• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX: faster in the passenger seat than in the driver seat?

I could not wait to receive my car so I went to a dealer and drove a used NSX to calm myself down. One thing that I noticed was that the car felt much faster when the guy from the dealer drove than when I was driving (surprisingly, I pushed the car very hard, and he was driving normally).

When I was driving, the car felt as if it was going 40mph when the actual speed was 60mph. However, when I was sitting in the passenger seat, the car felt 60mph when it was going 30mph. Also, the feel of acceleration due to torque was much stronger in the passenger seat.

Has anyone ever felt this way at all?

YES!

That's why as the driver of the car, one always look for go faster parts
smile.gif

Okay, I guess that I am not the only one, then
biggrin.gif

I wonder why, though
confused.gif
Why would it feel different??

I think it has to do with you being engaged with driving. You know when you are going to shift, turn, hit the gas, etc.

Many people with car sickness rarely get as sick driving as they do riding. I have trouble at the track sometimes as a passenger but never as a driver.

I think that's true for most cars. Maybe because as the driver, you have control of the car and are holding on to the steering wheel so it does't feel as fast. But as the passegner, you have no control, and are not really holding onto anything and the acceleration pushes you in your seat ?

I know when someone else drives my C5, it feels MUCH faster when I'm in the passenger seat...sometimes even scary fast depending on who is driving my car
biggrin.gif

-Awais

------------------
2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe - Not Stock [503 RWHP, 545 RWTQ]

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

www.RacingFlix.com

And I think its because all your senses are trying to ( I hope so
biggrin.gif
) concentrate on driving.. so you wont feel that much compare to the passenger who got basically nuthing to do and feel lotta more regarding the speed than you the driver are

Well, having bought my NSX seven months ago and after putting about 16000 miles on it since I must admit that my NSX is getting slower and slower.
Simply put, it doesn't feel that fast anymore. However, when I check my mirror sometimes after leaving from a traffic light there does seem to be an awful lot of space between me and the people behind.
Also, I do notice that my passengers (usually (young) females, I have to admit) do not share my feeling for slowness. So it defintely has to be something to do with the passenger-seat
wink.gif

Originally posted by MvM:
I must admit that my NSX is getting slower and slower.
Simply put, it doesn't feel that fast anymore.

Uh..oh... do I hear your wallet being empty
wink.gif
i.e. I/H/E (or SC/Turbo).., hmmm
wink.gif

Tiger,
Oh well, who knows someday I will buy a BBSC or something like it. However, I wouldn't be able to do the install myself to I would have to pay Mark as well to get overhere. And with all the extra taxes getting it to Europe would be a very expensive thing indeed.

Originally posted by MvM:
Tiger,
Oh well, who knows someday I will buy a BBSC or something like it. However, I wouldn't be able to do the install myself to I would have to pay Mark as well to get overhere. And with all the extra taxes getting it to Europe would be a very expensive thing indeed.

I hear you
frown.gif

Perhaps, it's time for Mark to move to Netherland
wink.gif

One of my favorite phrases that I picked up in NSX land is "sucking on the the go fast crack pipe!"
Says it all. More More more!!!!
Joe

Well I believe it just that the passanger doesn't feel as safe or as in control of his surrounding or actions. So everything seems to go faster because you are worrying about you having no control over this thing that my be going 60 or 120mph. Also you are more aware about the speeds that you are travelling than the driver so you notice alot about the speed that you are realy going at.

Just my thought why this happens.

Ever had the reverse being true? Where its better behind the wheel then in the passenger seat? I was trying to egg a friend on one time to raise *my* fun level to go faster because it just wasn't the same as being behind the wheel.

Though, about an hour later, we were caught and pulled over doing 98 in a 55.. the sheriff was not too pleased at us city boys..

Sunny

I guess it's the in-control factor. When I take a normal turn going around 25~30mph I almost always hear some ahhh!!! from the "passenger." Which might also explain how I feel the car is a bit faster when in cruise control.

Originally posted by Midnight_Raven:
Well I believe it just that the passanger doesn't feel as safe or as in control of his surrounding or actions. So everything seems to go faster because you are worrying about you having no control over this thing that my be going 60 or 120mph. Also you are more aware about the speeds that you are travelling than the driver so you notice alot about the speed that you are realy going at.

Just my thought why this happens.

Pretty good thought for a guy who isn't old enough to drive yet...
wink.gif

tabasco: "So that's why my wife is always yelling to slow down!"

a paradox here... usually wive's are backseat drivers... so how can they feel the speed then?

MvM: "my NSX is getting slower and slower."

...that's the reason why mynsx mods his nsx with nos and jet-rockets...
wink.gif

On a serious note: it seems slower because humans adapt to their environment. u buy a fast pc and it gets slower and slower (although that's often a Microsoft-related problem) ... it's also why some drug addicts start on small doses and slowly increase their dosage to get that 'hit'. but that's another thread altogether...

Originally posted by JaguarXJ6:
Ever had the reverse being true?

Yes. That's why I was a bit confused. Is this true for all cars? When I drove Porsche 911 (996), it seemed as if the car felt much faster in a driver's seat??

my gf is always scared sh*tless when I'm driving, but to me i'm only at 5/10ths....she should ride with me when i autocross, that would really scare her

Back