• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New to the forums. Hi. Plus question?

Hi,

Newbie here. I've been dreaming of owning my own NSX someday. I've always wanted one but never tried gunning for it until now after I got a better paying job. Now the whole dream seems highly possible if I work a bunch of overtime for about a year or two. I currently own an RSX right now, but the platform for the car doesn't seem to meet my expectations lol.

Since I'm having the courage to post something might as well ask, how were all of your stories when looking for and finally buying your NSX? I'm asking everyone and not just all us newbies. I'm pretty curious xD

Welcome, my story wasnt anything special. I joined here to gain knowledge before buying and tookme about 6 months to find one and pull the trigger. Nothing special.

Loved the NSX since 1991...In 2003 my wife let my pull the trigger on one in the showroom for 77k. Never, never, never looked back.

Welcome, my story wasnt anything special. I joined here to gain knowledge before buying and tookme about 6 months to find one and pull the trigger. Nothing special.

Wow 6 months. It may seem nothing special but that must have been a lot of searching, stressing, and waiting. Pretty stressed just saving up for a nice down payment 😂

- - - Updated - - -

Loved the NSX since 1991...In 2003 my wife let my pull the trigger on one in the showroom for 77k. Never, never, never looked back.
Haha nice. Cant to finally own my own. >. <

I've always wanted one but they were always out of reach price wise. I've had some awesome hondas in my past life and by the time they started reaching the 30's and low 20's, they were getting pretty beat up and had high mileage. I only wanted a 02+ by that time and they were still too expensive (cheap by today's standards!).

Fast forward awhile while my passion for them stayed hidden, I started looking for a beater s2000 to play around with as I always wanted one also. My gf at the time, now wife, pushed me to get the nsx as I was constantly watching nsx videos, looking at nsxs while shopping for that s2000. I casually asked around if anyone was selling one and turns out my buddy was selling his super clean immaculate nsx in my dream color, gpw. It was a bit above my budget but I liquidated my bank account immediately and the nsx was mine. It was too nice and mint not to pass up. Luckily it turned out to be both a good financial decision and a good heart fulfilling decision.

I was in the same shoes you were. Finally got a decent paying job, so I could justify the purchase. I also am good with a wrench, so I found one that was a clean title and good motor, but needed a bunch of maintenance items. I was able to get it for cheap, put in the time to do all of the maintenance, and now Ive got a great running NSX that I can drive anywhere and everywhere. The cost of ownership is relatively low on these cars, especially if it's not a daily driver.

If you're looking to buy, do your due diligence. Google search the vin, ask this forum, carfax, etc. There are alot of people out there that wont disclose the history of accidents or damage and try to get top $$$.

I had dreamt of owning one for as long as I can remember. My vocation as a commercial mortgage broker allows for occasional high hits with large deals. Last March my commercial realtor friend told me that a guy we know has the car you have been dreaming about sitting in his garage. He was the original owner and paid $66,000 for the car back in October of 1990. He also paid about $6,000 (supposedly) for the Blitz Type 3 racing wheels.

When I called him I told him "I want to buy your NSX". I had never been in one or even close to one. All I knew was that in my heart for so long I always wanted to own one. I remember going over to see it and actually sitting in it. He let me start it up. I never test drove the car (it had 19,800 miles on it) but did have it looked at. Unfortunately the owner was very neglectful - he had taken out the spare tire and only had two of the original wheels.

I made an offer and he told me that he wanted $35,000. I knew I was home free. I got the car for $32,500 because I knew it needed to have a lot done because of age. The rest is history.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/9178472a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

I've always wanted one but they were always out of reach price wise. I've had some awesome hondas in my past life and by the time they started reaching the 30's and low 20's, they were getting pretty beat up and had high mileage. I only wanted a 02+ by that time and they were still too expensive (cheap by today's standards!).
Fast forward awhile while my passion for them stayed hidden, I started looking for a beater s2000 to play around with as I always wanted one also. My gf at the time, now wife, pushed me to get the nsx as I was constantly watching nsx videos, looking at nsxs while shopping for that s2000. I casually asked around if anyone was selling one and turns out my buddy was selling his super clean immaculate nsx in my dream color, gpw. It was a bit above my budget but I liquidated my bank account immediately and the nsx was mine. It was too nice and mint not to pass up. Luckily it turned out to be both a good financial decision and a good heart fulfilling decision.

Woooow. Thats an amazing story. I feel the same way right now. Its out of reach right now but im working super overtime at work until i save up enough to get an nsx of my own.
You have an amazing gf (now wife) for her to push you into that dream. Ironically, i feel im in the same situation now too lol. My gf (soon to be wife) is also pushing me ^-^

What is liquidating your bank account?

- - - Updated - - -

I was in the same shoes you were. Finally got a decent paying job, so I could justify the purchase. I also am good with a wrench, so I found one that was a clean title and good motor, but needed a bunch of maintenance items. I was able to get it for cheap, put in the time to do all of the maintenance, and now Ive got a great running NSX that I can drive anywhere and everywhere. The cost of ownership is relatively low on these cars, especially if it's not a daily driver.

If you're looking to buy, do your due diligence. Google search the vin, ask this forum, carfax, etc. There are alot of people out there that wont disclose the history of accidents or damage and try to get top $$$.
Thanks a lot! Yeah. Im so glad i got the courage to finally register on this forum and post something up. Everyone is pretty cool so far and its helping me go through being patient and diligent in getting this amazing piece of machinery. Thanks for the tips. I wont be lazy on this cuz that might bite me in the future :)

- - - Updated - - -

I had dreamt of owning one for as long as I can remember. My vocation as a commercial mortgage broker allows for occasional high hits with large deals. Last March my commercial realtor friend told me that a guy we know has the car you have been dreaming about sitting in his garage. He was the original owner and paid $66,000 for the car back in October of 1990. He also paid about $6,000 (supposedly) for the Blitz Type 3 racing wheels.

When I called him I told him "I want to buy your NSX". I had never been in one or even close to one. All I knew was that in my heart for so long I always wanted to own one. I remember going over to see it and actually sitting in it. He let me start it up. I never test drove the car (it had 19,800 miles on it) but did have it looked at. Unfortunately the owner was very neglectful - he had taken out the spare tire and only had two of the original wheels.

I made an offer and he told me that he wanted $35,000. I knew I was home free. I got the car for $32,500 because I knew it needed to have a lot done because of age. The rest is history.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/9178472a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
Oh wow. Thats a good deal. Even for a car with only 19k miles, it still needed maintenance stuff done. Good to keep that in mind. I shouldnt think something is perfect until i look at every corner

Liquidating my bank accounts means that I emptied it. Took out all the money and bought the nsx. Basically dumped my savings and went all in to buy the car of my dreams. Never looked back.

I got the car for $32,500 because I knew it needed to have a lot done because of age. The rest is history.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/9178472a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

That was a fantastic buy.

I bought mine in March after about 5 years of looking (see my intro thread for all the gory details). I'd recommend setting aside 5K above and beyond the cost of the car to handle maintenance items and any unforeseen repairs. My car was well cared for & came with a stack of service records, but I *still* put that much into it after the purchase. As Lude_2_NSX mentioned, cost of ownership can be relatively low. However, like Kenwould did, you may need to take care of things that went unaddressed by the previous owner(s) to get to the car to a point where it's 100% healthy.

I saw my first NSX in 1991 at the Texas state fair. But the stealership had a markup on it bringing the price to $85K or about $140K in today's dollars. I was disappointed and forgot about it for 18 years. Then my wife got cancer. And on a visit to her doctor, he happened to pull into the parking garage next to us in his Sebring Silver 1991 NSX that had well over 200K miles on it and looked like it was still new. A couple years passed and my wife was still fighting cancer. She told me that she wanted me to buy an NSX because as we were finding out, life is too short and we can afford the car. It was her gift to me and a way for me to get away from her medical situation for an hour to drive or clean the car. My therapy.

I posted the following on another thread by someone just like the OP, looking for the dream car. I hope it's helpful.......

I had never driven an NSX until I flew out to purchase my first one, a one owner 1991. I guess I was saving myself for the right NSX. If you are taller than 6' 3" then you will find the car a tight fit. The man I bought my current 2002 was 6' 3" and he fit but, was tight on head room. There are many large people who find the NSX comfortable. If you can't find someone to let you drive theirs, just find one that you are serious about buying if all things check out. I won't buy a car that I can't test drive and you shouldn't either. The seller will know how serious you are by the questions you ask him or her. Detailed questions that only one who knows what to look for in the car. For example: Timing Belt and Water pump replacement, or if it's an early NSX, is it within snap ring range and ask if it has all of the maintenance records, etc. Tire kickers won't do the research.

Since I brought up research, it will serve you well to study the NSX wiki which you will find on the menu bar above. I did it before I bought my first NSX and it helped me be able to judge whether the car I was looking at was worth buying.

I purchased both of my cars from Prime members. I purposely stayed away from dealers as they were not willing to negotiate and most knew nothing technical about the car. With a private seller it will be easier to workout a deal for the car. It took about 4 months to find the right car. But, remember you are buying a car that is now in demand and it's been a seller's market. However, there are still some deals out there. I've bought both of my NSXs out of state. So, for me, my comfort level with the seller is as important as the condition of the car. I spoke to the sellers of my cars and got to know them a little. True car guys don't mind talking about their passion for cars. Once you get comfortable that the owner is trustworthy and he knows you are a serious buyer, ask for receipts for the major maintenance items like TB/WP. If you are now comfortable with the car and the seller it's time to go see that car and drive it. Also, before you go be ready to buy the car on the spot. Too many folks on here and the NSXPrime Facebook page complain about losing a car because someone else came in with the cash before them. Most sellers will sell the car to the first person with the money. Once you look the car over, you might want to have a PPI done on it. I didn't have one done on either of mine as both cars came with complete maintenance records going back to the cars delivery at the dealership. Both of my cars were purchased way out of state and I drove them both home from the seller. I won't lie to you, buying a car out of state is a little scary. However, if you do your homework and have the money ready to exchange it's not a bad experience at all. Being willing to look out of state will expand your chances of finding the perfect car for you. I highly recommend that, if you have the time, you drive the car home. It's miles of smiles and a good way to learn your car and make a list of the little things that you'll want to fix or change. Plus it's an adventure you'll never forget.

I would add, that it sounds like you are having to save and work overtime to get your dream car. I'm not trying to discourage you from buying your NSX. But, there is the reality of actually owning one. Owning an NSX is a pay to play affair. They are not typical Hondas. Though they are very reliable, parts and service on an NSX is much more expensive than an Accord or even an RSX. You are buying an 11 to 25 year old exotic car with bespoke parts that are getting harder to find thus rising in cost. Now, an NSX is a lot cheaper than a Porsche, Ferrari or Lamborghini among others to maintain. So make sure that you set aside funds to make those repairs. And don't do anything on the cheap. With the NSX it will cost you more in the long run if you use cheap ebay parts. There are some good aftermarket parts that are made by folks that either own an NSX or are very knowledgeable about the car. But for me, OEM or JDM is the way to go when you can.

I know this is more than you asked for but, it was my first NSX driving and buying experience. That first drive of the car I was going to buy is a memory that I will always remember every detail of as if it was yesterday. And since I took my son with me, who was 12 yrs old at the time, the long drive back was a great adventure that we share. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
That was a fantastic buy.

I bought mine in March after about 5 years of looking (see my intro thread for all the gory details). I'd recommend setting aside 5K above and beyond the cost of the car to handle maintenance items and any unforeseen repairs. My car was well cared for & came with a stack of service records, but I *still* put that much into it after the purchase. As Lude_2_NSX mentioned, cost of ownership can be relatively low. However, like Kenwould did, you may need to take care of things that went unaddressed by the previous owner(s) to get to the car to a point where it's 100% healthy.

that sounds extremely smart. I think i'll have to save up and wait a little longer to have a little more than what i expect to buy one for.

I saw my first NSX in 1991 at the Texas state fair. But the stealership had a markup on it bringing the price to $85K or about $140K in today's dollars. I was disappointed and forgot about it for 18 years. Then my wife got cancer. And on a visit to her doctor, he happened to pull into the parking garage next to us in his Sebring Silver 1991 NSX that had well over 200K miles on it and looked like it was still new. .........

omg wow. no no. all of the things you said was what i really want to know. your story and experience so that I can have an amazing buy for my first nsx too. so thank you so much :)

Last edited:
My buy - like the thread says - Leaped before I looked.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/172988-Search-is-over-Took-the-leap-before-I-looked
They still cost money - I have spent lots getting the car to be like I think it should be.
If you buy an older car it takes your time ($) or someone else ($$) to make them right.
Be prepared.
Also note that some of the older car parts are getting harder to get.
Be patient - I was - Decide if you are going to drive it or look at it.
Part of the decision on the car I bought.
I was looking at $55K cars 3 years ago - then was asked if I would be worried driving it every day.
I wanted to drive it when I wanted to and not worry that I was adding another 100 miles on the odometer.
Where is it going to live - do you have space for it?
If none of the above concerns deter you then go look and stalk - look for the good buy that may still be out there.
Know what a good deal is - or what you will accept - be careful considering salvage cars.
Have fun and enjoy the hunt.

I wasn't looking either but I ended up buying the car without even seeing it... it worked out perfectly!

Lostbuckeye is so right. My wife thinks I'm nuts when it comes to my car.

The way I sum it up is that you need to respect your NSX. I never do anything to my car that would in any way detract from the original condition. For example I have replaced the clock, glove compartment door (I had broken hinges), visors, rear view mirror and other parts. I did this because I believe we will not be able to get these for too much longer and I wanted everything right. The wheels alone cost me over $2,000 to restore (Blitz type 03).

I have done so much out of love for the car. Owning an NSX is like nothing else I have experienced with car ownership. This is a truly exclusive club. The new NSX is a marvel but I keep reading the same thing. "There Is Nothing Like The Original NSX" I've got car #207 and I can't agree more!
<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/84fc543c/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

For years I had the habit of searching for a sports car, finding a good deal and then keeping it for about 1-2 years until I got bored. I've been through a Miata, the 3 Porsche's (boxster, 928S and 911). All fun cars but I would get bored. So started searching for an NSX. Now, I would never purchase a car with over 100K miles. But there was a local NSX mechanic Shawn who told me not to worry about the miles and what ever we needed to do could get fixed. So after about 6 months searching auto trader and ebaymotors daily I found my car. 218K miles for only $18,500.00. I called him immediately, had the cash in hand and drove to South Carolina within days. Drove her home and have been happy since. About 3 years now and still not bored. Some of these cars are over 25 years old so expect things to break. Hoses, alternator, starter, relays, fuses. I drive her all the time and have never been stranded. I guess what I am saying is these are special cars and can really handle a lot of miles if taken care of. So, don't be afraid of high mileage cars. I am up to 260,000 miles and she drives like she has 50 on her. Good luck in your search!

[MENTION=26500]Albert86[/MENTION] yeah. I think im all good on all those questions i would ask myself. Now just got to be diligent and save for a nice down payment.
[MENTION=31515]Kenwould[/MENTION] i'll probably go the distance too. Not many people understand the passion a car person can get when it comes to a car they love.
[MENTION=28238]Shrink[/MENTION] haha thanks. Yeah. Im pretty confident on how reliable the car is. And of course i know maintenance will be done on the light work such as alternators, belts, hoses, etc. And i hope my search becomes quite a story like most of everyone else. Gotta save!

Back