• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX price drop??

26000 light years from the nearest black hole
I contacted the local Acura dealer and spoke with the sales manager. I told him I was interested in ordering an NSX and wanted the best possible price for it. I let him know that one of my friends had bought a '03 for around 75k enven though the MSRP is around 89k. He told me that I could not order an NSX for '03 as all 200 made for the US market for the year had been spoken for but that he will contact me when he can take the orders for the next year '04
BECAUSE!!!!!!
there was to be a price drop for the model year '04!!!! This is apparently due to a more powerful (V8??he did not say) NSX to be introduced in 24 months or so. This boggled my mind to say the least. I asked many questions but beyond that he would not or could not say.
I have heard, as all of you have heard, rumors for a while about a more powerful and possibly V8 version coming out but no solid information has been forthcoming. IF Acura does bring out the more powerful and I assume "upgraded" NSX it would then move up or stay put with the current price. Would it not be unreasonable for Acura to decrease
the price for the current model to increase sales and recoup some of the losses it has incurred with the very dismal sales so far?

Do you guys think he was just blowing hot air or do you think there was some truth to what he said.
I have a feeling that he probably knew something and that maybe he was not supposed to say anything but that he seemed to have let slip the information.

------------------
powerofvtec

Originally posted by liftcontrol:
He told me that I could not order an NSX for '03 as all 200 made for the US market for the year had been spoken for

Translation: His dealership has not been allocated any of the '03 cars and he is not willing to arrange with another dealership so that he can sell you a car that they are getting - probably because he doesn't see much profit in doing so.

he will contact me when he can take the orders for the next year '04

Translation: He wants to keep in contact with you in hopes of selling you a different car.

IF Acura does bring out the more powerful and I assume "upgraded" NSX it would then move up or stay put with the current price.

We have been hearing conflicting rumors about the next NSX configuration, pricing, etc for years now. There are reasons they might increase, maintain, or decrease the price on the new model, depending on the car's capabilities and their marketing strategy.

Would it not be unreasonable for Acura to decrease the price for the current model to increase sales and recoup some of the losses it has incurred with the very dismal sales so far?

With the current rebates, they have essentially already done that.

Do you guys think he was just blowing hot air or do you think there was some truth to what he said.

Hot air. The chances that your dealer would hear something definitive and that none of our other sources would, are close to nil.

Will there be a new 2004 NSX? Maybe. Will it be less expensive? Maybe. Can you get a 2003 NSX elsewhere? Yes. Should you get a 2003 NSX now, or wait for the next-gen NSX? Your decision.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 20 February 2003).]

I contacted the local Acura dealer and spoke with the sales manager. I told him I was interested in ordering an NSX and wanted the best possible price for it. I let him know that one of my friends had bought a '03 for around 75k enven though the MSRP is around 89k. He told me that I could not order an NSX for '03 as all 200 made for the US market for the year had been spoken for but that he will contact me when he can take the orders for the next year '04
BECAUSE!!!!!!
there was to be a price drop for the model year '04!!!! This is apparently due to a more powerful (V8??he did not say) NSX to be introduced in 24 months or so. This boggled my mind to say the least. I asked many questions but beyond that he would not or could not say.
I have heard, as all of you have heard, rumors for a while about a more powerful and possibly V8 version coming out but no solid information has been forthcoming. IF Acura does bring out the more powerful and I assume "upgraded" NSX it would then move up or stay put with the current price. Would it not be unreasonable for Acura to decrease
the price for the current model to increase sales and recoup some of the losses it has incurred with the very dismal sales so far?

I have a feeling that he probably knew something and that maybe he was not supposed to say anything but that he seemed to have let slip the information.

I doubt that your friends were able to get an 03 for 75K, as there is no current incentive on the car, however, there is until the end of the month $7,500 on the 02's, and the dealers are willing to deal. Since I've gotten my 02 3 weeks ago, I've heard from another forum member who was able to get his 02 for 73k, but without the keyless entry and CD changer, and other than the red 02 at Pohanka that was recently leased (I don't know the final negotiated cap cost on it), that's the best price I've heard

I agree, he is baiting you. If Joe Salesman had advanced knowledge of the new model this information would be spread through the forums like wildfire.

In addition, the 2003 cars are available. He does not want to do a "split" deal with another dealership on a fractional markup of sticker price.

I think the risk would be high to buy the 2003 without knowing of the 2004. Good luck in your decision. Perhaps you could buy a 97+ to hold you out until the new car is available. The older car should hold its value better as it has taken much of its depreciation.

I bought an early 2001 Passat for my Fiance' and they changed the car in 2001.5. It has been tough for us to sell the car as people can get the newer looking car for about the same price. Ours looks dated even though it is the same year. I would not have bought it if I knew this then...

Best of luck.

------------------
Please visit http://www.nsxparts.com. The best place to buy and sell parts for your NSX.

I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet there isn't going to be a brand-new NSX in 2004. It just doesn't make sense that they would have done an 02 update if they had a new car coming by 04.

In addition, it seems pretty unlikely that they would be able to keep an impending release so secret. The 04 model year is really right around the corner. We would have heard something by now.

Originally posted by spookyp:
I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet there isn't going to be a brand-new NSX in 2004. It just doesn't make sense that they would have done an 02 update if they had a new car coming by 04.

Funny - I would guess exactly the opposite - that the only reason they would have done the '02 update would be if they had a new car coming in '04. The fixed cost of designing/engineering/producing/supporting the update certainly can't be earned back by selling only 400 cars.

In addition, it seems pretty unlikely that they would be able to keep an impending release so secret. The 04 model year is really right around the corner. We would have heard something by now.

A 2004 model can be introduced any time from January 2003 to December 2004.

If there is going to be a next-generation NSX, regardless of what model year they designate it as, I would hope to see it on public display for the first time between October 2003 and April 2004. Just my O.

Originally posted by Silver F16:
A few Acura Mfr reps at the Chicago auto show indicated Corporate is saying a redesign is 18-24 months away.

You dashed my hopes!

But that's quite possible.

I hope they realize that during that period, the horsepower of competing cars can only continue to go in one direction...

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Funny - I would guess exactly the opposite - that the only reason they would have done the '02 update would be if they had a new car coming in '04. The fixed cost of designing/engineering/producing/supporting the update certainly can't be earned back by selling only 400 cars.

Well, how many of the facelifted cars have they sold? It's not like the facelift has had any truly significant impact on sales and with the $7500 incentive they've had to give, Im sure they are barely breaking even.

For Honda to have an entirely new NSX ready for 04, it would mean that design has been ongoing for a bit. I don't see why they would they retool, risk confusing the public and alientating buyers, and get into the press with lukewarm reviews when they have a big splash waiting in the wings.

If you're coming into the 02 model year knowing that a complete redesign is coming in two years, you might do a "special addition" or some minor visual/power tweaking (like the last of the C4 Corvettes), but the big visual change in the 02 with no change at all to the power plant seems to hint to me that they expect to keep the NSX as is for at least a few more years.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
A 2004 model can be introduced any time from January 2003 to December 2004.

Realistically, how many times in history has a "new model" been released in the absolute last 31 days of the model year? In addition, how many times has a new model sprung up totally and completely unpredicted and unhinted at out of the blue in the middle of the year? That seems like a stretch.

[This message has been edited by spookyp (edited 20 February 2003).]

Ah questions questions questions!

- Can Honda be designing a new NSX under our noses without us knowing?

- What would they consider a new NSX?

- Was the Dual Note a sign of things to come or can we expect more of the 02' type changes?

- What volume are they targeting?

- What price are they targeting?

- Is this new car a "draw" for the other Honda/Acura products or does it's ROI have to stand on its own?

- Can the Togachi plant handle the production if is much larger?

- Would they brake from current trends and build a V6?

- Originally they benchmarked the 348 and the 911 - who are the benchmarks and competitors now?

- Any big name drivers signed up for chassis tuning and development?

Nothing but questions and guessing. A great mystery in any event.

My .02 - new target is the Z06 Corvette, 911, new RX8, and the new Z. Steel body, 3.5 V6, a little smaller, similar weight, mid engine, 360 HP, and made in the US with the US market in mind. All for $50k loaded. Sales targets of 20-30k cars per year

Just a guess - I know nothing you all don't - just don't think Honda will build a car for the cultural benefits and the company image benefits. This this will have to sell in large numbers in what may be an extended slow world economy.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Haa...dealers know things??? That's the joke of the day.

Consumers can find more new product intro and release info online way sooner than dealers get their info.

Here's the logic: Why would dealers care about the news anyways...they get paid through the profit margin (if any) and the number of cars they sell, not by how much they know about the future. They all get the same info at the same time. They just want your $$$ and will do anything to get your attention. He can give you bogus news all day long to make you think he's got insider info that no other dealership can get. That's when you get sucked in by the tractor beam....zoooommmm

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

Re:matteni
Was the Dual Note a sign of things to come

OH no, please no
eek.gif

Originally they benchmarked the 348 and the 911 - who are the benchmarks and competitors now

Hopefully the 360 and 996TT
biggrin.gif

If you're coming into the 02 model year knowing that a complete redesign is coming in two years, you might do a "special addition" or some minor visual/power tweaking (like the last of the C4 Corvettes)

Exactly. The '02 NSX is exactly the minor visual tweaking that you refer to.

the big visual change in the 02 with no change at all to the power plant seems to hint to me that they expect to keep the NSX as is for at least a few more years.

When they introduced the '02, they stated flat out that they expected to sell 200 cars in '02 and 200 in '03. Period. They explicitly stated these two years only. They were very explicit that there is no expectation that the current model will be sold beyond this year.

Realistically, how many times in history has a "new model" been released in the absolute last 31 days of the model year? In addition, how many times has a new model sprung up totally and completely unpredicted and unhinted at out of the blue in the middle of the year? That seems like a stretch.

Maybe. But let's say they are introducing it as a 2004 car. It's quite possible that they could be planning to introduce it a year from now. They introduced the 2002 in February or March of 2002.

Then again, it's also possible that it's 18-24 months away.

Remember, Honda is very good at keeping its secrets until they decide to reveal them.

Sorry to stray a little off topic.

Honda had spent millions refreshing the NSX, with this purpose: To re-generate the excitement for their halo car.

The bean counters in AHM or Honda Japan trully missed this point however. If they didn't, they would bring NA2 NSX Type R stateside. By bringing this iconic car, the magazine guys would be all over it. I am pretty sure that it would be drawing comparison tests with Z06 at the very least.

I really don't have a lot of faith with either one. They engineered great cars, but they can't market them.

Re:Hopefully the 360 and 996TT
And what do you think that car would sell for

Have to guess $90-100K

I knew a guy that bought new a 94 911T, he was p/o when found out about the 993TT AWD 400HP beast later in 95($wise that is). I dont think Porsche upd the price between the two that much
confused.gif
, but did improve alot on the car. Likewise I think/HOPE Honda will do the same for us for everyone wants more...well ya know.

Can Honda be designing a new NSX under our noses without us knowing?

YES

Honda is refining their new Formula One engine, the RA002E, at Tochigi right now. The new engine is 3L, V10, 4 values per cyclinder, naturally aspirated engine which produces > 18,000 RPM's and > 800 BHP. It is mated to a 7 speed gearbox. Once this engine produces the racing results that they hope to achieve in the future (probably in 2004 or 2005) I beleive a detuned version of this engine will be used in the new NSX.

I would speculate that the new engine would be a detuned version of the 3L, V10 producing between 500 - 600 BHP at around 12,000 RPM's and produce acceleration numbers in the 0 - 60 range of 3.5 seconds and sub 12 second quarter mile. The price of the new NS-X.....significantly above the current MSRP of $89,000.

Follow the development of the above engine and the Team principal David Richards and principal drivers Jacques Villeneuve and Olivier Panis and B.A.R. (British American Racing) Honda and look for the clues. I believe the new NS-X will amaze, astonish and impress just as much or more than the original.

I would love to see Honda introduce a new NSX which is widely regarded as the best sports car in the world, such as in wildrice's scenario.

However, I would also love to see them introduce a new NSX which sells a few thousand cars a year instead of a few hundred.

Unfortunately, I can't see them meeting both objectives. The first objective will make the car too expensive to meet the second objective.

Everybody (including myself) is talking about and wanting more power i.e V8 or turbocharging. I just read in Road and Track that the new Porshe 911 GT3 is making 380HP with a normally aspirated V6. Other NA V6's are also more powerful than our NSX's. Why can't Honda just redesign the V6 to get much more power from it? Jeesh the S2000 is not far behind with a 4 cyl.

Actually, I don't like the idea of Honda selling thousands of NSX. A thousand would be fine, but "thousands" would kick it out of exotic category and bring it into mass produced car category!! This is one reason why some people like the NSX. They like that it is a rare car to see. I barely see a nsx in massachusetts and I know there has to be at least 20 or more NSX in massachusetts. Also I know that there are around 4 NSX in my Lawrence area which would include lowell and some other cities.

Actually, what I think they should do is with the more powerful engine they should also increase the width of the nsx. It would make it more exotic looking while allowing the NSX to have wider wheels, which means more grip, which means better handling.
wink.gif

Originally posted by Midnight_Raven:
Actually, what I think they should do is with the more powerful engine they should also increase the width of the nsx. It would make it more exotic looking while allowing the NSX to have wider wheels, which means more grip, which means better handling.
wink.gif

I disagree:

Wider = heavy
Bigger wheels/tires = heavy

Then you need much more motor, brakes, etc which are heavier. Eventually you have a viper or a supra.

It is a moot point as no one at Honda listens to me or recognizes my genius!
wink.gif
but - I wouldn't care if they showed the world how to build the first production carbon bodied NSX. Imagine if most of the AL/Steel parts were CF, light weight glass, etc - and the car came in at about 2400 lbs? Keep everything else the same - slap on the latest iVTECH for a few extra ponies and you have your supercar from a power/weight ratio.

In the end I really care about performance. How fast will it get to X, how fast can it lap Y. If I only cared about HP/torque I would buy a pickup truck.

I agree with Matteni, 3.5l i-VTEC and 300-500 pounds lighter and Ferrari and Porsche will be afraid once more!

Back