• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need some advise NSX vs. GT3 or GT3RS

I've said it before but often I get excited about another car. Then I go to drive, I open the door, I sit inside. I see this high dash, high door sills, and long hood. And feel like someone just opened a giant can and dropped me in there with a steering wheel and gas pedal. And I look around and think... well this sucks... LOL... and from there the car has to do all this stuff to fight this shitty driving position.

Take the awesome GT-R for example. I got in, I was high up, big door, high roof, big hood, felt like I was captaining a ship rather than being in a Go-Kart which is the feeling I get when I am in very few cars... the NSX, a Miata, a Cooper (only those have no balls or exotic nature). This one thing: DRIVING POSITION. I am in love with the NSX's, and I can't seem to find it elsewhere. It is worth a lot to me. Even though a 911 is rear engine, it still doesn't have it.

Sadly, I think the NSX and a handful other non-front engined cars are the last of a breed with awesome cab-forward visibility --- new pedestrian crash safety standards...

Sadly, I think the NSX and a handful other non-front engined cars are the last of a breed with awesome cab-forward visibility --- new pedestrian crash safety standards...

Well said, and I agree. The visibility from the cabin of the NSX is magnificent.

I've said it before but often I get excited about another car. Then I go to drive, I open the door, I sit inside. I see this high dash, high door sills, and long hood. And feel like someone just opened a giant can and dropped me in there with a steering wheel and gas pedal. And I look around and think... well this sucks... LOL... and from there the car has to do all this stuff to fight this shitty driving position.

Take the awesome GT-R for example. I got in, I was high up, big door, high roof, big hood, felt like I was captaining a ship rather than being in a Go-Kart which is the feeling I get when I am in very few cars... the NSX, a Miata, a Cooper (only those have no balls or exotic nature). This one thing: DRIVING POSITION. I am in love with the NSX's, and I can't seem to find it elsewhere. It is worth a lot to me. Even though a 911 is rear engine, it still doesn't have it.
Might be semantics but i would call your complaint of outward visibility than driving position. To me driving position is seat bottom recline, seat back recline, relative to pedal, shifter, and steering position.

Fwiw most racecars out there sit the driver so low that their line of sight barely clears the dash. You would probably hate the outward visibility in the FXMD NSX -I sit that low in it.

and Mike-san's NSX (who doesn't even wash his car). There is no hate for 91's at all, I love them and even the parts that give it an old school look. But we are a minority.

FYI Dave, mine's a 1993 and I keep it dirty in order to match my thoughts. On a related note, besides still maintaining the stock 1990's executive onboard telephone, I was in the Apple shop today looking for my first i-pod. Lo and behold, they sell an adapter that is basically a cassette which plugs in the i-pod into the car's sound system via the stock cassette head unit. Rock on !!!

I was in the Apple shop today looking for my first i-pod. Lo and behold, they sell an adapter that is basically a cassette which plugs in the i-pod into the car's sound system via the stock cassette head unit. Rock on !!!

LOL... Dude if it was someone else I'd say they are joking for sure... you? I don't know.

BTW it is called the apple STORE not "apple shop". Apple shop is where you get jams and pies.

LOL... Dude if it was someone else I'd say they are joking for sure... you? I don't know.

BTW it is called the apple STORE not "apple shop". Apple shop is where you get jams and pies.

Do you think that a guy who has this much vinyl would joke about such a thing ? (How in the hell does that place make any money ? They must of had about 30 employees in there...Oh wait, their products are kind of popular right ? )

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 343
I'm just curious but what does this and the last page have to do with the original post? It has drifted far away from what the OP was asking - it's funny - pies and apples and ipod adapters and something about cab forward, oh, and by the way the new 911 is more cab forward - just thought some might want to know that as a side bar. While we wait for the next NSX to come - kind of like those that sit on top of Stone Mountain here in GA periodically waiting for the end of the earth. :rolleyes:

It is refreshing to an extent that this kind of post rouses everyone to come out in support of the NSX and hey isn't that what we should expect anyway! This is NSX Prime after all. When you think of the veiw out the windscreen - it is great - one of the things I miss the most about not having mine anymore. One day there will be another....:wink:

But, hey, where is the OP anyway??? Is he reading well at least some of this....

I owned my NSX for 6 years and have had my 996 GT3 for 4 now. I modded my NSX and have tracked both, taken both on cruises and used them around town. Even with a new suspension that was tuned upon installation, the NSX is completely different than a GT3. Both are suitable for use on the track or around town, but the GT3 is not a cruiser. In fact you'll have to track it to see what it can do.

I would say that while the NSX is more exotic and gets more eyeball, and is easier to drive, the performance of a GT3 is an order of magnitude above the NSX. (insert comments about turbo chargers, jet propulsion and crazy mods to an NSX here) Porschefiles will know what your car is, but that's it. No one will look twice. That's fine with me. But people in the know will give you mad respect for your new Porsche. I find the 996 GT3 drivers get some extra respect at the track because the car has no driver nannies or aids. It will kill you if you ask it to.

I was at the same crossroads as you are. My NSX was fantastic, but I was looking at spending another $20k upgrading it. It made no sense to me. So I sold it and bought the GT3.

You won't get bored of a GT3. Trust me. It will take some time to get used to however. They drive very differently, but I have to say I like mine more and more the longer I own it.

Ultimately the NSX makes you a better driver than you might be. The GT3 will show exactly what kind of driver you are.

PS. I agree that the 996 GT3's rarity will make it more special as time goes on. Truely one of the greatest 911s of all time. If you go with a GT3, you can make it into a RS fairly easily if you want to.

Well said, couldn't have said it better myself.

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.c...e-from-powered-up-jeremy-and-the-nissan-gt-r/

Yes, even the GT2 couldn't out corner the GT-R thanks to the terrible engine position.....

Batman see above. Also on the topic of the GT-R and Motor Trends best 'drivers car', anybody that knows and has driven a new R35 know this:

Insane performance for $$ but it is not involving or drivers car. The car makes you look like a super hero, while cars like the Z06, Lotus, Porsche show you what kind of driver you are. Get it right, and it's pure driving Nirvana.

Ideally, the perfect 2 cars (for me in my garage) would be something along the lines of:

NA1 91ish NSX (or cross fingers Zinardi)
996 GT3 (because NA never got the RS ver in the 996)

Last edited:
Well I am at the point where I am putting feelers out there to sell my NSX. Having three fun cars has become a bit of a burden (first world problem eh?). Plus my back is not great any longer and the NSX sits so low that it is becoming a bit of a struggle to get in and out of. I want to keep the old Carrera and I want to eventually track the GT3. The NSX has about 17,000 miles now and if anyone has any interest let me know.

Well I am at the point where I am putting feelers out there to sell my NSX. Having three fun cars has become a bit of a burden (first world problem eh?). Plus my back is not great any longer and the NSX sits so low that it is becoming a bit of a struggle to get in and out of. I want to keep the old Carrera and I want to eventually track the GT3. The NSX has about 17,000 miles now and if anyone has any interest let me know.

Fix the problem...back?

The NSX is one of those cars your regret selling. Tell us more about the Porsches!

I think GT3 is a wonderful car, one of the last true analog cars that is rewarding to drive with the awesome Mezger engine. I will sell my 997 Turbo to buy a gt3 rs, but not my NSX.

I'm just curious but what does this and the last page have to do with the original post? It has drifted far away from what the OP was asking - it's funny - pies and apples and ipod adapters and something about cab forward, oh, and by the way the new 911 is more cab forward - just thought some might want to know that as a side bar. While we wait for the next NSX to come - kind of like those that sit on top of Stone Mountain here in GA periodically waiting for the end of the earth. :rolleyes:

It is refreshing to an extent that this kind of post rouses everyone to come out in support of the NSX and hey isn't that what we should expect anyway! This is NSX Prime after all. When you think of the veiw out the windscreen - it is great - one of the things I miss the most about not having mine anymore. One day there will be another....:wink:

But, hey, where is the OP anyway??? Is he reading well at least some of this....

Ha!,

OP is still here and has an 05 LBBP NSX now. I missed mine too much and the GT3, while one HELL of a car, just wasn't for me.

DXD,

I sent you a PM

Not sure if you made a decision yet but let me put a few things into perspective for you:

a) Modifying or should I say repair/service on a GT3 is far greater than the cost of mods to the NSX if you look at the big picture. If you plan to track the car, go with the GT3, otherwise get the NSX since honestly I think you will get much more enjoyment. With some key mods (CTSC, suspension, exhaust, bucket seats) it puts the NSX within 80-90% of the GT3's realm, that's my 2 cents.

b) I gave up my almost new GT3 to pickup the NSX since we were short on garage space plus it's kinda redundant to have too many 2-seater sport cars. I never looked back or regretted the decision. Although slower the NSX "feels" more exotic because of it's driving position and mid-engine. Just goes to show you 290hp can be more fun than 400+hp!

c) GT3 is like an e46 m3 on steroids. It's fast as hell and the motor really sings at high RPM. However there's a few things that keep it from being a daily driver such as the front nose overhang is quite long meaning you will scrape everything. The car is not that much lower than the NSX but it's nose is much longer. We took it on a drive from Portland to Carmel and it was one amazing drive. The car handles really well as expected but be ready to deal with the very rough ride. I have never driven the NSX on that route but plan to someday.

Also keep in mind the GT3 went through some changes. Mine was a 2008 so prior to the face life so I'm glad I sold it back in 08. If you plan to get one try to pickup a 2010+ as it's got the newer LED tails and center locking wheels. Porsche makes great cars so you really can't go wrong with a GT3. If I was in the market for a 110k+ car, I would seriously look at the v10 R8. That is a car that I still have dreams about getting rid of the NSX for someday.

G'luck in your decision!

here's a picture of 2 of my favorite "driver's" cars ~ on the econo side the s2000 with a CTSC is hard to beat!

Back