• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Porsche 911 aka 991

Porsche got a completely new generation of 911. This is completely new from 996/997. For a tiny company making the best sports cars years after years, it is no small feast.
Steve
2012-porsche-911-991-8_1600x0w.jpg

I too think the exterior and performance of the new 991 is great. However, the interior has lost a lot of it's "sporty" appeal. I like the spartan look of previous generations of the 911, this one is too much of a soccer mom interior for me. Where the heck is the manual e-brake? :confused: A sports car should have one, not a button to push.

I would buy a 911 today if they were better made.
I've yet to meet a 911 owner with more than 50,000 miles on the original engine.
They're cool cars, but owning one outside of warranty is asking for it.

Sorry, but I am not getting any vibes - the side view is pretty much a Cayman; the rear is ok but the front is quite bland. Though the camera walk is nice done, the interior is a bit cheesy, as noted no hand brake ...... the exhaust note pathetic, and what's the dealio with the engine stopping every time you are at stop sign? Sadly, it seems over-engineering for the sake of engineering ........

I love the looks of this latest incarnation of the 911. It reminds me of the 993 aircooled cars...

If I could justify it I'd have one in my garage.

I love the looks of this latest incarnation of the 911. It reminds me of the 993 aircooled cars...

If I could justify it I'd have one in my garage.

Funny how we both look at the same pics and come with different perspective. I too was actually comparing it to the last aircooled version which had soul ..... I think last year's GTs and Turbos look nicer but then again, as the French say, tastes and colors can't be argued over :wink:

I don't care for the Panemera interior but the rest of the is darn impressive!! As fast as a GT3 at the 'ring:eek::eek:

I don't care for the Panemera interior but the rest of the is darn impressive!! As fast as a GT3 at the 'ring:eek::eek:
Your GT3 is the "Type R" of the 911 which outdoes itself year after year. Many people simply have no idea what a GT3 or a modern 911 drives like. 911 is arguably the most successful sport car in history despite the "wrong" engine placement. If the 991 is faster than the GT3, I can't imagine what a 991 GT3 or 991 Turbo can do.
Steve

It does look more like the Cayman, which I think is a very good thing! One of the big reasons I bought one (Cayman) is that I find it one of the best looking cars south of $100k. Never liked the 911 that much, but this is much better!

I prefer a simpler interior too, but from what I understand Porsche wants to push the 911 upmarket and add more luxury, then bring in something below the Cayman / Boxter line as a more spartan, entry level sports car.

They kept things like key start (and on the left), manual headlights, ebrake lever, manual transmissions, etc. because they wanted driving a sports car to be about DRIVING a sports car. If they are "poshing" things up on the 911 and Cayman, the new model must be on the way soon.

Seeing how the Panamera and Cayenne demolish all their sports car line sales wise, I'm suprised it isn't another SUV'ish thing they are bringing out!

I would buy a 911 today if they were better made.
I've yet to meet a 911 owner with more than 50,000 miles on the original engine.
They're cool cars, but owning one outside of warranty is asking for it.

This is nonsense.

I do like the 991, but the rear end isn't right somehow. Too Panamera-ish. Great interior, fantastic performance, impressive engine.

Sorry, but I am not getting any vibes - the side view is pretty much a Cayman; the rear is ok but the front is quite bland. Though the camera walk is nice done, the interior is a bit cheesy, as noted no hand brake ...... the exhaust note pathetic, and what's the dealio with the engine stopping every time you are at stop sign? Sadly, it seems over-engineering for the sake of engineering ........

Funny how we both look at the same pics and come with different perspective. I too was actually comparing it to the last aircooled version which had soul ..... I think last year's GTs and Turbos look nicer but then again, as the French say, tastes and colors can't be argued over :wink:

This

I read the engine failure rate is 20%.
Given that MOST of them are garage queens, that's extremely high.
It's extremely high regardless, but if they were all daily drivers, I would assume double that.

http://www.total911.com/news/466/

Dam, that's like worse than the RX7 days.

RX7 failures without engine mods were typically around 80k miles.

With improper mods and tuning then it would look more like this 911 bloodbath.

I just don't see that. I tracked my GT3 regularly for a couple of seasons and met dozens and dozens of guys who aggressively tracked their cars without a hitch. I never saw one let go on the track, and in the Porsche circles find them to be realiable.

Now, I don't own a 997 personally, but the boxster engine design has been around for sometime; and I don't intend to argue with the experiences those poor buggers had with their cars, but 20% just seems too high to believe.

My Porsche has been as reliable as my NSX was. I'll leave it at that.

One good thing about 991s. They are pushing 997 prices way down!!!

The early Boxter engines died at a horrible rate from IMS failure. The early Caymans died in droves at the track from oil starvation during hard cornering. There have been a decent number of Caymans and 911 that have scored cylinder walls (theorized cooling problem?). Porsche has been of little help to a lot of people affected by these failures lately. When the motors lunch, you are out about $15k for a Cayman / Boxter.

I've seen enough on the forums end up like this to NEVER own a Porsche outside of warranty, definately won't track mine either. Also curious as to how much longer they can keep a reputation as reliable / standing behind their product. Making the few you help sign confidentiality clauses only makes things look that much shadier...

I just don't see that. I tracked my GT3 regularly for a couple of seasons and met dozens and dozens of guys who aggressively tracked their cars without a hitch. I never saw one let go on the track, and in the Porsche circles find them to be realiable.

Now, I don't own a 997 personally, but the boxster engine design has been around for sometime; and I don't intend to argue with the experiences those poor buggers had with their cars, but 20% just seems too high to believe.

My Porsche has been as reliable as my NSX was. I'll leave it at that.

One good thing about 991s. They are pushing 997 prices way down!!!

They have been falling pre-991 anyway...my 06 Carrera w/46k miles was bought from Champion Porsche at $42k U.S. in 2009!:smile:

IMG_8984.jpg

Last edited:
The 991 will make its North American debut at Rennsport Reunion at Laguna Seca Oct 14-16.
I don't even know why I following the news on 991 since I won't be able to afford one until 2030...

why are they going backwards? 996-997-991:confused:

why are they going backwards? 996-997-991:confused:

Porsche model numbers started as the project # that Dr. Porsche was working on. ie. the 356 was the three hundred and fifty-sixth project of his. It's not like that any longer, but Porsche AG is trying to avoid their 911 range reaching the name the Porsche 1000. Hence, 996, 997......1000? Nope, so my reading suggested that they are using up the 900's.

Back