• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My first Track Experience

Friday my wife and I took a Alan Berg Road Car Racing course. Eight hours of a combination of class instruction, road instruction and hot laps.
http://www.allenbergracingschools.com/

The course was held at the Edmonton Stratotech racing club. A short course with really only one straightaway. (1.7km in total length) http://www.stratotech.ca/

I hear from other owners about how the NSX is a great road course car and how people really love to track these cars. Well, I could not believe how well my 20 year old car performed up against some very current technology. Now this was a training course and not a race, driver talent plays a big part on how the results appear, but the NSX could keep up with everything out there except a couple of cars. An Audi RS4 and a 2011 Mustang Cobra GT. The rest, well lets just say the NSX held its own. I was able to pass a ZR1, two other vetts, a mustang and Ferrari 360. Again, the problem on the Ferrari was between the seat and the steering wheel. (but it felt good to pass a 360!)
Alan Berg, a former F1 driver and Sefan Wilson, an Indy Light driver were the instructors. Alan was particularly fond of the NSX. He called it the best road car ever built. Alan had raced against Senna in the '90s. He called my car a time capsule and told me with the right driver, tires and a bit of boost, nothing should ever beat a car of that caliper. He drives a Carra Twin Turbo and hates the inherent under-steer on the car.

It was great fun!... I learned a lot about tracking and about my car as well. It really has a lot of track clout.
My wife did very well too. She pushed the little S2000 to the limits and turned in some very impressive laps. She is a compulsive detailed person. I don't think she missed one apex point in 20 laps. No one could catch her in the corners. ( I may have created a track junky out of her!) :eek:

Last edited:
I was able to pass a ZR1, two other vetts, a mustang and Ferrari 320. Again, the problem on the Ferrari was between the seat and the steering wheel. (but it felt good to pass a 320!)

Well Id hope you could pass a lawn mower!!! :D

http://www.kilworthmachinery.co.uk/index.php?page=ferrari-320

Kidding! ;)

But seriously, I think that is a typo? There is no Ferrari 320 that I'm aware of. Did you mean 360 maybe?

Either way, great story and shows that for all of the talk these days about how "deficient" the NSX is, in stock form it's an incredible road racing car even today.

It was great fun!... I learned a lot about tracking and about my car as well. It really has a lot of track clout.
Congratulations Warren ! It's really too bad that you weren't able to squeeze this in last year so you could have done SMMR at NSXPO in Vegas. For me, the amazing thing is not just that the car is still competitive .. but that it is built to take it lap after lap... after 20 years. At SMMR, I drove my car in the novice class and then without even letting it cool down, my son took it out again in the intermediate class. So, in 2 days, it saw about 10 hours of "on the track going flat out" time. Other than the loss of tire tread, the only casualty was a set of brake rotors. ... priceless... the most fun you can have with your clothes on. And for a while I got to dice with an R8 who eventually let me by .. similar to your Ferrari "feel good" experience. Props for getting your wife to share the fun.

Well Id hope you could pass a lawn mower!!! :D

http://www.kilworthmachinery.co.uk/index.php?page=ferrari-320

Kidding! ;)

But seriously, I think that is a typo? There is no Ferrari 320 that I'm aware of. Did you mean 360 maybe?

Either way, great story and shows that for all of the talk these days about how "deficient" the NSX is, in stock form it's an incredible road racing car even today.

Yea, it was a 360, but I believe the driver was not that interested in really letting his car perform. (original post edited)

Alan was particularly fond of the NSX. He called it the best road car ever built. Alan had raced against Senna in the '90s. He called my car a time capsule and told me with the right driver, tires and a bit of boost, nothing should ever beat a car of that caliper.

Tires and a bit of boost? Wow that is a big statement considering the likes of the Porsche GT3, 458 Italia, etc.

BTW I think it is so awesome your wife is into track events :smile:

nice story,and with an interested spouse the track vacation possibilities abound.

Fun time, no doubt, and thanks for sharing your experience(s) by posting.
Well remember meeting you and wife at lunch, Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch clubhouse/NSXPO last fall!

I use to autocross and I loved it. But it was all cones... I would love to go out to a full race track! Very jealous!

Now get yourself a gopro and take video and have fun!!

I use to autocross and I loved it. But it was all cones... I would love to go out to a full race track! Very jealous!

Now get yourself a gopro and take video and have fun!!

If someone can tell me how to crop our videos, I could put our hot laps on youTube... I have not found anything that is free that would allow me to take the last 10 - 15 min off the end of our videos.

If someone can tell me how to crop our videos, I could put our hot laps on youTube... I have not found anything that is free that would allow me to take the last 10 - 15 min off the end of our videos.
What format are the videos currently in? I have PowerDirector and can probably help you even if it's in HD .. but the trick will be in getting the videos to me. Probably too big to email. PM or email me with the details.

if they're .mov files (like my apitek records) download quicktime, upgrade to pro, then use trim to selection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXixEoz-cGU

Last edited:
Geez, I can't even get my wife to play golf!:biggrin:

Sounds like you had a great time!

Fun! Like you, I had a very similar experience my first time and yes, passing a 360 is a GREAT feeling. My first track day was a big turning point in how much I spend on my car, I'm addicted now. :biggrin:

Not sure what format or camera you're using but with my gopro I use mpegstreamclip for editing. It supports H.264 and is free.

Geez, I can't even get my wife to play golf!:biggrin:

Sounds like you had a great time!

Actually this was her idea. We purchased this for each others 50th Birthday.

Here she is compete with STIG T-Shirt.

Attachments

• CIMG0015_crop.jpg
    CIMG0015_crop.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Stig2_crop.jpg
    Stig2_crop.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 72
Great post. Always fun to pass a newer, "better" car on the track.

Welcome to the addiction. :wink:

and kudos to your wife for joining you at the track.

Congratulations on your first outing, sounds like you had a blast! Not to burst your bubble but a 360 will out-brake, out-accelerate, and most probably out-handle an NSX with an equal driver... so he must have been taking it real easy. :wink: I have been killed by a stock 360 before in my NSX and there was no contest with the extra 100hp, brembo brakes, and balance that car possesses (cars are roughly the same weight). Now corvettes kills on the other hand, I can believe. :smile:

Congratulations on your first outing, sounds like you had a blast! Not to burst your bubble but a 360 will out-brake, out-accelerate, and most probably out-handle an NSX with an equal driver... so he must have been taking it real easy. :wink: I have been killed by a stock 360 before in my NSX and there was no contest with the extra 100hp, brembo brakes, and balance that car possesses (cars are roughly the same weight). Now corvettes kills on the other hand, I can believe. :smile:

actualy not ,with equal drivers and similar tires a close few laps, as the laps increased the nsx would pull away...surely the nsx would outlast the delicate 360......thats based on my own personal experience nothing more.

Like I said the 360 had a problem between the seat and the steering wheel.
It still felt good.

video:
part one is vetts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPeedSGvQ6k
part two is 360
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N8kqbcxInc

Last edited:
actualy not ,with equal drivers and similar tires a close few laps, as the laps increased the nsx would pull away...surely the nsx would outlast the delicate 360......thats based on my own personal experience nothing more.

Doc, it would pull away bc the 360 would break down? I hear they are the first of the more reliable ferraris, and there are a few out there w some decent miles on them (though not like NSX miles). Otherwise I just don't see the numbers adding up w an NSX in stock form especially w its wimpy brakes and huge power gap. Also from personal experience :)

the power gap is more prominant on paper, brakes....size dose'nt always matter:wink: Of course actualy driving on track with a good honest tracker in a 360 is rare, for me at least.I see and run with many more of the challenge cars.

the power gap is more prominant on paper, brakes....size dose'nt always matter:wink: Of course actualy driving on track with a good honest tracker in a 360 is rare, for me at least.I see and run with many more of the challenge cars.

Well I was referring to brake fade as well as brake torque produced ;) the power gap was pretty noticeable to me in person as well as on paper too, but I will agree to disagree w you doc!

Back