• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My 1991 Berlina Black NSX Restoration

This has got to be one of the most fantastic build/paint/detail jobs in the history of Prime! WOW - you are a miracle man and I just wish I lived in CA just so I could be close to all the real car guys, it seems, in the country! It always amazes me to find out how many great paint shops and interior shops and leather shops there are in CA - it is for sure the "mecca" for real car crazy stuff! You just gotta love it and you sir are as good as I've ever seen - and have gone thru every page of this thread for the first time today and couldn't stop till I got to the last page!

I don't understand why anyone would question what you're doing - as in the comments like "why didn't you just buy a late model car instead".

How bout for the following reasons - just for starters and to name a few:

1. If you bought a new one you'd still have to detail the thing to pieces and you'd have another targa. NOW you have a great looking coupe! (read quiet and stiff)

2. You have done something few if any have ever done on this or any site with any car!

3. Great paint work and I have no doubt that it is every bit as nice if not nicer than the OEM paint from the factory - although it may not be baked on - that's the only thing I can think of. The proof really is in how long it will last looking like that? But for 4500 bucks - damn man that is a great deal and such attention to detail by the shop!

4. How many cars out there have absolutely no paint work anyway! At least this way you know every peice is done to perfection!

5. I WANT TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR FINISHED INTERIOR REALLY BAD!

Awesome dude - you are the man - I just wish I lived out there - might just have to move - no kidding. More power to ya! Keep up the great work and we are all waiting with baited breath for the next series of pictures! Thanks a ton for the detail pics befoire/after! Unreal!

PS: Shawn may be looking into moving in next door....

Tim,

Your post is really appreciated. It's rewarding to see that people have respect and an eye for attention to detail. If you ever need any help or advice, feel free to give me a call, email or PM.

Tim, I had that same question posted to me in person by another Primer about my car. I think there are lots of different types of car guys from ricers, keyboard racers, bling type, collectors, garage queens, OEM only, drag, drift, track...etc.etc.

And they don't necessary understand each other in terms of what/why they do or don't mod their cars. So, each to their own FTW. However, when you DO see something done carefully, correctly and skillfully, you know. Vroom's car comes to mind in terms of serious mods and mad fab skills. Another one is Anil's(SerialNSXer) car.

Eric's car looks impeccable in person and you can see all the detail work he has done everywhere on the car. It is truly amazing all the work and patience one needed to reach this level. I am certainly just a lowly grasshopper compare to him. On top of that, its not a typical "Project" car that sit in a garage for years and years and never gets done...you know the type:rolleyes: IMO, its more than just having the cash to do big mods. if you don't have the funds, do the small stuff. For such a great car as the NSX, its such a shame for it to sit in the garage in primo/low miles/look at me mode.

P.S. - Shawn, next door is empty and ready to be leased:)

You're not a lowly grasshopper! Your NSX is gorgeous, and if this black one was in the shape of yours. I would have not pursued the full restoration. Regardless, you know you have my full support on anything you do to your NSX. Can't wait to continue the Jenny Craig diet on your NSX. It has me curious now, on how much weight you can really eliminate.

Good point "liftnot" - to each his own.

I still want to see the inside of Mod inc's car when he gets those seats in there! Man that is going to be the best looking early coupe out there or at least one of em.

The other build I just went crazy over was the guy that made a coupe out of his targa and made an NSX-R replica out of it - that was awesome! Loved that one.

I love all these cars and it's great to have such a mix of guys with great mods and super detailers and hopefully driven! Not just sitting in "look at me" mode! I agree fully on that!

I remember that build. At first I must admit, it was painful to see pics of them removing the factory roof off that new NSX. However, the outcome was phenomenal, and well done. That car is definitely in my books as one of the best NSX builds. I hope to see and contribute more builds, on this thread. Been speaking with an NSX Local, that is interested in doing a fresh restoration on his high mileage 95 NSX-T.

Guys like shawn110975 , I think are people who will keep this hobby and spirit of this car alive. Someone who is willing to save any NSX - regardless of its shape, mileage etc. Hopefully this will show other enthusiasts to not be afraid to turn a wrench, on such an amazing machine, or to utilize such a sourceful place as NSX Prime. There are so many helpful users here, willing to lend a hand here.

Tim,

Your post is really appreciated. It's rewarding to see that people have respect and an eye for attention to detail. If you ever need any help or advice, feel free to give me a call, email or PM.

Hey Mod5 ,

How can anyone not appreciate your work - it is second to none. I've been looking at detailing for a long time and you do concourse at Pebble type work. If you just had a car they wanted at Pebble. They just haven't gotten around to NSXs yet! They will eventually - but it will be some barn find NSX in 40 years.

Thanks Mod, I sure appreciate the offer for help - we all need it - just wish I lived out there so I could come by and really learn something.

But when are you going to post the interior shots - I'm dying to see you dash and am wondering whose dash stuff did you buy. The carbon fibre really looks good - some of it looks kind of cheesy but what I saw for your gear shift was nice! I want to see the whole thing with the new seats in and everything!

Thanks Mod5

Absolutely stunning work and even better that you detailed out each step along the way so wonderfully. I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread!

If I may make a modest suggestion, take a few photos of the finished product from the same angles as your before photos it would really highlight the degree of magic you worked on that vehicle. It would allow for some better before/after comparison shots like this:
attachment.php

Here are some pictures of how it looked, when I took ownership.

bbnsx1.jpg

bbnsx2.jpg

bbnsx3.jpg

BBNSX.jpg

Attachments

• 1991Conversionto2002.jpg
    1991Conversionto2002.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 3,870
Last edited:
Damn, I always notice how old the pop ups look when right next to a facelifted car.

Hey Mod5 ,

How can anyone not appreciate your work - it is second to none. I've been looking at detailing for a long time and you do concourse at Pebble type work. If you just had a car they wanted at Pebble. They just haven't gotten around to NSXs yet! They will eventually - but it will be some barn find NSX in 40 years.

Thanks Mod, I sure appreciate the offer for help - we all need it - just wish I lived out there so I could come by and really learn something.

But when are you going to post the interior shots - I'm dying to see you dash and am wondering whose dash stuff did you buy. The carbon fibre really looks good - some of it looks kind of cheesy but what I saw for your gear shift was nice! I want to see the whole thing with the new seats in and everything!

Thanks Mod5

I am purchasing mostly all new OEM bezels, and such for the radio. Also am playing around with the idea of the 3M CF wraps. I am not really a fan of glossy items in an interior. But the 3M CF wrappings are nice and matte. So I will mess around with the stock trim, with this stuff. I am going with a real fine smooth leather, for the entire interior. Black Alcantara for the Door inserts, and lower section of the dash (scared of upper dash, getting faded-since this is a driver car). Also doing the cushions of the Recaro Pole Positions in Black Acantara Perforated Suede.

Then Double French Yellow Stitching, in the factory locations.

Thanks again, for taking the time to post. :)

Absolutely stunning work and even better that you detailed out each step along the way so wonderfully. I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread!

If I may make a modest suggestion, take a few photos of the finished product from the same angles as your before photos it would really highlight the degree of magic you worked on that vehicle. It would allow for some better before/after comparison shots like this:
attachment.php

Wow, That's neat. Thanks for doing that for me, and I will work on getting those angles with my camera. I was trying to make it out to the South Coast Acura event they're having today, but some things came up, so its a no show for me. :(

Damn, I always notice how old the pop ups look when right next to a facelifted car.

I was thinking the same thing, after seeing the picture above. :frown:

hey bro.

i tried contacting Prestige and they haven't been picking up. They're still in business, right?

Are there any photos of other member cars that the company has done?

Thanks in advance!

hey bro.

i tried contacting Prestige and they haven't been picking up. They're still in business, right?

Are there any photos of other member cars that the company has done?

Thanks in advance!

I just called them for you, and they answered on the first ring. I asked them if they were closed, or had phone issues and they said none. They were closed yesteray.

Anyhow, I would call them again. They have done 7 NSX Prime members cars. Feel free to PM me, and I will send you some pics. I don't want to post them up, without the owners permission.

As for an update on this Project NSX.

I ordered some German T135 Yellow Stitching, Black Fine Alcantara Fabric, JDM NAV Pod for the interior. Also will be sending out the OEM Steering wheel, for a cool Alcantara and Leather W/ Yellow Stitching Re-Wrap. :smile:

hey Erick,

I'm about to order parts for my 02 conversion and was wondering if you could go over this list. I got it from Chris NSX build thread. I am pretty sure he covered everything but just wanted to double check with you

2002%20Front%20Bumper.JPG

(1) 04711-SL0-A91ZZ FACE, FR. BUMPER 1
(3) 71106-SL0-000ZZ CAP, R. FR. BUMPER 1
(4) 71107-SLO-010YG COVER, FR. 1
(5) 71110-SL0-010 SPOILER, FR. AIR 1
(6) 71111-SL0-000ZZ SKIRT. FR. BUMPER 1
(7) 71120-SL0-010 STAY, R. FR. BUMPER BEAM 1
(8) 71125-SL0-010 STAY, L. FR. BUMPER BEAM 1
(9) 71126-SL0-000ZZ CAP, L. FR. BUMPER (UPPER) 1
(11) 71140-SL0-010 FRAME, FR. (UPPER) 1
(14) 71151-SL0-010 PLATE, FR. (UPPER) 1
(15) 71152-SL0-020 SEAL, FR. 1
(18) 71160-SL0-000 PLATE, R. FR. BUMPER SIDE (UPPER) 1
(19) 71162-SL0-010 SEAL ASSY., R. HEADLIGHT 1
(21) 71165-SL0-000 PLATE, L. FR. BUMPER SIDE (UPPER) 1
(22) 71167-SL0-010 SEAL ASSY., L. HEADLIGHT 1
(24) 71170-SL0-020 ABSORBER, FR. BUMPER 1
(26) 71173-SL0-000 PIPE, FR. 2
(28) 71201-SL0-003 TAPE A, R. FR. BUMPER 1
(29) 71202-SL0-003 TAPE B, R. FR. BUMPER 1
(30) 71251-SL0-003 TAPE A, L. FR. BUMPER 1
(31) 71252-SL0-003 TAPE B, L. FR. BUMPER 1
(32) 71572-S2A-A00 BOX, RR BUMPER BEAM 4

(36) 90111-SM4-003 BOLT, BUMPER 10
(41) 90305-SH3-000 NUT, AIR SPOILER CLIP 4
(44) 91503-SZ3-003 CLIP A, BUMPER 3
(45) 91577-SR2-003 CLIP, TRUNK LID GARNISH 2

headlight.JPG

(1) 33101-SL0-A04 HEADLIGHT UNIT, R. (HID) 1
(2) 33107-S0A-J01 SCREW (4X12) 2
(3) 33108-S0A-J01 SCREW (6X18) 14
(5) 33115-S84-A11 BULB (HB3) (12V 60W) 2
(6) 33116-SLO-003 BULB (D2S) 2
(7) 33119-S6M-003 CONTROL UNIT 2
(8) 33123-SL0-A01 BRACKET, R (1) 1
(9) 33124-SLO-A01 BRACKET (2) 2
(10) 33126-SL0-A01 COVER, RUBBER 2
(11) 33127-SL0-A01 COVER (1) 2
(12) 33129-S5A-J01 IGITER, HID 2
(13) 33145-SL0-A01 GASKET, SEAL (1) 2
(14) 33146-SLO-A01 GASKET, SEAL (2) 2
(15) 33151-SL0-A04 HEADLIGHT UNIT, L. (HID) 2
(16) 33173-SL0-A01 BRACKET, L (1) 1
(17) 33304-S5A-003 SOCKET (T10) 2
(18) 33305-SH3-AO1 SOCKET 2
(26) 93406-08020-05 BOLT-WASHER (8X20) 8

if you guys did meet up i would seriously consider flying down and putting a short nsx film together provided my schedule permits.

tae, you car is going to be awesome.

This is going to be great.

I wish you weren't so far. This would've been one wicked photoshoot. :cool:

MOD5 Eng,
Hey, I just stumbled on this build and I have to say that you know how to take care of your car, excellent build. Enjoyed all the pics and your attention to detail is OCD! We need to get together, I live in Redlands and have a '93 and I have several friends in Redlands with NSX. Pm me and I'll give you my contact. Looking forward to meeting you.

Paul

MOD5 Eng,
Hey, I just stumbled on this build and I have to say that you know how to take care of your car, excellent build. Enjoyed all the pics and your attention to detail is OCD! We need to get together, I live in Redlands and have a '93 and I have several friends in Redlands with NSX. Pm me and I'll give you my contact. Looking forward to meeting you.

Paul

Thanks, Paul. I believe we met at the I.E Cars N Coffee before? I could be wrong..

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Haven't been able to drive it much lately, due to work. She is sitting under a new OEM Car Cover with a Trickle Charger on the battery. lol

I might be putting it up for sale, to fund some other business ventures. :mad:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i guess no interior finish then?

Interior is all updated, but Recaros aren't installed. I will update this post, with the interior detail and 02 Update. Thanks again, for all the compliments everyone.

Nice wheels :D Are they 18F 18R?

Thanks, they're actually 18F, 19R. :)

That is too bad about having to sell it to fund a business venture. :frown:

Lets still get together, I'll pm you sometime.

Paul

the new owner will be one lucky and very very happy owner

So I am pretty certain, about having to clear up some of my assets to fund a business venture.

If anyone is interested in trading there stock NSX + Cash, for this car, PM ME. I would love for it stay within in the NSX Prime community.

Back