• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Michigan check-in & spotting by blodi pt.2

GREAT to hear of a successful track weekend Tim (and Liz ;-), it won't be long before our LoveFab car is back on the road too.

We missed you guys in Grand Bend, that was a very fun time as well.

Brian

Great to hear you got your car back and broke it in properly Tim! Hopefully my block is back from Bensons sometime soon.

So, since I haven't had my NSX for a while again, I've gone through some withdrawal and was needing some Japanese, 2 seater, 6 cylinder, RWD action. So....I picked up a toy that's been on my car "bucket list" for a really long time......
A 1971 Datsun 240z. Bought it from a friend at work that I've been bugging about it for the last 2 years since he bought it. Previous owner to that spent big bucks having it really nicely restored. Looks like a new car on the outside, interior and underneath as well. Biggest issue right now is that it's an auto, but I've already sourced a local 280z 5 speed for it and am planning on doing the swap (supposedly a day or two of work) later this year. Very fun car and a whole different experience from the NSX, much more "vintage" feel. I managed to get out to Bakers with it on Sunday. I'll be doing a few other light mods (wheels, suspension) as well eventually.

image by blodi, on Flickr
image (1) by blodi, on Flickr
image (3) by blodi, on Flickr
image (2) by blodi, on Flickr
photo by blodi, on Flickr

Last edited:
sweet! wow what a nice package.... you're going to tempt me to get that bugeye sprite that I've always wanted....

Ryan, your garage must now be busting at the seams!

A friend in HS had a 240Z (manual ;-) that was a blast to drive.
It needed shocks though, as when you nailed the throttle the front rose up like a boat waiting to plane out ;^D

Another HS pal had a Datsun 1600 roadster.

Good times!

Brian
(Patrick- do you even 'Lucas Prince of Darkness', bro?)
(OK fine, just get one with a rotary swap ;-)

sweet! wow what a nice package.... you're going to tempt me to get that bugeye sprite that I've always wanted....
I just got to drive a bugeye a few weeks ago. What a blast!

I suppose there are worse problems to have :p Plenty of room right now though til that red car comes back. After that....I'll have to start getting a bit creative.

Last edited:

A friend in HS had a 240Z (manual ;-) that was a blast to drive.
It needed shocks though, as when you nailed the throttle the front rose up like a boat waiting to plane out ;^D

Another HS pal had a Datsun 1600 roadster.

Good times!

Brian
(Patrick- do you even 'Lucas Prince of Darkness', bro?)
(OK fine, just get one with a rotary swap ;-)

I may not have mentioned this before, but I was soooo close to pulling the trigger on a 13B powered bugeye Sprite with a tube chassis before I got my first NSX... of course, that's all faded in the past!

Acquisition

Nice grab there! Good color, eh? :biggrin: :cool:

Anyone go to Lingenfelter CNC today? I was going to, but had too much on my plate.

Went south. 221 miles on LBBP to OH and back - ran like a top. Good "Death Run" down to T-town and south.

Baker's tomorrow PM if I can get chores done. Weather looks like it may hold :rolleyes:

That was me. Question? How do you charge an Optima Red Top battery when it is depeted. Not with the car alternator. Charging an Optima red top requires a trickle charge, is best to put another battery between the charger and the battery. Apparently, the battery does not like to be charged quickly so the top of the battery actually popped off of the car. Liz brought me a spare battery changed the battery on the ramp and home. No issues with a conventional lead acid and no problems with the alternator or voltage regulator.

That was me. Question? How do you charge an Optima Red Top battery when it is depeted. Not with the car alternator. Charging an Optima red top requires a trickle charge, is best to put another battery between the charger and the battery. Apparently, the battery does not like to be charged quickly so the top of the battery actually popped off of the car. Liz brought me a spare battery changed the battery on the ramp and home. No issues with a conventional lead acid and no problems with the alternator or voltage regulator.

Forgive me as I chuckle a bit. I well recall a certain country drive several years ago when the battery was literally falling out of your Noble :eek:

Something about you and car batteries? :redface:

if you need a spare odyssey 680, I have one here. will be in downtown ann arbor tonight....

Hey Neal, here is the video we were talking about today.

Ladies and Gents, please don't EVER drive like this.

Chris

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dqCGNOvhVm8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good old I-696, I remember it so well. There's nothing even close to it in PA. I still remember the oddly unsettling feeling of being passed every few minutes in those semi-claustrophobic "small canyons in the city between exits" by beat-up cars going 100+ mph late at night, driven by people with little or zero appreciation for the limits of a mechanical device like their car as they wove in and out of lanes thru traffic that was already enjoying an awesome 70 mph limit. I was always so glad when I finally reached I-275 south and had 10 minutes to decompress until arriving home in P-Town!

Great day yesterday with Neil, Brian & Judi at Baker's of Milford. Thank you all so much for letting me tag along and be a part of a great regional NSX community. The car show, food and back route drive was awesome...not to mention getting a privileged look at your NSX eye candy in the garage. I plan to be a part of the group gatherings - the hints, tips, stories and camaraderie are the best!

Attachments

• 2014-06-01 18.45.57.jpg
    2014-06-01 18.45.57.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
It was great meeting you Gino, and welcome your addition to the local camaraderie!

The purple boostmonster will soon roam the streets again, I promise.

Brian

Anyone planning on going to CNC Saturday? We were thinking about it.

Got the front crossmember and the (now ceramic coated) headers installed, so the exhaust system is now fully complete.

< further update > Axles, uprights / hubs all in and torqued. Transmission shift cables back in place. Now it's down to replacing the last of the coolant hoses, and reconnecting electrical stuff!

Brian

Last edited:
Who has a 18x7.5 and 19x9.5 wheel I could borrow for my upcoming move? I'd ship wheels back. I know everyone drives long distances but I'd feel better if my support vehicle had a full size spare ready for the front and back of my car. :D

I realize this might be an odd request.

Who has a 18x7.5 and 19x9.5 wheel I could borrow for my upcoming move? I'd ship wheels back. I know everyone drives long distances but I'd feel better if my support vehicle had a full size spare ready for the front and back of my car. :D

I realize this might be an odd request.
Don't have wheels & tires in those sizes (sorry), but as per your WTB post.......I DO have a used NSX piston if you would like it.

Brian

Back