• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Next-Gen NSX Info!! [mag article]

cmb

Registered Member
Hey all,

I know there's swarms of rumours and all going about the next gen/ 2005+ NSX, so take this info with a grain of salt.

I've been spending the past month in Australia (Sydney) [i live in Toronto, Canada) and have been visiting alot of dealerships around here.

I was talking to one of the managers at a Honda about their Honda's (which we don't get here): Jazz (cute!), Integra Type R (our RSX), etc.

anyway, I was talking with him about NSXs and he recommended I check out an article in one of their major car mags.

So, the next time is was in the 'city' (what they call downtown) i dropped by a shop and picked up the latest copy of a bunch of Ozzie car mags (i bought a whole slew of them!).

In the current Sept. 03 issue of MOTOR i found this small article:

sorry, but i don't have a scanner (staying in hotels and all),

but I did take a pic with my digi cam (only 2mp) [bottom center]

newnsxarticle.jpg

sorry about the poor quality, but my camera doesn't like closeups or pics of text,etc..

here is the article (retyped):

NO MORE MR WIMP!

Honda is about to give the mid-engined NSX an almighty swift kick. Word form inside Honda suggests a turbocharged 3.5-litre V6 is being developed for the aging supercar. A limited number of road-going NSX-Ts
(note they are using NSX-T to refer to Turbo, not Targa as we use it for in North America), with as much as 300kW, could be released in Japan as early as next year. The NSX-T marks Honda's first turbocharged road car, but it will rely on six years of turbocharging experience gained in F1.

NSX-T is aimed directly at the Porsche 911 Turbo, with 0-100km/h acceleration in less than 5 seconds. The NSX-T should also top 300km/h.

if this is true then it's more evidence of a bigger motor, retaining the V6. 3.5 L, however in order to match or supercede the current gen of supercars, like many have said. the NSX will need around 400 hp to compete and it looks like this is how they'll do it.
in using a 3.5 L V6, only FI would do the trick to 400 hp and it looks like Honda will use a Turbo to do it.

300kW or so, will mean somewhere around 400hp!

let's hope this is correct:

3.5L V6 400 hp TURBO-CHARGED NSX!!!!

so START SAVING NOW!!! i know i will be... :D

I wonder if the new engine can be fitted into the old NSX

Brian2by2 said:
Hmmmm...sounds like fun!! Wonder what the price tag will be? Over 100k I'm sure.

They may not build it out of aluminum to keep costs down, in which case I don't see why they couldn't build something like that for around 50k. It would essentially be an MR2 with a bigger motor, if indeed they made it out of steel. MR2's costed around mid high 20's when they were sold new.

This was what I have been thinking: "Keep the V6, but enlarge it and crank up the hp."

Jin1976 said:
I wonder if the new engine can be fitted into the old NSX

I wondered the same thing. But even if possible, the cost of doing so is going to be astronomical.

The NSX-T marks Honda's first turbocharged road car, but it will rely on six years of turbocharging experience gained in F1.

Don't they mean CART????? F1 is NA V-10 and CART had 2.65L Turbo V8's when Honda was there.

It would be sweet if true. I have a honda turbo and it is surreal!

Bell turbo B18C1 said:
Don't they mean CART????? F1 is NA V-10 and CART had 2.65L Turbo V8's when Honda was there.

It would be sweet if true. I have a honda turbo and it is surreal!

I believe they're talking about old school Formula 1. Back in the 80's turbocharging was legal, the motors were built to handle 50 psi (no joke) of boost, and they were total beasts. I'm not sure which year the FIA banned turbocharging but it was around 1988-1990 or so.

Turbo F1 cars from the golden era of Honda had a 1,5 liter(!!) and peaked around 1400-1500 hp. (only for short time periods.)

Ban was in from the start of the 1989 season I believe.

Some say the most powerful Grand Prix engine of all time was the 1500cc BMW Turbo charged unit. The engine used by the Brabham team in the mid eighties developed over 1500 Horsepower in qualifying trim.

I believe of course Honda had the strongest engine ang therefore actually won races too.

speaking of next-gen NSX rumors ...

this just in from some contacts in Japan

originally in S2KCA forums:
Honda announced that they will close the Takanezawa Factory and move the all facility to Suzuka Factory on next summer!

I was so surprised to hear that and really disappointed.

As for me, Takanezawa was a symbol of ‘Honda spirits’ . Takanezawa Factory was fulfilled of craftsmanship so that they could assemble NSX, Insight and S2000.

Wonder what this means for future NSX (and S2K/Insight) production.

i'm not too fond of a non-NA engine from Honda. the pure adrenaline rush of the NA engine comes from the roar of the engine at high rpms.....sweet sweet music to our ears. that's why i'm still a F360 fan despite it's mediocre reliability.

besides, a 400hp NSX can be easily obtained now with the available turbo setups on the market.

wouldn't we prefer a NA NSX producing 350-400hp and still be able to apply FI to that system?? i would....

Rubber Chicken said:
I believe they're talking about old school Formula 1. Back in the 80's turbocharging was legal, the motors were built to handle 50 psi (no joke) of boost, and they were total beasts. I'm not sure which year the FIA banned turbocharging but it was around 1988-1990 or so.

Actually it was more like 54 psi into a 1500cc engine, making lots of bhp

cmb said:
Hey all,

let's hope this is correct:

3.5L V6 400 hp TURBO-CHARGED NSX!!!!

so START SAVING NOW!!! i know i will be... :D

To tell you the truth, I'm a bit disappointed if Honda is going to go the FI way for the next NSX. Here is why...

IMHO, Honda has developed over the years a know-how and a market awareness in developing high revving-high hp engine. Very few other automotive companies have been able to build such engines into production cars. When you factor in the reliability of the Honda engine to top everything, none comes even close...

On the other hand, every company out there is capable of taking an engine and develop a FI system around it. Dodge used to do it in the 80s, nowadays, everyone is doing it (Volvo, Ford, Subaru...).
With cars like the NSX and the S2000 and the Integras/RSXs, Honda has kept that image about high-revving, high-hp NA engines. I would be very disappointed if they now play "catch-up" with everyone else and release a FI engine in the NSX. Anyone else sees my point ?

I talked to the North Amercian rep for Acura and there tech on thursday. They came into the dealer in Michigan to look at my car (long story) I asked them about the 05 model, the rep would not comment on it at all. The tech told me its going to be aluminum and they did scrap the hybrid motor idea. He said one of the reasons its going to use aluminum is that they feal alot of people are going to buy some of the new parts to up date there old cars.
They noticed a lot of orders for the 02+ parts when they came out.
The Acura rep just stood there and didnt say anything.
I dont know if any of it is true or not, but they better find out what the F#@$ is wrong with my car soon!

I must chime in and cast my vote for a high-revving NA all aluminum successor to the NSX. In fact I'm really hoping they announce it at this years Tokyo Motor Show as I'm hoping to be there! Now that would be phat! :D

I personaly think that article is just a giant rumor.

"NSX-T is aimed directly at the Porsche 911 Turbo, with 0-100km/h acceleration in less than 5 seconds"

The 97 + NSX is already capable of 0-60 in less then 5 seconds? Am I wrong?

And I do not think they would call it an NSX-T just like the Targa top.

I think, a 180 degree eight cylinder engine pushing at least 400 hp is more like it, if they really want to keep up with even todays super cars.

The sound of a 180 degree high reving 8 cylider (360 modena)engine...mmmmmm

I also think that NA will be the choice,the trend in current sports car /supercar motors is NA ,with the exception of Porsche(of course).The move to Suzuka is interresting as it may signal conservation of parts and some commonality of platforms.In other words If I (me=Honda)was in the bussiness of making cars, and money, I would want to cut cost but still keep my halo car that represents the pinacle of my ability.Who knows maybe they figured out how to make a common frame that can support iether front or midengine config; thus depending on which way they turn it you can make a s2200 or nsx!

I wouldnt mind either honestly.

A turbo V6 would be a serious force to be reckoned with. Turbo motors breed hardcore fans too, I run into a lot of Ferrari enthusiasts (some that are even born Italian) whose favorite ferrari is the F40. Regardless of the sound of the F50, and now the (relative) practicality of the Enzo.

If you start with a turbo six then the sky really is the limit, 800 hp supras, 600 hp GT-R's, 500 hp stealths/3kgt's/300zx's, aren't uncommon, and they are all turbo six's. Provided that the NSX is lighter than any of those, a turbo six would be a speed dream come true. Building an NA engine to turbo specs just doesn't have the same omph. Combustion chamber shape, secondary oil squirters, intake manifold shape, some things you really can't change keep NA engines from being really good Turbo engines.

The 2jz-ge (NA supra motor) has been only so-so with turbocharging. Look at the IS300. Nowhere near as plug and play huge hp as the SupraTT's.

If they went NA again, a V8 would be the only way to go, I'd see around 380-400 hp stock to be reasonable, and perhaps ~460 as the max without taking the block apart. That would be plenty quick, and it'd most likely have a sound closer to the ever so desirable F355.

In any case, I'm ready for a new chassis, motor, and car altogether.

Back