• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My Car was on Velocity TV show "what's my car worth? tonight

Some of you may be familiar with the Velocity TV show "whats my car worth"

I submitted my car and pictures a couple months ago... they featured it in the mailbag segment tonight.

they said collectibility was a "c".. heading up to a "b"in a couple years and they figured the car would bring 45,000 at auction

heres a couple screenshots from the segmentnsz screenshot1.jpgnsx screenshot2.jpg

Just read your post, turned on the TV, and saw your car again. Nice car and congrats on the free publicity.

Very cool! I'll have to look for a re-run. Interesting that their valuation tracks pretty close with Haggerty. Good to hear they believe they'll be increasing in collectability.

I saw a yellow nsx featured on this show last week, although it might have been a rerun. Idiot host said he was penalizing for the "modifications" and pointed to the non OEM wheels. Owner responds, uhm, I can throw them on right now for you. It was pretty funny, host looked real stupid

Saw both episodes. The yellow NSX was criticized a little not just for the rims (which were some very nice HRE's btw) but for some other non-original bits. From the point of view of the hosts, I totally get it. Collector cars are marked down on a condition grade for parts that are not appropriate for the car. There are exceptions...cars where modifications are looked at differently. Resto-mods for example. And the NSX is hard to catagorize as it is in transition from being a very high-end used car to collector status, a transation that could go on for years given the lifespan of the model.

Gthong, when I saw the red NSX in the mailbag segment I wondered if the car belonged to a Primer. Way cool to see that you got your car on the show. It looked really good and I suspect their esitmates might have been a little on the low side. But Martin did specify an auction estimate and with auctions you never know.

As to the capability of the hosts, Keith Martin is a very respected and savvy collector car expert. He usually gets pretty close to his pre-auction estimates, and sometimes he nails the selling price. Of course sometimes he misses wildly like he did on an all-original C2 L88 Corvette. But it sold for three times the auction estimate and set a new record for the model. As Martin said, the sale was a game-changer. More on Keith Martin here...
http://www.americancarcollector.com/about/keith-martin

Martin has offered positive comments on the NSX on more than one show.

I was asking in regards to them as an insurance company and how they are to work with vs. Say Grundy

billy,i have grundy and am very happy with it.i have agreed value coverage,which is one of the primary benefits of collector car insurance.the car has to be in a locked garage most of the time,and there are no mileage limits. it's under $300 a year,the previous crappier conventional coverage was about $600.

this is where i got it-
http://www.grundyworldwide.com/

Last edited:
Yes i've been talking to them quite a bit. Seems like very limited coverage, to the point where the car is only allowed for pleasure driving and car shows. So no coverage if you take the car to a relatives house, dinner, groceries, and dinner or groceries on the way home from a Car show is a very grey area if not covered at all...

Do you have haggerty/how are they?

I have Hagerty, total ripoff but the gold standard for collector car insurance. They insured the Zanardi for a fair agreed upon value, obviously they are in touch with the market.

Congrats! That's great to hear. Hope to catch the show sometime.

Grundy and Hagerdy offer insurance for true garage queens. At which point I decided it was cheaper to use my home insurance if something were to happen.

I remember talking to a rep... Asked him.. What if I stopped by Denny's on my way to a car show. Is it covered? Basically, the deviation in course path disqualified coverage. I'd have to lie and say I was lost or something. I was not willing to put myself through that level interrogation.

I have grundy.... and I think I better call or e mail them... because I sometimes actually "use the car"... maybe to go to the gym? or my mom's?

that's ridiculous.. I must say I DID NOT read the policy I have had for two years!!!

thanks for all the good words on the car/show!!!

I was at a bar/marine today not far from home today... and I guy yelled from a boat that he'd seen me on TV

I saw a yellow nsx featured on this show last week, although it might have been a rerun. Idiot host said he was penalizing for the "modifications" and pointed to the non OEM wheels. Owner responds, uhm, I can throw them on right now for you. It was pretty funny, host looked real stupid

I was mildly shocked last night when while randomly watching the show on my DVR, the yellow NSX appeared. It's pretty low-rent but I captured it on my iPhone. Better than nothing. :)

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cLQ-j14PTHg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

I have grundy.... and I think I better call or e mail them... because I sometimes actually "use the car"... maybe to go to the gym? or my mom's?

that's ridiculous.. I must say I DID NOT read the policy I have had for two years!!!

thanks for all the good words on the car/show!!!

I was at a bar/marine today not far from home today... and I guy yelled from a boat that he'd seen me on TV
Did you call? Did they drop you?

It is my understanding that if you went to the Gym or a relative's house and you had an accident, you would not be covered.

I have Grundy and this is news to me. I drive my car every other weekend at least because it's good for the car. When I talked to a rep, back when I purchased my policy, they just said the car had to be used primarily for special events, had to be kept in a locked garage, could not be used for commuting, and I had to also own a daily driver.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, here are the eligibility requirements from the Grundy web site:

Eligibility Requirements for Program
1. All vehicles must be used and maintained for hobby purposes and exhibition,
and not for racing, rallying, general transportation, or backup
transportation.
2. All household operators must have a different vehicle insured for daily use.
3. All vehicles must be garaged when not in use.
4. Youthful drivers, under the age of 25 are excluded.
5. No DUI within the last 3 years
6. No more than two moving violations.
7. Cobras, Porsches, and Ferraris require the potential insured to provide an
explanation of past driving experience with super high performance sports
vehicles and their state MVR submitted with the application.
8. All pick up trucks manufactured after 1964 must have a value of $10,000 or
more.
9. Corvettes, Porsches, Ferraris and other Exotics 1974 or newer are not
considered unless part of a “collection” of collector vehicles or are legitimate
collectable show cars (not show off cars).
10. Cobra replicas/kits and new (1967 or newer assembly date) must have a value
of $50,000 or more to insure.
Rating Exceptions
1. All single muscle/sports cars manufactured 1964 or newer should be quoted the
high performance rate if values are less than $15,000.
2. All modified/custom vehicles should be quoted the high performance rate if
values are less than $25,000. Regular rates apply for modified /custom vehicles if
values are $25,000 or higher.
3. All pick up trucks less than $25,000 in value are rated with high performance
rate.
4. California – all modified /high performance vehicles less than $25,000 take the
high performance rates. Vehicles 1960 or newer less than $10,000 take the high
performance rates.
5. New York – Vehicles 1960 or newer with values under $20,000 require the high
performance rate.

I will have to re-read my policy this evening to double-check. Number 7 (Porsches, Ferraris, and Cobras) is interesting.

Last edited:
I had Grundy with my NSX and you are allowed to drive it to dinner, mom's house, and most everywhere else except school, work, and errands. No mileage restrictions. I asked them what if my wife calls and asks for me to pick up a few things at the grocery store, and they said it is okay, as long as that wasn't your original destination. When my NSX was deemed non-repairable in November, Grundy paid me the full insured value no questions asked. However, they would not insure my Lotus that I just got. I insured with Hagerty and they had a lot more exclusions and hoops to pass through on where I could drive the car. I ended up dropping Hagerty and went with American Collector Insurance through USAA. They are $600 year cheaper than Hagerty with better limits. The restrictions are a little more confining than Grundy, but I had no other choice. Most of these insurance companies want you to drive and show the car off to friends and family. However, since they are newer vehicles they know that many owners will drive them more often. If you had a 1963 Corvette Split Window, you probably would be less likely to go to Denny's than in your 1991+ NSX.

Grundy is the collector/exotic car insurance company to go with. No if's, and's, or but's.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post! If you don't mind what was your agreed value and how was it to deal with them during the claim? Where were you driving to/from during the accident and did they ask?

I was told any day or overnight trips to relatives or grocery store or dinner on the way home from a car event would not be covered. I've asked numerous times with many different reps for CCI as well as to insure my daily drivers and Collected Car under one policy an they all said the same thing. But its rare to find someone who actually had to make a claim with Grundy.

I had Grundy with my NSX and you are allowed to drive it to dinner, mom's house, and most everywhere else except school, work, and errands. No mileage restrictions. I asked them what if my wife calls and asks for me to pick up a few things at the grocery store, and they said it is okay, as long as that wasn't your original destination. When my NSX was deemed non-repairable in November, Grundy paid me the full insured value no questions asked. However, they would not insure my Lotus that I just got. I insured with Hagerty and they had a lot more exclusions and hoops to pass through on where I could drive the car. I ended up dropping Hagerty and went with American Collector Insurance through USAA. They are $600 year cheaper than Hagerty with better limits. The restrictions are a little more confining than Grundy, but I had no other choice. Most of these insurance companies want you to drive and show the car off to friends and family. However, since they are newer vehicles they know that many owners will drive them more often. If you had a 1963 Corvette Split Window, you probably would be less likely to go to Denny's than in your 1991+ NSX.

Grundy is the collector/exotic car insurance company to go with. No if's, and's, or but's.
Good to know. I went with Grundy as well. $48K agreed value for $481 per year.

this week grundy told me

locked garage where ever you end up at night

car must not be considered your primary car... or the "back up car"

no errand running, but an occansional stop on the way/from to your mom's or friend house OK

NO TRACK DAYS!!!! Yipes!!!

NO Home depot.. her words not mine!!!

Back