• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Miles -- How much is too much?

I know it's honda, but how many miles are TOO many miles on an NSX? 100K+? Assuming all service done at regular schedules...

While the concept of a car having 100K miles on it completely new to me (my 93 VR4 was the highest milage car i'd ever owned at 62K), what are the general pitfalls of such milage?

I will be building a new house, which puts me a good 20 miles (40 round trip) from work vs the 2 that I am at now. I'd like to be able to drive the NSX every other day if not more, but am a little leary about racking up that many miles on a "low milage" example out there. At the same time, I don't want to get stuck in a 100K mile pitfall of a car either.

Ideas? The search didn't yeild many viable results, but i'll try some other keywords.

MM

MM,

Im going to brag a little here.Im on my second NSX and Ive had zero problems with either one.Not even a bad battery.Ive driven my current one 25k miles(it now has almost 40k) and my last I drove 35k miles(It had 65k when I wrecked it
frown.gif
)There are a few members here over the 100k mark with very little problems ie:alternator/battery.As long as the maintenance is up to par,a higher mileage car would be OK.In fact you can rest assured that any car with 60k or more would not have an issue that hadnt been resolved already.

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T BBSC Spa Yellow
93 Supra TT T-61
97 Viper GTS S/C

There's no such thing as too many miles.

However, you can expect more problems on a high-mileage car than a low-mileage car. It can still be reliable, as long as you keep up with the scheduled maintenance.

I happen to consider NSXs with under-average mileage to be, in general, a better value than those with over-average mileage. For example, a '91 with 50K miles might sell for $32K, and a similar '91 with 100K miles might sell for $28K. Is a difference of 50K miles worth paying $4K for? The answer is yes, as long as you consider the lifespan of an NSX to be 200K or even 300K miles.

Originally posted by nsxbadboy:
In fact you can rest assured that any car with 60k or more would not have an issue that hadnt been resolved already.

That's not necessarily true. Just to cite one counterexample, there have been numerous reports of snap ring failures above that figure.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 02 March 2003).]

That's not necessarily true. Just to cite one counterexample, there have been numerous reports of snap ring failures above that figure.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 02 March 2003).][/B]

I was under the impression that most snap rings would have let go by 60k.So compare the number of failures above 60k vs the number below and you will agree that they are negligible.Also note that the early cars that were plagued with PW problems and A/C problems would have them sorted out by then.

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T BBSC Spa Yellow
93 Supra TT T-61
97 Viper GTS S/C

I was under the impression that most snap rings would have let go by 60k.

Nope. People have reported snap ring failures at 62K, 70K, 80K, 83K, 113K, and 116K miles.

So compare the number of failures above 60k vs the number below and you will agree that they are negligible.

Wrong again. The number of failures reported above 60K miles is approximately equal to those reported below 60K miles. When you take into account that the miles driven above 60K are much higher (because many early NSXs haven't even reached that point), you can conclude that the snap ring is more likely to fail above that point than below.

Also note that the early cars that were plagued with PW problems and A/C problems would have them sorted out by then.

Again, not true. Just as many of the window problems and A/C problems are occurring in cars with well in excess of 60K miles.

There is no reason to believe that all problems will be shaken out by 60K miles, and (as you can see) most of the common problems can just as easily occur above that point as below.

The best thing you can do is to make sure that (a) the common problems that are preventable - such as the snap ring problem and the window problem - are prevented through the installation of the snap ring and upper transmission case and either new regulators or fix-it thingies installed; (b) all scheduled maintenance has been performed; and (c) there are no other problems present in the car you are buying, such as making sure that the A/C works properly.

you are asking about one of the real shining features of the nsx---all the other exotics are envious of the nsx's reliability and longevity.

most exotics consider 50k miles to be high, not the nsx.

to appeal, resale value, to the widest variety of exotic buyers, it would be good to have an nsx under 50k.

IMO....

nsxtasy????

Another forum member here I know, has over 100k on his 91, Comptech SC, he does track events every month or so, runs it VERY VERY hard , and it keeps going and going...doesnt even burn a drop of oil...=)

Originally posted by huckster:
nsxtasy????

Hey Breck, wassaaaaaaaaap?
biggrin.gif

you are asking about one of the real shining features of the nsx---all the other exotics are envious of the nsx's reliability and longevity.

most exotics consider 50k miles to be high, not the nsx.

Yup, absolutely.

Browse through Ferrari listings in the Ferrari Market Letter and you will see that the average number of miles driven on used Ferraris is well under 2K miles/year. On the NSX it's around 5K/year.

The NSX is just catching its second wind at 100K miles. Most cars - exotic and non-exotic alike - are showing their wear by that point.

Reliability? Natch.

to appeal, resale value, to the widest variety of exotic buyers, it would be good to have an nsx under 50k.

The lower the mileage, the greater the appeal. However, the lower the mileage, the higher the price, of course. Prices make up for the difference in miles.

What I really like about the NSX is that a big difference in miles translates into a relatively small difference in price. For example, an early NSX with 100K miles might sell for ~$4K less than a similar one with 50K miles. That's not a huge price difference. The conclusion you can make is that if you're buying an NSX, you are better off with a low-mileage example than a high-mileage one; but if you already own an NSX, you may as well enjoy it and don't worry about racking up the miles. This is a good thing for all of us.

Back