• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner. Looking for exhaust info.

It's a '99 Targa, black/black. I really don't want to do too much to it, but I've replaced the stock wheels with iForged Aeros (18x8, 18x10), and I'd like to replace the stock exhaust, and that's about it. I'd like to find something that adds a little bit of growl, but I don't want the buzzing sound like some of the guys with Civics, etc, add to their cars. I've looked at the Comptech cat-back system, but I don't know what it sounds like, how much HP it will add, etc.

Any opinions, experiences, etc., would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Buy the Taitec JGTC Parallel Exit exhaust. It will give you the sound you are looking for. I have it on my '94 NSX and I love it. :)

The Saint said:
It's a '99 Targa, black/black. I really don't want to do too much to it, but I've replaced the stock wheels with iForged Aeros (18x8, 18x10), and I'd like to replace the stock exhaust, and that's about it. I'd like to find something that adds a little bit of growl, but I don't want the buzzing sound like some of the guys with Civics, etc, add to their cars. I've looked at the Comptech cat-back system, but I don't know what it sounds like, how much HP it will add, etc.

Any opinions, experiences, etc., would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Meeyatch1 said:
Buy the Taitec JGTC Parallel Exit exhaust. It will give you the sound you are looking for. I have it on my '94 NSX and I love it. :)

I agree. I have the same exhaust and it sounds great.

The Saint said:
I'd like to replace the stock exhaust, and that's about it. I'd like to find something that adds a little bit of growl...

Be careful what you wish for. If you really mean "a little bit of growl", I'd advise you to go with Tubi, Comptech or Anytime. They are a lot easier to live with than exhausts like RM, GM, JGTC, even the light weight GT from Taitec. These are all very aggressive sounding exhausts. They sound great during spirited driving, but remember that you can't really turn it off if you want to.

Like TucAZNSX said, go look at the chart from the SOS site to see the sound level of each exhaust. Exhaust sound is very subjective. In general, quieter exhausts that I have suggested normally have a smoother tone. The best approach is to listen to all of them before you make your decision.

HP gain is minimal, exhausts are mainly for sound and weight saving over OEMs. Good luck finding the right exhaust!

CDub said:
Be careful what you wish for. If you really mean "a little bit of growl", I'd advise you to go with Tubi, Comptech or Anytime. They are a lot easier to live with than exhausts like RM, GM, JGTC, even the light weight GT from Taitec. These are all very aggressive sounding exhausts. They sound great during spirited driving, but remember that you can't really turn it off if you want to.

Thanks. I just think that the stock exhaust is too quiet, but even it sounds nice when I open the throttle. I just want something that sounds a bit meaner at idle, and (especially) when I open it up a little bit. I just don't want something obnoxious.

Like TucAZNSX said, go look at the chart from the SOS site to see the sound level of each exhaust. Exhaust sound is very subjective. In general, quieter exhausts that I have suggested normally have a smoother tone. The best approach is to listen to all of them before you make your decision.

HP gain is minimal, exhausts are mainly for sound and weight saving over OEMs. Good luck finding the right exhaust!

Thanks. I can listen to some of the samples, but my computer won't play wav files for some reason. :confused:

EDIT: Anytime wouldn't play for me. Heard the Gruppe, Tubi and the Taitec GT, though. All are pretty nice, but I really like the Taitec...

Last edited:
I would also check out which exhausts boom/resonate in the cabin at lower RPM's. That can easily ruin your NSX driving experience.

The anytime is a good combo of both easy everyday liveability and high-rpm noise. It sounds great.

The comptech is pretty silent. Not really much louder than stock at all. I would look elsewhere.

I had heard the JCTC is extremely loud. Probably not what you are looking for.

I absolutely detest the Taitec GT lightweight, but others seem to like it.

The best advice I can give you is try and get rides in car that have them. Go for a nice long drive, lets of stop and go with low speed and low rpm driving.

Best of luck.

NetViper said:
I would also check out which exhausts boom/resonate in the cabin at lower RPM's. That can easily ruin your NSX driving experience.

The anytime is a good combo of both easy everyday liveability and high-rpm noise. It sounds great.

The comptech is pretty silent. Not really much louder than stock at all. I would look elsewhere.

I had heard the JCTC is extremely loud. Probably not what you are looking for.

Good info. Thanks!

The best advice I can give you is try and get rides in car that have them. Go for a nice long drive, lets of stop and go with low speed and low rpm driving.

Best of luck.

Thanks. That hearing them all would be ideal, but there just aren't that many NSXs around here.

NetViper said:

I just bought the Taitec GT Lightweight a couple of months ago and love it. Deep, throaty, not too loud. I've had many compliments.

NetViper said:

I second that great advice.

The Saint said:
I just don't want something obnoxious.

Thanks. I can listen to some of the samples, but my computer won't play wav files for some reason. :confused:
QUOTE]

Based on what you just said, I don't think Taitec is what you are looking for. Don't forget no matter how nice it sounds in a sound clip, they don't tell the hold story. You can adjust the volume on your computer, but you can't do that to your exhaust.

In cabin droning and resonance come with louder exhausts. As me how I know.

Taitec GT parallel (1 week) - blah! keep in mind that it is not the same as the current ones.
GruppeM V2 (10 months) - sounded absolutely out of this world but with droning problem.
Tubi (1 year) - Smooth, quiet when idling, aggressive at WOT, but I was longing for the GruppeM sound.
GruppeM V3 (6 months and still living with it) - high pitch, aggressive, weight only 18lb (45lb weight reduction replacing the 20lb cats and 45lb OEM exhaust). Great for track use. This is a keeper!

CDub said:
Taitec GT parallel (1 week) - blah! keep in mind that it is not the same as the current ones.
GruppeM V2 (10 months) - sounded absolutely out of this world but with droning problem.
Tubi (1 year) - Smooth, quiet when idling, aggressive at WOT, but I was longing for the GruppeM sound.
GruppeM V3 (6 months and still living with it) - high pitch, aggressive, weight only 18lb (45lb weight reduction replacing the 20lb cats and 45lb OEM exhaust). Great for track use. This is a keeper!

The Taitec GT Lightweight has a terrible droning problem too. I kept mine on 2 weeks before I yanked it off.

Anytime -- No droning. Great sound. A little louder than stock with windows up. With windows down, woohoo!!

I had heard the Tubi does resonate a little at low RPM. I have not driven in one though -- just been told.

I have a Remus exhaust. Not very many people in the States have this as a setup. Twin-tip on each side and it sounds fantastic. By no means over-bearing to people outside (or inside the cabin), and you'll have an awesome sound that even other NSXer's don't have. Lot's of compliments on it's sound by adults, not adolscents.

Crazified said:
I have a Remus exhaust. Not very many people in the States have this as a setup. Twin-tip on each side and it sounds fantastic. By no means over-bearing to people outside (or inside the cabin), and you'll have an awesome sound that even other NSXer's don't have. Lot's of compliments on it's sound by adults, not adolscents.

Remus, eh? I looked at a Remus exhaust for my Legend Coupe, but ended up not changing it.

I didn't know they had a system for the NSX - I'll check it out. Do you have any pics, sound clips, etc., that you could send? Thanks.

Back