• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Owner with Detailing Question

I am now the proud owner of a red 91. Picked it up a few weeks ago and looking for advice on the following (sorry if it has been discussed but can't seem to locate):

Preferred car wash soap and washing/drying accessories
Preferred wax (especially with winter coming)
Preferred leather cleaner (leather smells a bit old)

Also wondering whether I should cover garage floor under car. Live up in NH and can get cold up here.

Thanks,
Andy

Welcome aboard and congrats on your purchase. Any pics? As for detailing I'm sure someone with better knowledge will chime in but I use general stuff like maguires and it's been great.

Welcome aboard and congrats on your purchase. Any pics? As for detailing I'm sure someone with better knowledge will chime in but I use general stuff like maguires and it's been great.

+1 on using Meguires as a general car cleaning range of products. I use high end cleaning products on my NSX and Grand National, Mequires on the rest (wife and daughters cars). Think about how well and often you want to take care of your paint. You into using an orbital polisher, clay bar usage, detail spray vs car washing. Others will chime in but also consider googling how to take care of car paint. 1st one came up for me: http://www.autoeducation.com/carcare/cleanpaint.htm Just some thoughts for you. Regards...siD

the wash, claybar, glaze, seal, wax five-step process usually produces really good results.

Spend some time looking at the stuff on www.autogeek.net

Invisible Glass is awesome for all your glass cleaning

-

Do Not use ArmorAll on the interior, worst stuff as it'll transfer all kinds of fog to the windshield. Meguiars has a nice interior detailer, makes it look factory fresh, no shine!!!

i've looked for the best stuff,read reviews and talked to detailers,this is what i use:

wash w/optimum car wash,dirtguard bucket and a plain bucket,griot's mf wash mitt,and dry w/big blue drying towel.

wax w/collinite 845,may switch to blackfire wet diamond sealer and midnight sun wax,which a paint correction guy used w/spectacular results.buff w/cobra super plush mf towels.

leatherique for leather,lots of reviews on prime of it

aerospace 303 is the best dash protectant i've found.

congrats,enjoy the car,and it can be very satisfying keeping it detailed up.don't forget to drive it,too.autogeek and autopia have all this stuff.

Last edited:
My brother lives in Yardley. Great little town. So lucky to be so close to NSXPO.

I am now the proud owner of a red 91. Picked it up a few weeks ago and looking for advice on the following (sorry if it has been discussed but can't seem to locate):

Also wondering whether I should cover garage floor under car. Live up in NH and can get cold up here.

Thanks,
Andy

i've looked for the best stuff,read reviews and talked to detailers,this is what i use:

wash w/optimum car wash,dirtguard bucket and a plain bucket,griot's mf wash mitt,and dry w/big blue drying towel.

wax w/collinite 845,may switch to blackfire wet diamond sealer and midnight sun wax,which a paint correction guy used w/spectacular results.buff w/cobra super plush mf towels.

leatherique for leather,lots of reviews on prime of it

aerospace 303 is the best dash protectant i've found.

congrats,enjoy the car,and it can be very satisfying keeping it detailed up.don't forget to drive it,too.autogeek and autopia have all this stuff.

Good suggestions here, another excellent detailing site is www.detailedimage.com, lots of really good professional tips & excellent product. Agree about ArmorAll, wouldn't put that stuff on a dead dog's butt. Aerospace 303 gets my vote. Also agree about Blackfire Wet Diamond, that's what's on my NSX & my Legend.

If you want to do detailing right, you'll have to invest a fair amount of coin to get the proper tools (DA polisher & pads), product (soaps, cleaners, polishes & waxes) and towels (all microfibers are NOT created equal) but the end result is incredibly satisfying.

Last edited:
thanks,stevieray.i'd forgotten about detailed image,checked out their site and they have some very helpful info on how to detail.

don't use degreaser on the engine and then rinse it out...

the coil packs get wet=not good

anytime i wash my car i cover the back vent behind the engine hatch because water gets in and gets the rear bank of coil packs wet.

are you kidding? did you know the NSX has a 21 step AIRCRAFT paint job?

there is a reason people have a 20 year old NSX and it looks like it rolled off the showroom floor show me a Mercedes any year that can say that.
there are 4 year old mercedes and their paint it showing sun damage.

and paying someone to detail their NSX ???no thanks we will do it ourselves.

as for ArmorAll and all the crap that cost less than 4 dollars a bottle like what was posted earlier it may work great on civics, and mercedes but not in an NSX. its like putting 87 gas in your car cuz you dont have the cash for a full tank of 93.

I rarely see benz with messed up paint.

As a matter of fact my dad cleans my mom's 2000 CLK with gray water from the laundry wash cycle. And it's wiped down with a dirty cotton rag.

And the benz paint looks show room new. Not even waxed.

I doubt anything from japan can touch that.

I heard the Benz clear coat is a ceramic base one. So it seems to resist scratch very well.

I rarely see benz with messed up paint.

As a matter of fact my dad cleans my mom's 2000 CLK with gray water from the laundry wash cycle. And it's wiped down with a dirty cotton rag.

And the benz paint looks show room new. Not even waxed.

I doubt anything from japan can touch that.

I heard the Benz clear coat is a ceramic base one. So it seems to resist scratch very well.

German paints are typically extremely hard while Japanese paints are soft(ish). In fact, there are particular pads/polishes/LSPs that are designed & suggested to work with Benz & Audi paint. I see WAY more Japanese than German cars with messed up clear coats.

Sorry for the gang up Shawn, but......read the 21 steps and you'll see they are pretty much standard steps probably done by most all now days. In other words, bullshit. I've always heard what was stated earlier about the german thick and hard, japanese thin and soft. These euro companies likely have decades of history working with the major paints folks like BASF Glasurit. I don't know but Honda likely is more isolated from historical paint data. And i personally don't think Honda gives a damn as their cars are designed for a very short life span rust wise. I'd love to think the NSX paint formulation was something special, but i'm pretty sure it's the same as a civic. Mercedes used to pride themselves on selling cars for governments, cabs, etc where longevity was a desirable trait. Of course we are only talking paint here, and speculation to boot. I have talked to several paint supply shops and high end body shops (if there really is such a thing) and they say see nothing special about the OEM paint.

are you kidding? did you know the NSX has a 21 step AIRCRAFT paint job?

there is a reason people have a 20 year old NSX and it looks like it rolled off the showroom floor show me a Mercedes any year that can say that.
there are 4 year old mercedes and their paint it showing sun damage.

and paying someone to detail their NSX ???no thanks we will do it ourselves.

as for ArmorAll and all the crap that cost less than 4 dollars a bottle like what was posted earlier it may work great on civics, and mercedes but not in an NSX. its like putting 87 gas in your car cuz you dont have the cash for a full tank of 93.

My experiences with the Mercedes are quite different.
Many of the old Mercedes that I have seen are still very shiny. My 1986 560SEC was in excellent cosmetic shape inside and out when I sold it in 2002. There are a few 240D, 300D, and 450SL that I still see around here are shiny with the original paint from the 1970's. The same goes for all the Porsches that I have owned.
Steve

Thanks,
Andy

Welcome to Prime Andy and congrats on your new NSX! I have a Berlina Black NSX and have learned a lot over the years trying to keep this black car looking showroom new. :frown: Here is what I do:

When the car comes out of winter hibernation:

1. Wash car using two bucket method. I use Dawn detergent to strip the wax off the paint. I use a high quality sponge, but a good wash mitt is fine too.
2. Dry the car using electric leaf blower;
3. Clay the car using a medium clay bar to get any remaining wax and other contaminants out of the paint.

Now the car's bare paint has been cleaned and is exposed.

4. Because it is black, the NSX tends to pick up some hairline scratches and spider webs over the previous summer of usage. Therefore, I use a rotary buffer and Menzerna micro polish to buff out all of the imperfections. At this point, the paint is like a mirror;
5. To seal and protect the paint, I apply two coats of Chemical Guys JetSeal 109;
6. As a top coat, I then apply a layer of Chemical Guys 50/50 paste wax. This stuff is the most incredible wax I've ever seen on a black car. Easy to apply and layers well on top of the sealant.

With this combo I'm good to go for 2 months of care-free driving. I usually reapply a layer of 50/50 around mid-July and this gets me all the way through the summer. I typically don't wash the NSX over the summer. Instead, I use a quick detailer and a clean microfiber towel to wipe the car down before a drive. I've found Meguiar's Quick Detail spray works great. I do wash the car before my mid-summer wax application in order to get all surface particles in suspension and off the paint. For this application, I use Meguiar's car wash, which is wax-safe and soft on the paint. If you follow this regimen with your Formula Red, you will not be dissappointed. The critical things to focus on are the clay step and the polish. If you take your time on this prep work, it makes the paint look new. So, with that, here are my recommendations:

Wash - Meguiars car wash; use only microfiber towels to touch paint.
Polish - Menzerna Micro Polish (for fine scratches)
Sealant - Chemical Guys JetSeal 109
Wax - Chemical Guys 50/50 Paste Wax
Leather Clean/Treat - Leatherique or CG Leather Treatment Kit (I use on both my Acuras)
Rubber/plastic/vinyl - 303 Aerospace Protectant

Hi Andy,

Congrats and welcome.

I have been using Adam's products with excellent results. There is a helpful forum that has very good step by step how-to videos.

Here is the site: http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/cmps_index.php

I happened to go to a detailing clinic he put on about a year and a half ago. After Adam polished part of the rear panel I saw the potential for doing this myself. I ended up buying a Porter Cable 7424XP Adam's pads, polishes, machine and hand wax, tire clearer, leather cleaner and other assorted goodies.

There are many excellent products out there; I think the key is taking the time to learn how apply these products to your car. I am still enjoying learning how to detail my car and am getting better results each time I go through the process.

Good luck and enjoy,

Matt

Back