• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Moving to LA... I have some Questions

We're talking from Torrance (aka. The South Bay) right?

I think from Torrance, up the 405, is not horrible (not great, but not bad, 40mph?). It tends to bunch up right around the Venice Blvd exit going North on the 405. You might be ok if you exited here and headed East on Venice and up La Cienega (or one of the other artery streets like La Brea, Supelveda) from there. All this still makes for a 35-45min est commute though.

I agree the 10fwy/405fwy intersection should be avoided. Actually my commute everyday is up Sawtelle from Marina Del Rey to Brentwood. I have the option to take the 405 up and whenever I do I regret it.

35-45 minutes shouldnt be too bad if I plan everything right. I also saw a few places in inglewood area. Looks like I can take the S La Brea ave up to cedars and avoid all freeway. Inglewood is seems like a few minutes closer to cedars. Anyone have experience with the inglewood area?

35-45 minutes shouldnt be too bad if I plan everything right. I also saw a few places in inglewood area. Looks like I can take the S La Brea ave up to cedars and avoid all freeway. Inglewood is seems like a few minutes closer to cedars. Anyone have experience with the inglewood area?
Inglewood area is really hit and miss. Mostly a miss! Inglewooood---always up to no goooood!

I do have some coworkers that live in certain parts of Inglewood. Have you tried looking in Culver City? Even the South side is pretty decent. I'd even consider some parts of Palms. Palms is popular with UCLA undergrad students who don't have much money. We can help plot these on a map if you're having trouble.

Inglewood area is really hit and miss. Mostly a miss! Inglewooood---always up to no goooood!

I do have some coworkers that live in certain parts of Inglewood. Have you tried looking in Culver City? Even the South side is pretty decent. I'd even consider some parts of Palms. Palms is popular with UCLA undergrad students who don't have much money. We can help plot these on a map if you're having trouble.

That would be great if you can. Again, thanks for all the great info on here. I appreciate it!

What do you think about the 110 up to cedars? or 405 to venice ave?

The 110 is an option, but going through downtown and the 110/101 interchange can be a mess. When I ran the L.A. Marathon in 2010, it took an hour to get from the 110/10 interchange to the 110/101 interchange...I ended up jumping out of the car and running the rest of the way to Dodger Stadium. You have added traffic pressure of games and concerts at the Coliseum, USC, Staples Center / L.A. Live, the aforementioned Dodger Stadium...not to mention conventions. Events in Pasadena / Rose Bowl also have a tendency to screw up the 110 north of the 10. Gotta love freeways that end in a traffic light.

If you choose the South Bay, 405 to La Cienega is a good bet usually because the freeway traffic almost always slows down AFTER that exit. From there through the 10 is killer during rush hour. I was fortunate to not have to be in Santa Monica until 10:30a. I used to leave my house around 9:45 to make sure I'd be in by 10:30...and I found if I left any earlier, I'd still arrive by 10:30a.

If you consider Culver City, Palms, Venice, or Marina del Rey, just take Venice or Washington to La Cienega. Forget the 405/10 interchange. It's just not worth it.

One word of warning, if you choose to live in Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, or Brentwood, forget about trying to head to Cedars during the evening rush hour. I can recall many times when it took an hour to get from the Water Garden (Santa Monica) to the 405 (via the 10 or surface streets...no difference)! After that, I vowed I would never leave before 8pm.

As I said before, I've been much happier since my office moved to El Segundo.

Last edited:
Silverlake, Los Feliz, Miracle Mile Areas (between Fairfax and Highland)

I have pull with mid-century/boutique sale and rentals (townhomes, multiple units, sfr) in these areas if you're interested -- very well taken care of and turn key, all have garage access.

Cheers,
Ken

Silverlake, Los Feliz, Miracle Mile Areas (between Fairfax and Highland)

I have pull with mid-century/boutique sale and rentals (townhomes, multiple units, sfr) in these areas if you're interested -- very well taken care of and turn key, all have garage access.

Cheers,
Ken

Ken,
Any of the place have a private one car garage?

Thanks
Tuan

Back