for Bridgestone isn't exactly marketing genius, but I sure do LOVE my Potenzas.

I hate the one tire per race rule.
I miss all the actions in the pit lane in this year's races. Kinda boring. To change tires every 10 laps can give us lots of pit lane actions to watch. I think that could have been a great show for the fans.

Bridgestone had tire problem all season long. That's why the Ferraris were slow and did not win a single race until the USGP. Why cant the other michelin teams slow down as well?

I think in sports, the safety of the players come first, rules second and spectators after the first two. Many sporting events ended earlier due to unforseen reasons. This is part of it. TKO by Mike Tyson in less than a minute(when he was good) wasn't much of a show, and how much were those tickets?

Last edited:
For anyone who missed the original telecast(or don't have tivo) it is on tonight 12:30 am eastern time -speed ch.

Wooo! I flew up to Indy on Wednesday and stayed until Monday. Had a fantastic time. Been a fan of F1 for years and thanks to Lud, this was my first race.

I'm actually on the FIA's side on this one... if a team doesn't bring a helmet and shoulderpads to the playoffs, then NO, we aren't going to change it to flag football to suit your incompetence. They should've switched to the safer/lower performing tires (if they even brought them :confused: ) and accepted a penalty or just taken the pit lane each lap and battle for 7th and 8th place points... maybe even higher if one of the Bridgestone cars experienced a DNF. That track and turn 13 have been there since 1909... I just find it hard to believe none of the teams brought a backup tire that was suitable or Michelin can't make one. :(

At first I was on the fence because I think the 'single set of tires for qualifying/race' is a silly rule. The two things I see them create rules for are for a) safety and b) cost. I may not know alot about racing, but it doesn't seem like a single set of tires makes it safer and if you can't afford tires for your car, you don't belong in NASCAR, much less F1.

Anyways, I wasn't mad, had an awesome time, and would go next year in a heartbeat if I could. I guess I'm in the minority? However, if I had spent my life's savings to fly up from Colombia to see Montoya, I'd be livid.

Anyhoo, I took some pics and a bit of video and put them on my website for your viewing pleasure. ;)
IMG_1690.jpg

My wife and I in the Penthouse Paddock area near the start of the race.

IMG_1501.jpg

Holding up my NSXCA card to the NSX they had on-site at the Honda tent. :)

Last edited:
waldorf said:
I'm actually on the FIA's side on this one... if a team doesn't bring a helmet and shoulderpads to the playoffs, then NO, we aren't going to change it to flag football to suit your incompetence. They should've switched to the safer/lower performing tires (if they even brought them :confused: ) and accepted a penalty or just taken the pit lane each lap and battle for 7th and 8th place points... maybe even higher if one of the Bridgestone cars experienced a DNF. That track and turn 13 have been there since 1909... I just find it hard to believe none of the teams brought a backup tire that was suitable or Michelin can't make one. :(

:)

Even the optional tires Michelin had/were going to get had the same construction defect so those tires would not have been any good either. Running through the pitlane would mean limited to the pit lane speed limit thus the teams probably would not have earned any points at all even if they survived on the tires. Reason being is because you have to complete 90% of the race winners race laps to earn points. Since the USGP has one of the longest pits, and the complete race lap times were about 1:12 seconds, I figure the race leaders would lap the pit lane runners within 3-4 laps. Within nearly half the race the pit lane runners would be about 10 laps down arleady.

ChrisK said:
Even the optional tires Michelin had/were going to get had the same construction defect so those tires would not have been any good either.

Yikes... that's terrible. :( I guess if all teams used the same manufacturer, it would've been easier to come to a compromise. I just don't think adding a chicane on race-day makes sense. These drivers have the tracks branded into their heads and could probably drive them with their eyes closed. Coming down to turn 13 at full speed and then, "Oh yeah.. they added a chicane today" would seem dangerous to me.

ChrisK said:
Running through the pitlane would mean limited to the pit lane speed limit thus the teams probably would not have earned any points at all even if they survived on the tires. (90% rule)

Ah, interesting... funny that Max Mosely didn't say anything about that in his interview on formula1.com. ;) Just a tough situation all around it seems, although I still think they did the right thing. Changing tires every 10 laps, they would've run into the same problem, I think... not to mention possibly running out of tires. :) Running turn 13 with a governer for reduced speed would also be rather strange and require more testing for "how fast is still safe?".

Last edited:
FIA decision in september

The FIA just decided after the hearing to postbone the decision about a punishment against the 7 Michelin teams. It will be announced on september, the 14th.

I've always been a huge fan of racing, having virtually grown up at IMS. Having been to nearly every race there since 1982, I've gotten quite the feel for the different crowds that come with the different types of racing. IRL = Lots of drunken crazies, but generally out for a good time. NASCAR = Lots of drunken southern-slang, confederate flag wavin' hillbillies, but generally out for a good time as well. F1...........well, it just seems to attract people who think they're better than everyone else. Not everyone, I've met some great people at that race, but there seems to be much more of the stand-offish crowd at hand. Case and point, even another NSX driver was an a$$. Djdrock and I were taking a lap around the outside of the track, and saw another NSX. We pulled over and parked by it. A few minutes later, the owner came back. He said "Is that yours? Could you move it so I can leave?" Not even a hello. JERK! Should have known, his license plate said "HIGHEND". In the short time I've owned this car, anyone I encounter with one always wants to talk, or at least garnishes a big smile when they see another.

The administration of F1 doesn't help much either. There was doubt from F1 (bernie) that IMS was doing enough to promote the race. However, they give the media only 2 clearances to cover from inside the track. NASCAR and IRL give them nearly 50 clearances. How can they promote when the media can't even put the action on TV? I saw a news team in Indy covering qualifications from Georgetown!! (the street outside the track)
I like F1, and think it's a good change from oval racing. Even so, I haven't decided if I'll ever go back to that race.

Yes, Michelin started the problem. Unfortunately, sometimes you're judged by how you deal with a complicated situation. In this instance, F1 is in that position.

So, I thought a quote from a PA newspaper was in order:
"Had they REALLY cared for the fans, they would have found a way. Had they REALLY cared for the fans, there would have been 20 cars on the track. Had they REALLY cared, the future of Formula One racing in America would not be in doubt.

But they don't, and it is."

I know, long post......................had to vent.

Last edited:
Back