• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Michigan check-in & spotting by blodi pt.2

I'm a fan of the roof swap.....:wink:

Michigan 2018

-2018 already wake up call-

Breaking radio silence for 2018. Happy New Year to y'all. Post up what you have been doing. :biggrin:

2018-1-20 20 Sun AM b'fast Jhae Pfennig w his NSX.JPG

Jhae Pfennig and his NSX (1997 Berlina) that he built and showed at SEMA recently! Jhae used to live near Grand Rapids, MI, and was/is an NSX "free spirit." We miss him in these parts. He now resides in Gilbert, AZ, near Chandler, Phoenix, Scottsdale, S.O.S. (Chandler), and all the "good stuff."

A certain someone in my life was gifted a Bondurant School certificate from her professional friends. It was made into a two day HPDE session, and folded in to a week long vacation somewhere warm :smile:

The sports cars seen in Scottsdale (not to mention wandering the last day of the Barrett Jackson auction Sunday 1-21-2018) were incredible.

2018-1-20 157 Maricopa Oval instruction with Instructor.JPG

A 2017 Dodge Challenger SRT Hemi, car # 04, burning their premium, their tires, and their brake pads (etc). Hybrid with a very rewarding exhaust note. I loved
taking photos, and they let me sit in on classroom sessions and ride with her one-on-one instructor for several of the car control exercises.

To top it all off........... her instructor was Johnny O'Connell's son, Canaan.

Last edited:
Very cool Neal! Seems like driving school is the trend for the winter. "T-Money" and I made a quick weekend trip out to Steamboat Springs, CO to do the Bridgestone Winter Driving School there.
Had a blast. Also had to stop by the Coors Brewery on the way back to Denver. Then it was back to reality.
IMG_0022 by blodi, on Flickr

IMG_0039 by blodi, on Flickr

IMG_0038 by blodi, on Flickr
IMG_4337 by blodi, on Flickr

IMG_4340 by blodi, on Flickr

IMG_4342 by blodi, on Flickr

My car will arrive in early April. I'll be ready for all sorts of shenanigans with the MI crew.

blodi >>> I took that driving class about 6 or 7 years ago. I learned some stuff, but mostly had fun.

Blodi did you get rid of the mullet? Lol

Okami welcome to do the group! April? Are they pushing it here from Florida? That's a long time lol

I haven't done anything, I added 8 miles last month, we did hit 50 that Sunday.

Last edited:
Welcome Okami!
Yeah Hass...got a bit more of a dad cut. :) We all gotta grow up sometime I guess. Hope all is going well with you and your little one!
Worked in the garage last night and the Z is officially back on the ground after quite a few winter repairs/upgrades/maintenance items.
Bring on Spring!
IMG_4477 by blodi, on Flickr

wow that Z looks great...

My car will arrive in early April. I'll be ready for all sorts of shenanigans with the MI crew.

blodi >>> I took that driving class about 6 or 7 years ago. I learned some stuff, but mostly had fun.

Welcome Okami-san. Just to be perfectly clear, none of your fellow NSX owners herein MI engage in any shenanigans. Feel free to ask blodi or alum04org -- they will confirm. LOL.

Looking forward to meeting you. There is one obvious downside to having an NSX in the greater Detroit area -- almost nowhere to drive it given road conditions. Mine saw all of 1,000 miles last year. True enough, I had some other priorities during last year's driving season but honestly, roads are so bad I just can't imagine putting the NSX on the road this year. I can hardly bear to drive my Audi A6 on these awful roads -- been using my spare car -- 14 year old Acura TL with 163,000 miles on the clock. Why is it OH has decent roads for the most part and ours are worse than awful? Pathetic. Rant over.

Best,
Jeff

Hah. Completely agree Jeff. Each new thaw cycle this winter I've been thinking "how in the hell am I going to drive the fun car this summer?" It's really quite despicable. I'm lucky enough to have access to a work vehicle to minimize damage to my own cars this winter but I am dreading the spring and summer. Hopefully HRD and NT will at least be drivable.

A recent report I heard on talk radio reported the per capita road funding - Michigan was around $154 per capita and comparable Pennsylvania was around $530. I think there are many sources to our road problems but it seems a lack of dedicated funding is a big one. Hopefully the recently jacked up annual registration will go towards some of that funding.

Welcome to the new car in Berkely ! The younger crowd on summer nights on Woodward will be thrilled.

Last edited:
trackday.jpg
Greetings to all from Southern Utah. Katie & I relocated from Lake Orion to Hurricane, UT last summer. Smooth, sinuous mountain roads, lots of sunshine, and virtually NO SNOW!! The photo is from my first track day at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch last weekend. A track day in early March - imagine!!

We have built a new home only 25 minutes from Zion Nat'l Park. Come see us if you are in the area!!

Roger, great to hear from you!

Your invitation to ride along in your NSX at a PCA DE really helped to convince me to forget looking for a 930, and go with the NSX ;^D

Spring Mountain was the site of the Vegas NSXPO Track activities, where we ran the big course and an adjacent autocross course.

Good times!

Brian

Welcome Okami-san. Just to be perfectly clear, none of your fellow NSX owners herein MI engage in any shenanigans. Feel free to ask blodi or alum04org -- they will confirm. LOL.

Looking forward to meeting you. There is one obvious downside to having an NSX in the greater Detroit area -- almost nowhere to drive it given road conditions. Mine saw all of 1,000 miles last year. True enough, I had some other priorities during last year's driving season but honestly, roads are so bad I just can't imagine putting the NSX on the road this year. I can hardly bear to drive my Audi A6 on these awful roads -- been using my spare car -- 14 year old Acura TL with 163,000 miles on the clock. Why is it OH has decent roads for the most part and ours are worse than awful? Pathetic. Rant over.

Best,
Jeff
jeff... don't think of them as potholes... consider them "publicly funded swimming pools."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jeff... don't think of them as potholes... consider them "publicly funded swimming pools."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Patrick I never thought of it that way. I'm feeling better already, thanks!

I have wondered over the years whether the lack of road funding here and general poor road maintenance/conditions (ever deteriorating is more accurate) is some type of conspiracy formulated/backed by the automakers to move everyone into high profit SUVs/trucks. As that tag line in the intro to the X-files went -- "Trust No One."

Semi-funny story, I was driving into work the other day and due to minor fogging issues I had my DS window slightly cracked with the defroster on high.
This was working great, until a car going the other way hits a "publicly funded swimming pool" which sent a splash wave onto my ride.....you guessed it, I got hit like when the fat kid cannonballs off the high diving board ;-P

MI roads are most likely under-funded. I was looking into the whys and hows recently. MI per capita spending on roads is $152. In this area (within the US), OH was the next lowest per capita spending rate at something like $210. I'd pay $60 a year to have roads as good as OH does. Oh, but wait, I do already since MI is already a higher gas tax state. So I give up. :(

Back