• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX on Carsales

There's another one coming to the market in a couple of weeks here in SA $200k+ silver auto low k's. To be honest their dreaming

Anyone know of any NSX's for sale in Australia? Apart from the usual overpriced examples on carsales/dealer.

I'm sure it's said a lot, but it's been my dream car since it was released & I've decided that now is the right time in my life to make it happen.
I've searched online etc, but from a previous conversation with an NSX owner, it seems many NSX's get sold before even officially going to market.

It's certainly true some are sold by word of mouth, but occasionally others appear for sale. Although you have to be quick (assuming it's a good vehicle, but most are).

What would you consider overpriced? Values are definitely rising now as more enthusiasts (like you) look to fulfil their dream.

Do you have a budget/range in mind, and are you looking for manual only or auto ?

Last edited:
It's certainly true some are sold by word of mouth, but occasionally others appear for sale. Although you have to be quick (assuming it's a good vehicle, but most are).

What would you consider overpriced? Values are definitely rising now as more enthusiasts (like you) look to fulfil their dream.

Do you have a budget/range in mind, and are you looking for manual only or auto ?

Looking for a manual only. I consider $100k+ overpriced for an auto to be honest & ~$150k overpriced for an import NSX (one on gumtree now). Prices are certainly on the rise & I'm thankfully in a position to move fast (unless I'm traveling of course), but I'm a fairly calm/level headed type of buyer.

To answer you directly though, a range of $70-110k, from high mileage early model (doesn't scare me) to reasonable mileage mid 90's spec. NSX's are particularly hard to value.

Someone just tried to scam me actually with escrow fraud, which is sad, but not put me off chasing the dream.

I'd say you're your expectations are pretty much on the (current) money, and yes they are particularly hard to value.

Where are you based?

You won't be dissapointed. Owners I know all say it is an exceptional vehicle (greatly under-rated = a good thing for those in the know :)

Good luck ... hopefully someone will read this and offer you the car you can't refuse.

Last edited:
I'm Sydney based. Happy to travel for the right car, so anyone considering selling please feel free to reach out.

Thanks for the well wishes. I look forward to the day I post on here with good news of a purchase. I did notice the NSX crowd is somewhat underground in Australia? Surprised no one had setup a local FB page etc.

I have no doubt it's an exceptional vehicle & pretty much spot on for this stage of my life. I've got a small humble collection: S8 TypeR Bathurst FD RX7, ISF, MR2 turbo (highly modified & very unreliable....lol), Evo V & Legnum VR4. As much as I love those cars, the NSX is the one I always wanted. I'm trying to resist the temptation to buy an R34 GTR, since the NSX is where my heart is.

After spending the past 20 yrs pursuing large sums of horsepower, I've matured to the point that an NSX would be perfect for me. I learned to drive in my MR2 turbo & had the pleasure of owning & regret of selling an AW11 SC. The NSX is truly the next level, drives likes an exotic & a much enhanced version of my AW11.

wow that's some addiction :)

I had to google AW11 SC thinking it was some car I'd never heard of ... !

You might want to join the Honda Sports Car Club of Australia. It's pretty low key nationally but I know the Sydney owners get together occasionally for a drive of their of S2000, Integra's, NSX etc

BTW my avatar show's 13 NSX on the old F1 grid in Adelaide in 2009. From memory all were local cars ... guess who's on pole :)

I'm Sydney based. Happy to travel for the right car, so anyone considering selling please feel free to reach out.

Good luck in finding your dream. I remember feeling the same way after having the pleasure of driving my friend's NSX twice and was VERY lucky to find my baby also through this friend's connections.

They are out there but few are available publicly, especially manuals judging by my regular visits to carsales. Your willingness to accept a high mileage NSX will make it easier, and these things are built tough.

Even after nearly 6 years, I enjoyed sitting inside for 10 minutes, just breathing and admiring. Best of luck!

I've searched online etc, but from a previous conversation with an NSX owner, it seems many NSX's get sold before even officially going to mar
ket.
Hi,
I think we may have spoken via email recently? Good luck with your search, unfortunately they only bought 180 or so NSX to Australia plus a handful of JDM ones. Dont be put off by an imported one, its a world market now for NSX with cars being shipped back to Japan and EU. Plus they are the same car (except the JDM ones have the neat half radio ariel switch! )
As sparky said joining the HSCCA is a great idea. PM or email me for details.
Cheers Scott

Thanks noisuf, good to know I'm not the only one that does that.

NSX9, yes that was me. Not put off at all by an import, especially due to the guaranteed better ratios. I never saw a clear answer as to whether AU 5spd NSX's had the same ratios as USDM or JDM?

A few years ago I was considering changing to a low ratio diff and I wanted to work out the potential gains first. But I could not find any definitive Honda document of the Australian ratios. So I determined my ratios by measuring car speed at steady 3000 rpm using GPS in 2nd, 3rd and 4th (1st and 5th are same as USDM) and then doing a little maths. At the time I concluded they were JDM ratios.

However a few years before this I did replace the OEM gearbox with a second hand (but "new") box so maybe the one I measured is not "Australian" (or I got my measurements wrong).

Can anyone point to an Australian Honda spec sheet revealing the ratios? The NSX Prime Wiki on gear ratios talks about US, Canada and Europe, but no mention of Australia ...

If necessary I could open my old gearbox up and count the teeth :)

Last edited:
Guess it's not settled yet, but probably the most "basic" way to guess, is if the AUDM cars fall out of the VTEC range when shifting from 1st to 2nd (at redline).

Speaking of falling out of VTEC ... since UK is RHD I asked related questions over on the UK NSX forum and got some great answers on how to determine ratios, including from "Kaz" one of the original NSX development team.

Check it out

Interesting that some cars in Europe did get JDM ratios...

Last edited:
Well it's lookig like Australian boxes are indeed USDM. My two serial numbers both start with J4A4 which (according to Kaz on UK forum) means they were fitted with longer ratios at the factory:
J4A4-10011978 (original)
J4A4-10011841 (replacement)

Just in case someone played with the cogs in the replacement box I'll do the road test again, but it's not straight forward. I have non-std 18" rims on the rear resulting in significantly larger OD than the OEM 16" rims, so speedo reads high. Hence need for some maths and thus risk of accuracy errors everywhere (speedo, rpm, wheel diameter etc)

As an aside I also have some data previously recorded on a run with my home made logging electronics active, including GPS speed and RPM. By coincidence it recorded 117kph at 8100rpm, but this is no help because GPS responds too slowly and so lags true speed.

Last edited:
Looking for a NSX

well thanks Scott, but not quite the same :frown:

Hi Guys, Ive just read though this thread and as a previous NSX owner in 2001 to 2007, I'm looking for an NSX (MT/Auto) white, red or black.

Can anyone help me get back into the NSX camp. Oh I use to be a heavy NSXprime member but because I haven't used it for so long I think my user name is gone/

Thanks
Joel

Welcome back Joel.
Your list should cover majority of NSX that may come onto the market, especially since you're happy to take an auto as well.
Where are you located ?

PS: Do you know your old username?

Back