• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nice cars that get driven

I just had my car detailed this week and there was a Ferrari in at the same time which had hand controls similar to mine. I thought it was cool to see these two together. Not only did the 360 have hand controls but, if I remember correctly, it had over 40k miles. My car is a '94 and I only have about 53k miles. I need to get out and drive more.

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 257
By hand controls do you mean the automatic paddle shifter? Or do you mean something else?

By hand controls I mean the gas and brake are actuated by hand. In my case I'm paralyzed from the chest down which means no leg function. Unfortunately my car does not have sport shift. I missed it by 1 year as ’95 is the first year for that option. The 360 has paddle shifters and hand controls for the gas and brake.
The attached picture is an example of hand controls but not the ones in either my car or the 360.

Attachments

• hand control in a minivan.jpg
    hand control in a minivan.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 286
That is pretty damn brilliant. I've never seen anything like it.

I do have some pictures at work which show the hand controls in my car. I'll post something a bit later this week.

Jackson, The tires I got from you are doing great as they are not on my car yet. I'm still trying to use up what is left of my old rear tires.

Kudos to you for still managing to drive an NSX with your situation, love it when people follow there passion

Caustic,

It is pretty nice to be able to drive these cars. There have been a few guys with hand controls that I have encountered since I became an NSX owner. Some Prime members some not.

Clay Regazzoni was an F1 driver for Honda and was paralyzed in an accident. Here is a link to a commercial for Honda which featured him and his NSX. Sorry the quality is not that good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th5RlvokgYI&feature=related

Chris from SOS wrote about an owner in Japan he met last fall at the 20 year anniversary NSX event who also had hand controls. The write up was in a recent issue of NSX Driver. Both Clay and this guy, sorry I can't find the article right now with his name, set ups are very similar. You push forward to brake and pull back to open the throttle.

very cool, can't let disabilities get in the way of fun... i'm disabled, albeit i can still walk and stuff, but i got really depressed and gave up cars for a while. only recently did i say screw it and get back into it... part of the inspiration was when i saw a paralyzed owner of a sports car with hand controls...

By hand controls I mean the gas and brake are actuated by hand. In my case I'm paralyzed from the chest down which means no leg function. Unfortunately my car does not have sport shift. I missed it by 1 year as ’95 is the first year for that option. The 360 has paddle shifters and hand controls for the gas and brake.
The attached picture is an example of hand controls but not the ones in either my car or the 360.

I had a feeling you were going to say that but didnt want to post the question.

LooseNut - were you at the vintage races at Mid Ohio last weekend?

Loosenut,
excellent that you persevered! Douglas Bader flew a Spitfire in the Battle of Britain!!!
If you ever had a notion to scuba dive, I work with a dive company in conjunction with the Shepard Spinal Clinic in Atlanta that goes to Bonaire, on an adaptive dive trip!!!
Regards,
Dennis

Wavey1, I did not make it to the Vintage races last weekend. A bunch of my co workers went and they brought back some great pictures.

SaleenS7Rs, You shouldn't feel apprehensive about asking hand control questions. Remember don't sweat the petty things. (I certainly don't) But more importantly, don't pet the sweaty things.:wink:

Here is a little description of how the hand control in my car functions in slide 1.
The other attached picture is from when we were installing the hand control in my car so it is not complete but the photo is uncluttered which makes it a bit easier to see.

Everything I did to my car to adapt it is completely bolt in. Any parts that I had to modify, like the brake booster and the steering wheel, I bought replacement parts to adapt and stored the originals. Just in case I ever sell the car it can go back to stock.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 77
Wavey1, I did not make it to the Vintage races last weekend. A bunch of my co workers went and they brought back some great pictures.:

I asked because a friend of mine was there and he saw a black NSX leaving
on Saturday evening - figured there was a good chance it might be you.

And good for you with the hand controls Ed - "Do not go gentle into that good night..." per Dylan Thomas.

The hand controls on the mini-van are a temporary type that can be installed in little time. They are secured by a strap around the steering column. It is not ideal but it works. A better system is bolting hand controls directly onto the bolts securing the steering column to the dash and having a stop/go lever on the left side of the wheel like the mini-van type controls. You can then drive the car with your left hand and your right hand can steer or operate the controls. Driving with one hand is not so easy with the temp system as the lever is too wonky. Downside to a system permanently bolted to the steering column is it could hurt you in an accident.

Back