• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX owner, a few questions...

Hey guys! Just recently purchased my DREAM car, a 1993 BB NSX 5mt, with 53000 on the clock. Had an 01 s2k for better part of 5 years, an ap2 for a short time after that, and then recently a 08 350z HR. I love the car, and drove it a good 300 miles back to my home state afterwards with no issues. I did a pretty thorough inspection before hand, and am extremely happy with the car. Some things after a week of ownership I am starting to notice, and not sure if I am being paraniod or what, and was hoping some of you guys could help me out-
1. Slightly... "lumpy" at idle? Sounds like a dumb word when referring to a Honda, but it would almost sound like it is "missing" runs great at idle and little to no vibration. I know the 60k service was done 2 years ago, with spark plug change and all that, so I was curious if this is just a characteristic of the engine.
2. vibration at or around 1500 rpm. Not earth shattering, but the first time I felt it I looked behind me because i thought their was someone with two 18's bumping. As soon as I accelerate to around 1800-2000, vibration pretty much dissapears. (correction- just went out and revved it some while in neutral- barely any vibration at idle, pretty decent vibration up until 2500 ish)

Thanks for your help guys, I am taking it in in two weeks to have TB/WP/Crank pulley/valves adjusted, along with radiator flush, etc. and wanted or make sure their wasn't anything else I needed to do, or if these things are normal. Thanks

Adrian

Last edited:
When I first got my '92, I had the same question. According to the mechanics I'd spoken with and numerous comments on Prime, it is normal to have that funny idle in that rpm range. If I recall correctly, I believe that someone indicated that it had something to do with theearly v-tec system(?) If the vibration goes beyond that rpm range , it could be another issue, such as a real misfire or loose motor mount bolts.

When I first got my '92, I had the same question. According to the mechanics I'd spoken with and numerous comments on Prime, it is normal to have that funny idle in that rpm range. If I recall correctly, I believe that someone indicated that it had something to do with the early v-tec system(?) If the vibration goes beyond that rpm range , it could be another issue, such as a real misfire or loose motor mount bolts.

Yea, I have done some searching myself and am coming to the same conclusion. A misfire could be.. improperly gapped spark plug? The engine runs strong, pulls hard, and pretty much after 2500 rpm's the vibration is gone. Hmmm, I'll just lay low on it until I get it into Acura to get my services done, luckily my dealership still has a NSX tech floating around. Any other advice/experiences would be awesome to hear

Last edited:
http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141577

Check out this previous thread about the inherent idle characteristics of V6 engines with 90 degree cylinder bank angles like the NSX. Most V6 engines sold today feature 60 degree bank angles which idle much smoother.

You may have to read down a few posts in the thread to get to what I am talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6_engine

Peter

Thanks Peter, was a good read. Makes sense about the "missing" I thought I was hearing. I am sure even with only 53k on the clock at 18 years old it wouldn't hurt to have the front and rear motor mount checked out also while I am getting the valves adjusted and stuff just to make sure. My wife is going to kill me!

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141577

Check out this previous thread about the inherent idle characteristics of V6 engines with 90 degree cylinder bank angles like the NSX. Most V6 engines sold today feature 60 degree bank angles which idle much smoother.

You may have to read down a few posts in the thread to get to what I am talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6_engine

Peter

Absolutely correct. It's the characteristics of a rare engine configuration.

Yea, it is like getting used to my F20C when I first got it, thought the valve train noise meant my motor was going, until I heard a few other s2000's and realized all of their valve trains sound like shaking a bunch of silverware in a bowl haha. you guys are extremely helpful, its refreshing.

Thanks Peter, was a good read. Makes sense about the "missing" I thought I was hearing. I am sure even with only 53k on the clock at 18 years old it wouldn't hurt to have the front and rear motor mount checked out also while I am getting the valves adjusted and stuff just to make sure. My wife is going to kill me!

The vibration is quite normal. It is also a fairly loud engine. So you will probably notice all kind of noise during that RPM range.

Yea, I knew getting into this that it was going to have some quirks getting used to. Aside form TB/WP/Harmonic Dampener/valve adjustment, is their anything else you guys can think of off hand to do to to a "new to you" NSX? I was able to verify through calling the Acura dealership that the 60k service was done 2 years ago, and a speed sensor was replaced also at the time. Thanks for any help, I have read the wiki's but some of the info is a tad dated, so any help is appreciated.

Congrats and welcome to the family. Love the color combo.

Last edited:
Thanks, my s2k's (which I think qualified me as a distant cousin to the family?) were both silverstone. I know black is hard to up keep but the paint job is extremely nice for the age of the car. I am going to post some pic's soon, hopefully today if the weather clears up. Trying to track down some info on seat motors, as mine move, but the recline function on both seats is out. Doesnt even make a noise when you try to move them, so I assume the motor's are completely blown. Joys of a 20 year old car haha

Last edited:
Welcome and Congrats!

Thats interesting...I don't recall any of those symptoms you are describing as being normal. My car would idle rock steady with no hesitation at any rpm range.

Couple of things to look at.

Throttle Body - perhaps needs a cleaning. Is there a paper filter installed? Sometimes when folks use a K&N or Uni filter the Throttle Body gets gunked up.

Have your tech have a good look at the Harmonic balancer pulley - worth replacing for peace of mind. There have been a couple failures but mostly on cars that are tracked.

Yea, at idle it is perfect, pretty noticable vibration up until around 2500-3000 rpm, but the motor revs fine. No hesitation, when I said somethign about sounding like it is "missing", as I have been reading, seems to be a characteristic of the motor. I have been youtubing some "idle" clips of other NSX's around my year, plus or minus 20k miles, and they all pretty much sound the same. I am thinking possibly a motor mount, or as others have said just normal for this age/car. Either way Ill have MM's checked out when I am gettign the service done. Wife approved me to get pretty much everything I need done in one swoop, then I am not allowed to do anything to it till next year :-( I am having the pulley replaced when I do the TB/WP.

Sorry pictures are not so hot, going to pull out wifes camera sometime this week after detailing it and get some better ones-

download2.jpg

download1.jpg

That car looks so classic with the original wheels! imo it looks great!

As stated earlier the harmonic balancer should be replaced. That is probably what is causing the vibration. They should be replaced after 15 years or so because the rubber bushing can deteriorate and come apart. I would also recommend replacing the timing belt tensioner because of the cars age. Since your timing belt service is already going to be expensive, you should just do all that you can to prevent future problems should they otherwise arise.

That car looks so classic with the original wheels! imo it looks great!

As stated earlier the harmonic balancer should be replaced. That is probably what is causing the vibration. They should be replaced after 15 years or so because the rubber bushing can deteriorate and come apart. I would also recommend replacing the timing belt tensioner because of the cars age. Since your timing belt service is already going to be expensive, you should just do all that you can to prevent future problems should they otherwise arise.

Thanks man, I'll knock all those outs. Dealer is giving me a pretty decent package deal so more the merrier. Spark plugs were done back in 08, along with brake fluid and tranny flush , but other then that I am pretty much going all in for peace of mind. It's not my dd but I had to promise to keep it for awhile (and after a week I can't imagine ever getting rid of it) so reliability is key. And thanks about the rims, I love em!

Yea, I knew getting into this that it was going to have some quirks getting used to. Aside form TB/WP/Harmonic Dampener/valve adjustment, is their anything else you guys can think of off hand to do to to a "new to you" NSX? I was able to verify through calling the Acura dealership that the 60k service was done 2 years ago, and a speed sensor was replaced also at the time. Thanks for any help, I have read the wiki's but some of the info is a tad dated, so any help is appreciated.

Since you are in there, I would definitely change out the cam plugs/seals. There are also about 26 coolant hoses I would change due to age.

Since you are in there, I would definitely change out the cam plugs/seals. There are also about 26 coolant hoses I would change due to age.

Hmm, any idea on a how much those run? I am assuming labor wouldn't be crazy if their doing the valve adjustment, but I am not wicked mechanically inclined. (correction- just did some more checking, looks like somethign that is pretty easy to do since I am getting my valves adjusted and the TB done, looks like those two pieces are most of the labor, correct me if I am wrong)

Last edited:
It's normal - worry not. It's a souped up car - cams - it just idles a little rough cause it's high strung. It's the way it's supposed to be. It's not the same V6 you find in the RL. It's fine enjoy it and rev it up to hear the magic!

Nice but we need more pics:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:, welcome to the club

It's normal - worry not. It's a souped up car - cams - it just idles a little rough cause it's high strung. It's the way it's supposed to be. It's not the same V6 you find in the RL. It's fine enjoy it and rev it up to hear the magic!

oh yea, just getting used to it. I took it out today and the vibration wasn't near as bad as it was in my head. It does take some used to the motor noises, its hard to put a finger on it- before 4-4500, it sound s like a older v6, little exhaust putter included. Then around 5k.... I think you guys know what I am talking about ;-)

And yes, def more pictures coming. We are finally having a nice day tomorrow (60 ish) so she is gettign full detail, motor and everything. And I'll use a real camera haha

(correction- just did some more checking, looks like somethign that is pretty easy to do since I am getting my valves adjusted and the TB done, looks like those two pieces are most of the labor, correct me if I am wrong)

Labor will be much cheaper with the TP and valve adjustment. Do a search and you will find more detail about the job.

The spool valve seals tend to leak also, but it is a fairly easy diy and parts are probably less than $50 for both sides.

Try finding a reasonable indy NSX mechanic to do the work.

Back