• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mods for automatic

That car blew up its AT transmission because it had no modifications to the transmission. We are currently working on a solution for the automatic transmissions so that they can handle a supercharger or turbocharger. If anyone is interested, please let us know so we can gauge demand.

Jim said:
Didn't LG install one of his custom turbo setups on an A/T?

Maybe the owner of that NSX or someone that knows him will chime in.

Edit: I read the link to that old thread....I guess that owner doesn't post here.

Lopaka69[/i] [B]I think the big question is why would Honda make such a weak transmission for the auto. I have friends with A/T Supra Turbos pushing 500 hp on the stock transmission with absolutely no problems. Why couldn't Honda make the tranny stronger?[/B][/QUOTE] [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by spookyp said:
The best feature of the Supra is its over-engineering. The bottom end, tranny, injectors and even stock turbo were all engineered to take more load.

The NSX was finely optmized and runs close to tolerance. The auto tranny is a weak link, but it is what it is. There was no chance of Honda spending money to update it. Basically, the choices are risk killing it (like nsxparts' friend), or proactively spend the money to replace it...

The other thing worth mentioning (regarding why Honda didn't make the automatic stronger) is, how much money would you expect them to spend on engineering for a version that would account for less than 10 percent of sales?

ACR_Motorsports said:
That car blew up its AT transmission because it had no modifications to the transmission. We are currently working on a solution for the automatic transmissions so that they can handle a supercharger or turbocharger. If anyone is interested, please let us know so we can gauge demand.

I am thinking about NOS for my '91 auto and possibly Level 10 and a turbo for my next NSX :)

So I'm interested in what you could do...

I'm interested as well. I love my A/T nsx, but I wouldn't mind a little more power.:D

Count me as interested...

yeah, I'm interested in anything to boost the A/T power. I dyno'ed 210 at the wheels with the 3.0. Anyone doing better with an A/T and if so, how?

My 1991 Auto NSX just made 197.5hp at the wheels dead stock. I am installing a custom set of headers and a high flow exhaust along with a Cantrell ari induction system. Should be good for at least another 20hp at the wheels.
I am currently looking into fitting a new torque converter also to give it better performance off the line.

Sell the automatic, buy a used 5speed with type r gears and shorties, and you will swear it's a beast of a different car.....:biggrin:

I just got an email from GruppeM when asking about what power the Automatic gearbox can take.

Dear Sir
Hello!
We tested so many things for A/T transmission.
I suggest to you that is okay until 380ps.
Please keep this top power at your end.
Thanks.
GruppeM,Inc.
MAMORU OGOSE

Sounds like the Auto can handle the extra power we all need. I plan to put a 70HP NOS kit on my NSX so will let you know how that goes.

I just got an email from GruppeM when asking about what power the Automatic gearbox can take.

Dear Sir
Hello!
Thanks.
GruppeM,Inc.
MAMORU OGOSE

Sounds like the Auto can handle the extra power we all need. I plan to put a 70HP NOS kit on my NSX so will let you know how that goes.

Wow! you got a reply from the CEO of Gruppe M :eek:

Sounds tasty. But one thing I want to ask is that the mod is with stock A/T or modifed ones?
ozsmart said:

Dear Sir
Hello!
Thanks.
GruppeM,Inc.
MAMORU OGOSE

Don't know how much help this is... I had a 500RWHP supra the older body style... it was an auto, one of the first to reach that power level. I sent the trans to Art Carr transmissions:

www.artcarr.com

He had never even seen a supra transmission before. But he modified the bejesus out of it. That thing was so strong when it came back... and it SLAMMED gears so hard I used to break the rear loose on the 2-3 shift at 70MPH.

Their price was reasonable and Art himself was a great guy. They may be worth talking to as well.

btcog82 said:
If I had an A/T, the first mod I would do is...

Trade It!:biggrin: :biggrin: Trade it for a manual:biggrin: :biggrin:
I've to agree on that and it's alot more fun to drive!!

Has anyone ever heard back about the request for interest that was put out there for a mod that would help an A/T? I would like to see what can be done for a reasonable amount of money to get more HP. I have never had mine dyno'd and I track the car about 4-5 times a year. Being a married guy I have to run these things past the wife and she will go along with some less expensive mods but not the $7,000 plus it costs to get something major done. I have the exhaust done already. Has anyone tried anything else. NOS is not an option for me as I don't think that really helps on a road track and is more for straight line drag racing.:confused:

Originally Posted by btcog82
Trade It! Trade it for a manual
THE FUNNY THING IS NO ONE LOOKING AT THIS THREAD THINKS YOU ARE FUNNY BRO SPECIALLY WHEN YOUR SO CALLED JOKE THING IS ALLREADY BEEN SAID ITS A$$E$ LIKE YOU THAT MAKE IT HARD TO GET ANY SERIOUS QUESTIONS ANSWERED AND INFORMATION BE PUT OUT. LITTLE KIDS LIKE YOU ARE WHY SO MANY PEOPLE DON'T POST ON PRIME ANYMORE GO TO THE CIVIC FORUM AND HAVE YOUR CHEAP LAUGHS.

Don't know how much relavence this is to you guys but......When you are considering the tranny as the weak link let me add that I modded my F250 Powerstroke with a chip and intake which added around 85HP at max setting. Within 500 miles of install......:frown: ......I was buying a new trans. I understand this is comparing apples to candy bars but the trans is the weak link in both cases. I would first upgrade your trans having said this.

I wonder if the power difference is due to the lower redline, and a torquier set of cams, and not due to tranny weakness????????

BTW, F250 = ford = weakly made! And I WAS a Ford guy.... :(

Originally Posted by btcog82
Trade It! Trade it for a manual
THE FUNNY THING IS NO ONE LOOKING AT THIS THREAD THINKS YOU ARE FUNNY BRO SPECIALLY WHEN YOUR SO CALLED JOKE THING IS ALLREADY BEEN SAID ITS A$$E$ LIKE YOU THAT MAKE IT HARD TO GET ANY SERIOUS QUESTIONS ANSWERED AND INFORMATION BE PUT OUT. LITTLE KIDS LIKE YOU ARE WHY SO MANY PEOPLE DON'T POST ON PRIME ANYMORE GO TO THE CIVIC FORUM AND HAVE YOUR CHEAP LAUGHS.

relax man. i think what he meant was why the hell would you buy an automatic nsx? but, at the same time, he realizes that people buy them over manual for a reason (driving in traffic, don't care for manual in general, etc.)... obviously he didn't want to step on anybody's toes, so he said he was just kidding.

in any case.... even people on the "civic forum" would probably tear you apart for driving an auto, cept they would do it without regard for why you really bought one to begin with. and what's wrong with "the civic forum".... is that purgatory to you?

in any case..... anybody looking to modify their auto nsx probably has never had an automatic honda before. if you did, you would know their autos aren't quite the best.

buuut, if you just have to do some sort of mod to it, i would suggest putting a tranny cooler on it first. heat is what accounts for most transmission failures, so at least cover yourself there before you start giving it some more juice. hell, go ahead and put one on it even if you're gonna keep it stock.

as far as the auto being able to take 380ps.... that's bs. ps refers stictly to wheel power..... 380ps =374.8whp. good luck running that.

Originally Posted by Synthesis:
relax man. i think what he meant was why the hell would you buy an automatic nsx? BECAUSE WE CAN DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT ?
but, at the same time, he realizes that people buy them over manual for a reason (driving in traffic, don't care for manual in general, etc.)... obviously he didn't want to step on anybody's toes, so he said he was just kidding.
If you don't have anything productive to say keep it your self. And it wasn't funny at all. The joke is so played out.
First people looking at auto mods post are looking for help in info about their tranny not jokes and info from people who never owned a auto nsx. They want to get answer's back from people who have dealt with these issues not from novice home mechanics trying to guess what the hell honda engineers did. No pun intended. SO please if you know and have any usefull info on this topic enlighten us.

Back