• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX price drop??

Or...Honda could just put the Comptech supercharger package on the NSX, slap some bigger brakes and a type "S" sticker on the car. The R&D has been done on this supercharger already. I am sure Comptech would cut Honda a deal if they order a few hundred
smile.gif

With that added horsepower and braking, the NSX would be up in the ranks of the Porsche turbo, viper, and 360 Modena. The magazines would praise Honda for rejuvinating its supercar.

I think Honda should charge about $110,000k for this car.

All this for the price of virtually no R&D. Sounds like a nice bandaid to me before Honda makes a new engine/car.

I thought I would also note that I don't care about the new stuff as I am having fun with mine.

Originally posted by matteni:
I disagree:

Wider = heavy
Bigger wheels/tires = heavy

Then you need much more motor, brakes, etc which are heavier. Eventually you have a viper or a supra.

I agree.

Wider also means less maneuverable, more space taken up when parking, more susceptible to door dings.

Imagine if most of the AL/Steel parts were CF, light weight glass, etc - and the car came in at about 2400 lbs? Keep everything else the same - slap on the latest iVTECH for a few extra ponies and you have your supercar from a power/weight ratio.

While I agree that would make the car's performance competitive, there would still be all those naysayers claiming that it still wouldn't compare with the 405 hp of the Z06, the 500 hp of the Viper, blah blah blah.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
While I agree that would make the car's performance competitive, there would still be all those naysayers claiming that it still wouldn't compare with the 405 hp of the Z06, the 500 hp of the Viper, blah blah blah.

I know you are correct but the NSX has always played to a more sophisticated buyer then the dry wrote of the numbers. For everyone else, that is why they make Mercs, Vipers, Corvettes, Supras - etc. I don't know many people that have driven a Lotus 7, Exhige, or Elise that have bitched about HP. I think it was Colin Chapman that once said "add lightness".

A sub 4 second 60 time and a sub 13 second quarter will quite any critics IMO. There are or will be plenty of "Detroit Iron" type cars over the coming years that will prove your point but at the end of the day it is power/weight that counts.

Matteni, I like the way you're thinking. However, I'm afraid if you costed out all the carbon fiber components required to achieve that kind of weight, you'd have a VERY expensive car at that point. Not that there's anything wrong with that...but

Oh heck, who cares if it's $150K! I really love what I'm driving, so the fact that I couldn't afford one wouldn't bother me THAT much. I'd still be happy for those who could. Having said that, I wouldn't recommend holding one's breath waiting for this one. I really doubt that it fits into Honda's "product roadmap". Then again, they did blow everyone away once!

- Richard
'93 Blk/Blk

My car had a near flat tire out of hybernation (don't go there) and I had my first opportunity to check out an 03' Red/Black NSX on the showroom floor.

I really had not seen the "conversion" till now and I spent a long time with Mike - the new St. Louis Acura salesman from Virginia who has a 95' NSX Red / Black himself.

I spent over an hour pouring over the car and had some interesting observations that didn't come out in the pictures.

1) Pictures don't do it justace. In the pictures I really liked the upgrades to the rear and hated the front end changes. In reality the opposite is true IMO. The rear deck lid spoiler looks very cheap IMO and the rear valance looks wrong. I don't mind the pop up lights up front as they don't stick up nearly as much as I thought. I like the front bumper - allthough it is a little "boy racer". There is a little "ledge" on both sides of the front bumper that I didn't pick up the first time I saw the pics. I like the perforated leather (allthough it STINKS like HELL). I also like the mesh side intake covers. I don't care fore the wheels and hate the color of the callipers.

All in all - very much like my 91' - which makes me very happy but probably does not make new owners happy. If there is a new NSX they better make it much better then my 91 or new buyers will be turned off and old owners will not move up - not that I would anyway - but hypothetically speaking.

My car had a near flat tire out of hybernation (don't go there)

I won't go near the "what to do with a flat" but I will note that my NSX tires consistently lose 1 psi per month during winter storage. That's not enough to make them anywhere close to flat... but I pump them back up before I even start it up.

You're starting early. I won't have mine out for another couple of months of insurance savings.
wink.gif

Acura (Honda) is very tight-lipped about anything they are designing, and that has never been more true than with the NSX.

That is one of the reasons I seldom pay any attention to what a "Salesperson" or "Dealer" says to the effect that they have somekind of insider information. Sometimes as professionals in the trade, I think they feel they need to offer us some kind of information, They sense we (the consumers), are looking for these details from them. And often we are.

That said, what I am going to say next is simply an opinion, so here it goes . . . If a "next generation NSX were to come out, I feel it quite likely would be a '05 model - WITH NO '04 model year produced.

The logic for this is, at this point, Honda would simply have to be too far along in the developement stage to come out with a all new car in JUST one year - and if this were fact, there would be enough "rumors" out now to give a feel to a 2004 model actually being produced a likely reality. This could also hurt sales for 2003 models.

The other item is if there were to be a "all new" 2nd generation NSX, Honda (Acura) would want enough space of time to have all pre-existing new NSX's (all '02's and '03's) already SOLD and in the market place. I don't think they would want both together in the showroom. This could be very poor marketing on their part.

In addition, a showroom absense of the NSX can only give a new one even greater appeal. No one could deny that.

Just my 2 cents worth, but IF there is a new model, look for a space of at least one calender year.

I hope they realize that during that period, the horsepower of competing cars can only continue to go in one direction...
the direction being -- you can never have enough
biggrin.gif

(Autoweek, Feb 17 2003)

Mercedes putting finishing touches on more powerful, turbocharged 6.5-liter V12

Mercedes-Benz’s appetite for power remains unfulfilled, according to press reports in Germany. Not content with the 500 hp delivered by the supercharged 5.4-liter V8 engine found in the SL55, the German carmaker is putting the finishing touches on an even more powerful, turbo-charged 6.5-liter V12.

The new powerplant, offspring of the 60-degree unit used in the upmarket Maybach, produces more than 600 hp along with 723 lb-ft of torque. The new engine is due to appear in a CL65 AMG model slated for launch later this year.

Originally posted by cojones:
I hope they realize that during that period, the horsepower of competing cars can only continue to go in one direction...
the direction being -- you can never have enough
biggrin.gif

(Autoweek, Feb 17 2003)

Mercedes putting finishing touches on more powerful, turbocharged 6.5-liter V12

Mercedes-Benz’s appetite for power remains unfulfilled, according to press reports in Germany. Not content with the 500 hp delivered by the supercharged 5.4-liter V8 engine found in the SL55, the German carmaker is putting the finishing touches on an even more powerful, turbo-charged 6.5-liter V12.

The new powerplant, offspring of the 60-degree unit used in the upmarket Maybach, produces more than 600 hp along with 723 lb-ft of torque. The new engine is due to appear in a CL65 AMG model slated for launch later this year.

Let us not forget cadalliacs new 1000 hp v-16

...but I will note that my NSX tires consistently lose 1 psi per month during winter storage. That's not enough to make them anywhere close to flat... but I pump them back up before I even start it up...

You mean you actually store the car on the wheels/tires you use in daily driving? How cute!
wink.gif
wink.gif

I agree with what wildrice is saying, make the NSX undoutably the best car in the world. It would take most out of the market,me too, but don't degrade it into a Vette competator, keep it a Ferrari competitor. and don't make different versions of the NSX like other posers, just one X. I hate going for a 15 minute ride and seeing 3 or 4 Vettes. Every losers got one, keep them exotic and a rare thing of beauty.
Make it so one has to rearange their priorities to have one, early NSX's are even getting easy to get. Only make a few hundred and whatever Honda ends up doing RAISE THE PRICE! I don't want to see evey loser ricer and guys going through mid life crisis's riding in one. Keep the NSX a special car to be enjoyed by few, and envyed by all!!
Dan

Actually, I don't like the idea of Honda selling thousands of NSX.

It was always Honda's plan and design to sell several thousand NSXs per year. The plant and car were designed for that volume.

If Honda sold 5,000 per year the car would still be very rare and exclusive.

And then we at least would have a more active community of owners and aftermarket parts would be more available and less costly too.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
2003 MINI Cooper S - On Order - All Black
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Originally posted by Dan Ciesniewski:
I agree with what wildrice is saying, make the NSX undoutably the best car in the world. It would take most out of the market,me too, but don't degrade it into a Vette competator, keep it a Ferrari competitor. and don't make different versions of the NSX like other posers, just one X. I hate going for a 15 minute ride and seeing 3 or 4 Vettes. Every losers got one, keep them exotic and a rare thing of beauty.
Make it so one has to rearange their priorities to have one, early NSX's are even getting easy to get. Only make a few hundred and whatever Honda ends up doing RAISE THE PRICE! I don't want to see evey loser ricer and guys going through mid life crisis's riding in one. Keep the NSX a special car to be enjoyed by few, and envyed by all!!
Dan

I've got a slight problem with your post, I've recently (less than a month ago) moved from my 2000 Vette convertible to an 02 NSX, I didn't think that I was a "loser", but now I'm being told that I am. I've always liked driving what I "want" and/or "like". I really don't like seeing the car I'm driving coming and going, although it's exclusivity is one of the things that attracted me to the NSX, it was the NSX that sold me, not that there's only approximately 200 p/year sold in the US. I think that an "elitist" attitude is the wrong approach to take. I know that when I had the Vette, it was a great car, more car for the buck than almost anyother sports car on the road, while in many people's opinion, the NSX is an overpriced Honda, I think that it's a gorgeous exotic. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I don't care what other people think about what I drive. I care what I think, and that's why I have a NSX. If price is the sole determinant of why you buy a car, I think that you should get on line for the new Maybach and be the only one on your block to have one. Just because the new Porsche truck has a Porsche badge on it, some people will buy it, just for the panache, me, I'll buy a truck (if I want one) for the utility needs that it answers, if I want a "sport truck" (is there really such an animal) I'd consider all of the offerings by their merits, not by the name of the manufacturer. But that's me, I've always marched to the sound of a different drummer. I enjoy my NSX because.........

Originally posted by Jimbo:
It was always Honda's plan and design to sell several thousand NSXs per year. The plant and car were designed for that volume.

I believe the original plan and design were to sell about 7,000 NSXs per year worldwide, with roughly 3,000 destined for the United States and the same number for the domestic market.

Back