• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My 05 is finally here

You should just powdercoat. Typical prep-work is sand blasting your wheels. In other words, they won't just powdercoat over your existing coat. This is the most cost effective way to get the finish you really want.

Thanks, everyone!

The current mileage is 17.6k. The black wheels do look better in person. They're "not so bad" after I see them in my driveway, and when I first saw it in the pictures my response was "gotta get the silver rims". Several mentioned that a wheel repair shop can fix this issue, but I am not so sure. I was told that they will do another powder coating over the black instead of restoring the OEM look. I am not sure I want another coat over them. I wonder if anyone here had the experience of restoring the OEM look. I'll call around and see. I also received many PMs both before and after getting the car. People try to convince me that there are people out there looking for black OEM with a good powder coating job, and I can trade or buy/sell for a silver set. I did see one set of OEM wheels in the FS section, but for the price I can almost get a set of nicer and more importantly, lighter wheels. I prefer to keep things stock, but a set of lighter wheels can benefit in so many dimensions. We'll see about that. I'll keep you folks posted.

I would think that it would be pretty easy to strip the wheels with chemicals. I mean why sand blast as that's pretty hard on the surface - although I'm sure these wheel restore places do this all the time. I bet if you look and talk around your area you'll find a shop that would do them right. Heck you could strip em yourself and take em to a shop for the right paint. I'd think a paint shop with a good booth and heat lamps could do a great job. There should be more than one way to get this done for a decent price without buying and selling rims. Geez, I mean my wife and I stripped our front doors and will stain and finish them when it warms up - now if we can do that - how hard could it be to strip rims. Stripping our doors with the details that are in the panels was a pain! Wheels would be a snap compared to that! Little elbow grease as they say!

Just a thought - I could be wrong about all that.

Powder coat is a very hard coating so any chemical that strips it could alter the original coating as well.

The original coating could have been sandblasted or scuffed up with steel wool as prep to help the powder coating stick before baking anyway.

Having them powder coated again should be fine. The majority of the current powder coat will probably be removed during sand blasting, so I don't think another coat will add any measurable weight.

Last edited:
OP: What part of Portland are you in? That neighborhood looks familiar!

I have a house in Tigard and SE Portland, was just there last weekend but it was pouring rain most of the weekend.

Guys, forgot the wheels color my gosh ~ the ride is sweet and looks perfect, I think the wheel color is of the least concern. What he needs is some spacers and a drop to better the stance. I love the wheels, if you ever want to sell them let me know :) Those would look good on my GPW s2000.

rick

Beautiful car... congratulations!!

Personally, I'd loose the black wheels... they don't compliment the car at all. Black wheels were made for track cars... to hide the brake dust :smile: Otherwise, they are my least favorite look in a wheel... but, the real young crowd seems to like them :confused:

Enjoy your ride!

-Wick

Black wheels were actually a factory option in Japan. While in person, I don't know if your wheels are the same shade/finish as the OEM black wheels, as it was a JDM OEM option, it's something unique that someone may want. Probably easier to sell them and get another set of OEM wheels somewhere.

Great color Silver ... they say geniuses pick Silver!

Personally, I kinda like the black wheels on the Silver NSX, but then again, I'm a huge Raiders fan so I like the color combo on just about anything!

Congrats on the purchase!

I am now in the hunt of another set of wheels. I am not going to re-coat the black set. The existing black powder coating was done really nicely. The worst(best?) part of it is that they somehow took off or nicely taped the Acura emblems and painted the center cap. It will cost me nearly $200 just paint those center caps back to silver. So repainting it will cost me somewhere around $600 to $700, which doesn't make any sense.

I am now in the hunt of another set of wheels. I am not going to re-coat the black set. The existing black powder coating was done really nicely. The worst(best?) part of it is that they somehow took off or nicely taped the Acura emblems and painted the center cap. It will cost me nearly $200 just paint those center caps back to silver. So repainting it will cost me somewhere around $600 to $700, which doesn't make any sense.

Buying a set of wheels is going to cost you a lot more than 700. I don't get it Jas. Why wouldn't you just repaint them. If you were here in Atlanta I bet you could get them painted properly for less than 700 since Bethemortgage got curb rash taken out on all wheels and repainted for 700. Maybe you could trade them if you don't want to pay to get them restored?

Back