• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My NSX got Owned by EVO

Sorry guys but a few weeks ago I was driving north bound on the 5 freeway just passed the 405. The traffic was med and it was about 730 and the sun was going down. I was driving about 80 mph and in the distance of my rear view I could see this bright red car comming up pretty fast, as he drew close I could see a huge front mount intercooler, and he was tail-gating me like he was drafting, I mean any closer and he would have been in my trunk.
He stayed that close for about 7 seconds until I deceided to GO FOR IT.
So I downshift to 3rd gear and floor it. As soon as he saw/heard this he passed me like a GSX-R 1000 would pass me. I could see gauges and a FULL ROLL cage, his turbo was loud spooled very loud like those fully built single digit honda drag cars. The little speed contest lasted about 6-7 seconds by the time I shifted to 4th he was ahead of me so I let off. He slowed down to get beside me. I looked over with that grin, shrugged my shoulders and gave him the thumbs up. He in turn gave me the smile of victory and nodded, gave me the California peace sign and a thumbs up as well, then took the next exit.

I didnt have my NOS bottle in the car but even if i was squeezing I think it would have been a much closer race however I wouldnt count on that car losing with me on the bottle, he was pretty damn fast.

I dont encourage racing in the street but lets face it, sometimes when you get tested you have to accept the challenge and since my lane was pretty clear of traffic I went for it. Sorry that I lost this one.

Sounds like a heavy mod EVO. Don't feel bad, you should proud of your NA engine. :smile:

haha most evo's that are modified are in 'heavily modified'
just with a boost controller and a ecu flash, they pump out quite a bit of horsepower, add the cat-back and the turbo header and its even worse...
:biggrin: that being said its still a box on wheels =) (6 of my friends have these cars.... btw)

On my previous 03 evo I had full exhaust with cats, cams, and ecu. If that is considered heavy mods it ran mid to high 12's. Stock intake, turbo, IC and everything else :smile: My MR is pretty fast stock so still undecided about modding.

If you want to beat him you can always pass him after 150+ mph :wink:

Don't worry - I exacted sweet revenge for you against a friend of mine (bought my Evo, ECU reflash, intake, exhaust). The NSX (6psi CTSC, Taitec GTLW Exhaust, Intake) tears it up on anything but a launch (reminding me to upgrade the clutch on the '05).

Th Evo is a quick car, granted - but it just feels cheap as a daily driver.

Ryan

CarbonNSX - I agree with above comments. Good story, too. Must have
p-ss-d you off because it took some time to revisit the event for us. Don't blame you for that.... :frown:
In six months of ownership, I still giggle each time an envious EVO driver longingly looks my way. You all know what I mean.
Thumbs up for being a gamer! :wink:

Say "It's still a Lancer", that will crush their EVO Ego.

An EVO is for teenagers, an NSX is for gentlemen....

meh. dont feel bad. Know that you paid for looks and not for power.

EVO stock off the line would out do a stock NSX.

Gota catch them before turbo spools up but when it does you still lose.

I dont race anything i cant beat :biggrin: If its for the sake of a sprited drive, then ok im up for it, but if its a drag to win then thats that..... i just cruse cause i know i look better doing it :wink:

anything with a little more HP on the road can beat the NSX.

STI, EVO, Supra TT, AMG, GTO ( Dont mess with a GTO serious power ), vetts = no chance in hell.

We can only find confort in the fact that we got the hot little chicky and not the fugly house maden

How is the first generation evo doing now? Engine rebuild? Won't say the same for most of NSX. We don't cheat, we don't use turbos and we are still fast if not the fastest on the road. I would imagine if the evo would run fast without their turbos.

My car is an auto and at top speed I run as fast as an almost stock manual Supra TT and no, GTO is not fast (I've raced with my bro's 3000GT that is as heavy as a tank). Mods done on my car was only HKS intake and exhaust.

so you raced a GTO with your brother's 3000GT? or you think that a GTO is a 3000GT?

the 2005 GTO has 400hp and does 0-60 in 4.9 seconds...that is faster than a stock automatic or manual NSX.

hows using turbo's cheating...? it has more pick up and go power and that is the bottom line. We can dance around this all night but facts is facts. Im just telling the guy to not feel bad because he was out matched.

You cant run as fast as a supra top speed..... but Supra TT is better acceleration buy a lot. 4.9 for the supra and 5.6 sec for the NSX. Not sure how you make up for .7 of a second. Supra's 6 speed box is geared for silly acceleration on the first 3 gears. 60MPH is second gear at redline and top 6th gear is for top speed.

GTO puts out 400HP off the top of my head and can give a bolt on moded supra a run for its money.... with 4.8 on the new 2005... that sounds a little slow then what i remembered... anyways 3000GT VR-4 is no pansy car. That will school the NSX too.

97 is fastest 3000GT with at 4.8 seconds.

We bought the car for looks. Thats what i tell people when they say NSX is under powered and blah blah blah. I say, ya i know it is but you dont have one and i know you want one. When they start crying about how they dont want one i just walk away. You can lie to me but you cant lie to youself. I see the way they gock at my car :rolleyes: But on the flip side... i use to say the same too... NSX is over priced and under powered. I still got one but i knew why i got one. Cause it was one sexy machine. Lets not say that we bought the car for pure performance becuase there are so many other cars out there for a cut of the NSX price that will out match NSX for performance. The vette is a good example... but we dont like plastic, we want leather.

You are sure we are talking about the same GTO?

btw i want a skyline R34..... its the same story with the evo then, you can get a seriously moded evo that is faster but put a R34 and Evo besides eachother.... lol there is just no comparison.

Last edited:
zahntech said:
so you raced a GTO with your brother's 3000GT? or you think that a GTO is a 3000GT?

the 2005 GTO has 400hp and does 0-60 in 4.9 seconds...that is faster than a stock automatic or manual NSX.

I think he means the new Pontiac GTO.

Well, to save face for us all, i came up on an Evo minding my own business in SJ 280 towards the 101, he tried taunting, :rolleyes: so i said "LET'S GO" I dropped down to 3rd and left him easily! :eek: Then as I was starting to slow down, an 2005 M3 wanted to play, now i'm on 101 northbound. He paced me, we looked at each other, i dropped down to 3rd once again & left his as though he was just sitting there. :eek: I couldn't believe it, i thought he wasn't trying! So i slowed to let him pace me again, made confirmation with him again and dropped down to 3rd and next thing u know he's so far back by the time i look @ my speedometer, i'm hitting 150mph!!! :eek: He then finally caught up and gave me props!!! :biggrin: Did i mention i have CTSC, taitech exhaust, CT Headers, CT Intake, Cantrell AIS? Helps doesn't it? :biggrin:

RON98 said:
EVO stock off the line would out do a stock NSX.
Very strange, I have never driven a EVO or STI, however I have never lost to EVO or STI off the line,:confused:, I am just an average driver. For those who own both NSX and STI or Evo. What are your thoughts on MR launch vs AWD launch.

RON98 said:
anything with a little more HP on the road can beat the NSX.
STI, EVO, Supra TT, AMG, GTO ( Dont mess with a GTO serious power ), vetts = no chance in hell.
Depending on situations, off the line to 50mph, NSX should be able to do well against just about anything on the road.

0-60 is what counts.

0-50 is great cause we have the 8000 redline... we got 2000 more then most cars... :) but once our RPM advantage falls short... we are cooked

AWD you cant launch as hard cause you'll burn the clutch, you dont have to tho cause the grip the AWD has but the MR config also has a load of grip. Like you said, we can launch hard then milk the RPM to a point.

everyone says AWD should have the jump if done right. but not sure on a MR config. Definit jump on the FR layout.

on a side note.... not related ... well some what.

E55 AMG.... oh lordy.... the spankage that car deals out is increadable. If you see the E55 AMG badge, you been warned regardless of what you drive. :eek:

Corrections...

RON98 said:
... and 5.6 sec for the NSX...

That's the reported time for a NA1 3.0 automatic.

FYI:
Range of 0-60 times from tests
NA1 3.0 auto.: 5.6-5.8s
NA1 3.0 5spd.: 5.1-5.3s
NA2 3.2 6spd.: 4.6-4.8s

Basic "bolt-ons":
- Induction Intake-scoop & aftermarket Air filter = +6-7rwhp
- Cat-back exhaust, aftermarket = +10-12rwhp
- Header/manifolds, aftermarket = +11-13rwhp
- ECU-chip = +8-9rwhp

*Most stock NA1 3.0 5spd's dyno at: 237.5-242.5rwhp (270bhp)

Subjective insights based on r/l experience, ownership, and observations...

[Stock to stock!]

- NA1 3.0 5spd is more than competitive w/ C5's, 996 Carrera's, 355's, WRX's, EVO VII's, M3's, and the lower-end AMG's in staight-line perf.

- NA1 3.0 5spd is not upto the Z06's, Viper's, 996 GT3's, 360's, STi's, Evo VIII's, and the higher-end AMG's in straight-line perf.

- It's not worthwhile comparing MKIV Supra TT's, FD RX-7's, 3000GT VR4's, and 300ZX's that are not bone-stock.

:smile:

4.6.....thats a little too optimistic..... where you get that number in the first place? i dont think post guy has a 3.2L with the 6spd... acturally i dont think 99.5% of the people have the 3.2L, ie yourself with the 1991.

im not sure why we expect so much out of the NSX when it just wont put up the numbers? I drive a 92 NSX 5 speed and it is slow compaired to other cars i have owned but sure looks hell of alot quicker then those. Am i the only one seeing something for what it is or... is everyone else too blinded by the $ we spent on the cars to say that, hey we got the car for looks?

Objective perspective...

RON98 said:
4.6.....thats a little too optimistic..... where you get that number in the first place?

You're lucky I wasn't tryin' to be a showoff by posting 0-60 in 4.5s by a NA2 3.2 6spd! That was done by Car & Driver, and it's easily found not only in their archives, but also on a video-taped test. I omitted that number as it might've been an anomaly.

I'm not here to argue nor should you be. I've stated what I have stated, corrected errors that I noticed. You are being redundant now, like a broken record.

Weight reduction goes a long ways w/ the NSX. Use the "search" for some tips!
Also tires, maint/serv history, and a driver's skill level can be important factors in how a particular car performs. Remember, butt dyno is perception - not reality. The NSX's linear power band doesn't give the sudden rush felt on the seatback that other big-displacement sportscars or FI cars have.

I was talking about Mitsubishi GTO. I was racing my NSX with my bro's 3000GT that is manual. I forgot to mention that he has Borla straight exhaust, upgraded air intake, a rebuild transmission, OS Giken twin plate clutch and Tein coilovers. My bad. Pontiac GTO is a different beast.

Point I wanted to make was some people brag that their cars run faster than NSX. That's because they have turbos. I was tempted to put more power (FI), then I thought of the engine reliability and cost of maintenance. Made me change my mind.
RON98 said:

You are sure we are talking about the same GTO?

btw i want a skyline R34..... its the same story with the evo then, you can get a seriously moded evo that is faster but put a R34 and Evo besides eachother.... lol there is just no comparison.

Last edited:
Back