• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My First Vette Kill

I was driving down the freeway and a black (STOCK) Vette pulls next to me and he and his passenger grin at me... I have had only one other encounter with a ZO6 and it destroyed me starting at 70 mph down the freeway.

Well i remember the sick feeling I got when the ZO6 blew by me. I vowed I would get a BBSC supercharger so I would not feel the tail between the legs feeling again. okay back to the story(the c5 and I) are both going about 60 mph and I am in 5th gear and I down shift to 4th gear to get ready and decide I better go all the way to third to get a big boost... We are neck and neck for about one second and I feel the VTEC kicking in and I PULL away about a car length and a half away from him..This felt like the "NSX GOD reaching down and saying come on buddy you can do it."

I slow down about half a mile down the highway and the VETTE owner and passenger move a couple of lanes over and slow way down with nothing but shame all over there faces. Remember the scene in TOP GUN when the MIGS decide they better get the hell out of there... This felt the same except the fact it was two guys in a Vette who thought the NSX was easy prey... It made my Sunday....

Last edited:
Was it a ZO6 or a C5? Yes, you will need the FI for the ZO6, but the C5 can be had easy. However, you stock to stock, the NSX will not pull too far away from the C5.

I have beaten 3 C5s and a C4 from a stop and three freeway rolls. Save for the C4, all the C5s lost but held up good to 120mph, then I really pulled away. When you race a C5 from a stop, a car that has very similar number to the NSX in performance category, start out easy and not let your NSX goes sideway by giving too much gas. Let the tires grip, then bang it. On the freeway, from personal experience, they will lose to my car, and all I did was lightening up my car by about 90lbs and add an intake plus an exhaust - However, I still give up to them about 75hp. The ZO6 is a difference story though. It weighs less than the C5, better suspension, better tires and more hp.

Head and cam package in a C5, and it will kill almost any cars out there, including a ZO6. However, what is your chance of meeting a car that is more powerful than a ZO6 on a drive? Not much!

I drove my dads 2002 vette over the holidays. I must say, I think it would toast my nsx. It feels a lot faster. But I guess that is because of the tq. I would love to race him one day for the hell of it. I would actually be scared to take the vette on the racetrack because it would so easy to lose it downshifting and having all the torque explode at you..

Some NSXes, just like some Vettes, are stronger than others in stock form. i just wish I will be even more lucky next time when I pick up another NSX.

I was inform by Brian, who made this run that his car is not supercharged ok, do not confuse it with the statement about needing a Basch for a ZO6. His car is a 3.2 NSX, and a 3.2 NSX will beat the Vette nicely.

Last edited:
O-Ace said:
Nice kill :) And good thing I did a few mods to my C5 :D

-awais
]

O-ace how do you feel about Mallet's cars?
Are their horsepower ratings true?

len3.8 said:
]

O-ace how do you feel about Mallet's cars?
Are their horsepower ratings true?
I don't have any personal experience with Mallet, but from what I've heard from others, they are very good at tuning Corvettes for Road Racing. Most people who send their cars to Mallet don't want sheer power, but improved handling as well. Regarding the HP ratings, I'd say they're a reputable tuner so the numbers are probably true.

-awais

A few 3.0 will match the C5's speed - But not all.

When I had my 1991 NSX I put down 257WHP and I would be even with the c5 vet upto about 140 then I let off. but if you add 20-30HP I think you would pull bad. but my NSX did a 13.7 @ 104 if I am thinking right. 17/18 wheels

Psycnosis said:
When I had my 1991 NSX I put down 257WHP and I would be even with the c5 vet upto about 140 then I let off. but if you add 20-30HP I think you would pull bad. but my NSX did a 13.7 @ 104 if I am thinking right. 17/18 wheels

Must be one of the better X's of that year. I'm still suprised that with such tight/strict built specifications there is still some super NSX or weak NSX out of a given batch.

I did have a cat back and intake but sold it because it's too slow, put 3k in a evo and now it turns 12.00 @ 116 all day.

Zuerst said:
Must be one of the better X's of that year. I'm still suprised that with such tight/strict built specifications there is still some super NSX or weak NSX out of a given batch.

Yippee - another kill story, as if came from the Supra or S2K forum.

Yea, I agree that some NSX's pull stronger than others, even out of the same batch. For example. that thrashed Zanardi #8 at Mitsu dealership in Glendale CA pulled exceptionally hard for a stock 40kmiles abused car, even harder than my perfectly-maintained Z#50 with Comptech Airbox. It's interesting indeed that both Zanardi's are out of the same batch, only 41 other Zanardi's in between the 2. I've driven 2 other stock 3.2 -T's for comparison, but nothing this side of modded NSX comes close to matching what this Z #8 can do. Seat-of-the-pants feel told me that it can pull a 4.4 sec. 1/4 mile. Mind-boggling......

Last edited:
The Mallet cars are pretty good, but watch out for the DRM cars. Now those Z06's are set up for road racing!

I once saw this blue DRM Z06 turning sub 2:30's @ Road America. The driver was braking as deep as a CART car into 5. I wanted to meet the guy and tell him that he kicked ass and when I found the car in the paddock, out stepped a 70+ yr old man :eek: DAMN! That was inspirational to me.

T Bell said:
The Mallet cars are pretty good, but watch out for the DRM cars. Now those Z06's are set up for road racing!

I once saw this blue DRM Z06 turning sub 2:30's @ Road America. The driver was braking as deep as a CART car into 5. I wanted to meet the guy and tell him that he kicked ass and when I found the car in the paddock, out stepped a 70+ yr old man :eek: DAMN! That was inspirational to me.

Rippie car TBell? If so what color was the car?
I have a friend and he and his father both have the mallet cars, they both are pretty darn quick on the track.
Thanks
Len

Back