• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nissan 300ZX for my GF

some of my fellow doctor typed got these cars after landing job 1....my buddy did the whole stillen thing to stage 4....once his paychecks increased he graduated to the 996 TT..

Soooooooooo much want. I will buy another again. How has yours been for reliability? Where is it listed FS? :) Mine nickled and dimed me for the two years I owned it to the point that it was far from the "money saving" move that I thought it would be to buy a used 9 year old car from a "little old lady first owner." I think after all was said & done after buy/sell & maintenance, it was a $370/month car for two years, back in 2000-2002.
Mine has been quite reliable...but I do have a back-up if needed. Its averaged 15,600 miles per year since 1990 (I got it in 1993 from a dealer in Jax Fl. that took it on trade from a Doctor for an NSX).

some of my fellow doctor typed got these cars after landing job 1....my buddy did the whole stillen thing to stage 4....once his paychecks increased he graduated to the 996 TT..

Ever since the night I snuck out of bed at 2am to watch Caddyshack on HBO as an impressionable 11 year old forming his thoughts on cars, golf, career choices, and women, the scene with the ditzy doctor leaving the clubhouse with his date in a black 911 has cemented in my head that dentists/doctors will always buy a 911 as their car, whether they know a thing about cars or not!

Doc, Have you found this gross generalization to be true?

i077422.jpg

Mine has been quite reliable...but I do have a back-up if needed. Its averaged 15,600 miles per year since 1990 (I got it in 1993 from a dealer in Jax Fl. that took it on trade from a Doctor for an NSX).

Please keep my contact info, the thought of a white Z next to my GPW is fun daydream material.

Ever since the night I snuck out of bed at 2am to watch Caddyshack on HBO as an impressionable 11 year old forming his thoughts on cars, golf, career choices, and women, the scene with the ditzy doctor leaving the clubhouse with his date in a black 911 has cemented in my head that dentists/doctors will always buy a 911 as their car, whether they know a thing about cars or not!

Doc, Have you found this gross generalization to be true?

i077422.jpg

yep its just economics....the car choices escalate in price as income increases.The progression from my perspective was usually the 300 tt or mazda rx7, mitsu 3000 vr, or Porsche 924 to the 911 series with the occasional M5 thrown in.

Please keep my contact info, the thought of a white Z next to my GPW is fun daydream material.
I have two "locals" (Raleigh and Charlotte) trying to close the loop this week. First $s talk (as I already spent a Saturday waiting for someone who did not come through).

yep its just economics....the car choices escalate in price as income increases.The progression from my perspective was usually the 300 tt or mazda rx7, mitsu 3000 vr, or Porsche 924 to the 911 series with the occasional M5 thrown in.

K. I just always get a chuckle when I see the older gentleman drivers puttering along in $100k 911 convertibles at an average of 15mph under the posted speed limit no matter the road/highway. I rarely see the same type in a Cayman S or Boxster. Clearly, the most expensive car at the dealership seems to be the only choice, overlooking the benefits of the Cayman's hatch or the much prettier (IMHO) lines of the Boxster over the 911 drop top's big bubble butt.

I have two "locals" (Raleigh and Charlotte) trying to close the loop this week. First $s talk (as I already spent a Saturday waiting for someone who did not come through).

Where's the ad?

testing, for some reason I could not see page 2, but responding got me to it.....Yinzer the only other P car back in the 90's was the fledgling boxter which was not too pretty.

Last edited:
testing, for some reason I could not see page 2, but responding got me to it.....Yinzer the only other P car back in the 90's was the fledgling boxter which was not too pretty.

Yes, I meant now/today above, as far as my comment. In the warmer months here I'll tend to see many a shiny clean 911 convertible driven casually by mostly fine older gentlemen who don't exactly come across as 'drivers,' given the pace they're going. Much more often than a Cayman or Boxster. Well, that's maybe over-generalizing and I better stop, lest I get protested/marched upon and windows broken.

K. I just always get a chuckle when I see the older gentleman drivers puttering along in $100k 911 convertibles at an average of 15mph under the posted speed limit no matter the road/highway. I rarely see the same type in a Cayman S or Boxster. Clearly, the most expensive car at the dealership seems to be the only choice, overlooking the benefits of the Cayman's hatch or the much prettier (IMHO) lines of the Boxster over the 911 drop top's big bubble butt.

Where's the ad?
Be careful, as I getting to be THAT older gentleman :)

Greensboro and Winston-Salem CL:
http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/5961629160.html

Be careful, as I getting to be THAT older gentleman :)

Greensboro and Winston-Salem CL:
http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/5961629160.html

I'm not too far away, myself. :)

BUT I bet you don't drive along at 15 mph under the posted limit, and I bet you know the engine location in a 911 or your NSX, and I bet you didn't choose your cars based largely on the bigger the price tag, the better. Big difference!

buying a sports car for many is status based...or it could also be based on smart marketing....If a manufacturer makes desirable sedans or utes and caters to the 1-2% then they can get some pin action on sports cars.

I'm not too far away, myself. :)

BUT I bet you don't drive along at 15 mph under the posted limit, and I bet you know the engine location in a 911 or your NSX, and I bet you didn't choose your cars based largely on the bigger the price tag, the better. Big difference!
When I'm on license probation I stay below 15 mph over
Engine location front or middle...so far not aft of the rear axle
Cars chosen based on biggest rear tire...actually bang for buck and what I had as Matchboxes

buying a sports car for many is status based...or it could also be based on smart marketing....If a manufacturer makes desirable sedans or utes and caters to the 1-2% then they can get some pin action on sports cars.

Yeah! The best at doing that is Cadillac, selling $30,000 Chevys for $65,000, just with lots of black and lots of chrome.

As a youngster back in high school days, before I ever laid eyes on the NSX, the 300 ZX was the apple of my eye, my dream car....I remember I would just go to the Nissan dealership just to go look at it...

Always have a soft spot in my heart.

kp462.jpg

As a youngster back in high school days, before I ever laid eyes on the NSX, the 300 ZX was the apple of my eye, my dream car....I remember I would just go to the Nissan dealership just to go look at it...

Always have a soft spot in my heart.

Same here. I had a 280zx in high school and loved everything about the z32 when it came out.

I finally scratched the itch a few years ago with an NA version. I was waiting on supercharger parts for my NSX and didn't want FI and this one popped up on craigslist local.

View attachment 141504
View attachment 141505

Same here. I had a 280zx in high school and loved everything about the z32 when it came out.

I finally scratched the itch a few years ago with an NA version. I was waiting on supercharger parts for my NSX and didn't want FI and this one popped up on craigslist local.

Amazingly gorgeous. The 350Z has nothing on these, as far as appearance. So like the NSX to me....short-lived but BEAUTIFUL.

attachment.php

I have a 91 300ZX TT that I have had since 1994 (stock except for Stillen exhaust). It has always been and is still my daily driver and only car with over 360K miles on it (my daily commute is almost 50 miles/day). I don't know exactly how many miles is on it because my speedo/odomter has been off and on for the last few years (mostly off now) LOL. It has been a great and reliable car. I had to replace the turbos at around 130K miles which requires removing the engine. I believe it was driven pretty hard by the previous owner because I still have those turbos, but they are beginning to whine a bit now, and the turbo seals smoke when idling cold. My mechanic told me the compression readings are all over the place and I need to replace the engine; that was in 2011! LOL ...and it still has some pep!
I plan to keep it as my dd/beater car if/when I get an NSX.

Very first car I ever owned was a 1972 240z orange. Wish I had taken a picture of it. I never got it on the road. I bought it cheap after a barn fell in on it. Fixed it up and sold it when I was 12/13 years old. Bought a red 71 240z after that. This is how I first learned to rip out my hair while synchronizing carbs. :smile:

I don't know exactly how many miles is on it because my speedo/odomter has been off and on for the last few years (mostly off now) LOL.
Same thing! DVDburn on twinturbo.net refurbishes dash with LEDs...excellent fix/upgrade.
I sold mine this weekend at 409,000 as I ran out of garage space.

I'm surprised with all the positive experiences. Everyone I know with a z32 has problems. lol! This was my dream car as a kid, but never pulled the trigger.
Its a high performance car that needs some basic maintenance to keep it quite reliable. Its tight to work on under the hood.
I just sold mine this weekend (as I ran out of room in the garage).

Ditto. The vision of a pristine black-on-black non-2+2 as the centerpiece of my local Nissan dealership's showroom in the early 90s is still burnt into my retinas. Its MSRP was almost equal to my starting salary as an engineer at the time.

I'm surprised with all the positive experiences. Everyone I know with a z32 has problems. lol! This was my dream car as a kid, but never pulled the trigger.

My '91 (bought used in 2000 with 78k miles) went for 2-3 day spa treatments at Nissan dealerships or the local import guy every 3-4 months during the entire 2.5 years I owned her, up to 125k and left me stranded 2 times, clutch related. Was able to roll downhill and start in 5th gear each time. Like I mentioned earlier it was not a cheap used car experience by any stretch but it was still a positive experience. :) The voluptuous girlfriend you had in your 20's who cost you a bit more work and stress than the refined keeper you met years later, with both still being very positive and memorable experiences all around.

Also, one thing the Z32 had over the NSX imho is the surface treatment that was given to the lower front spoiler and rear valence (and I think the side skirts), which had a subtle texturing that hid road rash really well and allowed for virtually invisible touch-ups. That came in really handy often over the 50k miles I drove it and let me keep it looking nearly perfect from 10 feet. For this car too, when I first bought it, a local dealership told me about a guy with a mobile ding/paint touch up service who fixed road rash pock marks on hoods & fenders by air-brushing & wiping away. He treated a couple dozen noticeable ones and they were invisible from 5 feet away and lasted all 2.5 years I owned it. He had a dog named Ding and he said it was his Ding Dog.

Funny story on my final drive when heading to Erie PA to meet a buyer from Buffalo NY who sounded like a true blonde bimbo on the phone. When I called en-route to ask her what she was driving so I knew how to find her, she then asked me what I was driving. 100% true, and I can still recall the throat-choking smell of cheap hairspray, really stale perfume, and cigarettes when we first met. Ah good memories.

Back