• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need some advise NSX vs. GT3 or GT3RS

A 997 GT3RS weighs just a tick over 3000lbs and is rated at 435hp, so you'd have to hit at least 300hp/ton to have the same straight line speed.

If you could get an NA1 down to NSX-R weight (2600-2700lbs IIRC) it would be a good start.

+1

The GT3 and the RS more-so is less of a question mark if you want to track the car hard with slicks or whatever. They're already dry sumped (so no oiling issues) and you can fit plenty of tire under them without worrying about rubbing anywhere. If I just wanted a speed implement, it's hard to beat a Porsche GT3. Just make sure and keep on top of the rear main seal...if that's even still a problem on the current generations.

I've spent enough time with a 996 GT2 to know that I prefer the way that my NSX (on KWV3s) rides and feels on the street. The seats are better, the ride is less harsh, and the steering is more tactile. The NSX also turns more heads when talking about the general public. If you don't know what a GT2/3 is, then it's just another Porsche with some stickers on it.
You can get V3s for the GT3 as well. As soon as you start putting monoballs and non compliance components in the NSX youre moving toward the harsher ride of the monoballed GT3.

So what exactly would it take to have a 20 year old NSX to compete with a GT3?

For the money you could pick up a nice 1991-1994 needing maintenance for about 26k. Here is what I would do(in theory) to compete.

A) Motor: you could go 3 ways here. Goal would be 400rwhp.
1) SC
2) Angus Turbo
3) Stroker with ITB's. (most money)

B) Suspension KW V3's, type S or Type R

C) Remove Spare tire, tool kit, Stereo, Engine hatch, 30lb battery, lighter wheels. Save 100lbs.

D) Brakes. Go big bucks brembo or stoptech or simply new slotted rotors and race pads. (last option cheep)

E) Clutch and light weight flywheel.

F) rear toe link thingees and front braces.

I think the above ideas can at least propell the NSX into a situation where the same driver on the same day on the same course could possibly turn in better numbers with the NSX. :confused::confused::confused:

Any other ideas? (Perhaps this reply should have been a new topic all together)
It needs the NSX-R aero and downforce, bigger brakes are a must, and i would say 450whp is needed along with wide R-comps. And probably the Na2 ABS system.

A 2002 would be a much closer starting point but loses the rigidity of the earlier coupes.

what about... what about... an 05 with a CTSC, KW competitions, stoptech BBK and 200 pounds of weight reduction? with R aero AND in silverstone?

what about that?

huh? huh?

LOL

I've had the fortune to drive a GT3 RS, but not on the track. I can safely say that you need to have some real driving talent/experience + a track to explore the differences in limits we're talking about between a modestly modded NSX and GT3. About the only substantial difference you'll see on the street between a non-FI NSX and a GT3 is how quickly it'll catch and pass you on the highway. The GT3's limits are huge. Unless you like jail you'll never push the envelope in that car on public roads. Drive both and determine which is the more *rewarding* and *fun* to drive on the street, not which is ultimately the fastest (unless you're a serious track amateur or a pro like stuntman).

What about a modified Zanardi with Type-R suspension, chassis bars, aero, minor weight reduction, Comptech SC?
I dont think the CTSC alone will be enough to match or preferably exceed the GT3s 450bhp consistently. It also needs competent tires and if more than 1 lap matters, it needs brakes.

I've had the fortune to drive a GT3 RS, but not on the track. I can safely say that you need to have some real driving talent/experience + a track to explore the differences in limits we're talking about between a modestly modded NSX and GT3. About the only substantial difference you'll see on the street between a non-FI NSX and a GT3 is how quickly it'll catch and pass you on the highway. The GT3's limits are huge. Unless you like jail you'll never push the envelope in that car on public roads. Drive both and determine which is the more *rewarding* and *fun* to drive on the street, not which is ultimately the fastest (unless you're a serious track amateur or a pro like stuntman).
I agree. DRIVE them and decide. Said mods will be in the ballpark of a GT3 or slightly better but can you take full advantage of either? Can you even drive the car near the limits to feel the joy and balance of either?

What about a modified Zanardi with Type-R suspension, chassis bars, aero, minor weight reduction, Comptech SC?

Nobody should mod a Zanardi - that's downright sacriidge!

All this stuff about modded NSXs vs GT3s is so crazy. Like Bfrank says - can you explore the limits of either? Do you have the talent - is this a "show off" car? I mean most folks even if they are track guys - really don't get the chance to drive em to their limits. How much track time does the OP have anyway?

There is no comparison between a GT3 and a naturally aspirated NSX - but if you do most of your driving on the street then it's just whichever you like to be in. Have you been to the dealer to drive the Porsche? If not just go would ya....I mean come on - you've owned an NSX- right - then you ought to know that you can't test drive any of this "advice"! So go to your nearest Porsche dealer and then get back with us. Cause ultimately it's your decision and it's all by the seat of the pants as to what you're gonna like.

I appreciate all these opinions and we all love cars. We'd all love to be in your position with the ability to just walk into the Dealer and start negotiating the sale of a new GT3 so enough already - and no I didn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I'd like to hear what YOUR impressions are of a new GT3. So go drive one and get back to us- ok - is that really too much to ask?

Listen - as soon as you drive one you'll be able to answer your own question! Call me silly, call me stupid, call me an "AH", but something tells me that the minute you get behind the wheel of one of the greatest cars ever built, the GT3, you'll have just an "inkling" of an idea what you're going to do - ok. Trust me on this one.....:wink:

Flame suite on.....:biggrin:

I feel flames and heat coming my way :biggrin: I got my NSX and Buick Grand National because they are exclusive/rare (if in great condition like mine:wink:) versus a Porsche or Corvette where they are all over the place. Perspective since the Porsche 911 body style has been around a lifetime.

So my gig is to have a car you do not see on the street so someone kid says "what car is that?" versus "hey nice Porsche, looks similar to one I saw the other day".

Nobody should mod a Zanardi - that's downright sacriidge!

All this stuff about modded NSXs vs GT3s is so crazy. Like Bfrank says - can you explore the limits of either? Do you have the talent - is this a "show off" car? I mean most folks even if they are track guys - really don't get the chance to drive em to their limits. How much track time does the OP have anyway?

There is no comparison between a GT3 and a naturally aspirated NSX - but if you do most of your driving on the street then it's just whichever you like to be in. Have you been to the dealer to drive the Porsche? If not just go would ya....I mean come on - you've owned an NSX- right - then you ought to know that you can't test drive any of this "advice"! So go to your nearest Porsche dealer and then get back with us. Cause ultimately it's your decision and it's all by the seat of the pants as to what you're gonna like.

I appreciate all these opinions and we all love cars. We'd all love to be in your position with the ability to just walk into the Dealer and start negotiating the sale of a new GT3 so enough already - and no I didn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I'd like to hear what YOUR impressions are of a new GT3. So go drive one and get back to us- ok - is that really too much to ask?

Listen - as soon as you drive one you'll be able to answer your own question! Call me silly, call me stupid, call me an "AH", but something tells me that the minute you get behind the wheel of one of the greatest cars ever built, the GT3, you'll have just an "inkling" of an idea what you're going to do - ok. Trust me on this one.....:wink:

Flame suite on.....:biggrin:

Thanks Tim,

I am not in the position to be able to do that as I am currently residing in Afghanistan. The one thing I have learned with Prime is that you can always get great advice and/or honest opinions. I believe that Prime differs from most forums for this very reason. Yes, we are all a little biased as the NSX is a awesome car.

I also know that Prime has always had a wide variety of car owners, so I am truly trying to get opinions on what I should do before either spending a small fortune on modding another NSX or pulling the trigger on what looks to be a very fun car.

I will admit that I am no Stuntman when it comes to driving on four wheels. Two wheels is a little different story though. Based on your opinions I will be buying a car unseen nor test driven. Yes, I truly trust fellow X owners that much. None have steered me in the wrong direction before and I doubt that will start now. Just FYI, I am not quite doing well enough to buy new. Besides, just as the case with all cars; the thought of the depression makes me sick. Buying a $150K car and three to four years later it is worth $100k. Eggggh!! I know it is with all cars or purchases. I swear getting older sucks!!! A few years ago and I would lived off cup-o-noodles and just figured out a way to get both.

Last edited:
Thanks Tim,

I am not in the position to be able to do that as I am currently residing in Afghanistan. The one thing I have learned with Prime is that you can always get great advice and/or honest opinions. I believe that Prime differs from most forums for this very reason. Yes, we are all a little biased as the NSX is a awesome car.

I also know that Prime has always had a wide variety of car owners, so I am truly trying to get opinions on what I should do before either spending a small fortune on modding another NSX or pulling the trigger on what looks to be a very fun car.

I will admit that I am no Stuntman when it comes to driving on four wheels. Two wheels is a little different story though. Based on your opinions I will be buying a car unseen nor test driven. Yes, I truly trust fellow X owners that much. None have steered me in the wrong direction before and I doubt that will start now. Just FYI, I am not quite doing well enough to buy new. Besides, just as the case with all cars; the thought of the depression makes me sick. Buying a $150K car and three to four years later it is worth $100k. Eggggh!! I know it is with all cars or purchases. I swear getting older sucks!!! A few years ago and I would lived off cup-o-noodles and just figured out a way to get both.

I can understand what you are saying about depreciation. I would like to buy a LP 560 but I can't afford to lose 50K on depreciation in 2-3 years. The maintenance doesn't bother me it's the depreciation that costs more than the maintenenace. I love the GT3 but I'm not crazy about a car that has looked so familiar for what seems like an eternity. It is a GREAT car though !

If you want a really fast car with little depreciation, another to seriously look at is a GT-R.

The thing with an NSX is... you can sell all your mods used for quite a bit. There is a really healthy market for aftermarket parts here. Everything sells. Used CTSC? no problem. Used KW V3's? no problem. Used BBK? No problem. Buy quality parts and people want them and are willing to pay you a very fair price as long as the part is not junk.

So you put the car back to stock, sell all the parts, and if you have bought an 05 NSX and kept it in good shape... you're going to get quite a bit of money for it.

When you take all this stuff into consideration, it is very very tough to beat an NSX for what it delivers in terms of fun, rarity, style, speed, and low cost of ownership. I don't know of a single other car that does it better. If you do, then tell me what.

If you want a really fast car with little depreciation, another to seriously look at is a GT-R.

The thing with an NSX is... you can sell all your mods used for quite a bit. There is a really healthy market for aftermarket parts here. Everything sells. Used CTSC? no problem. Used KW V3's? no problem. Used BBK? No problem. Buy quality parts and people want them and are willing to pay you a very fair price as long as the part is not junk.

So you put the car back to stock, sell all the parts, and if you have bought an 05 NSX and kept it in good shape... you're going to get quite a bit of money for it.

When you take all this stuff into consideration, it is very very tough to beat an NSX for what it delivers in terms of fun, rarity, style, speed, and low cost of ownership. I don't know of a single other car that does it better. If you do, then tell me what.

This is really a good post Turbo - you put it all very succinctly. The maintenance issue regarding the NSX is the main reason I bought it years ago - even though I am now NSXless. I would have bought a Carrera 4S 996 version but I know way too much about them - the IMS and RMS issues plague that model and even the 997 - except for the GT3 or GT2 - those engines are completely different from the regular line up. They are the real deal and you can put miles on them. Heck, the issues with the normal Carrera are overblown I admit but 5% or 10% of the cars being effected is a bit of a Russian roulette game and too much for me cause I just know I'll be the one that gets hammered - just my own paranoia.

I have a friend that put 180k miles on a 99 Carrera and didn't sell it till it started mixing water and oil. Good reason and he did do an RMS replacement - he now drives a Passat - go figure. I digress.

The point I'm trying to make here is that if you are looking at a used GT3 - their prices have held up pretty well and with most Porsches the best way to buy them is to wait till they depreciate to about 50% of their value and then step in. You won't get too badly hurt - with a GT3 that is. The other ones may not depreciate too much either but you do run a risk.

As to maintenance - well there is not a whole lot more maintenance with a well maintained GT3 over a well maintained NSX. I mean let's be a little honest - granted I did buy a 20 year old one - a 91 - and sunk 6k in the car over 2 years - that's a lot of money but the car had 43K miles on it! If I had bought a later model - I still would have put some maintenance dollars in it too, unless I got real lucky or I paid top dollar.

You pay top dollar for either car and with records from the right owner the maintenance isn't going to be a lot more with the GT3. Granted tires are more cause they are a whole lot bigger and wider - that's a disposable item - oil and filters - and keeping up with the brakes and rotors *the only other big expensive maintenance item cause when they go after about 50k - they both have to be replaced. The NSX will go forever on a set of rotors - not so with the 911. That's considered another semi disposable item, but the brakes on a stock GT3 are vastly superior to the NSX!

Other than those things well you may have some sensor go out or something like that but when you get to maintaining a 911 GT3 - go to the Rennlist and start reading the posts there. They have a hell of a good site too - not as friendly and warm as ours - different kind of people - but very informative and helpful none the less. That's where you'll find the info you really need to make this decision - but our friend and fellow primer that has 2 911s and an NSX could shed some light here as well.

You mention taking off the items you put on - like the CTSC- to get most of your dollars back - well maybe so - but we're talking a car that someone intends to own a long time - I presume. O1a4man would have to tell us what his intentions are here - but over a long period the Porsche will surely cost you more on just straight up maintenance maybe but when you start factoring in buying SCs and a bunch of other things to make the NSX a super performer I'm not so sure. You will loose something on the parts you take off if you ever do and then there's the labor to do it.

I could go on but I think here for the sake of this discussion our poster has to do a couple of things - drive both cars - sit down and really think about how much a good specimen NSX he wants to start with will cost and then add on the parts and come to a total. Then look at a used GT3 - and if he finds a good speciman it's going to be a toss up as to money and actually I believe if you look at used vs used - the 911 GT3 will be cheaper!

Check this out just for the sake of the discussion:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?...&_osacat=6001&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313

The other thing no one mentions is that the NSX didn't come with an SC - now you can drive one with SC or TC but the only "blow up" stories you hear about are SCd or TCd NSXs. Nothing wrong with them but I'd still have to know a hell of a lot about a car that had one on it, even if taken off, before I'd buy it. Just the fact that an NSX has had one on it deters some buyers and that's just the way it is.

On the other hand a GT3 is naturally aspirated - is a no shit race engine specifically designed "strong like bull" by the race division and it's just a great car all by itself with no mods - no brake mods, no engine exhaust mods, no wheel mods - all ready to go just the way it came from the factory.

Now I like both car manufactureres and both make a great car - I don't need the mods to get me pumped but if you are looking for more performance in a stock vehicle, then there is no comparison. The GT3 is just more car! If you are just looking for a cool ride - either one will do. You want to step up - go ahead - the GT3 will still be worth a good bit if you buy it right - hell drive it a few years get the experience and then sell it and come back to the NSX....what's the harm in that and then you get to experience a different machine and man the GT3 would be a GREAT experience for a performance minded individual. If you could buy a 2008 GT3 for 75k - I mean come on man - instead of buying a late model NSX and modding it - it's a damn no brainer boys. NO BRAINER! The GT3 wins hands down!

Now you read this one and think about it and follow the link I posted here and make your own decision. This puts it right down there for you 01a4man.

Epistle #51 - over and out....:wink:

Time is money. Labor (to do said work) is money. At the end of the day you will lose on a modded NSX.

I like the GTR idea. Maybe consider that! -Better ride quality than GT3, just as fast if not faster than GT3, easy to drive and unique looking.

Time is money. Labor (to do said work) is money. At the end of the day you will lose on a modded NSX.

I like the GTR idea. Maybe consider that! -Better ride quality than GT3, just as fast if not faster than GT3, easy to drive and unique looking.

Like with house or anything elese that you want 'custom' best thing to do is to buy a car that has all the mods you want already on it. Otherwise you need to be prepared to write 2K - 10K checks for each complete mod you want to put on.

Unless you have a very close relationship with DA, Autowave or SOS, a modded NSX will never match the engineering that goes into a GT3. Hard for us to swallow, but it just won't. Most shops are happy to charge you "100 / hr" inflated SHOP TIME and try and make you feel like they are doing you a favor by slapping on a bbk, a turbo, and ame unit that doesn't pass emissions, and when you come back in a few thousand miles with an issue - it's your fault mentality.

Here's the bottom line - a modded NSX is not the same as a GT3RS imo. Not even close. You can get that "special feeling" by getting laid, and you'll have a better shot at getting laid by a 18+ beautiful woman with the GT3. The NSX has sex appeal to boys.

Last edited:
and you'll have a better shot at getting laid by a 18+ beautiful woman with the GT3. The NSX has sex appeal to boys.

LOL... as the thread goes down the toilet... I have to say... THIS IS NOT TRUE. Last girl I went out with, spokesmodel for a fairly famous company... we start talking about things and coversation rolls around to her car, and how she had this Honda before her Lexus and loved it... then to my car, then suddenly screams "OMG YOU HAVE AN NSX??". I thought she was mistaking it for an RSX or a TSX but no... sure enough... tells me how she had driven one to 140 or something and how much she loves the car.

Girl before that... same thing. Loved the NSX and KNEW the car!!

I was at a party recently and the owner had a 997 Turbo CABRIO, and all anyone wanted to do there was talk and look at the NSX.

I'm not saying a stock '91 with a warped lip and fat fives has the same appeal as a GT-3. But a NICE NSX like synth's or Oscar's or any number of well done ones here has a lot more mojo than another gray 911 with a BAW on the back.

Last edited:
If the NSX goes down in this thread I'm going with it... swinging...

Chris, just trying to entertain you a little brother... figured you can use a laugh or two while in a war zone.

If the NSX goes down in this thread I'm going with it... swinging...

Chris, just trying to entertain you a little brother... figured you can use a laugh or two while in a war zone.

Your doing a good job trying to hang on. I love the NSX - its a great car we all know that and there are several owners here that have awesome cars - we know that too. But when it comes to comparing adding on mods to an NSX vs buying a car that has it built in at the factory - it's just all about modern technology and a company that didn't stand still. Porsche's GT3 is the car that wins this battle but the NSX lives on and is a super car in its own right!

When you look at the NSX, it's just an beautiful one of a kind. The NSX has nothing to be ashamed about at all - it's just that in the race world or track world the GT3 is ahead in this particular comparo.

It's a great thing that we live in such a time that all these cars are available to us. We can drive them all that's awesome!

LOL... as the thread goes down the toilet... I have to say... THIS IS NOT TRUE. Last girl I went out with, spokesmodel for a fairly famous company... we start talking about things and coversation rolls around to her car, and how she had this Honda before her Lexus and loved it... then to my car, then suddenly screams "OMG YOU HAVE AN NSX??". I thought she was mistaking it for an RSX or a TSX but no... sure enough... tells me how she had driven one to 140 or something and how much she loves the car.

Girl before that... same thing. Loved the NSX and KNEW the car!!

I was at a party recently and the owner had a 997 Turbo CABRIO, and all anyone wanted to do there was talk and look at the NSX.

I'm not saying a stock '91 with a warped lip and fat fives has the same appeal as a GT-3. But a NICE NSX like synth's or Oscar's or any number of well done ones here has a lot more mojo than another gray 911 with a BAW on the back.
sorry, but the NSX is a guy magnet. Women were more interested in my older BMW than my NSX.

And I doubt the OP would want to get a 1991 NSX, I know I wouldn't. If I was considering a 100K car, I'd want a low milage new NSX. He doesn't want a project car.

:mad: Somebody hates 1991s...

sorry, but the NSX is a guy magnet. Women were more interested in my older BMW than my NSX.

True story. The girl I was with at the time knew about the NSX, but not much (and didn't cared). I would leave her apartment and drive two blocks down UT's strip and get all kinds of exclamations from dudes saying "NSX!".

Chicks like Beeeeemers, Jeeps, lifted trucks, and cute cars (for themselves, not you). The Porsche shield probably helps your game too, but the NSX does not.

I don't hate 1991's at all. In fact that was the first year, the purest form, stiffest chassis, best streering, etc. I am just saying if it's STOCK, it definitely looks dated with those wheels, thin exhaust pipes, high ride height, etc. A few mods and it can look very modern. You can't put a stock older NSX next to a GT-3 and say that it looks as modern. It doesn't. And there is a big difference in terms of looks between say... Synth19's NSX, and Mike-san's NSX (who doesn't even wash his car). There is no hate for 91's at all, I love them and even the parts that give it an old school look. But we are a minority.

Last edited:
I just edited my post because I went on ebay and looked at what you can get for 75K in a GT-3. I am shocked... LOL...

Still like my NSX better. Guess I'm crazy.

I just edited my post because I went on ebay and looked at what you can get for 75K in a GT-3. I am shocked... LOL...

Still like my NSX better. Guess I'm crazy.

Your not alone.... I ( being a dealer) have driven SO MANY CARS I seriously can not find anything that has the Soul, resale, driveability,reliability,feeling as an NSX.

I respect the hell out of GT3's But I just do not see them as a driver. They are a track car that you can drive on the street. They are incredible for what they were built for.... The track. But for a unique, rare, drivers car that you don't have to spend 10k a year on the NSX is just the one for me. I have had countless chances to own all kinds of cars but in 11-12 years I can not stop with my NSX passion. I think they are all around one of the best cars in the world. :wink:

Back